Salvadors

I WOULD JUST LIKE TO CLEAR A DISAGREEMENT I HAD WITH A SO CALLED TOP DJ/COLLECTOR LAST YEAR AT SUNDERLAND MINI NIGHTER, I KNOW WHAT I THINK IS RIGHT THAT THERE WERE TWO RELEASES OF THIS RECORD BOTH ON GREEN WISE WORLD, THIS GUY INSISTED THEY WERE BLUE AND HE PAYED £3000 FOR HIS, CALLING TREV, THINK YOU KNOW WHERE THIS IS GOING :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 90
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I WOULD JUST LIKE TO CLEAR A DISAGREEMENT I HAD WITH A SO CALLED TOP DJ/COLLECTOR LAST YEAR AT SUNDERLAND MINI NIGHTER, I KNOW WHAT I THINK IS RIGHT THAT THERE WERE TWO RELEASES OF THIS RECORD BOTH ON GREEN WISE WORLD, THIS GUY INSISTED THEY WERE BLUE AND HE PAYED £3000 FOR HIS, CALLING TREV, THINK YOU KNOW WHERE THIS IS GOING :thumbsup:

As well s the blue styrene boot, wasn't there a vinyl blue copy bootleg ?

Social source share

wasnt there a lighter blue boot?

makes me laugh why do people lie about what they have? let alone paying £3000 come on!

Well its the first time ive come across this guy, in 30yrs and he was quite adamant, according to him the difference between the blue original and the boot is the width of the run out groove, yes by the way i think there was a light blue boot

Social source share

I WOULD JUST LIKE TO CLEAR A DISAGREEMENT I HAD WITH A SO CALLED TOP DJ/COLLECTOR LAST YEAR AT SUNDERLAND MINI NIGHTER, I KNOW WHAT I THINK IS RIGHT THAT THERE WERE TWO RELEASES OF THIS RECORD BOTH ON GREEN WISE WORLD, THIS GUY INSISTED THEY WERE BLUE AND HE PAYED £3000 FOR HIS, CALLING TREV, THINK YOU KNOW WHERE THIS IS GOING :D

now then harry......yep i know where this one is going.....jimmy trub & his one off blue salvadors, just refresh my memory here...did he play it before or after julian covey....a little knowledge can be dangerous, not to mention expensive

Social source share

Well its the first time ive come across this guy, in 30yrs and he was quite adamant, according to him the difference between the blue original and the boot is the width of the run out groove, yes by the way i think there was a light blue boot

Yes there is a light blue boot bought it about 30 years ago

Social source share

Just dug out JM's guide. The counterfiet was green. and vinyl. No blue original though as Harry said.

just to clear this up,....it was booted 3 times...light blue label - styrene, dark blue label - styrene, olive green label - vinyl

original....olive green label - vinyl... west coast & chicago pressings

whoops...almost forgot.....the one off blue label original

Edited by soulman1964
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

To clear a few questions up on the Salvadors.

Quoting John Manship:

1. very first original press is St. Louis, vinyl is THICKER @ (1.18mm) with NO pimples in the vinyl, the green label is a deeper shade. I only known of one copy of this press, Carl Willingham owned it, I sold it to Australian collector for £2500 in really poor shape vg-. But it was the ONLY known copy. (I own a mint on of these and there are also one or two others from the same source in the states)

2.Chicago press thinner vinyl @ (1.09mm vinyl) label is a lighter shade ie (the one we have on auction)has TWO visible pimples on the playing surface, these do NOT affect play but you can see them if you twist the record in the daylight. The matrx in the deadwax reads 62771 this number is lightly scratched in and staggered. Worth 2500 to 3500 we'd guess

The deadwax matrix on both presses are IDENTICAL ie using the same masterplate.

3. The PB boots as Ted M. rightly points out came out of Los Angeles via our friend and yours Simon S. He did Mel Britt, George Blackwell, Johnny Vanelli, and many others at the same time all have P.B. in the deadwax.

This gave birth to the story of Bob Cattaneo travelling from S.F. to L.A. to buy Simons latest fantastic find. When Bob saw all these top titles in mint condition he smelt a rat and on close inspection found P.B. in all the 45 deadwax's. Bob told Simon you can't sell these as originals. Simon admitted they looked a bit NEW, so he got George Blackwell our its sleeve and violently rubbed it on his carpet. (a ploy used on the Four Vandals scam) "there they look used now!!"

4.Then there is the dark blue label and obvious bootleg in styrene 1976 repro Delta # 100273

5. Then there is the same with a Light blue label.

There was a thread about this a year ago: https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30024

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

To clear a few questions up on the Salvadors.

Quoting John Manship:

1. very first original press is St. Louis, vinyl is THICKER @ (1.18mm) with NO pimples in the vinyl, the green label is a deeper shade. I only known of one copy of this press, Carl Willingham owned it, I sold it to Australian collector for £2500 in really poor shape vg-. But it was the ONLY known copy.

2.Chicago press thinner vinyl @ (1.09mm vinyl) label is a lighter shade ie (the one we have on auction)has TWO visible pimples on the playing surface, these do NOT affect play but you can see them if you twist the record in the daylight. The matrx in the deadwax reads 62771 this number is lightly scratched in and staggered. Worth 2500 to 3500 we'd guess

The deadwax matrix on both presses are IDENTICAL ie using the same masterplate.

3. The PB boots as Ted M. rightly points out came out of Los Angeles via our friend and yours Simon S. He did Mel Britt, George Blackwell, Johnny Vanelli, and many others at the same time all have P.B. in the deadwax.

This gave birth to the story of Bob Cattaneo travelling from S.F. to L.A. to buy Simons latest fantastic find. When Bob saw all these top titles in mint condition he smelt a rat and on close inspection found P.B. in all the 45 deadwax's. Bob told Simon you can't sell these as originals. Simon admitted they looked a bit NEW, so he got George Blackwell our its sleeve and violently rubbed it on his carpet. (a ploy used on the Four Vandals scam) "there they look used now!!"

4.Then there is the dark blue label and obvious bootleg in styrene 1976 repro Delta # 100273

5. Then there is the same with a Light blue label.

so, jimmy my boy, if you knew all this why were you telling people that you had an original on a blue label ??????????????????????

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

so, jimmy my boy, if you knew all this why were you telling people that you had an original on a blue label ??????????????????????

The guy who started this thread seems to have wrong information about prices so I wouldn't take too much notice, man :D

Social source share

The guy who started this thread seems to have wrong information about prices so I wouldn't take too much notice, man :D

The guy who started this thread is the guy you were talking to that night, the conversation was started talking about records that you don`t see and we got around to the salvadors, then you told me the originals were blue? wich came as a complete suprise to me as i actually owned the green copy twice throughout nearly 30yrs of collecting then i was informed of the price of said item on BLUE? wise world by yourself, MAN :huh:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

The guy who started this thread is the guy you were talking to that night, the conversation was started talking about records that you don`t see and we got around to the salvadors, then you told me the originals were blue? wich came as a complete suprise to me as i actually owned the green copy twice throughout nearly 30yrs of collecting then i was informed of the price of said item on BLUE? wise world by yourself, MAN :D

It's a blue to my eyes, greenie blue, or bluey green with a hint of olive. A bit like the English channel on a sunny day.

15026927.JPG

Social source share

I may have sorted it!!

I've got a St.Louis press and to me it's green. Just popped upstairs and showed it the wife. She was impressed. I then showed her the Salvadores and asked her what colour she thought the label was and her answer was "torquoise blue"

JT is obviously more in touch with his feminine side that the rest of us neanderthals.

ROD

Social source share

Here's my two pennorth, for what it's worth.....I'm with James on this, I see the colour as more blue than green.....I have an original which I bought off Carl Fortnum many years ago, double dimple an' all....with the matrix at 6 o'clock theres a dimple at around 3 o'clock towards the playout and one around 10 o'clock near the beginning.....there is a greenish tinge in the colour, but as for olive green, I'm afraid I don't see it myself....hope this helps......or maybe stirs it up a bit :)

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Here's my two pennorth, for what it's worth.....I'm with James on this, I see the colour as more blue than green.....I have an original which I bought off Carl Fortnum many years ago, double dimple an' all....with the matrix at 6 o'clock theres a dimple at around 3 o'clock towards the playout and one around 10 o'clock near the beginning.....there is a greenish tinge in the colour, but as for olive green, I'm afraid I don't see it myself....hope this helps......or maybe stirs it up a bit :)

I think someone was kind of hoping that I had a boot of it, instead of the rarer first press and Mr Crosby was looking for open Schadenfreude.

Was there some bad gear around at the weekend? Everyone seems to be looking for a Roman holiday today, that normally happens on a Tuesday... :P:P

Social source share

Certainly not, all the information ive collected over the years, is through talking to people more knowledgable than myself, so when i was told it was BLUE i simply asked a question, it was yourself who gave me the information, if you would have told me the copy was turquoise, then i would have made no resemblance to the bootlegg as for your other comment keep your opinions to yourself :)

Social source share

I think it's Pantone 5477 myself.

If you break that colour down as RGB it comes out as Red=33, Green=83, Blue=82.

On the RGB spectrum these values range from 0 to 255. A value of R=0, G=0, B=0 is equivalent to black, and R=255, G=255, B=255 is white.

It is therefore more "green" than "blue", but it's extremely close.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

On the RGB spectrum these values range from 0 to 255. A value of R=0, G=0, B=0 is equivalent to black, and R=255, G=255, B=255 is white.

The label is therefore marginally more "blue" than "green", but it's close.

Nerd :)

Social source share

It is therefore more "green" than "blue", but it's extremely close.

Ok Gareth whats this C6H5CH=CH2

Social source share

Ok Gareth whats this C6H5CH=CH2

Oh I know this too! :) Styrene, or with another name, phenylethene. My lecturer in organic chemistry said it was a very strong and useful material! When I told him it was the devil's invention he gave me a puzzled look. He had never heard they made records of it, but said "they must be good...".

Edited by Helena
Social source share

Oh I know this too! :P Styrene, or with another name, phenylethene. My lecturer in organic chemistry said it was a very strong and useful material! When I told him it was the devil's invention he gave me a puzzled look. He had never heard they made records of it, but said "they must be good...".

Nerd :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert