• Replies 47
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest topcatnumpty1

OH,Yes --great saturday nights there approx1985--90 i believe with Chuddy, Mr.Pedley, coaches from York--Bub d.j ing---it,s now a health centre type place where you can buy tablets now!!!

i,ve got a cassette of Bub live(very) there

Tony C.

My memories a bit hazy on this one, anyone remember this do?
:unsure:

Social source share

OH,Yes --great saturday nights there approx1985--90 i believe with Chuddy, Mr.Pedley, coaches from York--Bub d.j ing---it,s now a health centre type place where you can buy tablets now!!!

i,ve got a cassette of Bub live(very) there

Tony C.

The Tracky club - full / correct name Yorkshire Traction Social Club - on Harborough Hill in Barnsley , after being sold by The YT Company , was turned into a health centre , which is now closed , and is up for sale .....

Helmed by The Two Ronnies of the amphet generation , Bub And Derek Greenhoff , The Tracky club was very creditable venue in its' day ......

Many an excellent Saturday night was spent there by yours truly , both the imbibing of a jotty or three , or DJing ......

Malc Burton

post-5097-1201201955_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Yes malc rung tony colby remember now going with ron pedley, allways a cracking night with that crowd some right laughs, maybe we should buy the place what do you think? :thumbup::lol:

Hi H ......

Following your reply , I had a look on the estate agents' website at the details for the property ......

It does not state an outright purchase price , only one for the leasehold .......

In the description for the property , it was stated as previously being " a working mens' club " ......

As we agree , always a good night at The Tracky , with good music and a good crowd :g:

Pictured below , is another from my portfolio of old venues - The Portcullis in Barnsley .......

When I was taking the picture last year ( the same time as I took the one of The Tracky ) , an old chap walking his dog stopped , and asked me what I was doing ; I explained , to which he replied with this observational gem .......

" It were a shithole then , and it's still a shithole " ........

Priceless ......

Malc Burton

post-5097-1201243037_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Hi H ......

Following your reply , I had a look on the estate agents' website at the details for the property ......

It does not state an outright purchase price , only one for the leasehold .......

In the description for the property , it was stated as previously being " a working mens' club " ......

As we agree , always a good night at The Tracky , with good music and a good crowd :ohmy:

Pictured below , is another from my portfolio of old venues - The Portcullis in Barnsley .......

When I was taking the picture last year ( the same time as I took the one of The Tracky ) , an old chap walking his dog stopped , and asked me what I was doing ; I explained , to which he replied with this observational gem .......

Priceless ......

Malc Burton

Typical barnsly reply, Ron pedly allways told me of a place in barnsley nicknamed the n***** club, i never went but apparently it was so called because the miners used to go in after there shifts, he allways said that was a cracking night, allways tells me a story about this lass in there with skin tight trousers on n she was at the bar, so he said how on earth do you manage to get into those, once again typical barnsly reply, 3 DOUBLE VODKA`S COCK!! :ohmy::lol::lol:

Social source share

Hi H ......

As we agree , always a good night at The Tracky , with good music and a good crowd :ohmy:

Priceless ......

Malc Burton

Port cullis,won the jackpot on there fuit machine in tanner`s and on the same night got done foe underage drinkin` :huh:i remember the original tracky club fight a night jobbie :lol:the Londener was the best venue in Barnsley cool place.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Yeh proper carry on ken, good old yorkshire soul night, where they all gone :ohmy::lol::lol:

That lad who i got caught underage drinkin` with punk called carrots was wearing a leather jacket with "i hate pigs" writen all over it :ohmy: the walk home was shit,court was funny the judge asks me way i was drinking i told him i wasnt"the coppers made us drink our drinks off idiot"it was lemonade sir,so they charged and found me guilty of nickin`a pint pot the value 5p,£5 fine........i`m not bitter.wankers

Social source share

Port cullis,won the jackpot on there fuit machine in tanner`s and on the same night got done foe underage drinkin` :huh:i remember the original tracky club fight a night jobbie :ohmy:the Londener was the best venue in Barnsley cool place.

Another highly creditable Barnserlee venue .......

I have not posted a picture of site of The Londoner , Unless you get your jollies off by looking at pictures of residential homes :ohmy: .......

Demolished due to a fire , caused by an " alleged " wiring fault .......

Wiring fault my derriere .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Another highly creditable Barnserlee venue .......

I have not posted a picture of site of The Londoner , Unless you get your jollies off by looking at pictures of residential homes :ohmy: .......

Demolished due to a fire , caused by an " alleged " wiring fault .......

Wiring fault my derriere .......

Malc Burton

The "redbrook" allways had a buzz,even with all them Mods :ohmy:

Social source share

Be mods.play the odd suspect track even.

Oh : I thought they made you take part in some pervy Barnsley initiation ritual ........

Like having your trousers legs rolled up to the knee , clutching an Albert Hirst link of black pudding , with a ferret gripped tightly onto your left nipple , and shouting " Ronnie Glavin is God " ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I was practically the third resident at the Tracky Club for the last two years or so along with Bub and Derek. I did the first couple of hours or so depending what time I got there, sometimnes it was early due to trains etc :lol:

Usually though was up there Saturday dinner, either to Derek and Sues or more often than not to Snoz and Ali's and it was into Coach and Horses (think thats what it was) where loads met up for afternoon of drink, cards and owt else that went :ohmy:

First DJ'ed there '88 I think.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Oh : I thought they made you take part in some pervy Barnsley initiation ritual ........

Like having your trousers legs rolled up to the knee , clutching an Albert Hirst link of black pudding , with a ferret gripped tightly onto your left nipple , and shouting " Ronnie Glavin is God " ......

Malc Burton

:lol::lol:biggrin.gif:lol::yes::D

CHRIS :ohmy:4l417og.gif

Social source share

Guest CliftonHall1

The Mightly Bub....

post-225-1201360692_thumb.jpg

Just seeing the photo of Mr Bubble reminded me of a freezing trip home after a fabulous alldayer at the Winter Gardens Cleggy back in about 1977. At the end of the night after Bubs customary "human pyramid" he press ganged me into a lift back home. "Cars full Cock" i said cant get no more in tis only a Datsun 120Y, my dads pa pap, and my adopted Wigan chariot. Well we managed 4 in the back and Bubs in the front passenger seat and yours driving albeit Bub seemed to be enveloping my seat as well. Regretably the cars weight distribution was now compromised and which inclined the car tarmac wise at a severe suspension challenging pitch. We managed to travel as far as the Chip shop on the front and Bubs insisted on SOME SNAP so in we all went. BUB, Double fish and chips in his coat pocket and same again rapidly despatched together with a FULL jar of Pickled Onions later we were on our way again.

What a side splitting journey back to South Yorks you have never known.

Always remember him at the Londoner and for playing "Shoes".

Social source share

Just seeing the photo of Mr Bubble reminded me of a freezing trip home after a fabulous alldayer at the Winter Gardens Cleggy back in about 1977. At the end of the night after Bubs customary "human pyramid" he press ganged me into a lift back home. "Cars full Cock" i said cant get no more in tis only a Datsun 120Y, my dads pa pap, and my adopted Wigan chariot. Well we managed 4 in the back and Bubs in the front passenger seat and yours driving albeit Bub seemed to be enveloping my seat as well. Regretably the cars weight distribution was now compromised and which inclined the car tarmac wise at a severe suspension challenging pitch. We managed to travel as far as the Chip shop on the front and Bubs insisted on SOME SNAP so in we all went. BUB, Double fish and chips in his coat pocket and same again rapidly despatched together with a FULL jar of Pickled Onions later we were on our way again.

Great guy alan, me n ronnie pedley walking home through york about 3am car coming towards us lights flashing horn going, it was the barnsly lads off there heads looking for ronnies house in a nicked car :D:huh::huh:

Social source share

I will echo your statements 100 % Alan , for when it came to cadging lifts in cars , Bub had no equal ......

During the evening of one Sunday all - dayer at Cleethorpes , Bub's original lift told him they had to go early , and could not take him back ......

" No worries cock " replied the man , " Burton will take us home " .......

Despite my protestations to him that I had a car full , came the reply " it'll be alright , they can squeeze up in the back " and then came the killer punch - " anyway , tha's a mate , and tha won't leave me , would tha ? " .........

How could I resist after that ......

Following rearragement of the seating plan , and sorting out the boot to accomadate Bub's holdall and records , we eventually set off at gone midnight . Everything was going fine on the journey back , until we reached Brigg , and were pulled over by the police .......

They were carrying out checks on cars in the area , as there had been a burglary at a big house earlier in the evening , and were checking all cars .......

They asked us where we had come from , what we had been doing , where we were going , and what we had in the boot . We gave the requisite answers , and upon telling them that the boot contained boxes of records and holdalls , I was asked to open the boot to confirm what I had told them ........

I opened the boot , and even opened one of the boxes to show what was in there ; but then came the voice of Bub from the front passenger seat , cutting through the early morning air .......

" I would have him take them all out , cock , tha does not know what he might have got stashed in there " .......

They did , and an hour later , we were waved on our way .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

First time I've ever seen a pic of Bub. I'd heard about him through my old man.

He's told me about him many a time, as they all used to travel over from the Trackie over to Cleethorpes.

My dad was doing the markets then, and had a Dark green Ford D series curtain sider.

He said many a time he'd have about 50 in the back of the wagon for the drive over and park up near the club. He said that during the course of the evening the rear suspension was given a regular work-out :huh:

Anyone ever travel over in it?

He also told me that Bub used to go straight to the club and get his wages for the night upfront, then go buy a couple of bottles of Tequila and sup them before he went on.

He didn't have a towel to wipe his vinyl, so just used to rub it in circles on his T-Shirt.

My dad also told me about the regular 'quizzes' during the night that involved having a whip round and men from Wakefield walking naked around the room for their 'prize' :huh:

Legendary, and I never met the guy!

Social source share

Guest lagerlout

He's told me about him many a time, as they all used to travel over from the Trackie over to Cleethorpes.

My dad was doing the markets then, and had a Dark green Ford D series curtain sider.

He said many a time he'd have about 50 in the back of the wagon for the drive over and park up near the club. He said that during the course of the evening the rear suspension was given a regular work-out :huh:

He also told me that Bub used to go straight to the club and get his wages for the night upfront, then go buy a couple of bottles of Tequila and sup them before he went on.

He didn't have a towel to wipe his vinyl, so just used to rub it in circles on his T-Shirt.

My dad also told me about the regular 'quizzes' during the night that involved having a whip round and men from Wakefield walking naked around the room for their 'prize' :huh:

All the above is very true, cos i as a very young lad have been in said ford green wagon.

Bub would always travel " int front " and drink all the way to cleggy.

in the back was like been in a bouncy castle but without the inflatable bit,

you had to hang on to sacks of spuds,carrots,there was all kinds of wonderful

veg in there....happy days.

Social source share

All the above is very true, cos i as a very young lad have been in said ford green wagon.

Bub would always travel " int front " and drink all the way to cleggy.

in the back was like been in a bouncy castle but without the inflatable bit,

you had to hang on to sacks of spuds,carrots,there was all kinds of wonderful

veg in there....happy days.

Heh heh, wondered how long it would be before you spotted this :huh:

I'm sure there's plenty more wonderful tales hidden away in the lagerlout locker :huh:

Social source share

Bub always used this method to " clean " the record he was about to play , whatever the value was of it .......

Watching him do this often brought the strongest of men near to shedding tears .......

To say that David liked a drink , was an understatement : I once attempted to go head to head with him , and sorrowfully lost on all counts ......

A truly memorable character , and as you state , legendary ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Bub always used this method to " clean " the record he was about to play , whatever the value was of it .......

Watching him do this often brought the strongest of men near to shedding tears .......

To say that David liked a drink , was an understatement : I once attempted to go head to head with him , and sorrowfully lost on all counts ......

A truly memorable character , and as you state , legendary ........

Malc Burton

How he cleaned his records is a bad habit I picked uip from him :lol::)

Here's a couple of flyers i've dug out....

post-225-1201621231_thumb.jpgpost-225-1201621276_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest lagerlout

Heh heh, wondered how long it would be before you spotted this :)

I'm sure there's plenty more wonderful tales hidden away in the lagerlout locker :lol:

there,s loads matey...the magic mushrooms,its my fire,sheep napping,

is that your car,gold cross lager,the rhino,where you from,hospital drink,

loads of excellent times with your old man..

Social source share

How he cleaned his records is a bad habit I picked uip from him :lol::)

Here's a couple of flyers i've dug out....

post-225-1201621231_thumb.jpgpost-225-1201621276_thumb.jpg

The white flyer to the top of the posting , is one of the efforts of yours truly .......

Done in the days before computers aided my design efforts - it was done by letraset - I can remember it kept being delayed , as Bub kept informing me of changes to the DJ rota ......

20 years ago this coming December : how time flies .......

It is interesting to see the name of Rob Wigley among the line up : and with it being 20 years ago , Rob must have been only 8 when he appeared :lol: ..........

One name that brings in to mind " where are they now ? " is Ritchie Broughton : I have not heard of him since the old king died - does anyone know of his whereabouts ? .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

20 years ago this coming December : how time flies .......

It is interesting to see the name of Rob Wigley among the line up : and with it being 20 years ago , Rob must have been only 8 when he appeared :lol: ..........

One name that brings in to mind " where are they now ? " is Ritchie Broughton : I have not heard of him since the old king died - does anyone know of his whereabouts ? .......

Malc Burton

yeah 20 years ago....bloodyy hell, never realised till you mentioned :D

If Rob was 8 I must have been 3 :D

Not seen or heard of Ritchie for years.

Social source share

yeah 20 years ago....bloodyy hell, never realised till you mentioned :D

If Rob was 8 I must have been 3 :D

Not seen or heard of Ritchie for years.

Rob e- mailed me about Richie ......

He works for the NHS Direct Line operation , and sold his entire collection , which as we know was a sizable one , about 6 years ago ......

Rob stated that he wanted nine records from Ritchie's collection at the time of selling , which were valued - and this was before John M's price guides - at around £ 16,000 : Given today's increase in prices , he reckons that the same nine would now set him back

£ 40, 0000 ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

great days indeed ! Bub, what a great dj, "no requests cos i know what ya f***** want" was one of his opening lines..and he did too ! and if he played something that did not go down too well i saw him more than once take it off half way through ...cursing and throw it away over his shoulder :thumbsup:

tracky club.....fab little place, what memories..

and what about the "windmill" at rotherham.... great soul sessions there too !

casper

Social source share

Rob e- mailed me about Richie ......

He works for the NHS Direct Line operation , and sold his entire collection , which as we know was a sizable one , about 6 years ago ......

Rob stated that he wanted nine records from Ritchie's collection at the time of selling , which were valued - and this was before John M's price guides - at around £ 16,000 : Given today's increase in prices , he reckons that the same nine would now set him back

£ 40, 0000 ......

Malc Burton

always wanted Rich's old motor, Opel GT summat or other with TMG no. plate, think it was Stevie Wonder record, TMG440???? Rich had US labels only, apart from one UK i gave him at Trotters, Barbara Lewis' -Pushing A Good Thing... Can still see his face when he came over to Red Lion at Mansfield to see " Brian the Singing Miner", priceless.

nearly brawling at Tracky one Boxing Day, someone accused me of drinking his Guinness, he was only one there that drank the stuff!!! twat. his pint was on next table.

used to travel up with Tats and Rob, Chalky, Bully and rest of crew, them were t'days ;-)

Was on holiday in Tunisia few years back and met lass in Irish bar that used to go to Tracky with her sister, can't remember her name at moment, left her couple of dvds with Northern on, had it on all time in bar after that.

steve

Social source share

Guest Jonah 1959

My memories a bit hazy on this one, anyone remember this do? :lol:

What a venue the tracky club was good memories,me, Rachel, Little Tommy,Kathy Kirby(Bradford) all going in his then Ford Escort smoking like hell from the exhaust.

Jonah :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert