Our Spanish Freinds

Pete S

Quote from Edu today on Enelclub (yahoo group of 1500+ members)

"If you know Pete Smith as you say, you'd certainly know that is a

person prone to lose his temper quite easily. I had a problem with

him -well, not really me, more my ex-girlfriend- about a certain

copy of Freddie Chavez some years ago. Can't recall what was all

about, but i remember that he was quite rude with her. I'm sorry to

say that, but some UK dealers have this (at its best) patronising

attitude towards European customers, as if we didn't know our ass

from our elbow when we talk about northern soul collecting and as if

we should have to accept all they say as gospel truth. Point is, you

don't want to be treated like a three year old when spending your

hard earned dosh, do you? Besides of that, i could name one big name

dealer who's well dodgy (i.e selling reissues for originals, keeping

your money for months and finally not sending what you asked for in

the first place, having a simply unbearable snobbish attitude

against any kind of criticism against his -very- useless staff,

etc..., "

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

• Replies 55
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Pete Griffin

etc..., "

By the way Pete. that record you sent me wasnt mint -, it is like new, dont think it has ever been played on the decks. :ohmy: your getting famous Pete for all the wrong reasons :lol:

Social source share

Personally, I've got a few Spanish customers and I've never had a problem with any of them. Always polite, know their stuff and best of all always pay quickly :ohmy:

I'm happy to welcome any Spanish (or in fact any nationality) soul fans to become customers. All I need to do now is learn a couple of languages so I can actually speak to some of them, always find it embarassing that nearly every european I've met can speak at least a little english and yet 99% of us Brits know just about enough to ask for a pint!

Adam.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Personally, I've got a few Spanish customers and I've never had a problem with any of them. Always polite, know their stuff and best of all always pay quickly :ohmy:

I'm happy to welcome any Spanish (or in fact any nationality) soul fans to become customers. All I need to do know is learn a couple of languages so I can actually speak to some of them, always find it embarassing that nearly every european I've met can speak at least a little english and yet 99% of us Brits know just about enough to ask for a pint!

Adam.

I also have some great Spanish customers Adam but the majority dislike you, no matter who you are, so long as you're from the UK. If you saw the venom dished out against the Brits on the Spanish soul forums it would make you wince. Not everyone feels the same obviously, but you would be shocked

Social source share

I also have some great Spanish customers Adam but the majority dislike you, no matter who you are, so long as you're from the UK. If you saw the venom dished out against the Brits on the Spanish soul forums it would make you wince. Not everyone feels the same obviously, but you would be shocked

Never been on the Spanish forums myself, but I'm guessing it's like the majority of forums, where a vocal minority can give a false impression. I can only speak of my personal experience with european customers and all have been easy to deal with and friendly so I find it hard to believe that the majority of them dislike me purely because I'm english.

Adam.

Social source share

Pete Smith AKA Sir Francis Drake

:ohmy:

I have dealt with Pete a couple of times (with non soul items) and found the bloke a pleasure to deal with

Shane

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

"Can't recall what was all

about, but i remember that he was quite rude with her."

"Point is, you

hard earned dosh, do you?"

i would never accept this! so i agree with Edu in that point.. respect and education first.. i dont know about what happened, and i dont want to know.. i just give my opinion..

cheers

Ana

Edited by soulie_girl_80
Social source share

"Point is, you

hard earned dosh, do you?"

i never would accept this! so i agree with Edu.. respect and education first.. i dont know about what happened, and i dont want to know.. i just give my opinion..

cheers

Ana

Well if you don't know, how can you comment?

Social source share

In otherwords, clutching at straws, I haven't sold him or whatsername a record for 9 years or so, I have neverhad an original copy of Freddie Chavez, so she probably tried selling me a bootleg as an original, thats all I can think of, and even then I wouldn't have been rude to her, I'm only rude to people on soul source who deserve it :ohmy:

Social source share

This is the top topic in both forums.

Anyway, I know Paloma for a long time and bought some records to her and never have a problem. She's so serious with the condition of the records. On the other hand, I have bought records to Pete some years ago and never have a problem with the transactions. So, I honesty think that this is not UK dealers vs Spanish costumers, both should talk in private about this problem and try to get a solution.

Best

Borja

Social source share

Well if you don't know, how can you comment?

i think there was a misunderstanding there.. i just know what i read, what i meant is i dont know if what he, you, whoever says its true or not.. my english is not perfect and im sorry if i dont explain myself very well sometimes..

so.. what i just wanted to say is i wouldnt accept a dealer being rude to me, thats all..

Social source share

In otherwords, clutching at straws, I haven't sold him or whatsername a record for 9 years or so, I have neverhad an original copy of Freddie Chavez, so she probably tried selling me a bootleg as an original, thats all I can think of, and even then I wouldn't have been rude to her, I'm only rude to people on soul source who deserve it :ohmy:

Hi, Pete,

It was you who was selling the Freddie Chavez, not her. If you never had an original copy of Freddie Chavez, what were you selling her...? :lol:

The simple assumption that was her the one being dodgy is quite rich, isn't it?

Besides of that, i've sold you some stuff on eBay not so long ago and was buying from you when you still were doing Beatin' Rhythm, so we know each other.

Best regards

Eduard

Social source share

This is the top topic in both forums.

Anyway, I know Paloma for a long time and bought some records to her and never have a problem. She's so serious with the condition of the records. On the other hand, I have bought records to Pete some years ago and never have a problem with the transactions. So, I honesty think that this is not UK dealers vs Spanish costumers, both should talk in private about this problem and try to get a solution.

Best

Borja

agree with you Borja! :ohmy: hows everything going by the way!!??

Social source share

Hey Ana, nice of you to post this soul source link on the enelclub forum, so you're a secret spy eh :ohmy:

Deleted, can't be bothered with an arguement.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

etc..., "

By the way, also said that i never had any problems with the stuff i bought off Pete (including a John Andrews Uk demo for 50 pounds... :ohmy: ).

I'd say that 90 % of the UK dealers i've had deals with were nice/honest people, 10 % were total assholes...i reckon that, from the UK dealers point of view, the proportion of honest buyers should be the same (including Spanish, i guess... :lol:). If anybody wants to think that all people in the northern soul scene are crooks it's his/her/their problem, certainly not mine...

Best

Eduard

Social source share

etc..., "

By the way, also said that i never had any problems with the stuff i bought off Pete (including a John Andrews Uk demo for 50 pounds... :ohmy: ).

I'd say that 90 % of the UK dealers i've had deals with were nice/honest people, 10 % were total assholes...i reckon that, from the UK dealers point of view, the proportion of honest buyers should be the same (including Spanish, i guess... :lol:). If anybody wants to think that all people in the northern soul scene are crooks it's his/her/their problem, certainly not mine...

Best

Eduard

Social source share

:ohmy:

are you sure i'm the spy? or Mark? Edu is my friend so i had to tell him about it. i shouldnt have send it on the forum, just to him.. but well, its done now..

If someone types something and posts it anywhere, it's there for all the world to see. If Edu didn't want it to be read, he shouldn't have posted it. Not that I give a toss about something thats supposed to have happend almost 10 years ago. Funny that he didn't mention how much help I gave his girlfriend when she got ripped off by some Belgian. I even spoke to their police on her behalf.

Social source share

Aha! Nice to see, that the Battles starts again, from an outstanding point of view.

England vs. Spain. Like, for hundreds of years, now. This thread can become better than such great hollywood films like "Elisabeth".

A new chapter in the "Legenda Negra"!

Well, records are a kind of religion, too.

:lol::(:(:D:(

Cheers,

Martin :ohmy:

PS: Always liked to deal with you, Pete, also we didn't for some year now.

Edited by soulie78
Social source share

If someone types something and posts it anywhere, it's there for all the world to see. If Edu didn't want it to be read, he shouldn't have posted it. Not that I give a toss about something thats supposed to have happend almost 10 years ago. Funny that he didn't mention how much help I gave his girlfriend when she got ripped off by some Belgian. I even spoke to their police on her behalf.

That's very true, and i thank you for that...so many people ripped off by that bastard...now, that WAS a crook! :ohmy:

Best

Edu

Social source share

Fine with me...

Eduard

Only reason I opened it was because I didn't see the relevance of bringing up something that happened many years ago (which I honestly don't remember and I can never remember arguing with Nina either) - I certainly don't everrememberhaving had a problem with you Eduard, in the early days of soul on the internet we used to do quite a lot of business I remember...so it was just a bit weird, though presumably because one starts having a pop at me, then everyone joins in.

OK I'll close this before 9 o clock

Social source share

Only reason I opened it was because I didn't see the relevance of bringing up something that happened many years ago (which I honestly don't remember and I can never remember arguing with Nina either) - I certainly don't everrememberhaving had a problem with you Eduard, in the early days of soul on the internet we used to do quite a lot of business I remember...so it was just a bit weird, though presumably because one starts having a pop at me, then everyone joins in.

OK I'll close this before 9 o clock

It wasn't meant as a personal go at you, i assure you... s**t hits the fan and all that.

Would be good if people took constructive criticism in a more mature way though...and no, im not talking about you either :lol::ohmy:

Best

Eduard

Social source share

It wasn't meant as a personal go at you, i assure you... s**t hits the fan and all that.

Would be good if people took constructive criticism in a more mature way though...and no, im not talking about you either :lol::ohmy:

Best

Eduard

I understand what you are saying about made to feel patronised by UK sellers/collectors. I get exactly the same when buying reggae and black guys look at me as if I'm from another planet and I've often been asked what I'm doing there looking at 'their' records

Social source share

Good record that, "Zorro" by David Bowie

:):lol: As was most things he did pre 78 ish :thumbsup:

Quick note to all you Spanish guys, top bloke Pete & one of, if not the, fairest dealers in the UK !!

Alright he might occasionaly come across as moody behind the keyboard, but with him, if you buy a Spade you get a f*****g Spade !! :ohmy:

& at a good price !

& a few more choice expletives too sometimes ! :D

Social source share