The Miracles

• Replies 13
  • Views 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Fantastic tune, one of my personal fave Motown (or Tamla in this case) tunes ever. If you like this try the flipside to the Magnificent 7 on Dial for a change wink.gif

a ton of groups did this, this is one of the closest things to a sweet soul 'standard' there is. the five stairsteps did a great version. there is also a version by lawrence and the arabians where lawrence is actually crying at the end of the song.

Social source share

Superb Malc,

One of my absolute favourites!

True story this...

About 30 years ago I was desperate for a copy on UK Tamla Motown (TMG 503) and had spied a minter, up for bids, at an Auction at the Piccadily Hotel in Manchester.

I was sure I'd be the only serious bidder in the place for this particular 45, but when the lot came up, soon found I had a very serious rival.

The bidding started at less than a fiver... but me and the other guy, across the room, soon drove the price up to over 20 quid... in 50p increments!

In the end, when it became clear that it was out of my reach I finally conceded and threw the Towel in.

It made about 22 pounds (From memory) a lot of money back then for something worth less than half that at the time.

After the Auction, I sought out the rival, succesful, Bidder.

"TMG 503 then... well done" I said to him and held out my hand to congratulate him on his win.

He stared back with a blank expression "Huh... what's that?"

"The Miracles 45... you must ba a British Motown collector... that's a pretty hard number..."

No he says......... "I'm an 'Ooh Baby Baby' collector" "I've got over 40 different versions.... (............and here's the punchline)...

... but until today I never knew the Miracles had done it!" :g: "and I Always wonderd who the William Robinson who wrote it was!"

You coulda knocked me down with a durex!

ph34r.gif

Social source share

Superb Malc,

One of my absolute favourites!

True story this...

About 30 years ago I was desperate for a copy on UK Tamla Motown (TMG 503) and had spied a minter, up for bids, at an Auction at the Piccadily Hotel in Manchester.

I was sure I'd be the only serious bidder in the place for this particular 45, but when the lot came up, soon found I had a very serious rival.

The bidding started at less than a fiver... but me and the other guy, across the room, soon drove the price up to over 20 quid... in 50p increments!

In the end, when it became clear that it was out of my reach I finally conceded and threw the Towel in.

It made about 22 pounds (From memory) a lot of money back then for something worth less than half that at the time.

After the Auction, I sought out the rival, succesful, Bidder.

"TMG 503 then... well done" I said to him and held out my hand to congratulate him on his win.

He stared back with a blank expression "Huh... what's that?"

"The Miracles 45... you must ba a British Motown collector... that's a pretty hard number..."

No he says......... "I'm an 'Ooh Baby Baby' collector" "I've got over 40 different versions.... (............and here's the punchline)...

... but until today I never knew the Miracles had done it!" :g: "and I Always wonderd who the William Robinson who wrote it was!"

You coulda knocked me down with a durex!

ph34r.gif

Great story Sean ......

" OBB " is one of my all time favourite records , Ironic - puts the the tin hat on - I am sorry to say , as I am not a lover of the work of SR .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

:ohmy: Shocked

:unsure: Bemused

:lol: You're missing out mate

:lol: You're kidding... right?

:huh: Aren't you?

My apologies for spooking you , Sean ........

What the reply should have read , is that I like some of SR's output , but overall , I have never been really " taken " to what he has done , despite wanting to .......

I will go and stand in the naughty boy's corner .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

My apologies for spooking you , Sean ........

What the reply should have read , is that I like some of SR's output , but overall , I have never been really " taken " to what he has done , despite wanting to .......

I will go and stand in the naughty boy's corner .........

Malc Burton

Well Mr B, I don't blame you at all. :unsure:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert