Dancers On You Tube

Soulsmith

Dancers on You Tube

Often have a look on there, for anything half decent. Mostly end up viewing rubbish.

Mate at work recommended this one to me this morning.

Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE2orthS3TQ

Video by Duffy called Mercy

Dancing pretty good - shame they slowed it down! Not sure why they set dancers feet on fire though!!

Anyone know who the dancers were?

Anyone recommend similar dance wise on You Tube?

Thanks

Col.

Social source share

• Replies 71
  • Views 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Yeah right, my shoes often burst into flames when I'm on top form too :D

Seriously though - wasn't there a thread on here a few weeks back where they were looking to audition Northern Soul dancers for a new promotional music video?

I'm pretty sure there was mention about the fire thing, so guess this must be it.

That said, I reckon someone on here must know who the dancers are.

-Kev

Social source share

Dancers on You Tube

Often have a look on there, for anything half decent. Mostly end up viewing rubbish.

Dancing pretty good - shame they slowed it down! Not sure why they set dancers feet on fire though!!

Thanks

Col.

One of them is Liam who is on SS

Social source share

looks more like a video promoting kung fu imo, no emphasis on dance steps just acrobats

a few spins even a guy spinning on his hands!! never seen that one out!

utter garbage

:lol: Nah, you're being unduly harsh.

I'm the first to criticise acrobatics over dancing, but there's obviously plenty of footwork going on here. And in time to the music. Good dancers I reckon :lol: .

Now, if you want to talk about the editing of the clip, which has undoubtedly concentrated on the acrobatic element within the dance, that's another matter. :rolleyes:

-Kev.

Social source share

looks more like a video promoting kung fu imo, no emphasis on dance steps just acrobats

utter garbage

Same old stuff,no dancing ..just accrobatics.......tripe

Bazza

Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

utter garbage

Can't agree I'm afraid.

I think "floor work" is fine as long as the person uses with the music rather than thowing themselves around without any regard to the beat, "breaks"or drum rolls.

What ever you think about the song I think it promotes a side of our scene that seems to be over looked lately with all the bitching and back stabbing. This is a dance scene. There is nothing better than seeing someone giving it their all to the music.

Don't people want to try new moves anymore? Don't you watch other dancers, see a move and think I'll give that a go or better still put my own twist on it.

Are some people just content to stand on the edge of the dancefloor, write their name in talc, do the standard "cross over side to side step" and take the piss if someone tries something a bit different?

Don't you want to feel the build up in a song, knowing there's a big break coming up that you can let go to with a big spin, back drop, kick or what ever feels right at the time. Or will you choose to go and get another pint and talk about how the Soul scene is going down the pan.

Is this why floors empty when something a bit different from the top 100 is played.

Is it because people are:

A. Scared to dance to stuff they don't know?

B. They just don't know how to ?

C. Just too bitter and old?

I can see Liam, keb and Trickster in that video. All dance with passion and a joy to watch.

Doc

Edited by Dr Pickles
Social source share

:lol: Oh well. I can't dance and I ain't no acrobat. What do I know?

-Kev

===================

I actually agree with you the dancing is pretty good. I did recognise Liam who is an exceptional dancer. The only criticism I would have had is that the dancing didn't match the music, as in, shuffling and acrobatics? Whilst I like the track, I think it's too slow for those particular elements, but well worth seeing. Cheers Col :rolleyes:

Social source share

Can't agree I'm afraid.

I think "floor work" is fine as long as the person uses with the music rather than thowing themselves around without any regard to the beat, "breaks"or drum rolls.

What ever you think about the song I think it promotes a side of our scene that seems to be over looked lately with all the bitching and back stabbing. This is a dance scene. There is nothing better than seeing someone giving it their all to the music.

Don't people want to try new moves anymore? Don't you watch other dancers, see a move and think I'll give that a go or better still put my own twist on it.

Are some people just content to stand on the edge of the dancefloor, write their name in talc, do the standard "cross over side to side step" and take this piss if someone tries something a bit different?

Don't you want to feel the build up in a song, knowing there's a big break coming up that you can let go to with a big spin, back drop, kick or what ever feels right at the time. Or will you choose to go and get another pint and talk about how the Soul scene is going down the pan.

Is this why floors empty when something a bit different from the top 100 is played. Is it because people are scared to dance to stuff they don't know, they just don't know how to or are just too bitter and old?

I can see Liam, keb and Trickster in that video. All dance with passion and a joy to watch.

Doc

Quality post there Doc.

Social source share

Can't agree I'm afraid.

Are some people just content to stand on the edge of the dancefloor, write their name in talc, do the standard "cross over side to side step" and take the piss if someone tries something a bit different?

Is this why floors empty when something a bit different from the top 100 is played.

Doc

==============

Some good points Chris, particlularly a,b, and c. Think that might bring out the 'it's naff' crew, and the 'we're already viewed as circus' team. Personally still like to see it when it's done well and in time with the music. For me the most pertinant point, it's a dance scene :rolleyes:

Also think I saw Keb and Trickster (had to watch it twice) and possibly Oscar 100 club stalwart?

Winnie :-)

Social source share

Can't agree I'm afraid.

Doc

chris a passionate post indeed, obvoiusly your veiws on the soul scene are changing

aswell as your wants lists :rolleyes:

regards

russ

Social source share

Quality post there Doc.

:rolleyes: And just what I might have posted if I could type a whole lot quicker!

Had another look on my little laptop screen and reckon he's right about Keb and Trickster.Don't know Liam though.

-Kev. (Old but not bitter)

Edited by KevinKent
Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

chris a passionate post indeed, obvoiusly your veiws on the soul scene are changing

aswell as your wants lists :rolleyes:

regards

russ

Russ

I know I don't need to point out that post wasn't directed at you.

Yes, the more I get out there and find new stuff the more my taste and wants change.

Still like my trousers for cutting a rug in. :lol:

Winnie

You've been missed out on the floor.

Social source share

Aye twas me, great day out for myself Paul jrn Walker, Jon Clarke (who i class as one of the finest dancers in the country bar none) Keb, Trickster...had to try and teach the other 'Professional dancers' the day before in the studio how to dance to northern which was hard feckin work..these geezers could run and walls the works but ask them to step side to side on the beats and they looked like Pinnochio's and thats given the wooden brother a rough deal..but they were all well enthusiastic about the music and the dancing and well up for it... had to dance for about 16 hours constant on set on the day of filming so the tiger balm was being applied by the bucket load..at one stage one of the crew mentioned gettin the gear to which a few of us were like "yes thank f*** my legs are killing me"...the crew members had a laugh cause they were obviously not talking about that GEAR :rolleyes: ...anyhoo as the day went on Duffy who was a lovely girl came over chattin away n was rather charming young lady... another funny moment was the warm up session at the start of the day all the proffessionals started stretching etc. the soul boys headed outside for some coffee n fags :lol: outragous...it was a great day with many laughs and a few scoops in the sky rocket for our troubles....

L

Edited by toodarnsoulful
Social source share

Dancers on You Tube

Thanks

Col.

Pans people,rubbish......my opinion

Social source share

Aye twas me, great day out for myself Paul jrn Walker, Jon Clarke (who i class as one of the finest dancers in the country bar none) Keb, Trickster...had to try and teach the other 'Professional dancers' the day before in the studio how to dance to northern which was hard feckin work..these geezers could run and walls the works but ask them to step side to side on the beats and they looked like Pinnochio's and thats given the wooden brother a rough deal..but they were all well enthusiastic about the music and the dancing and well up for it... had to dance for about 16 hours constant on set on the day of filming so the tiger balm was being applied by the bucket load..at one stage one of the crew mentioned gettin the gear to which a few of us were like "yes thank f*** my legs are killing me"...the crew members had a laugh cause they were obviously not talking about that GEAR :lol: ...anyhoo as the day went on Duffy who was a lovely girl came over chattin away n was rather charming young lady... another funny moment was the warm up session at the start of the day all the proffessionals started stretching etc. the soul boys headed outside for some coffee n fags :lol: outragous...it was a great day with many laughs and a few scoops in the sky rocket for our troubles...

L

Nice one Liam. :lol:

Is that a promotional shot of Duffy on your avatar?

It's out on vinyl then! I wouldn't mind a "Test Pressing" myself :rolleyes:

-Kev

Social source share

Aye twas me, great day out for myself Paul jrn Walker, Jon Clarke (who i class as one of the finest dancers in the country bar none) Keb, Trickster...had to try and teach the other 'Professional dancers' the day before in the studio how to dance to northern which was hard feckin work..these geezers could run and walls the works but ask them to step side to side on the beats and they looked like Pinnochio's and thats given the wooden brother a rough deal..but they were all well enthusiastic about the music and the dancing and well up for it... had to dance for about 16 hours constant on set on the day of filming so the tiger balm was being applied by the bucket load..at one stage one of the crew mentioned gettin the gear to which a few of us were like "yes thank f*** my legs are killing me"...the crew members had a laugh cause they were obviously not talking about that GEAR :lol: ...anyhoo as the day went on Duffy who was a lovely girl came over chattin away n was rather charming young lady... another funny moment was the warm up session at the start of the day all the proffessionals started stretching etc. the soul boys headed outside for some coffee n fags :lol: outragous...it was a great day with many laughs and a few scoops in the sky rocket for our troubles....

L

Good for you Liam...liked the record...loved the video.. :rolleyes: ...Delxx

Social source share

===================

I actually agree with you the dancing is pretty good. I did recognise Liam who is an exceptional dancer. The only criticism I would have had is that the dancing didn't match the music, as in, shuffling and acrobatics? Whilst I like the track, I think it's too slow for those particular elements, but well worth seeing. Cheers Col :rolleyes:

Notice Winnie there wasn't a shirt change in sight, not even one!!!! That would have ruled you and me out mate for a start. FWIW I thought it was good and love Duffy's voice. Pickles spot on as usual

Social source share

Can't agree I'm afraid.

Doc

Excuse me,how can someone dance passionatly to a pile of twaddle..... :rolleyes:

Social source share

Duffy is from Nefyn in North Wales and the video is great, dancing like this was routine in the early to mid 70's when we were all young and nible.

Yawn!!,still can dance.........just not young and nible whatever that means

Social source share

Aye twas me, great day out for myself Paul jrn Walker, Jon Clarke (who i class as one of the finest dancers in the country bar none) Keb, Trickster...had to try and teach the other 'Professional dancers' the day before in the studio how to dance to northern which was hard feckin work..these geezers could run and walls the works but ask them to step side to side on the beats and they looked like Pinnochio's and thats given the wooden brother a rough deal..but they were all well enthusiastic about the music and the dancing and well up for it... had to dance for about 16 hours constant on set on the day of filming so the tiger balm was being applied by the bucket load..at one stage one of the crew mentioned gettin the gear to which a few of us were like "yes thank f*** my legs are killing me"...the crew members had a laugh cause they were obviously not talking about that GEAR :lol: ...anyhoo as the day went on Duffy who was a lovely girl came over chattin away n was rather charming young lady... another funny moment was the warm up session at the start of the day all the proffessionals started stretching etc. the soul boys headed outside for some coffee n fags :P outragous...it was a great day with many laughs and a few scoops in the sky rocket for our troubles....

L

Well, the first time I ever went to the 100 club I saw Trickster doing leg stretches on the stage and I though what the f*ck as I've never seen any soulies doing it before or since! Mind you when I saw him dancin, I could understand why he needed to. Would be quite easy to tear a muscle I would imagine.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I enjoyed the vid. Great dancing but it's obvious that for the sake of effect that the acrobatics are going to highlighted, that's just the attention grabbing way the media is. That's not to say that those in the video can't "dance" because they patently can! :rolleyes:

Edited by Maark
Social source share

Quality post there Doc.

I agree with Doc

I still look at other peoples dance moves

Im still learning and I sometimes get thanked for being first on the floor when the room is "cold" wether they like my dancing or not

I can do the odd floor piece but after seeing a youtube vid recently I thought I dont want to look like that ( being female) but there are still some brilliant dancers shufflers stompers out there

So just keep on keepin on guys you're doing a great job

Mand :rolleyes:

Social source share

OOOOOOO Ken that was a bit harsh give it a little time Im sure it 'll grow on you.....like roses! :lol:

Mand

Well its just play actin`,and not very good at that............roses :rolleyes:

Social source share

Duffy is from Nefyn in North Wales and the video is great, dancing like this was routine in the early to mid 70's when we were all young and nible.

I love her stuff! I saw a repeat of this year's Jools Holland Hootenanny showand thought her and Eddie Flloyd were both brilliant.....

Yea,that vid may be a bit "showy" but you cant deny that the guys can dance surely?! (esp Liam i.m.h.o, but then am biased cuz I know him!)

Speaking of guys who can dance....check this (slightly older one) but still a total dude, out (apparently he went to Wigan from 73 onwards,and now does a regular "spot" behind the bar in Mansfield at the Robin Hood in Edenstowe....You go guy! (If link doesn;t work, find it under SOUL BARMAN by the way!)

Gail x

Social source share

Well, the first time I ever went to the 100 club I saw Trickster doing leg stretches on the stage and I though what the f*ck as I've never seen any soulies doing it before or since! Mind you when I saw him dancin, I could understand why he needed to. Would be quite easy to tear a muscle I would imagine.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I enjoyed the vid. Great dancing but it's obvious that for the sake of effect that the acrobatics are going to highlighted, that's just the attention grabbing way the media is. That's not to say that those in the video can't "dance" because they patently can! :rolleyes:

talking cobblers again mark lol, but do agree regards the attention bitty.
Social source share

I think that the video is great Paul, Liam and John look top in it.... It's good that they actually picked people from off the scene and used them the most rather then the professional dancers who just try to imitate.....good on ya boys

By all accounts it sounds like a good day out, bit of dosh as well!!! Good work if you get it, definately not one to be sniffed at.

Social source share

Can't agree I'm afraid.

Doc

Not sure you should be posting stuff like that on here!......... it makes FAR TO MUCH sense!... :thumbup:

Social source share

I dont know the peeps Dancing in this vid, heard of em of course ,why is it they only ever show them doing backdrops and flipflops :thumbup: in N/S Clips,never see any dancing, I do like to see a dancer putting all he's got into his dancing....backdrops...not interested

Bazza

Social source share

I dont know the peeps Dancing in this vid, heard of em of course ,why is it they only ever show them doing backdrops and flipflops :thumbup: in N/S Clips,never see any dancing, I do like to see a dancer putting all he's got into his dancing....backdrops...not interested

Bazza

Agree with ya they don,t interest me neither :thumbup:

JB xx

Social source share

I'm afraid I'm going to have to throw my hand in with the 'loada bollox 'brigade on this one. There was a time ( as Gene Chandler said) when Northern dancing was good. That time seems to have gone if folk reckon that dancing on the Duffy video was good.The dancing on this video was mediocre at best. Anyone who says it showed passion must have never known what the plot was. Standards of kids dancing have risen tremendously in recent years. (Compare ' So you think you can dance with the crappy TV disco dancing competitionsof the 70s and 80s). I reckon if you took this to a school in many countries and asked the kids if this was good dancing ,they'd laugh their bollocks off.

Social source share

I'm afraid I'm going to have to throw my hand in with the 'loada bollox 'brigade on this one. There was a time ( as Gene Chandler said) when Northern dancing was good. That time seems to have gone if folk reckon that dancing on the Duffy video was good.The dancing on this video was mediocre at best. Anyone who says it showed passion must have never known what the plot was. Standards of kids dancing have risen tremendously in recent years. (Compare ' So you think you can dance with the crappy TV disco dancing competitionsof the 70s and 80s). I reckon if you took this to a school in many countries and asked the kids if this was good dancing ,they'd laugh their bollocks off.

Well, Liam and Kev are from other countries...... :thumbup:

I think you are being well harsh. It's like saying no-one should support a Division 2 football team cos they play much better football in other countries. Surely , at the end of the day, as Doc says, it's how you feel inside yourself when you are dancing that counts? And different people have different ways of expressing themselves. The acrobatics were born out of youthful bursts of energy triggered by the music which needs an outlet. Again as Doc says, stepping from side to side sometimes isn't enough sometimes . For what it's worth, I don't/can't do acrobatics, I wish I could ( just to have it in the armoury, so to speak) and I know damn well if I'd have got into soul 30 years ago, I would have been doing it.

Edited by Maark
Social source share

I think that the video is great Paul, Liam and John look top in it.... It's good that they actually picked people from off the scene and used them the most rather then the professional dancers who just try to imitate.....good on ya boys

By all accounts it sounds like a good day out, bit of dosh as well!!! Good work if you get it, definately not one to be sniffed at.

Cheers Vic, as you say it is good to pick people off the scene..you never know we get younger people into it, which I think is a good thing....anyhow I enjoyed myself

Social source share

Guest Neil Taylor

Can't agree I'm afraid.

Doc

WELL SAID MATE :thumbup:

NEIL......

Social source share

Some people on this site aren't right in their head. The vidoe is top. The dancing looks really good and the spins and backdrops are what they wanted because ordinary people would find it rather good to watch.

How anyone can call it rubbish is beyond belief.

Maybe they should have got some fat bold guy in spencers, filled him full of whizz then let him go dancing for 16 hrs. That would have looked much better than getting some young, cool geunine soulies who were representing the soul scene. Don't be proud of them eh! Just sit at your computer and slag them off. You lot want to get your heads from out of your arses.

Unbelievable........

Social source share

Some people on this site aren't right in their head. The vidoe is top. The dancing looks really good and the spins and backdrops are what they wanted because ordinary people would find it rather good to watch.

Unbelievable........

I'd agree with that.

For heavens sake its a music video to promote a pop song.......just happens to show northern soul dancing in a reasonably good light - for once. Surely people can accept that?

Or is there some kind of Victor Meldrew virus going around?

Social source share

Yep, good stuff, well done to all concerned. I reccon Liams one of the best dancers around at the moment, and I love watching great dancers. I just wish he would come to Burnley every month, he's a great advert for the scene......

It's videos like this that will entice more youngsters to come and join us......

Phil.

Social source share

How anyone can call it rubbish is beyond belief.

Maybe they should have got some fat bold guy in spencers, filled him full of whizz then let him go dancing for 16 hrs. That would have looked much better than getting some young, cool geunine soulies who were representing the soul scene. Don't be proud of them eh! Just sit at your computer and slag them off. You lot want to get your heads from out of your arses.

Unbelievable........

Give this fat arse some spenner`s and he/i could piss over em`all absolutly no prob`s,no joke either.

Social source share

Just seen this one. Less scripted than the pop video so may appeal to others......

Promotion at V&A museum featuring Keb, Adey & others

Its not all northern soul, but its enjoyable & well worth watching.

This is just embaracing,and i didnt want to spoil me tea watchin`mr mod. :thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert