Collecting Us Verve Label 45s

Russoul1

hi all, just been spinning a few tunes at home realising over the years how many verve 45s ive

amassed mainly light blue demos. it got me thinking knowing that there are black issues, dark blue

issues, yellow demos, light blue demos which is the most collectable format? does it depend on

the 45? were demos mainly light blue? are issues mainly dark blue? why dont you see so many

black issues, yellow demos? any info and input would be interesting.

regards

russ

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Got Tommy Yates - Darling Something's Gotta Give on a red Verve label. Can't remember if it's an issue or a demo though.
never seen a red one, is it a us press? interesting have got pat thomas on a black issue and yellow demo never seen it on blue format

does the colour format/formats come from the year the 45 is pressed ie early 60s later 60s?

russ

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Don't come much rarer than this blue issue !

hi all, just been spinning a few tunes at home realising over the years how many verve 45s ive

amassed mainly light blue demos. it got me thinking knowing that there are black issues, dark blue

issues, yellow demos, light blue demos which is the most collectable format? does it depend on

the 45? were demos mainly light blue? are issues mainly dark blue? why dont you see so many

black issues, yellow demos? any info and input would be interesting.

regards

russ

post-1703-1200673033_thumb.jpg

Social source share

nice one john, got light blue demo one thought the black issue was harder? or even the yellow

one. perfect example why do some 45s come in all these formats? and some dont?

Edited by russoul1
Social source share

nice one john, got light blue demo one thought the black issue was harder? or even the yellow

one. perfect example why do some 45s come in all these formats? and some dont?

Light blue demo, is the demo of the dark blue issue.

Yellow demo, is the demo of the black issue.

I have read/heard that the Yellowdemo/Black issue copies where the Jazz series for Verve, anyone know for sure?

Social source share

Hi John

Nice One Mate

That is Rare on Blue Stock Copy.

Verve_VK-10423a_DJ.jpg

Always expected it to exist, as I have the Light Blue DEMO

However, I hadn't seen a Blue Stock Copy until recently on Manships, and now your copy.

Verve_VK-10423a.jpg

I also have the Black Label Stock Copy & have seen the Yellow DEMO.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Light blue demo, is the demo of the dark blue issue.

Yellow demo, is the demo of the black issue.

I have read/heard that the Yellowdemo/Black issue copies where the Jazz series for Verve, anyone know for sure?

That is an Interesting Theory Mate.

I have often wondered about the different colour Labels for Verve.

With the two Stock copies and the Yellow DEMO being so RARE & the Light Blue DEMO not so Easy either.

I couldn't find the reason for the two released designs for this High Keys release.

• Couldn't see a re-issue scenario as the record doesn't appear to have been successful enough at the time. (i.e. where are all the copies today)

• Wondered if a change of Label Design happened at the time of release and this record was caught up in the transition.

• Different Pressing Plants.
  • Different Coast

I for one am willing to absorb the "Jazz Series" Theory as a possibility until proven otherwise.

Does tick a few boxes for me.

With the Label name crossing the Pond to the U.K. I find it strange that we still know so little about certain aspects of it's U.S. production.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I can't say for sure, but I have a number of jazz 45s on this label, and they are all either yellow demos or black stock copies.

I know this topic is concerned specifically with Verve 45s, but are there any soul LPs that were ever released on this label? Just curious, as I have never come across any.

Social source share

That is an Interesting Theory Mate.

I have often wondered about the different colour Labels for Verve.

With the two Stock copies and the Yellow DEMO being so RARE & the Light Blue DEMO not so Easy either.

I couldn't find the reason for the two released designs for this High Keys release.

• Couldn't see a re-issue scenario as the record doesn't appear to have been successful enough at the time. (i.e. where are all the copies today)

• Wondered if a change of Label Design happened at the time of release and this record was caught up in the transition.

• Different Pressing Plants.
  • Different Coast

I for one am willing to absorb the "Jazz Series" Theory as a possibility until proven otherwise.

Does tick a few boxes for me.

With the Label name crossing the Pond to the U.K. I find it strange that we still know so little about certain aspects of it's U.S. production.

Just out of interest Roger

Do you have stock copies of 'Real Jive Guy' - Dejah Ahres ?

Only ever seen yellow promos of both Vocal & Inst versions

Best

M. :wicked:

Social source share

I can't say for sure, but I have a number of jazz 45s on this label, and they are all either yellow demos or black stock copies.

I know this topic is concerned specifically with Verve 45s, but are there any soul LPs that were ever released on this label? Just curious, as I have never come across any.

Without getting into the debate of whether or not the Righteous Brothers were Soul artists, they definately had LPs released on the Verve label.

Social source share

Hi John

Nice One Mate

That is Rare on Blue Stock Copy.

Verve_VK-10423a_DJ.jpg

Always expected it to exist, as I have the Light Blue DEMO

However, I hadn't seen a Blue Stock Copy until recently on Manships, and now your copy.

Verve_VK-10423a.jpg

I also have the Black Label Stock Copy & have seen the Yellow DEMO.

Yellow Demo of the High Keys

post-2354-1200743283_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jim

All four together.

Look nice don't they.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I am sure that the yellow is the black issue and the light blue is the blue issue, most I have seen many copies of either with exception to the high keys only.

I started out with demos but have moved on to blue issues not to keen on the black issue.

I collect the black issues

I believe they are from the nashville end and are therefore much tougher to locate

yellow demos? maybe same story

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Got Tommy Yates - Darling Something's Gotta Give on a red Verve label. Can't remember if it's an issue or a demo though.
never seen a red one, is it a us press? interesting have got pat thomas on a black issue and yellow demo never seen it on blue format

does the colour format/formats come from the year the 45 is pressed ie early 60s later 60s?

russ

Hi

I Won this one Last Night for a couple of Dollars, first Red Verve DEMO that I've seen.

Verve_VK-10574a_DJ.gifVerve_VK-10574b_DJ.gif

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert