House Music

Barry

Frankie Knuckles over quote:

But it ain't, is it really....in truth 'House Music' is the Chicago based/Euro involved fusion of styles....all the vocal NY stuff that we (Our scene) deem acceptable (Why? as it's formula that hasn't changed since we were babbies) is simply a quantised, sequenced continution of the stuff we grew up with and are familiar with.

Fair do's - the studio orchestra is out the door but what do we still have - melody, brass, keyboards, hi hats and sweet black vocals....just Disco.

Todays nighter played House Music is no different to Vicki Sue Robinson.

Word!!

Social source share

• Replies 157
  • Views 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Ivor Jones

Frankie Knuckles over quote:

But it ain't, is it really....in truth 'House Music' is the Chicago based/Euro involved fusion of styles....all the vocal NY stuff that we (Our scene) deem acceptable (Why? as it's formula that hasn't changed since we were babbies) is simply a quantised, sequenced continution of the stuff we grew up with and are familiar with.

Fair do's - the studio orchestra is out the door but what do we still have - melody, brass, keyboards, hi hats and sweet black vocals....just Disco.

Word!!

HELLO THERE BARRY,

DONT QUITE UNDERSTAND THIS THREAD MATE....... DOES THIS MEAN YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE WITH MR KNUCKLES` POINT OF VEIW........? :ohmy:

SEE I LIKE A BIT OF DISCO MYSELF....... AS LONG AS ITS OF THE SOULFULL VARIETY :lol:

I THINK THATS THE TROUBLE WITH HOUSE [AND DISCO] IN GENERAL.......MOST OF IT ISNT.

WHAT SAY YOU BARRY ?

BEST, IVOR

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

It all sounds the same to me

SO DOES EVERYTHING IF YOU DONT REALLY CARE FOR IT PETE :ohmy:

Edited by Ivor Jones
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

I couldn't disagree less :D with all those points, Ivor - especially the "liking Soulful Disco" bit...

OH NO :ohmy: IM REALLY CONFUSED NOW.... :thumbsup:

DOES THAT MEAN YOU ARE LIKING THE DISCO MUSIC OR NOT :)

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

HELLO THERE BARRY,

DONT QUITE UNDERSTAND THIS THREAD MATE....... DOES THIS MEAN YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE WITH MR KNUCKLES` POINT OF VEIW........? :thumbsup:

SEE I LIKE A BIT OF DISCO MYSELF....... AS LONG AS ITS OF THE SOULFULL VARIETY :ohmy:

I THINK THATS THE TROUBLE WITH HOUSE [AND DISCO] IN GENERAL.......MOST OF IT ISNT.

WHAT SAY YOU BARRY ?

BEST, IVOR

You've summed up House music perfectly. A friend of mine in Ireland said of the "Soulful House" genre that it is comprised of records that appeal to House Music fans and tunes that appeal to Modern Soul fans. The amount of tunes that fit in to this latter category are in the minority.

A few that spring to mind are:

Luther Vandross- Are you using me

Hardsoul feat Ron Carroll- Back together

Kenny Bobbien- Rise Above the Storm

Michelle Weeks- By Your Side

Kerri Chandler- Tomorrow

I reckon these tunes could be spun in a Modern Room. They are much more Soul to me than House.

I like some Jazz/House stuff as well.

One of my main criticisms of the Soulful House genre is that they are trying to recreate the classic 7ts Soul/Disco sound and in most cases they fail to do that. Often the vocal can be good but the music in the background is just very sterile a lot of the time and the prominent repetitive beat is very boring. However, there are some gems to be found if you look hard. But I prefer the old Soul sounds of the 6ts/7ts/8ts to be honest.

Social source share

But if you take 2 MDMA pills and put your back against the speaker .... it sounds like SKA :thumbsup:

Next thing you know you will be selling usa "Soulfuric" releases or working for "Defected" records !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...I think you're being really unfair to the late Vicki Sue, myself...

Social source share

...I think you're being really unfair to the late Vicki Sue, myself...

I played - as a whim / spur of the moment thing - " TTBA " at a night recently , and the floor erupted .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I played - as a whim / spur of the moment thing - " TTBA " at a night recently , and the floor erupted .......

Malc Burton

As well it should, Malc - once a top tune, always a top tune! :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

You've summed up House music perfectly. A friend of mine in Ireland said of the "Soulful House" genre that it is comprised of records that appeal to House Music fans and tunes that appeal to Modern Soul fans. The amount of tunes that fit in to this latter category are in the minority.

A few that spring to mind are:

Luther Vandross- Are you using me

Hardsoul feat Ron Carroll- Back together

Kenny Bobbien- Rise Above the Storm

Michelle Weeks- By Your Side

Kerri Chandler- Tomorrow

I reckon these tunes could be spun in a Modern Room. They are much more Soul to me than House.

I like some Jazz/House stuff as well.

One of my main criticisms of the Soulful House genre is that they are trying to recreate the classic 7ts Soul/Disco sound and in most cases they fail to do that. Often the vocal can be good but the music in the background is just very sterile a lot of the time and the prominent repetitive beat is very boring. However, there are some gems to be found if you look hard. But I prefer the old Soul sounds of the 6ts/7ts/8ts to be honest.

AH PROBLEMS,PROBLEMS ANDY.....

THIS ARGUMENT HAS BEEN RAGING SINCE THE 70`S I GUESS IN ONE FORM OR ANOTHER,SO I DONT THINK WERE GONNA PUT IT RIGHT JUST NOW..........

IT DOES MAKE ME LAUGH THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE ON THIS SCENE FOR WHOM DISCO IS A DIRTY WORD,ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU CONSIDER A VERY LARGE PERCENTAGE OF WHAT IS ACCEPTABLE MODERN SOUL ON THE SCENE WAS VERY DEFINATELY AIMED AT THE DISCO MARKET..........

DONT FORGET THAT THE REAL BLUEPRINT FOR DISCO WAS THE PHILLY SOUND[HAS THERE BEEN A MORE SOULFULL LABEL IN THE MAINSTREAM ?], ALL THE DODGY STUFF CAME LATER AS THE MUSIC INDUSTRY CASHED IN.......

HOUSE MUSIC WAS ONLY EVER AN EXTENSION OF THE DISCO STUFF,GOOD AND BAD.

MY PROBLEM WITH IT IS THAT THERES VERY LITTLE OF ANY SUBSTANCE WORTH ACTUALLY GETTING EXCITED ABOUT. LIKE MANY PEOPLE ON THIS SCENE I HAVE BEEN BUYING WHAT I THINK ARE THE RELEVANT AND BEST EXAMPLES OF SOULFULL HOUSE/DISCO FOR MANY YEARS AND SOME ARE UNDOUBTEDLY BRILLIANT. BUT, GOOD AS THEY ARE, IN MOST CASES,I PERSONALLY FEEL THAT THE MUSICIANSHIP ON MOST[NOTICE I SAID "MOST",NOT "ALL"]NEWER STUFF PALES IN COMPARRISON TO THE OLD.

AS A FOOTNOTE,I DO PLAY MANY OF THESE TYPE OF RECORDS BOTH DEEJAYING AND AT HOME OR IN THE CAR...........

I SUPPOSE ITS ALL DOWN TO PERSONAL TASTE, THEY ALL SOUND THE SAME DONT THEY :ohmy:

LOVE, IVOR

PS, BISLEY MODERN ROOM SATURDAY. MODERN SOUL IN ALL ITS GUISES TO BE SURE :ohmy:

Social source share

Michelle Weeks - what a voice!

Had a soulful house session friday night till the early hours on the decks, some of the finnest music to date is still coming from Chicago, NY and Detroit all though Detroit is mainly techno/trancey nowadays. some of the vocalists are just incredible.

Defected

Soulfuric

King street

countless white labels

All pushing out quality vocal house

Social source share

It all sounds like poo to me :ohmy: errrrrrrr does poo have a sound?, if not house/funk/disco would be it :ohmy:

QoFxx

AH PROBLEMS,PROBLEMS ANDY.....

THIS ARGUMENT HAS BEEN RAGING SINCE THE 70`S I GUESS IN ONE FORM OR ANOTHER,SO I DONT THINK WERE GONNA PUT IT RIGHT JUST NOW..........

IT DOES MAKE ME LAUGH THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE ON THIS SCENE FOR WHOM DISCO IS A DIRTY WORD,ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU CONSIDER A VERY LARGE PERCENTAGE OF WHAT IS ACCEPTABLE MODERN SOUL ON THE SCENE WAS VERY DEFINATELY AIMED AT THE DISCO MARKET..........

DONT FORGET THAT THE REAL BLUEPRINT FOR DISCO WAS THE PHILLY SOUND[HAS THERE BEEN A MORE SOULFULL LABEL IN THE MAINSTREAM ?], ALL THE DODGY STUFF CAME LATER AS THE MUSIC INDUSTRY CASHED IN.......

HOUSE MUSIC WAS ONLY EVER AN EXTENSION OF THE DISCO STUFF,GOOD AND BAD.

MY PROBLEM WITH IT IS THAT THERES VERY LITTLE OF ANY SUBSTANCE WORTH ACTUALLY GETTING EXCITED ABOUT. LIKE MANY PEOPLE ON THIS SCENE I HAVE BEEN BUYING WHAT I THINK ARE THE RELEVANT AND BEST EXAMPLES OF SOULFULL HOUSE/DISCO FOR MANY YEARS AND SOME ARE UNDOUBTEDLY BRILLIANT. BUT, GOOD AS THEY ARE, IN MOST CASES,I PERSONALLY FEEL THAT THE MUSICIANSHIP ON MOST[NOTICE I SAID "MOST",NOT "ALL"]NEWER STUFF PALES IN COMPARRISON TO THE OLD.

AS A FOOTNOTE,I DO PLAY MANY OF THESE TYPE OF RECORDS BOTH DEEJAYING AND AT HOME OR IN THE CAR...........

I SUPPOSE ITS ALL DOWN TO PERSONAL TASTE, THEY ALL SOUND THE SAME DONT THEY :lol:

LOVE, IVOR

PS, BISLEY MODERN ROOM SATURDAY. MODERN SOUL IN ALL ITS GUISES TO BE SURE :lol:

Not very keen on modern either, don't mind the odd hour at an accross the board night but that's about it. Try as I might to get into it, it just doens't do it for me.............................

QoFxx

Social source share

The one thing I love about this scene is the different angles we all take on the music.

Only last week I heard a conversation in which TTBA was described as a "Northern Soul" classic.

On here it has been likened to House.

I see it as a "New York Disco Classic".

In the glory days of Motown they made soul records with a danceable beat - this leads me to think that they must have been making "Soulful Dance " music.

Nothing really changes - only the "handles" we put on the music.

PS - Good shout on Vicki Sues version of Daylight - I've been boring people to death for many a year with the same opinion.

Social source share

And the Motown formula, as an example, didn't????? It didn't have a "sound" that was like a signature??

As Ivor says, if you don't like it, you are probably likely to say this!

Cheers,

Mark R

I still don't believe you can create soul music using computers and especially electronic percussion. Motown records of the 60's had a heart and a soul, this music is just cold.

Social source share

Brilliant! Another well thought out post,regarding the Modern side of the Soul scene from Chrissie O

the poo bit wasn't referring to modern as such,but to house, disco, and funk, which in my mind is somethng slightly different.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

I still don't believe you can create soul music using computers and especially electronic percussion. Motown records of the 60's had a heart and a soul, this music is just cold.

Agree with you up to a point Pete - however comparing Motown to House music leads me to this conclusion.

The Northern scene only plays a very small percentage of the music produced in the sixties at Motown.

There are plenty of modern dance records that do use traditional instrumentation - again the modern dance scene only plays a small percentage of countless titles which are released every week - it's all about picking the right ones. In fact much the same as picking the "right" sixties Motown tunes.

There are plenty of modern tunes with fantastic soulful vocals.

Again it is all about conceptions of the music - many people who were never into northern soul & buy contemporary dance music see northern as sounding all the same.

Social source share

House,Disco and Funk are all played,and are part of the Genre commonly referred to as Modern Soul.

Well it must be a very wide genre, where as I said in an earlier post, I have no objection to the odd hour of what I personally consider to be modern, i.e. 70s/ early 80s danceable soul, but when it comes down to electronic house or funk music I think that is something quite different. To my knowledge I have not heard House or Funk played at any of the across the board nights or modern rooms that I have been in although I may of missed it cos I don't tend to spend more than an hour in there at any one time, but this is only my personal experience.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Well it must be a very wide genre, where as I said in an earlier post, I have no objection to the odd hour of what I personally consider to be modern, i.e. 70s danceable soul, but when it comes down to electronic house or funk music I think that is something quite different. To my knowledge I have not heard House or Funk played at any of the across the board nights or modern rooms that I have been in although I may of missed it cos I don't tend to spend more than an hour in there at any one time, but this is only my personal experience.

QoFxx

#

So you've never heard Soul Sam playing Michael Pruitt or Ron Hall?He regularly plays these House tunes at Northern nights/nighters in the Northern room.

Social source share

#

So you've never heard Soul Sam playing Michael Pruitt or Ron Hall?He regularly plays these House tunes at Northern nights/nighters in the Northern room.

Fish has got him a Vandross 12 now smile.gif btw whats wrong with funky stuff Chrissie ?

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

#

This may seem very sad to most, but I have never heard Soul Sam Djing and I probably wouldn't pay that much attention to what he was playing.

Why does everyone seem to want to have open season on peole who prefer 60s soul and keep trying to hammer the point home.....it doesn't do it for me in the same way 60s does, niave, blinkered I may be to some of you but heh its just the way I am

. I can't be as totally blinkered to more modern, soul as some of you think as I class "Footsteps" Womack & Womack one of my my favorite tracks of all time, but still not sure I would want to hear it played out apart from perhaps in a modern room.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

#

Pete

Bobby Pruitt? / Michael Procter? - anyway, two good examples of this genre; both great vocalists.

Brian thumbsup.gif

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

This may seem very sad to most, but I have never heard Soul Sam Djing and I probably wouldn't pay that much attention to what he was playing.

Why does everyone seem to want to have open season on peole who prefer 60s soul. I can't be as totally blinkered to more modern, soul as some of you think as I class "Footsteps" Womack & Womack one of my my favorite tracks of all time, but still not sure I would want to hear it played out apart from perhaps in a modern room.

QoFxx

I would stop digging the hole if I were you, you've proved your credentials for being such a sage on the subject g.gif

Social source share

I would stop digging the hole if I were you, you've proved your credentials for being such a sage on the subject g.gif

I know bugger all about modern soul and even less about house or funk or what is played in modern rooms or at modern nights but to me soul is something that grabs your heart, to some it may be more modern versions to me its 60s. You can't make yourself fall in love with a person its just the same, I can't make myself love house or funk.

And since when did I have to have a vast knowledge of all things soul to be enititled to an opinion on an open forum. I think I am still allowed my opinion even if it is different to yours.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Absoluteley ! But aren't you glad Sam has stopped playing the appalling DJ Genesis :ohmy:

It was OK at the time, quite liked it, but as with many that cause initial dancefloor interest, was unlikely to stand the test of time. Applies to music of all era's 60s,70s,80s,90s,00s.

Brian thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

I know bugger all about modern soul and even less about house or funk or what is played in modern rooms or at modern nights but to me soul is something that grabs your heart, to some it may be more modern versions to me its 60s. You can't make yourself fall in love with a person its just the same, I can't make myself love house or funk.

And since when did I have to have a vast knowledge of all things soul to be enititled to an opinion on an open forum. I think I am still allowed my opinion even if it is different to yours.

QoFxx

Come come chrissie....ur a woman who knows her own mind and to add insult to injury u dont like modern soul!!!!

You've been on this forum long enough to know that means u aint intitled to an opinion!!!!!

Now stop playin around with those silly 45's and get back in the cave!!!!

XXXXXXXX

Social source share

Come come chrissie....ur a woman who knows her own mind and to add insult to injury u dont like modern soul!!!!

You've been on this forum long enough to know that means u aint intitled to an opinion!!!!!

Now stop playin around with those silly 45's and get back in the cave!!!!

XXXXXXXX

OK Helen, :P Better go and do some ironing, cooking or washing up or summat while listening to one of my clash, buzzcocks or pistols albums thumbsup.gif and leave the topic of soul music to the modern soul loving members of the superior sex :ohmy:

Thanks reminding me of my humble status :P

QoFxx

Social source share

OK Helen, :P Better go and do some ironing, cooking or washing up or summat while listening to one of my clash, buzzcocks or pistols albums thumbsup.gif and leave the topic of soul music to the modern soul loving members of the superior sex :ohmy:

Thanks reminding me of my humble status laugh.gif

QoFxx

I must admit I have been a little forward as a girlie by watching three football matches so far this weekend and I am now watching repeats of Top Gear.........is that aloud or is it a blokes only thing :P

Dear me I should of known Chrissie and Helen know each other :D

Hi Si, how is my favorite little disco bunny :D

No I shall remove my tongue firmly from my cheek, OK guys wink.gif

QoFxx

Social source share

[ :P quote name='chrissie' date='Jan 27 08, 05:04 PM' post='682768']

I must admit I have been a little forward as a girlie by watching three football matches so far this weekend and I am now watching repeats of Top Gear.........is that aloud or is it a blokes only thing unsure.gif

Hi Si, how is my favorite little disco bunny biggrin.gif

No I shall remove my tongue firmly from my cheek, OK guys :P

QoFxx

Social source share

[ :D quote name='chrissie' date='Jan 27 08, 05:04 PM' post='682768']

I must admit I have been a little forward as a girlie by watching three football matches so far this weekend and I am now watching repeats of Top Gear.........is that aloud or is it a blokes only thing unsure.gif

Hi Si, how is my favorite little disco bunny :D

No I shall remove my tongue firmly from my cheek, OK guys wink.gif

QoFxx

Watch out for Disco Bear 2008 . :ohmy:

:Pohmy.gif I think you are a bad influence on him and he must be saved before it's too late..................don't worry Bearsy, I'll save you from the clutches of the evil Disco Bunny :P

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

You obviously haven't heard their new project then laugh.gif:D

I still say Michael Proctor is Tom Jones :P

Pete thumbsup.gif

And Duffy is Tammi Terrell :Plaugh.gif !

Brian :ohmy:

Social source share

QoFxx

Noone is suggesting that you should like Modern Soul or that you're not entitled to an opinion.Each to their own and all that.

I just get tired of pointless and inane comments being made whenever certain threads come up.

I don't particularly like R+B,and whilst that's my opinion,I don't feel the need to jump in with both feet with pointless comments, everytime there's an R+B thread.It just makes for boring,drawn out threads.If I see a thread I don't particulalry like.I move on and look for one that does interest me.

Pete

Social source share

Noone is suggesting that you should like Modern Soul or that you're not entitled to an opinion.Each to their own and all that.

I just get tired of pointless and inane comments being made whenever certain threads come up.

I don't particularly like R+B,and whilst that's my opinion,I don't feel the need to jump in with both feet with pointless comments, everytime there's an R+B thread.It just makes for boring,drawn out threads.If I see a thread I don't particulalry like.I move on and look for one that does interest me.

Pete

The thread did interest me as I was intriguid to know what house music had to do with northern/rare soul. And if we all agreed on every thread there would be no discussion just back patting.

QoFxx

Social source share

The thread did interest me as I was intriguid to know what house music had to do with northern/rare soul. And if we all agreed on every thread there would be no discussion just back patting.

QoFxx

Quite alot really

Sung by black soul Artists from Chicago, Detroit, New York, West Coast ect, ect. Many of them struggeling to make it big with limited white lable pressings hoping the big boys will sign them up.

4 beats to the bar

People going out every weekend enjoying and dancing to the music

There will be collectors willing to sell their mothers to get hold of the ellusive soulful house rarity in years to come yes.gif

As with 60's soul you have to dig quite deep for the absolute blinders because there is alot of boom, boom, boom music with house.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert