Pete S

• Replies 103
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Trevski

I cant understand some of the contributors on this thread, you either like it, or you don't, but there's no need to be disrespectful of a man, who has contributed to the soul scene more than all of you put together. Its called Respect, which unfortunately is very lacking in society today. I for one wish Tommy all the respect in the world as he is a True gentleman.

Thats a bit strong Brav. He made a few forgettable records, thats it. I think Soul Sam, Richard S. Johnny manship, Adey Croasdell etc. have put far more into the soul scene than Mr. Hunt, IMHO.

Social source share

Thats a bit strong Brav. He made a few forgettable records, thats it. I think Soul Sam, Richard S. Johnny manship, Adey Croasdell etc. have put far more into the soul scene than Mr. Hunt, IMHO.

Everyone's entitled to there opinion, and i respect that myself, but i see you put Dj's and Record sellers as giving more to Soul than an Artist. IMHO should be the other way round.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Everyone's entitled to there opinion, and i respect that myself, but i see you put Dj's and Record sellers as giving more to Soul than an Artist. IMHO should be the other way round.

Reespect your views Brav but I disagree,With regard to contributing to The Scene. The reason being, Tommy made a few tunes that weren't exactly 'big' on the scene, pretty odinary and run-of-the-mill. On the other hand, chaps like Adey for example, has promoted successful venues giving pleasure to thousands, kept the scene going thru' the dark times and, thru kent, made the music accessible to many who would have otherwise neve heard such gems. I for one appreciate this effort on behalf of the scene far more than Tommy's mediocre 45's. Plus, if it wasn't for The scene, no-one would have heard of Tommy Hunt! I think he owes the scene far more than it owes him, IMHO.

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

am i missing something

all i can read in this thread that maybe be classed as coming close to disrespect is one tacky joke about his surname

in fact members go out of their way to say no disrepect intended

feel free to point out what may have missed

I was refering to the tacky joke, but having seen what the poster writes on other threads, i doubt it was meant as a joke.

Besides i know for a fact that Tommy reads all SS posts and it wouldn't be very nice for him to have to read this thread.

Tommy is now 74 years of age and has not been in the best of health recently. The track was only done as a gimmick, surely he does'nt need to read all this crap about him.

Social source share

I was refering to the tacky joke, but having seen what the poster writes on other threads, i doubt it was meant as a joke.

Besides i know for a fact that Tommy reads all SS posts and it wouldn't be very nice for him to have to read this thread.

Tommy is now 74 years of age and has not been in the best of health recently. The track was only done as a gimmick, surely he does'nt need to read all this crap about him.

It's not about Tommy it's about the fact that someone used The Champion! Well that was my point anyway. And if he indeed does read every thread he'll know he's been praised to high heaven on here and I don't think there's ever been a bad word said against him.

Social source share

here it is n dont blame me ha ha :thumbsup: its been around for a while i know a few who have it on vynyll

MP3 Deleted as per site policy.

Already posted up in refosoul on page 1.

Edited by eddyg
Social source share

I cant understand some of the contributors on this thread, you either like it, or you don't, but there's no need to be disrespectful of a man, who has contributed to the soul scene more than all of you put together. Its called Respect, which unfortunately is very lacking in society today. I for one wish Tommy all the respect in the world as he is a True gentleman.

What a load of old tosh

you need to take a chill pill and stop being so sensitive on behalf of someone else.

Im a brickie and have been for 25 yrs ,like to think i do a decent job...but if i built a wall and it looked awful i'd take the critiscism and deservedly so!

whether this song is or was ever meant to be released aint the point Pete was making.

I believe he said he heard it at a party and could,nt believe what he was hearing.

Are you by any chance a mate of Eddie's or a member of "soul in sun" ??

Social source share

What a load of old tosh

you need to take a chill pill and stop being so sensitive on behalf of someone else.

Im a brickie and have been for 25 yrs ,like to think i do a decent job...but if i built a wall and it looked awful i'd take the critiscism and deservedly so!

whether this song is or was ever meant to be released aint the point Pete was making.

I believe he said he heard it at a party and could,nt believe what he was hearing.

Are you by any chance a mate of Eddie's or a member of "soul in sun" ??

My point was aimed at mrdarcy comment and in no way aimed at Pete.

Dont see how if i Know Eddy or if i'm a member of Soul in the Sun has anything to do with it.

Social source share

I suppose it wouldn't have been such a bad idea, commercially speaking, if the new lyrics hadn't been quite so naff.

And, even worse, the whole thing is ruined by the dreadful backing vocals which sound like Chas & Dave.

Sorry but it's "thumbs down" from me.

What's next?

:thumbsup:

Paul Mooney,

Juke Box Jury

Social source share

So I went to this birthday bash last night and the dj played - off a cd - a vocal version of The Champion by Tommy Hunt apparently called Soul In The Sun. Did I imagine this? Obviously knocked up last year but has anyone got it/heard it?

I probably know the answer to this already but I'll ask anyway. did ANYBODY dance to it Pete, :thumbsup:

Social source share

He made a few forgettable records, thats it.

He made some excellent records Trevski....and was great at the Kent 25th too!

As this was just a thing made for some of his friends I wouldn't worry about it - it's not as if it's being hyped as "the new northern soul sound" or anything.

Social source share

I probably know the answer to this already but I'll ask anyway. did ANYBODY dance to it Pete, :thumbsup:

Well it was more like a wedding reception than a soul do and they would have danced to anything...all the grannies were up on the floor dancing to The Snake as well

Social source share

Well it was more like a wedding reception than a soul do and they would have danced to anything...all the grannies were up on the floor dancing to The Snake as well

Suppose it was handy you took your records along then Pete :thumbsup:

Social source share

So it is called " Soul In The Sun " is it ? .......

Obviously a " tribute " to the get together in the sun , where TH has been known to do a spot at in the past .......

Is this the " Agadoo " for the post amphet generation ? ........

Malc Burton

Yes Yes & the last one PMSL yes

Never a truer word spoken in jest

Social source share

Reminds me of Prestatyn when the person who runs Soul In The Sun was DJing on the radio and asked for requests to be texted in to him...

"Can you f*ck of back to Tenerife and take your shite records with you" was at least one of the responses.

f++kin brilliant :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

, might in acual fact be an attempt to sound like the horn off one of those long distance trains you get in the States?

Pete, please don't send me those pictures of hearing aids. :unsure:

Think about it and use your imagination, don't you think it does sound like one of those train horns. Go on, admit it, I might be right.

:D

Records with train impressions in them should be reserved for fans of Thomas the Tank Engine.

Social source share

Records with train impressions in them should be reserved for fans of Thomas the Tank Engine.

:rolleyes: True, but have you ever listened to those classic Blues tracks with train horn impressions, fantastic rhythm and remember, they say that's where our soul music evolved from. So, bring it on Thomas.

Social source share

Thats a bit strong Brav. He made a few forgettable records, thats it. I think Soul Sam, Richard S. Johnny manship, Adey Croasdell etc. have put far more into the soul scene than Mr. Hunt, IMHO.

Yeh!but none of the above would say it,T Hunt totaly fantastic singer in his day and a real nice fella`aswell.too many people dissin`him sad or what,are you not"human"...forgettable?.

Social source share

Tommy made a few tunes that weren't exactly 'big' on the scene, pretty odinary and run-of-the-mill.

Too true!!! :lol: Got to say ~ sorry ~ to all you Tommy Hunt fans..... but i don,t rate him at all :lol: and this ~ soul in the sun ~ is complete SHITE!!! :rolleyes::lol:

JB xx

ask you to go and read the terms of use before posting on here again

Social source share

here are

heres the bit that may be of interest to you

bit of a catch all

but fits the bill here

No disruptive, offensive or abusive behaviour: contributions must be constructive and polite, not mean-spirited or contributed with the intention of causing trouble.

Social source share

here are

heres the bit that may be of interest to you

bit of a catch all

but fits the bill here

No disruptive, offensive or abusive behaviour: contributions must be constructive and polite, not mean-spirited or contributed with the intention of causing trouble.

could you also add must be in black lettering, 10 pitch? (or is there a way to see everything plain text and html?)

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Yeh!but none of the above would say it,T Hunt totaly fantastic singer in his day and a real nice fella`aswell.too many people dissin`him sad or what,are you not"human"...forgettable?.

I,m sure he is a real nice fella :rolleyes: not disputing that...... :lol: just expressing my opinion.....JB xx

Social source share

I don't know if they got paid either but I'm certain we would have heard about it directly from the artists if they hadn't. And wouldn't it have been splashed all over the papers if they hadn't. You know what the Americans are like for suing each other over the tiniest of things. Did we see any actual claims for non-payment to these artists?

No, I stick by what I said earlier, even though it might not be the best example in the world I could have used.

https://www.francesnero.com/Frances_Nero_We...te/Reviews.html

Look about 2/3's down, I appreciate your trust in the recording company (or niavity) but this was from one google. don't think it would be that difficult to find more similar evidence.

I don't want this to turn into the usual discussion about you know who, just think it's better to have some semblance of fact behind our stories on here.

Social source share

Tommy made a few tunes that weren't exactly 'big' on the scene, pretty odinary and run-of-the-mill.

Too true!!! :lol: Got to say ~ sorry ~ to all you Tommy Hunt fans..... but i don,t rate him at all :lol: and this ~ soul in the sun ~ is complete SHITE!!! :rolleyes::lol:

JB xx

I take it you are familiar with all his work, do you want to give us a list of his 10 most annoying records to you, then we can have better idea of what you are forming you'r opinion on.

Getting back to the closest thing to a topic this thread has, my opinion is Tommy Hunt has made some truly excellent music, some okay if a little MORish stuff, and some (not surprisingly tailor made for the Northern scene) I don't rate at all. I am not even going to listen to the track on here as it will just tarnish the recent memory of him from the Kent do, where although the ageing process had obviously had some impact on his vocals he still was a decent singer. I just hope, like the optimist Denbo, his Soul in The Sun connections are at least making him some money and if so good luck to them and him.

His Capitol and Atlantic 45 I would imagine would surprise many, and his version of I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself is becoming my favorite version, and there are a few good versions. Worth diggin a little deeper than Loving On The Losing Side (which actually on hearing at Kent do sounded a reasonable little disco number!) to get a better idea of the mans talents.

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Words Can Never Tell It - great tune by Tommy H

(my daughter better like it because somehow I've just managed to get it onto her list of ITunes :rolleyes: oh god, what have I pressed :lol: )

Social source share

Jock mentioned the Capitol 45, this is absolutely brilliant and should be snapped up without hesitation: "I'll Make You happy", a superb beat ballad of the highest order. Personally, I love his version of Never Love A Robin...

Never love a robin,me too allways have..........is this Capitol thing expencive Pete?

Social source share

I take it you are familiar with all his work, do you want to give us a list of his 10 most annoying records to you, then we can have better idea of what you are forming you'r opinion on.

I am familiar with his work "yes" i would,nt say all of it because i,m not sure i do know all of it! But i know a majority of it and its just my opinion! As is yours!

JB

Social source share

Getting back to the closest thing to a topic this thread has, my opinion is Tommy Hunt has made some truly excellent music, some okay if a little MORish stuff, and some (not surprisingly tailor made for the Northern scene) I don't rate at all. I am not even going to listen to the track on here as it will just tarnish the recent memory of him from the Kent do, where although the ageing process had obviously had some impact on his vocals he still was a decent singer. I just hope, like the optimist Denbo, his Soul in The Sun connections are at least making him some money and if so good luck to them and him.

His Capitol and Atlantic 45 I would imagine would surprise many, and his version of I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself is becoming my favorite version, and there are a few good versions. Worth diggin a little deeper than Loving On The Losing Side (which actually on hearing at Kent do sounded a reasonable little disco number!) to get a better idea of the mans talents.

you made a man out of me......brilliant

Social source share

Is this the " Agadoo " for the post amphet generation ? ........

Couldn't agree more!

Nothing against Tommy Hunt though, he's a great singer. He should be singing new songs, not lowering himself to the Ian Levine's level of ripping off well known classics! I think if songwritters/musicians and producers have not got any new ideas, they should pack it it!

Social source share

Reminds me of Prestatyn when the person who runs Soul In The Sun was DJing on the radio and asked for requests to be texted in to him...

"Can you f*ck of back to Tenerife and take your shite records with you" was at least one of the responses.

HA%20Family.jpg

:lol::D:shades::D:huh:

As for the record I've heard worse, third window, footsie :thumbsup:

Social source share

actually I quite like it and go back 30 years and everyone would have been raving about it if the lyrics were a little different!

P.S MR Pete Smith - Thanks for the Mary Wells Pete- I prefer Barbara & brendas vewrsion of Never love a robin

Yeah it's great, well I like both versions to be honest.

This Champion vocal thing is starting to fall into the "so bad it's quite good" category. Anyone notice how absolutely FANTASTIC the recording of The Champion sounds on this though, it's as if it's been surgically enhanced!

Social source share

Yeah it's great, well I like both versions to be honest.

This Champion vocal thing is starting to fall into the "so bad it's quite good" category. Anyone notice how absolutely FANTASTIC the recording of The Champion sounds on this though, it's as if it's been surgically enhanced!

can you cut me an acetate Pete ASAP?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert