Future Of Northern Soul

Arabica

I recently had a meeting with a guy who i agreed with to purchase some soul products for our venue we got on to disscussing how long do you think northern soul will be around well who knows i was in at the begining last time i suppose i am fortunate to have been a 60s teenager who was into the Mod Skinhead and scooter scene who drifted into Northern locally going to the Brit Palais intercon 360 club and then the wheel in 1969 and Blackpool Mecca but i moved on joining the Army in the early 70s. But i allways played my tunes at home and remember well bumping into Tich Brewer in the Army who was a soulman like me i remember playing Humphry Stomp wheres that gone anyway i got back to soul 8 years ago started of going local to Annesley Awsworth Skegness various coastal weekenders then 18 months ago we decided to opena venue in Nottingham it all came about from just standing outside a venue not dancing the tunes were becoming a bit rare i like the 60s to be honest i like most of the northern i have a saying the tune goes in my ear through my heart and out my feet we have had a very enjoyable time running the venues yes we have two going the customers are enjoying a good night out some do make comments the music was not for them but as fellow promotors may agree it is hard to please all the time everytime this is not a plug for the venues but to make the comment that i do feel we have a future with our super soul music the customers want a good night out its a good place to meet people in a friendly atmosphere have a dance listen out for new tunes the djs are still finding them anyway as the tune goes it will never be over for me and i still get the Buzz when friday hits do you.

Mall Redman January 18th 2008

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Brian Ellis

I recently had a meeting with a guy who i agreed with to purchase some soul products for our venue we got on to disscussing how long do you think northern soul will be around well who knows i was in at the begining last time i suppose i am fortunate to have been a 60s teenager who was into the Mod Skinhead and scooter scene who drifted into Northern locally going to the Brit Palais intercon 360 club and then the wheel in 1969 and Blackpool Mecca but i moved on joining the Army in the early 70s. But i allways played my tunes at home and remember well bumping into Tich Brewer in the Army who was a soulman like me i remember playing Humphry Stomp wheres that gone anyway i got back to soul 8 years ago started of going local to Annesley Awsworth Skegness various coastal weekenders then 18 months ago we decided to opena venue in Nottingham it all came about from just standing outside a venue not dancing the tunes were becoming a bit rare i like the 60s to be honest i like most of the northern i have a saying the tune goes in my ear through my heart and out my feet we have had a very enjoyable time running the venues yes we have two going the customers are enjoying a good night out some do make comments the music was not for them but as fellow promotors may agree it is hard to please all the time everytime this is not a plug for the venues but to make the comment that i do feel we have a future with our super soul music the customers want a good night out its a good place to meet people in a friendly atmosphere have a dance listen out for new tunes the djs are still finding them anyway as the tune goes it will never be over for me and i still get the Buzz when friday hits do you.

Are you having trouble with the 'full stop' on your keyboard?

Brian :g:

Social source share

Fookin hell mate. Yeah I sort of get the drift.

:g:

Social source share

You know i did not come up for air good point though just a new boy at this keyboard stuff lost the secretary.???????????

A up Malc

The secertary is back !. Heres the full stops you missed out ............................................ that should cover you ! he he thumbup.gif

Social source share

Good Music lives forever.

Worst case scenario, If you were to say that Soul Music is Good, then it will live forever.

As it is Brilliant, even longer than that. :shades:

It might not be an exact scene but the Music will be there.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

In a recent pub conversation, a bit tongue-in-cheek, we came up with the idea of a virtual all-nighter in Second Life. It was meant as a bit of a joke, but I wouldn't be surprised if an enterprising promoter tries it. If people can DJ with laptops, why not? I can't see people forking out for virtual gear though.

Social source share

In a recent pub conversation, a bit tongue-in-cheek, we came up with the idea of a virtual all-nighter in Second Life. It was meant as a bit of a joke, but I wouldn't be surprised if an enterprising promoter tries it. If people can DJ with laptops, why not? I can't see people forking out for virtual gear though.

Not related to the original post but a virtual alniter could take place in the chatroom on here now.. Just arrange a date and time for people to log in and arrange who would play the tunes at what times, everyone listens to same person and bingo!.. alniter, listening to tunes with your mates and you dont have to leave the house!..

I'll shut up now.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Not related to the original post but a virtual alniter could take place in the chatroom on here now.. Just arrange a date and time for people to log in and arrange who would play the tunes at what times, everyone listens to same person and bingo!.. alniter, listening to tunes with your mates and you dont have to leave the house!..

I'll shut up now.

Jayne.x.

When I was doing some work for PCRL radio in Birmingham, Mickey Nold their Sixties Soul, Show host ran a couple of radio allnighters where he took over the station from midnight on a Saturday for the next eight hours. I'm sure John Weston and Ted Massey will remember them. It must be at least ten years ago, and we all recorded our individual spots and then Mickey linked them all together on the night with news and adverts. I suppose it was the closest you could get in those days to a virtual allnighter.

Of course PCRL was more in the line of Pikey's Dog's work and eventually the DTI shut the station down.

Social source share

I'll shut up now.

Jayne.x.

I`ll be available for virtual bookings. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Jayne - that is a good idea. A sort of bespoke radio programme.

I think the evolution of mechanical and computer formats is still key to much we discover about the music. I hold the 45rpm in high esteem and am quick to mention it will probably outlast the CD format by the way things are going. Do you remember when everybody had a walkman or other portable CD player? Not any more. It is a dying format that was rushed to get out into the shops in the 1980's, along with the vhs revolution...and look where that is now.

As for the future of Northern Soul, I do not know. I am not an expert and never will be. However, I feel strongly that new songs and new groups have a difficult and important chalice to pursue if they want to match the quality of some of those 1960's/70's records. It will be in the song writing and production where echoes of yesteryear can match and win over young and old fans today. There is no reason why a good track cannot be produced today with the same love and passion exerted say, in 1965. It is all about hopes and dreams being embedded in the project and being supported along the way. It must have been difficult to win over people back in those days, before a track disappeared into oblivion, to then be discovered 10 years later in the UK. Just like it is today for new and upcoming talent, a difficult predicament faces them, whilst many customers have their comfy shoes on and will not deviate from what they know and like the best. I have a similar problem with my stuff. Much of it written in 2004, yet it has no credence to many today. It is a paradox where the discrimination on this occasion is time. It's alright to hear an oldie on the radio from 1966, but not to write tunes that have modern words in, for example, but orchestrated to soulful standards. I now appreciate and understand why my dad always asks for haddock and chips when he goes out for a meal. It is his choice, but why can't he try swordfish or oysters for a change?

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Dave - that radio idea is only the beginning. Did you ever see that Frank Sinatra show down in London, where he appeared on stage etc? They had virtual images, vocals, and some stunning effects that brought him alive. One day it could be Jackie Wilson, and then the kids will see the talent and have something to aspire to. I like live music and I think some teenage soul artists would be a tonic for me. So much so, I would love to find 4 or 5 in a mixed group and do something vocally with them. Maybe one day....

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

There is no future for northern soul............. cause we are all going to DIE and our kids and grand kids will sell our precious records at car boot sales and flee markets for 20p................................. Just like them old 33rpm you see everwhere...................Oh my God I think I'll end it now........................................

Sorry the fullstop button keeps sticking......................

Chris

4_1_72.gif

Social source share

If you want to turn a profit now bridget I'll give you £1 for the Delrays ( always enjoy hearing you spin that) .... as for me I'm going to smash and burn my few meagre collectables to make the future even rarer - simple economics.

If we could predict trends we'd all be richer and have better collections!

Dean

Social source share

Don't worry, northern soul won't "die" anytime soon, i'll take care of it when you guys and girls are too old to put on a 45! tongue.gif

btw: I know a lot of people that are in their 20s/30s that love the sounds but just can't afford 'em (yet). I think the prices 'll drop in the not-so-very-near future, but the 45s 'll be taken care for very well i'm sure.

Social source share

The scene will never be the same as we had, whatever our era was.

It has to change or die.

Youngsters may not want 100% northern all night, but similar to the night Paul B is putting on at Manchester Uni, a bit of funk, a bit of reggae, some Motown, and about 40/50% northern is what they may go for.

Surroundings will change. I love old dingy venues with atmosphere. Not many about in modern City centres.

However the music will never die entirely, but values, at some stage, will plummet.

We must enjoy it while we can, but I must be totally honest, I have not enjoyed the last few do's I have been to, but still listen to the music every night, searching for newies, records I have never heard, or those hundreds of underplayed oldies.

I think there are signs, like Burnley all nighter attendances slipping, that our scene is on the decline now.

Social source share

I think there are signs, like Burnley all nighter attendances slipping, that our scene is on the decline now.

I think that is down to bad planning by me Brian. Two big events on the next day. And I'm afraid that most people can't do two nighters in a weekend now........Get yourself down to the next Burnley on the 22nd of Feb, and I assure you it will be packed......All the Friday night do's are struggling at the moment. I'm hoping to move most of my dates to Saturdays as soon as possible.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

There is no future for northern soul............. cause we are all going to DIE and our kids and grand kids will sell our precious records at car boot sales and flee markets for 20p................................. Just like them old 33rpm you see everwhere...................Oh my God I think I'll end it now........................................

Sorry the fullstop button keeps sticking......................

Chris

4_1_72.gif

As I am younger than a lot of folk on the scene (34) I would just like to inform you that it is people like myself that will be buying the records you paid hundreds of pounds for at the carboots or charity shops; I am eagerly awaiting the demise of most of you at the moment.

That said I will be well into my fifties or sixties before this happens, so I wont have much time to enjoy them unless some of you lose the marbles and end up in a rest home or worse and your records end up in the carboot sale long before you expect. Either way I will get my paws on a few expensive rarities at some stage for a few pence. I would just like all you Soul grannies and grandads to know that my generation will take good care of your records. :huh:

Edited by andyrattigan
Social source share

As I am younger than a lot of folk on the scene (34) I would just like to inform you that it is people like myself that will be buying the records you paid hundreds of pounds for at the carboots or charity shops; I am eagerly awaiting the demise of most of you at the moment.

That said I will be well into my fifties or sixties before this happens, so I wont have much time to enjoy them unless some of you lose the marbles and end up in a rest home or worse and your records end up in the carboot sale long before you expect. Either way I will get my paws on a few expensive rarities at some stage for a few pence. I would just like all you Soul grannies and grandads to know that my generation will take good care of your records. :huh:

Vulture :huh:

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Vulture :huh:

I will be having a snoop in your box at the next 100 club to see what I can get down the carboot in 20-30 years. Maybe you could mark the prices down now at least that way you will get some time to enjoy the money. I will give you triple what they will go for at the carboot :huh:

I extend this offer to all ageing record dealers. Offer is only open for a limited time as most of you will be in the rest home soon, so hurry whilst you still have the time :huh:

Social source share

When I was doing some work for PCRL radio in Birmingham, Mickey Nold their Sixties Soul, Show host ran a couple of radio allnighters where he took over the station from midnight on a Saturday for the next eight hours. I'm sure John Weston and Ted Massey will remember them. It must be at least ten years ago, and we all recorded our individual spots and then Mickey linked them all together on the night with news and adverts. I suppose it was the closest you could get in those days to a virtual allnighter.

Of course PCRL was more in the line of Pikey's Dog's work and eventually the DTI shut the station down.

:huh:Remember it well Dave, Mickey asked me to record an hour for the allnighter :huh: used to listen to the" whats on this weekend" on Friday mornings during the northern slot

To attempt to give some answers to the original question re- the future

Sad to say but it will I feel just fade away, not completely of course, but we have a whole generation of folk well on there way to there 50ts & 60ts and the reality is we are all at some point going to have to go to the big weekender in the sky, were not exclusive on the NS scene

Can only think if you spoke to your parents they would tell you how great it was to be in to rock & roll era & then the 60ts thing with the Beatles and all that, would imagine there were folk out there as passionate about there music scene and the collecting of vinyl etc, and they would have out numbered us 10 fold, but where are they now,

To just put a different slant on it, when I was a teen, and in to Northern, the likes of Elvis & The Beatles were still huge, now days although they are not forgotten not by a long chalk, they don"t seem as important or as popular just my opinion of course

We all moan now about how are bones ache when we attempt to dance etc, for those of us still around in the next twenty years, what will we be doing then, its one of them for me, I dont like to think about a number of things these days the future especialy, but as nice as it would be, you cannot just put your head in the sand, some things just have to be faced, and the demise of the soul scene in the future is just one of them, as hard as we try we just dont have enough of the younger generation concerned enough to keep it alive & kicking :lol:

"Gone but not forgotten"

:huh:

Social source share

PMSL :lol: - You are terrible!...terrible but hillarious... anyway, you'll be fighting Livesey and I for them and and you'll be old and slow by then too!. :huh::huh:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Jayne - that is a good idea. A sort of bespoke radio programme.

I think the evolution of mechanical and computer formats is still key to much we discover about the music. I hold the 45rpm in high esteem and am quick to mention it will probably outlast the CD format by the way things are going. Do you remember when everybody had a walkman or other portable CD player? Not any more. It is a dying format that was rushed to get out into the shops in the 1980's, along with the vhs revolution...and look where that is now.

As for the future of Northern Soul, I do not know. I am not an expert and never will be. However, I feel strongly that new songs and new groups have a difficult and important chalice to pursue if they want to match the quality of some of those 1960's/70's records. It will be in the song writing and production where echoes of yesteryear can match and win over young and old fans today. There is no reason why a good track cannot be produced today with the same love and passion exerted say, in 1965. It is all about hopes and dreams being embedded in the project and being supported along the way. It must have been difficult to win over people back in those days, before a track disappeared into oblivion, to then be discovered 10 years later in the UK. Just like it is today for new and upcoming talent, a difficult predicament faces them, whilst many customers have their comfy shoes on and will not deviate from what they know and like the best. I have a similar problem with my stuff. Much of it written in 2004, yet it has no credence to many today. It is a paradox where the discrimination on this occasion is time. It's alright to hear an oldie on the radio from 1966, but not to write tunes that have modern words in, for example, but orchestrated to soulful standards. I now appreciate and understand why my dad always asks for haddock and chips when he goes out for a meal. It is his choice, but why can't he try swordfish or oysters for a change?

Interesting point sir.. :huh:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

I think that is down to bad planning by me Brian. Two big events on the next day. And I'm afraid that most people can't do two nighters in a weekend now........Get yourself down to the next Burnley on the 22nd of Feb, and I assure you it will be packed......All the Friday night do's are struggling at the moment. I'm hoping to move most of my dates to Saturdays as soon as possible.

:huh: Thanks Phil

Social source share

If you want to turn a profit now bridget I'll give you £1 for the Delrays ( always enjoy hearing you spin that) .... as for me I'm going to smash and burn my few meagre collectables to make the future even rarer - simple economics.

If we could predict trends we'd all be richer and have better collections!

Dean

hey up, now then £1 mmmmm worth thinking about, no tell you what I'll leave it to you in my will.

15_1_60.gif

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

I can remember (just..lol) having this conversation a fair few years ago on the merits & sustainability of the Northern Soul scene, as we've seen there are more venues now, people still passionate enough about the scene to continue going to regular soul nites.

This is of course where it becomes a bone of contention, demographically speaking it's got to fade away if not entirely, there are just not enough to carry the torch on into infinity.

As for the tongue in cheek convo about virtual all-nighters, we've hit upon a similiar idea, an Northern Soul old peoples home, constant piped Northern Soul, it won't matter if a track is repeated as you won't remember it just being played, 'top tune ain't heard this for frigging years', drug trolley around a couple of times a day, wheelchairs for the infirm with backdrop capabilities & auto clap mechanism....bliss!

KTF

Baz

Social source share

Well I feel somewhat cheated. As an avid viewer of Tomorrow's World in the early 70's I fully expected to be wearing a silver all-in-one suit by now and attending lunar allnighters. I thought prices would rocket but the clubs would have no atmosphere.

ROD

I too feel cheated by those charletons on Tomorrow's World. I recall within one programme they featured a 'Vocal Eliminator', which when plugged into one's Hi-Fi would remove the vocal from ANY tune merely at the twist of a knob. Hunted for years for one...all I got offered were graphic equalisers which never really did what I wanted.

:lol:

(I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere, and am now fully expecting Rod to find it! :yes: )

Social source share

2rm1idi.gif

I think its great to see young people at Nighters but they are very thin on the ground and not in the numbers needed to carry the scene on when we old crusties go. So is there a future for the Northernsoul Scene? No. The music will stay and we may have the odd revival like the Mods did.

The trick is to enjoy it as much as you can for as long as you can.

Social source share

Did a little digging on the net and found Mickey Nold's homepage. If you scroll down to the bottom you will find the flyer and guest line ups for the radio allnighters we did in 1994 !

Mickey Nold's Home Page

Social source share

Guest LizandRoger

I reckon that as long as DJ's want to play em and people want to listen to em, the music will live on.............

and thats the heart of it really in my humble opinion.

the young'ns are out there my 19 yr old daughter loves the sounds and the venues she has been to with us.

as long as we 'spread the faith' and widen its audience it can only help the length of its life, so while we all end up in nursing homes or at the Darby & Joan clubs still listening and more jiggling than dancing the younger ones will hopefully be keeping the active scene alive however it evolves.

So I think well selected commercial use of good tracks can only serve to bring it to the ears of a wider audience. by well selected I use the KFC soul food campaign as an example...................But do we really want the Lambrini crowd descending on us no.gif or worse we then become tainted by association ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert