Getting My Retaliation In First

Pete S

OK everyone, not sure if this is the right section but I have to tell you the following as the sh*t will soon start to hit the fan.

About 10 days ago I offered for sale a copy of Monique - If You Love Me (Show Me) - Maurci. I graded it vg+, said it was crackly at the start but overall played really well and loud - which it did. I very rarely overgrade records, especially when they are expensive/rare like this one.

So I had an email from a prospective buyer asking if I could send an mp3 of the record. I recorded the actual record and sent the full mp3 to the interested party. This party being Paloma Garcia from Spain. Yes, fine, she wants to buy the record, and pays me same day. I send the record, it's a done deal.

Until yesterday when she says that the record I sent her was not the one I recorded to mp3 - like I've got multiple copies of the Monique record lying around I WISH - and it crackled throughout. Well yes it did but it was barely audible under the very loud reproduction and of course she had already listened to the actual record and decided it was fine.

So she asks for her money back and I say no. I graded it accurately, she heard the whole record, just why should I refund the money because someone changes their mind or thinks can't make a profit on it?

So now, and I quote, she is going to cause me "damages" which will no doubt include a posting on here as to how I am a villain, a rip off merchant and a horder of Monique records.

So I'm explaining this now so you all know whats really going on. Yes I have disagreements with people on SS over topics. But I've never ripped off or deceived anyone with my record selling business, I'm not like that, I undergrade records and I will always sort something out in the unlikely event that there is a problem with a record. But when there isn't, and the person has already checked the record, why the hell should I refund the money?

Thanks for reading.

Social source share

• Replies 72
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

OK everyone, not sure if this is the right section but I have to tell you the following as the sh*t will soon start to hit the fan.

About 10 days ago I offered for sale a copy of Monique - If You Love Me (Show Me) - Maurci. I graded it vg+, said it was crackly at the start but overall played really well and loud - which it did. I very rarely overgrade records, especially when they are expensive/rare like this one.

So I had an email from a prospective buyer asking if I could send an mp3 of the record. I recorded the actual record and sent the full mp3 to the interested party. This party being Paloma Garcia from Spain. Yes, fine, she wants to buy the record, and pays me same day. I send the record, it's a done deal.

Until yesterday when she says that the record I sent her was not the one I recorded to mp3 - like I've got multiple copies of the Monique record lying around I WISH - and it crackled throughout. Well yes it did but it was barely audible under the very loud reproduction and of course she had already listened to the actual record and decided it was fine.

So she asks for her money back and I say no. I graded it accurately, she heard the whole record, just why should I refund the money because someone changes their mind or thinks can't make a profit on it?

So now, and I quote, she is going to cause me "damages" which will no doubt include a posting on here as to how I am a villain, a rip off merchant and a horder of Monique records.

So I'm explaining this now so you all know whats really going on. Yes I have disagreements with people on SS over topics. But I've never ripped off or deceived anyone with my record selling business, I'm not like that, I undergrade records and I will always sort something out in the unlikely event that there is a problem with a record. But when there isn't, and the person has already checked the record, why the hell should I refund the money?

Thanks for reading.

Good luck Pete,its out of order :wicked:

Social source share

What did I tell you...

• Apart, I will inform all my customers about you, I will tell this story in all the soul forums of USA, UK, Spain, France, Italy and Japan and I will say my friends that do the same because they know that I don't lie.

Ah tell her bollox Pete or I will :lol:

I will shout it from the rooftops, the hills and the mountains, I will tell my friends all over the world Buy yer vinyl from Pete he never rips you off. :wicked:

Social source share

Did you not offer her a full money back guarentee if she wasn't happy ?? you normally do mate !!

Ian.

The whole point of sending out the mp3 is so that people can hear the bloody record, how much more certain can you be if you've got the actual record to listen to? And at £400 I'm not f*cking about, it's a desirable record and it's not there to lend out to people. Would JM lend out a record to see if anyone wanted to buy it? No he puts sound samples up. It's a con mate, a stitch up. Seen it before, like on ebay when you sell a record for 100 quid and the customer says it's got a scratch but I'll keep it if you knock 20 quid off

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

The whole point of sending out the mp3 is so that people can hear the bloody record, how much more certain can you be if you've got the actual record to listen to? And at £400 I'm not f*cking about, it's a desirable record and it's not there to lend out to people. Would JM lend out a record to see if anyone wanted to buy it? No he puts sound samples up. It's a con mate, a stitch up. Seen it before, like on ebay when you sell a record for 100 quid and the customer says it's got a scratch but I'll keep it if you knock 20 quid off

I think you hit the nail on the head Pete!......I know its a pisser and annoying to have your integrity questioned but it will blow over.

Dont let the feckers get to you.

And it sounds ok to me too!.....what must she be playing it on?

Good luck with it!

:lol:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

The whole point of sending out the mp3 is so that people can hear the bloody record, how much more certain can you be if you've got the actual record to listen to?

Exactly. You've had the test drive, you've bought the car - full money back guarantee? :lol: Couple of hundred maybe (get out clause for messers*)

* no disrespect to Rob :D

Social source share

Did you not offer her a full money back guarentee if she wasn't happy ?? you normally do mate !!

Ian.

Actually yes, if the record is not in the condition stated then I would guarantee it, her argument that it is vg not vg+ ( :lol: ) but although visually it may be vg, I play grade my records and as you can hear from the mp3, not only is it vg+ it actually sounds better than that!

Social source share

People that know you Pete, or at least have dealt with you, know the score I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

I sold a Charles Johnson once and the buyer wasnt happy with the grading I agreed to accept it back refunded the cost and postage and when the record arrived back with me I agreed it was no where near Ex. That's because it wasn't the same record. :lol:

I think the buyer just upgraded their copy.

There are some dodgy buyers in deed.

Stick to you guns Pete.

Social source share

Another problem here is that if you look at the statement from her, she's going to slag me off to anyone who will listen, but to be honest, anyone who's dealt with me, and a lot of people go back with me 20 years or more, they'll see straight through this for what it is.

Social source share

Thanks for reading.

Pete

Did she pay by paypal or credit card?

Was it ebay sale ,or from your shop??

Consumer protection laws might be against you on this one mate.

I thought there was a definite law ,concerning "distance selling" ,where someone can't see the product on offer ,they have 14 days to return it etc.

Hate to say it Pete ,but surely you have to offer a returns policy?

I for one, hope everthing works out for you Pete ,always found you a good honest seller.

may not be so straight forward though!

Social source share

Yes I do, if it is not as described. This was as described and she even heard the bloody thing, what more can I offer?

BEEN BUYING OFF YOU PETE SINCE THE SEVENTIES AND ALSO SOLD A FEW COLLECTIONMS TO YOU, ALWAYS BEEN TOTALLY STRAIGHT AND HONEST WITH ME

SORRY MATE BUT SHES OUT OF ORDER..SOUNDS GOOD TO ME TOO

MUNCHKIN

PS

SEND IT HERE ILL GIVE YOU £40 FOR IT :lol:

Social source share

I love the fact she thinks I've got 2 copies of the record and I recorded a different one to the one I sent her. The last one I had before this, I sold to Stuart Tyler back in about 2000. That's seven years ago. The likelihood of me having to is - well the likelihood of anyone having two - is highly unlikely or more like impossible

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

WAS THAT TO GET YOUR WALLET SURGICALLY REMOVED FROM YOUR BACK POCKET MR RIMMER

=========================================================================

No he,s finally been seperated from his Simese twin John Weston the op

also removed a strange lookin T-shirt from Daves back :lol::D

Social source share

Guest JoeMoran

Pete - 400 quid for Monique is a bargain. listened to the soundfile and i dont think theres any complaint to be made.

love that fact the way everyones last played track in their profiles is the mp3 of the disputed record. :lol:

Social source share

I thought consumer protection gave a 7 day cooling off period to cancel the contract with no reasons needed.

Social source share

I thought consumer protection gave a 7 day cooling off period to cancel the contract with no reasons needed.

Yes Donna, come to think of it I have noticed this stipulation at the bottom of all dealers record lists that are sent to me, sent to Soul Source and on their own websites, how stupid of me to forget about this. That's why people are free to "buy" records, play them, record them and then return them for no reason isn't it.

Social source share

ive had a few things off you over the years pete, & the only thing you've ever been guilty of is under grading & under pricing,

Cheers mate. I've just had some Spanish bloke unsubscribe from my list because apparently I ripped him off (first I heard of it and he never complained before) and that he would never buy anything from me anyway (despite buying whatever I'm supposed to have ripped him off with and the fact he's been getting the lists for over 5 years).

Social source share

I don't think this covers second hand items.

Its a case of Caveat Emptor - and Pete has provided a soundfile to back up his grading.

As already stated on several responses, Petes grading is often under and I've yet to see another person state that he's overgraded a 45.

Social source share

yes.gif

Anyway Pete, the more people that stop buying from you, the more chance I have of not missing out on the ones I want... :thumbsup:

It is quite serious though, she's slagging me off to anyone who will listen and sh*t sticks eventually. If I take this record back, I'll make a video of me recording it to mp3 and posting it up, if it sounds exactly the same as the one I sent her (which it will) then it'll be pretty obvious who's lying.

Social source share

It is quite serious though, she's slagging me off to anyone who will listen and sh*t sticks eventually. If I take this record back, I'll make a video of me recording it to mp3 and posting it up, if it sounds exactly the same as the one I sent her (which it will) then it'll be pretty obvious who's lying.

I think afer all these years, when you get a feeling, you should stick with it.

Don't do the refund. :thumbsup:

Social source share

[/quot

my appoligies for making light of the situation, however, i dont think that many people will listen to her, theres enough people on here, who will vouch for you :thumbsup:

Edited by soulman1964
Social source share

:huh: pete if you take it back i will have it of you,never had a bad record of you in fact i think you under grade regards john"o"

Social source share