Royal Jesters "that Girl"

Guest Trevski

Guest Trevski

Just grabbed this offa ebay, as no-one else bothered!

Royal Jokers "That girl" on Optimum, same label as Joe Jamma, and I believe he was part of the Royal Jokers. I recon its quite a nice latin flavoured tune, from the soundclip, and gotta be worth a punt for £24! Not heard it before, whadda ya think? Playable?

post-1355-1200712469_thumb.jpg

That_Girl.mp3

That_Girl.mp3

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Royal Jokers "That girl" on Optimum, same label as Joe Jamma, and I believe he was part of the Royal Jokers. I recon its quite a nice latin flavoured tune, from the soundclip, and gotta be worth a punt for £24! Not heard it before, whadda ya think? Playable?

That_Girl.mp3

:ohmy: Nice tune Trevski, had it in my collection for quite a while, :yes: can't remember thinking of it as latin flavoured though ? Will have to have a fresh listen.

:shades: No i guess your right, the brass is quite latin i suppose.

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

This was played by Pat Brady at Stafford/other venues around that time. It also came out on Bell, which is a longer take. In fact, it almost sounds like they cut the tape at the wrong place/too short for the Optimum release...odd. Great track and mileage left in it imo. (Flipside is good too, albeit moving away from Soul a tad.)

post-9555-1200715118_thumb.jpg

post-9555-1200715118_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anoraks Corner
Social source share

Guest Trevski

This was played by Pat Brady at Stafford/other venues around that time. It also came out on Bell, which is a longer take. In fact, it almost sounds like they cut the tape at the wrong place/too short for the Optimum release...odd. Great track and mileage left in it imo. (Flipside is good too, albeit moving away from Soul a tad.)

That's interesting Dave, about the longer take, as both labels show 3:12!

Social source share

That_Girl.mp3

I looked at that Trev but have the Bell release so didn't bother, I played it in a Stafford spot at the Neighbourhood 4 room all dayer a few years ago, this and Donald Jenkins Somebody Help Me got loadsa people asking about them neither that expensive but I guess not that well known back then. Donald Jenkins has had a bit more exposure in the last five years or so but Royal Jokers yet to have it's day.

Social source share

That_Girl.mp3

Hi Trevksi,

No connection as far as I'm aware to The Royal Jokers. Royal Jesters were a latin/chicano trio weren't they? Sort of Texas/RnB/Latin exponents, same as Joe Jama. Not a Detroit connection that I could find at all. Be extremely surprised, although I may be wrong, but if you check out Issue #6 of There's That Beat! you'll see a pic of The Royal Jesters - definitely Tex-Mex'ers.

Agree that their outing on Jester is the one to have. The Optimum/Bell 45 is absolute pants. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Trevksi,

No connection as far as I'm aware to The Royal Jokers. Royal Jesters were a latin/chicano trio weren't they? Sort of Texas/RnB/Latin exponents, same as Joe Jama. Not a Detroit connection that I could find at all. Be extremely surprised, although I may be wrong, but if you check out Issue #6 of There's That Beat! you'll see a pic of The Royal Jesters - definitely Tex-Mex'ers.

Agree that their outing on Jester is the one to have. The Optimum/Bell 45 is absolute pants. :thumbsup:

Dave, which outing on Jester, I own at least 3 of them and I think there are more. Are you talking about the mary wells cover that is sort of collectible now? They also have a ton of records on optimum.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Hi Trevksi,

Thats my brain Dave! Typed Jokers instead of Jesters! Didn't mean to imply a connection, just got me Jesters/Jokers mixed up! (silly old b***er that I am!)

Social source share

Guest EType69

That_Girl.mp3

Hadn't seen a Optimum copy before, own a Bell demo & play it at Hertford.

Steve

Social source share

which outing on Jester, I own at least 3 of them and I think there are more. Are you talking about the mary wells cover that is sort of collectible now?

boba -My fave Jester 45 by them is their version of, 'I want you 'round', which is a cover of Marvin and Mary.

Trev - just clocked the Bell version and it is defo 3:12...time the Optimum one, there's a good fellow as I'm sure it is 10 seconds or so shy?

:D

Social source share

Guest Trevski

boba -My fave Jester 45 by them is their version of, 'I want you 'round', which is a cover of Marvin and Mary.

Trev - just clocked the Bell version and it is defo 3:12...time the Optimum one, there's a good fellow as I'm sure it is 10 seconds or so shy?

:rolleyes:

Just arrived this mornin' timed it exactly from first note to last, and its 3:10! no fade, just ends sharply on last note.

Social source share

Just arrived this mornin' timed it exactly from first note to last, and its 3:10! no fade, just ends sharply on last note.

There you go, 2 seconds difference :lol:

Odd. Very odd. I distinctly recall playing an Optimum copy after a Bell one many moons ago, in order to check that there was a noteable difference...which there was. Maybe there are differing cuts on Optimum...time for a label discography maybe?

:rolleyes:

Social source share

There you go, 2 seconds difference :thumbup:

Odd. Very odd. I distinctly recall playing an Optimum copy after a Bell one many moons ago, in order to check that there was a noteable difference...which there was. Maybe there are differing cuts on Optimum...time for a label discography maybe?

:thumbup:

https://www.texassoulrecordings.com/o.html

I think I know the 103# I have to dig it out. I think there might be higher numbers not listed also.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert