Jeff King

Guest Malc Burton

I was compiling research information for a project recently , and while I was in conversation with a contact regarding it , the name of JEFF KING came into the course of play ......

Notorious and revered in his day for the recordings put out on his Soul Sounds label , I realised that apart from the odd bits I knew about him and his endeavours , I really did not / do not know much about the man , his background and the background to Soul Sounds , any other activities , and to what happened to him after his empire ceased to exist ......

I could do with a full Soul Sounds discography as well please .....

Anybody help me with this ?

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Soul Sounds Discography

Leon Haywood Baby Reconsider 1001

Donald Height Talk of the Grapevine 1002

Jimmy Holiday/ Clydie King Ready, Willing and Able 1003

Shirley Ellis Soul Time 1004

Human Beinz Nobody But Me 1005

Tammi Lynn I'm Gonna Run Away From You 1006

Gene Chandler There Was a Time 1007

Round Robin Kick That Little Foot Sally Ann 1008

Invitations What's Wrong With Me Baby 1009

Earl Harrison Humphrey Stomp 1010

Alexander Patton A Lil' Loving Sometimes 1011

Chuck Jackson These Chains of Love 1012

Dean Parrish Determination 1013

Peaches and Herb We're in this Thing Together 1014

Mary Love You Turned My Bitter into Sweet 1015

Barbara Lewis Someday We're Gonna Love Again 1016

Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels Break Out 1017

Blendells Dance with Me 1018

Soul Sisters Good Time Tonight 1019

Dean Parrish Tell Her 1020

Little Anthony & the Imperials Gonna Fix You Good 1021

Chubby Checker At the Discotheque 1022

Sharpees Tired of Being Lonely 1023

Roscoe Robinson That's Enough 1024

Incredibles There's Nothing Else to Say 1025

Homer Banks Hooked by Love 1026

Margie Hendrix Restless 1027

Bobby Sheen Dr Love 1028

Ronnie Milsap Ain't No Soul (left in these old shoes) 1029

(Source: Manships Guide to Bootlegs. Counterfeits and Reissues)

P.S. Don't send the boot police around - I haven't got any of these!

Social source share

PS, missed Dobie Gray.

Why ? has he been to read the meter and you were upstairs when he knocked ? ........

I know you have the full set , as I can recall your celebration on completing your wants list for them ......

Whether it is true that JK did a spot of bird for piracy cannot be confirmed , as it was supposed to have happened many years ago , it has become one of those " urban myths " related to to scene ......

The name of JK will always be one of THE names of the scene , and besides myself , I am sure that many people would / will be interested in the story of the man who openly made soul sounds available to the public ......

I am interested in the background of the man , what was his involvement in / on the scene prior to the launch of Soul Sounds , the

" creation " of Soul Sounds , the choice of releases for the label , etc . hence the request .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I am interested in the background of the man , what was his involvement in / on the scene prior to the launch of Soul Sounds , the

" creation " of Soul Sounds , the choice of releases for the label , etc . hence the request .......

Malc Burton

Keith Minshull will be able to give you the lowdon Malc.

He supplied the records (allegedly).

Note, nearly all the tracks had legitimate UK label releases prior to Soul Sounds.

Social source share

Keith Minshull will be able to give you the lowdon Malc.

He supplied the records (allegedly).

Note, nearly all the tracks had legitimate UK label releases prior to Soul Sounds.

I know .....

All I can assume why they were put out on SS , was they were beginning to become hard to find in their original form ......

I spoke about this to KM many years ago ( 35 + ) , and , though he did not confirm or deny anything then , I was led to strongly believe that he had a great deal of input with the releases on SS .......

From what I was led to also believe , that a lot of the releases that saw the light of day on OOTP , were - allegedly - scheduled for release on another label before its' " closure " .....

Was that label SS ? .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

From what I was led to also believe , that a lot of the releases that saw the light of day on OOTP , were - allegedly - scheduled for release on another label before its' " closure " .....

Malc Burton

That would really surprise me Malc.

I would have said there was at least 12 - 18 months between the end of SS (1970/71) and the start of OOTP (72/73) and particularly as many of the early OOTP releases weren't even 'discovered' during the SS period.

Certainly this needs investigating and documenting correctly.

What's the 'project'? I'll see what I can dig up for thi'.

:huh:

Social source share

That would really surprise me Malc.

I would have said there was at least 12 - 18 months between the end of SS (1970/71) and the start of OOTP (72/73) and particularly as many of the early OOTP releases weren't even 'discovered' during the SS period.

Certainly this needs investigating and documenting correctly.

What's the 'project'? I'll see what I can dig up for thi'.

:huh:

Apologies - bad use of the engish language when typing my posting .....

What I meant was that quite a few - not " quite a lot " - of the releases for OOTP , were scheduled for " release " on another label , and wondering , with KM's alleged involvement with SS , whether or not it was planned to reactivate the label ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

I notice theres a copy of Margie Hendrix on ebay at the Mo.That one and Dobie Gray i found the hardest to get.

Im sure that the ootp pressings were made available by former TORCH owner Chris Burton.Obvious links there with Kieth Minshull makes people assume he was an adviser.Never sure that he was involved at all.My understanding of Jeff King was that he was a market trader from Leicester who frequented The Wheel / Mojo and Beachcomber venues.Saw a gap in the market and took an entrepenureal punt.Did well with sales but came unstuck because so many of those titles were owned by EMI.Wether he did bird or not is the myth but all agree he got caught.Supposedly he left the scene thereafter.Did he do the BJD and Greenlight boots as well?

Social source share

I notice theres a copy of Margie Hendrix on ebay at the Mo.That one and Dobie Gray i found the hardest to get.

Im sure that the ootp pressings were made available by former TORCH owner Chris Burton.Obvious links there with Kieth Minshull makes people assume he was an adviser.Never sure that he was involved at all.My understanding of Jeff King was that he was a market trader from Leicester who frequented The Wheel / Mojo and Beachcomber venues.Saw a gap in the market and took an entrepenureal punt.Did well with sales but came unstuck because so many of those titles were owned by EMI.Wether he did bird or not is the myth but all agree he got caught.Supposedly he left the scene thereafter.Did he do the BJD and Greenlight boots as well?

The OOTP series of unofficial titles allegedly did have a connection with CB , and the vast majority of the stock that remained after they were stopped from being openly sold in creditable retail outlets , were destroyed in a warehouse fire in the late 70s ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Im sure that the ootp pressings were made available by former TORCH owner Chris Burton.Obvious links there with Kieth Minshull makes people assume he was an adviser.Never sure that he was involved at all.My understanding of Jeff King was that he was a market trader from Leicester who frequented The Wheel / Mojo and Beachcomber venues.Saw a gap in the market and took an entrepenureal punt.Did well with sales but came unstuck because so many of those titles were owned by EMI.Wether he did bird or not is the myth but all agree he got caught.Supposedly he left the scene thereafter.Did he do the BJDand Greenlight boots as well?

BJD...didn't 'At the discoteque/Cumbala be stay?? come out on this?

Social source share

BJD...didn't 'At the discoteque/Cumbala be stay?? come out on this?

Correct , Mr D ......

I am attempting for a posting in the near future , to put out a full listing of OOTP , BJD and Greenlight releases ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Guest tripsy

Not sure about that, but BJD stands for Brian, John and Dave...ex-Selectadisc employees in 1970.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert