Help Needed To Identify A Mis-labelled Disc

Hi, I only joined this site today and I'm not a Northern Soul expert, although I love most types of old soul music and have quite a lot on 45 or LP. Until I discovered this site I was going to put this disc on ebay at a very high price, niot to sell it, but to see if i could get someone to identify it. Here is the problem as I tped it out for ebay. Please bear with me as it is quite long...can anybody help please? :-

I'll do my best to describe it and if anyone can tell me what it is I'd be very grateful. If necessary I could play it down the telephone at a mutually convenient time.

THE DISC IS LABELLED UP AS A D.J. NOT FOR SALE COPY OF PHI-DAN 5000 -FLORENCE DEVORE PERFORMING KISS ME NOW & WE'RE NOT OLD ENOUGH ON PHIL SPECTOR'S SHORT-LIVED PHI-DAN LABEL

But, when I play it the woman doesn't sound like Florence Devore and neither of the songs is Kiss Me Now. I'm not a Northern Soul expert and I've been unable to figure out what this actually is.

I thought that the answer should be obvious if I tracked down a Spector/Phi-Dan discography as the label should be reasonably contemporaneous with the disc. I came up with the results for this period (below) but it doesn't seem likely to be any of these.

I can't find any information online about the gap in the Phi-Dan numbering which jumps from 5001 to 5005. So I'm wondering if I have 5002, 3, or 4 and if any of these were actually issued. Or....do I have a single from a non-Spector label that was pressed at the same plant?

There are "handwritten" matrix numbers on each side MC 005 and MC 006

The "Kiss Me Now" side is an uptempo number which starts with a Motownish intro and then male backing singers singing "baby baby oh how I love you but you treated me so untrue" (I think), then the female kicks in with "Where were you when I needed someone"...there are famale backing singers too that kick in separately to the males.. 1965

Philles

Ronettes

Born to Be Together (Spector-Mann-Weil)

Blues for Baby (Phil Spector)

Philles

Righteous Brothers

Just Once in My Life (Spector-Goffin-King)

The Blues (Medley)

Philles

Ronettes

Is This what I Get for Loving You? (Spector-Goffin-King)

Oh I Love You (Phil Spector)

Philles

Righteous Brothers

Hung on You (Spector-Goffin-King)

Unchained Melody (Zaret-North)

Philles

Righteous Brothers

Ebb Tide (Sigman-Maxwell)

For Sentimental Reasons (Watson-Best)

Phi-Dan

Florence DeVore

Kiss Me Now (Sacon-Hall)

We're Not Old Enough (Pinter-Susser-Cooper)

(Producer: Cooper-Susser-Silberstein)

Phi-Dan

Betty Willis

Act Naturally (Morrison-Russell)

Soul (Higgins)

(Producer: Leon Russell)

Phi-Dan

Bonnie &

the Treasures

Home of the Brave (Poncia-Andreoli)

Our Song (Riopell)

(Producer: Jerry Riopell)

Phi-Dan

Al de Lory

Yesterday (Lennon-McCartney)

Traffic Jam (A. de Lory)

(Producer: Atlas Artists Productions)

Phi-Dan

George McCannon III

You Can't Grow Peaches on a Cherry Tree (Levitt-Monte)

Seven Million People (Miller-Greenfield)

(Producer: No credit)

Phi-Dan

Lovelites

(When) I Get Scared (Poncia-Andreoli-Pomuz)

Malady (Gelfand)

(Producer: Anders-Poncia)

Phi-Dan

Ikettes

Whatcha Gonna Do (Turner)

Down Down (Turner)

(Producer: Ike Turner)

Phi-Dan

Sugar Plums

Lovers Wonderland (Garfield-Botkin-Cole)

(A side producer: Botkin-Garfied)

Sugar Plum Blues (Same track as B side of Philles 119X)

Philles

Ike and Tina Turner

River Deep-Mountain High (Spector-Greenwich Barry)

I'll Keep You Happy (Phil Spector)

Philles

Righteous Brothers

White Cliffs of Dover (Black-Miller)

She's Mine, All Mine (Hatfield)

(B side producer: Medley)

Philles

Ronettes

I Can Hear Music (Spector-Greenwich-Barry)

(A side producer: Jeff Barry)

When l Saw You (Phil Spector)

Philles

(Unreleased in U. S. )

Ike and Tina Turner

A Man Is a Man Is a Man (Antell)

Two to Tango (Peretti-Creatore)

(Producer: Bob Crewe)

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

There are "handwritten" matrix numbers on each side MC 005 and MC 006

The "Kiss Me Now" side is an uptempo number which starts with a Motownish intro and then male backing singers singing "baby baby oh how I love you but you treated me so untrue" (I think), then the female kicks in with "Where were you when I needed someone"...there are famale backing singers too that kick in separately to the males.. 1965

David the song you describe sounds like Thelma Lindsay - Why werent you there (where were you) / Prepared to love you

Issued on Magic City MC005

Hope that clears the identity bit, as for the mis - labeling......... who knows

Best

M. :lol:

Edited by MarkWhiteley
Social source share

Thanks for all the info, I am very impressed. I'm coming down on the side of a bootleg copy that mistakenly plays Thelma Lindsey.

To answer the main queries,I have just listened to the B side and the main chorus seems to be " do not prepare to love me......please don't stay".

The labels are a pale blue..or almost blue/green in the artificial light I have on now.

I'll see if I can upload a photo...(first time today!).

I guess the next thing to do is decide whether to keep it or to record a copy for myself and list it on ebay..in which case I shall have to make sure that I describe it correctly so as not to mislead anyone.

post-10533-1201132268_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Thanks Sean, I've listened to Florence on a website and I agree. Thelma is or was a great vocalist, I think, and both sides of the disc are great tracks.

If what I have is a bootleg is it still a collectable item? Stockmarket falls, my advancing age, and the likelihood of Government cut-backs on spending on the elderly biggrin.gif - plus the desire to move to a smaller, newer, house one day are prompting me to reduce my somewhat large collection of all types of vinyl...

Social source share

Thanks Sean, I've listened to Florence on a website and I agree. Thelma is or was a great vocalist, I think, and both sides of the disc are great tracks.

If what I have is a bootleg is it still a collectable item? Stockmarket falls, my advancing age, and the likelihood of Government cut-backs on spending on the elderly biggrin.gif - plus the desire to move to a smaller, newer, house one day are prompting me to reduce my somewhat large collection of all types of vinyl...

I'm afraid that one isn't going to help you move house - it's worth no more than 10 quid

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert