Beat Ballads

Guest Malc Burton

Sorry Frank, you've totally got all your years upside down, wrong way round, and who played what, or when is all over the place :g:

Sorry to say your are so wrong:

Firstly Colin Curtis obtained "Ever Again" from me at the "The Ritz" All Dayer when Tavares were live! that day circa 1976-ish? I swapped it for a new discovery "Andre Gagnon - Wow" one of my fabulously stupid deals, the same day I let Ian Levine have "Cheatin ' Kind" for £3.00 another shrewd move. Neil Rushton is witness to all this in case you can't believe anyone could be so stupid.

If I remember correctly "Ever Again" was a four copy John Anderson find which most copies where snapped up by Cleethorpes DJs.

Where the hell you got 1974 and the Mecca for "Paris Blues" is beyond me. This was not a Northern Soul play @ that time but was on many Belgium "popcorn" wants lists @ the time. I acquire a copy from the amazing stock of Al Pavlo in 1976 to sell to Robert Van De Hove of Gent.

Paris Blues was after the Pier period, it was a Winter Gardens spin, and it was my "last Record" cause I knew nobody would dance to it. At the time the "Levine Must Go" campaign was on and Levine was upsetting Sam by playing he own made music, disco & 70s.

As for this fairy-tale-land about "Paris Blues" being ideal Mecca fodder, I was a regular in '74, it certainly was not ideal Mecca spin and I'd never heard of the record until Robert De Hove turned me on to it.

You can't "disappear" for two decades then come back and dictate history as you remember it. As far as I'm concerned it was my last record to any empty floor..and I certainly was not emulating Levine or anything he played at the time.

Maybe botox affects the memory, maybe I'm totally and absolutely wrong, maybe Levine played Arin Demain in the same set as "Four Vandals" and maybe "Larry Clinton" was first played by Richard Searling and not Soul Sam.

Please do not try and tell me what I was playing and when and what was "new" and what was. I was rather proud of the fact that "Paris Blues" actually "took off" and is now a classic now your saying Ian Levine was playing it before... I'm mortified :lol:

Between you and the Top 500 book Northern Soul history will be re-written and I won't be in it.... :lol:

Please let me have "The Paris Blues" kudos... I think this went on with Charles Darwin and his mates, on who found what monkey first.. didn't it?

PS the bidding war record you mentioned was "Prince George - "The Wrong Crowd" which was of course a Colin Curtis & Blackpool Mecca exclusive at the time.

Botox!!!??? Cheeky bugger! There's nowt up with my memory!

Bernie Williams

I just spoke to Colin after you'd almost convinced me that my brain was completely addled and he confirmed that he was playing Bernie Williams in '74/'75 and that it was considered to be a one-off at the time. His copy came from John Anderson. It was a 'Mecca last-hour' favourite which is how I heard it in the first place.

He eventually sold his copy to Jack Bollington in Derby. Jack bought it off Colin and I ended up involved in a virtual phone-auction with Jack where the price jumped from £40 to circa £150 in the space of a few hours - my last offer on it was something like £100 and a World Column and Rosey Jones I seem to remember. I could swear that you got that copy but if you didn't then someone else did but who? It was a rare record at the time.......

Colin also confirmed that Levine DID have 'Paris Blues' at the Mecca but 'til I speak to the large one I'll hold fire.......

Incidentally, no one's 'dictating' anything here Johnny. My memory's actually bang-on most of the time and I spent a large part of my 'two decade disappearance' (almost three really) keeping tabs on the scene, visiting all-nighters every now and then and constantly flogging records to many people if I've had some decent finds whenever I went to the States.

If I'm wrong on the Tony Middleton then fair enough - credit where credit's due and you're welcome to the kudos mate. However, I do know that I heard it @ The Mecca, I know that Levine had it (Colin just confirmed it) and I know that I knew about it before I went to the States in mid 1976 because it was on my hitlist back then.

Will check with the rotund one and come back and I'll be quite prepared to eat humble pie in the unlkely event that my mind has been playing tricks LOL....... :ohmy:

Best,

Ian D

Social source share

• Replies 115
  • Views 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

You seem pretty clear on your history John - so out of interest just when you first play Arin Demain? Or don't you want to tell!

:g:

Frankie,

I found Arin Demain in Pittsburgh around 1977 that replaced "Paris Blues" as my last record to my set. Then I think Nev Wherry bought it off me after I finished DJing 2 years later.

Being an old record-hound yourself Ian, you will remember,as all of us do, exactly when and where you found any significant record.

IE That huge Belgium "Dick Baker Combo" 45 you found on that label with the Cat on it...I bet you recall that day perfectly. Wasn't is outside L.A. at a trailer park under some tarporline?

That's why I'm so sure on "Paris Blues" 'cause I never found that many records in those days that went on to "matter".

Best, John

Social source share

Frankie,

I found Arin Demain in Pittsburgh around 1977 that replaced "Paris Blues" as my last record to my set. Then I think Nev Wherry bought it off me after I finished DJing 2 years later.

Being an old record-hound yourself Ian, you will remember,as all of us do, exactly when and where you found any significant record.

IE That huge Belgium "Dick Baker Combo" 45 you found on that label with the Cat on it...I bet you recall that day perfectly. Wasn't is outside L.A. at a trailer park under some tarporline?

That's why I'm so sure on "Paris Blues" 'cause I never found that many records in those days that went on to "matter".

Best, John

Social source share

Geoff you got so much knowledge in your head about that London scene in the 60s, you ever thought about writing about it? I find the fact that Jimmy Radcliffe was played as a new release in Tottenham on Thursday nights amazing! Perhaps I shouldn't find it amazing, but you should write an article or two about it all, it would be a fascinating read and serve as a more accurate reflection of what the scene was actually like "before northern was invented" than the garbage I read and hear regularly from talking heads that weren't even a twinkle in their father's eye in the mid 60s. :lol: GO FOR IT Kiddo! :g:

Completely agree Steve, it's great to hear about things that Geoff remembers, as in reality there seems to be very little documented about that time, to me its a really interesting time and would think there is a reasonable audience for something like that.

And sure if you throw in a couple of anti-establishment comments in each paragraph Dan might think of publishing it! :lol::ohmy:

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Frankie,

Best, John

You're right John - I always remember the good ones (first copy of Willie Hutch @ L.A. hippy Chris Peakes house in September '76 is one of 'em but Simon took it off me! "Baby boy you have just found a very, very rare record").

And "Heartless Lover" - the Dick Baker Combo on Kool Kat (a different one from Joe Mathews) was under a rain-sodden filthy tarpulin at the back of an East L.A. household goods market stall in East L.A. - a eureka moment 'cos I found that AFTER a Johnny Caswell, two Terrible Tom's and fifty Eloise Laws's!

Happy days.

Can't see MP3's becoming the new collectibles though, can you LOL......

Best,

Ian D

Social source share

After several rounds , Mr Manship is just ahead on points ........

Malc Burton

Oi Malc, I haven't finished yet!

I need to check with Levine just in case my brain IS drug-addled LOL.

And I blame you for the botox comments! I'll have you know that my amazingly robust looks are merely the result of good genes, getting laid regularly and a healthy interest in all the bad things in life LOL.

Ian D

Social source share

When were they played at the Twisted Wheel? Several of them were played in London Mod clubs at the time of issue, 64 onwards. As far as I remember Jimmy Radcliffe was the last record played at the Royal ballroom, Tottenham, on Thursday nights, reckoned to be the best night.

I adore the beat ballad style, so emotional. How about Prince Harold's Forget About Me? Hadn't heard that since 66 or 67 till a nice person did me a CD with it on.

Others that spring to mind as I type this are Lenny Welch's Run To My Loving Arms and Little Anthony & The Imperials' Lost Without You. Both covered by Billy Fury in the UK and were hits.

I've got a CD of Little Anthony made up of 2 of his LPs, Goin' Out Of My Head/Payin' Our Dues, got lots of beat ballads on it.

And funnily enough, just received the Dreamlovers' You Gave Me Somebody To Love this morning. Pure bliss.

Going to the triple birthday bash in Letchworth, and then Boomerang tomorrow, any DJs reading this please play a beat ballad or 2 for me please.

The history of the Twisted Wheel is quite well documented in a book.It operated roughly 62-70 from two central Manchester locations.Tony Clark for instance i have read was hammered at the time of its release on the PYE label at the Brazenose Street venue.The Wheel had a staunch Soul Music policy probobly very similar to the one featured at The Tottenham Royal on Thursday nights or any other hip joint like The Last Chance/Flamingo and would then have played mainly UK released product such as i mentioned.

Social source share

Oi Malc, I haven't finished yet!

I need to check with Levine just in case my brain IS drug-addled LOL.

And I blame you for the botox comments! I'll have you know that my amazingly robust looks are merely the result of good genes, getting laid regularly and a healthy interest in all the bad things in life LOL.

Ian D

Ian , you are an all - round adonis :g: ........

Will you please stop calling IL " The Rotund One " .....

We do not want him becoming paranoid again , do we ? .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Frankie,

Best, John

Thanks. I always thought it was a Nev Wherry sound - so I was wrong. One DJ out.

Still a class record all these years later.

:g:

Social source share

Botox!!!??? Cheeky bugger! There's nowt up with my memory!

Bernie Williams

I just spoke to Colin after you'd almost convinced me that my brain was completely addled and he confirmed that he was playing Bernie Williams in '74/'75 and that it was considered to be a one-off at the time. His copy came from John Anderson. It was a 'Mecca last-hour' favourite which is how I heard it in the first place.

He eventually sold his copy to Jack Bollington in Derby. Jack bought it off Colin and I ended up involved in a virtual phone-auction with Jack where the price jumped from £40 to circa £150 in the space of a few hours - my last offer on it was something like £100 and a World Column and Rosey Jones I seem to remember. I could swear that you got that copy but if you didn't then someone else did but who? It was a rare record at the time.......

Colin also confirmed that Levine DID have 'Paris Blues' at the Mecca but 'til I speak to the large one I'll hold fire.......

Incidentally, no one's 'dictating' anything here Johnny. My memory's actually bang-on most of the time and I spent a large part of my 'two decade disappearance' (almost three really) keeping tabs on the scene, visiting all-nighters every now and then and constantly flogging records to many people if I've had some decent finds whenever I went to the States.

If I'm wrong on the Tony Middleton then fair enough - credit where credit's due and you're welcome to the kudos mate. However, I do know that I heard it @ The Mecca, I know that Levine had it (Colin just confirmed it) and I know that I knew about it before I went to the States in mid 1976 because it was on my hitlist back then.

Will check with the rotund one and come back and I'll be quite prepared to eat humble pie in the unlkely event that my mind has been playing tricks LOL....... :g:

Best,

Ian D

Out of respect I have PM's you with my thoughts on this. As two old friends shouldn't argue, as we may end up together in the same old peoples home.

Social source share

The Tottenham Royal was a Mecca dance hall, similar to the Orchid, Purley and the Streatham Locarno. Played soul and R&B records, but also the hits of the day. Every time I hear Let's Go by the Routers I am back there.

Long After Tonight Is All Over was originally issued in 63, but my recollections of hearing it as the last record at the Royal was when I used to go there with Lesley in 66 and 67.

Current British releases were played in the clubs I attended, but some records must have been American imports as I remember hearing many tracks well before release here. And many that were not released here on 45 at the time.

As for writing about my experiences, well Little Reg's book is a good read, not sure if anything in my life is that interesting.

I do feel that the Mod scene has never really been documented as it was. I've got a couple of books about it, but they left me dissatisfied. Hard to explain what I mean. There was another one that I meant to get that took it right back years before, but I can't remember the title.

Dr Bob Jones has posted on the Mod scene in the past, are there any other old Mods on here? I remember Ady Croasdell mentioning that one of the Scene DJs attends the 100 Club sometimes. It would be interesting to talk to him or her, the playlists would be fascinating, or at least for me.

Social source share

Out of respect I have PM's you with my thoughts on this. As two old friends shouldn't argue, as we may end up together in the same old peoples home.

Oh boy! If only they could see the PM's! I can't believe that ????? ?????? claims they discovered ?????? ?????? in ????.

And does ?????? ?????? really do that with his 7" copy of ????????

And did ?????? ?????? really sell his copy of ???????? ???????? to ?????????? for £1.80?

The rich tapestry of Northern Soul my friend! Like Tony Turner on Musicor and Tamiko Jones on Golden World before it turned up!

Our lips are sealed LOL!

Johnny and I are doing some personal time-researching and sorting out the wheat from the chaff LOL.

However, in the interest of current UK libel laws, it'll be PM only on this subject from now on. Sorry to all, but these things can go on forever and degenarate into slanging matches if yer not careful LOL...

And, on the subject of botox or other youth-enhancing chemically injected products, would anyone care to make a bet with me at, say, 100-1 that my body's unadulterated by such gimmickry?

I'd be quite prepared to undergo a public test on Cleethorpes Pier if need be......

Best,

Ian D

Social source share

Oh boy! If only they could see the PM's! I can't believe that ????? ?????? claims they discovered ?????? ?????? in ????.

And did ?????? ?????? really sell his copy of ???????? ???????? to ?????????? for £1.80?

The rich tapestry of Northern Soul my friend! Like Tony Turner on Musicor and Tamiko Jones on Golden World before it turned up!

Our lips are sealed LOL!

Johnny and I are doing some personal time-researching and sorting out the wheat from the chaff LOL.

However, in the interest of current UK libel laws, it'll be PM only on this subject from now on. Sorry to all, but these things can go on forever and degenarate into slanging matches if yer not careful LOL...

And, on the subject of botox or other youth-enhancing chemically injected products, would anyone care to make a bet with me at, say, 100-1 that my body's unadulterated by such gimmickry?

I'd be quite prepared to undergo a public test on Cleethorpes Pier if need be......

Best,

Ian D

Looks like they both spat there dummys out boxing.gif:lol: ,

Social source share

Guest Brett F

ONE OF THE BEST BEAT BALLDS FOR ME IS BILLIE DEARBORN AND ...."DOWN"..AN ABSOLUTE TOUR DE FORCE OF FEMALE SINGING, IF THIS RECORD DOES'NT MOVE YOU THEN YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A SKA FAN.......AND NOT A TRUE SOUL LISTENER.........

Social source share

Dr Bob Jones has posted on the Mod scene in the past, are there any other old Mods on here? I remember Ady Croasdell mentioning that one of the Scene DJs attends the 100 Club sometimes. It would be interesting to talk to him or her, the playlists would be fascinating, or at least for me.

The Scene DJ is Brian Peters who may well be down there on Saturday, if you're ever in the same room together I'll introduce you.

Social source share

ONE OF THE BEST BEAT BALLDS FOR ME IS BILLIE DEARBORN AND ...."DOWN"..AN ABSOLUTE TOUR DE FORCE OF FEMALE SINGING, IF THIS RECORD DOES'NT MOVE YOU THEN YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A SKA FAN.......AND NOT A TRUE SOUL LISTENER.........

Fantastic record.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I hope I'm understanding this post correctly - we're looking for beat ballads and NOT mid-tempo....is that right??

For me, Smokey Robinson - 'Could you love a poor boy', Little Anthony's 'Reputation', Big Maybelle 'Oh Lord' and Maxine's 'Oh No not my baby' are all corking beat ballads. Whereas Barbara Mercer's 'Call on Me', Rose St John 'Fool Don't Laugh', Marv Johnson 'With All that's in me' and Tony Hestor's 'Just can't leave you' are tip top mid-tempo....have I grasped the right end of the stick? The Jerry Jackson 'It's rough outside' still tears me up and Freddy Scott 'Hey Girl' - what a tune.....I'm with Geoff on this - midtempo to beat ballads are my favourite genre of soul. Jo

PS. Could anyone post a clip of Junior Lewis 'The Man Who Has Everything'....ta

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

I hope I'm understanding this post correctly - we're looking for beat ballads and NOT mid-tempo....is that right??

For me, Smokey Robinson - 'Could you love a poor boy', Little Anthony's 'Reputation', Big Maybelle 'Oh Lord' and Maxine's 'Oh No not my baby' are all corking beat ballads. Whereas Barbara Mercer's 'Call on Me', Rose St John 'Fool Don't Laugh', Marv Johnson 'With All that's in me' and Tony Hestor's 'Just can't leave you' are tip top mid-tempo....have I grasped the right end of the stick? The Jerry Jackson 'It's rough outside' still tears me up and Freddy Scott 'Hey Girl' - what a tune.....I'm with Geoff on this - midtempo to beat ballads are my favourite genre of soul. Jo

PS. Could anyone post a clip of Junior Lewis 'The Man Who Has Everything'....ta

I think the theme is ballads you can dance to as opposed to ballads like Big Maybelle. Some of them may well be mid tempo but they must have that ballad feel. It's a hard one to lay down rules for, not that we particularly need them; any suggestions though? I always associate these with that big NYC early 60s sound, LA did plenty too but not so many out of Detroit or Chicago or even Philly.

Social source share

Our lips are sealed LOL!

Best,

Ian D

Botox?? who mentioned Botox, surely I meant Buttox.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Stafford Stuff

Donald Jenkins Somebody Help Me CORTLAND

Romance Watson Where Does That Leave Me CORAL

Sam Fletcher I'd Think It Over TOLLIE

Bobby Hutton Come See What's Left Of Me PHILIPS

Bobby Smith Walk On Into My Heart AMERICAN ARTS

Four Tracks Like My Love For You MANDINGO

Stewart Ames King For A Day J & W

Gail Anderson Be Proud ( You're In Love ) SALVADOR

Little Anthony Its Not The Same VEEP

Scotty Williams Fear MONA LEE

Shirley Edwards Dream My Heart SHRINE

Wade Flemons That Other Place VEE-JAY

Clyde Mcphatter Lonely People AMY

Social source share

The Scene DJ is Brian Peters who may well be down there on Saturday, if you're ever in the same room together I'll introduce you.

Cheers Ady, I'd like that. The only people I'm in touch with who went to these clubs are my close friends. And none of them have kept on being such an obsessive soul fan as I am.

Won't be at the 100 tonight as am off to Thorne very soon.

But will try to get down there soon. My worry is that a proper all nighter might leave me dead for the whole of week. Powers of recovery wane with age, lol.

Not sure really if there is a proper definition to a beat ballad, usually just know it when I hear it.

Personally I can glide round the floor to slowies like How Big Is Big but too slow for some people. Classic beat ballads for me would include The Panic Is On, The Drifter, Lonely People Can't Afford To Cry, I Never Loved Her Anyway.

Would anyone regard the Volumes' The Same Old Feeling as a beat ballad? I thought it was, but someone disagreed.

Doesn't really matter, for me the whole genre is marvellous. Just hits you in your heart.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I think the theme is ballads you can dance to as opposed to ballads like Big Maybelle. Some of them may well be mid tempo but they must have that ballad feel. It's a hard one to lay down rules for

NOW I know where you're coming from :lol: I love it when things get this knitpicking.....it brings out the best track suggestions to try and hit the spot :D I've just sold the Stewart Ames....it's gone to a member of the Beat Ballad Appreciation Society (honest!) Jo

Social source share

Our lips are sealed LOL!

I'd be quite prepared to undergo a public test on Cleethorpes Pier if need be...... Best,

Ian D

As opposed to the ones you used to do under it ? :D .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the fabulous George Smith - "I've had it" (Turntable) or Kenny Shepard - "What difference does it make" (Maxx). Vocally just superb, two of the finest Beat Ballads in my opinion :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

But who will discover the old peoples home first? :thumbsup: just kidding smile.gif

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

How about

Hal Miller A Blessing in disguise Amy

Rays featuring Hal Miller Love another girl Amy

Kenny Gamble You dont know what youve got untill you lose it Columbia

Art Robins I cant stand to see you cry Vando beats Jerry Butler at his own game

Don and Juan The Heartbreaking Truth Mala

Don and Juan All thats missing is you Mala

George Freeman Down and out Valiant

Audrey Freeman Three rooms Musicor

H B Barnum Three rooms with running water Imperial

Dee Clark In my apartment Constellation

Kenny Lynch Movin Away uk HMV Check out Ken Booths Rocksteady version its a killa

Terri Thornton Either way i lose Columbia great version of the pips with glockenspiels

Brooks odell Watch your step Bell

Tony Colton I stand Accused Uk Pye or ABC

Marion Stewart I must be losing you R

Deena Johnson The breaking point Wild Deuce

Brad Lundy The breaking point Julmar

Gwen Stacey Aint gonna cry no more RCA

Little Anthony and the Imperials You only live twice Veep

The Furys The man who has everything mack iv

Doug Banks Baby since you went away Argo

Marie Knight A little too Lonely Musicor

Jimmy Gilford Nobody loves me like my baby Thelma

Gino Washington Puppet on a string Ric Tic

Jimmy Gilford Heartbreaker Revilot

Four Tops Ask the Lonely/Where Were you Tamla

Teddy Randazzo You dont need a heart DCP

Gayle Harris Im never gonna let you down DCP

Bunny Sigler For crying out loud Decca

J.B Love Then only then Kapp

Everything by Walter Jackson the king of the Ballads

And my all time favourite

Jerry Jackson Wide Awake in dream Kapp

Al H in Beat Balled Heaven :huh:

Edited by CapitolSC
Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Shouldn't that be Dee Clark Alan? If so t'other side good as well.

Im still not recovered from last night Chalky

yes its Dee Clark not bloody ted taylor lol

cheers mate :huh:

Social source share

That's a great selection there Al, don't know all of them, would love a CD, lol.

Seriously though, so many good ones, I'm playing my CD of Beat Ballad Bliss as I type this, Jerry Fuller's Turn To Me has just started, wonderful. Is there a volume 2 of this, and if so what is on it? I've got Beat Ballad Heaven on Goldmine, but otherwise the only other CD is one from a friend. Are there any other legit ones around?

Don't want to repeat what's been said about beat ballads, but is it mainly a man thing? Usually it is blokes gliding around to them, or that is my experience. No offence to Jo and any other ladies into them big time. My wife used to like them, but never to the extent I did. I remember raving over the Masqueraders' How Big Is Big, and she just said it's okay. But our tastes did vary.

Just played Lenny Welch's I'm Over You. Soul heaven.

Social source share

That's a great selection there Al, don't know all of them, would love a CD, lol.

Seriously though, so many good ones, I'm playing my CD of Beat Ballad Bliss as I type this, Jerry Fuller's Turn To Me has just started, wonderful. Is there a volume 2 of this, and if so what is on it? I've got Beat Ballad Heaven on Goldmine, but otherwise the only other CD is one from a friend. Are there any other legit ones around?

Don't want to repeat what's been said about beat ballads, but is it mainly a man thing? Usually it is blokes gliding around to them, or that is my experience. No offence to Jo and any other ladies into them big time. My wife used to like them, but never to the extent I did. I remember raving over the Masqueraders' How Big Is Big, and she just said it's okay. But our tastes did vary.

Just played Lenny Welch's I'm Over You. Soul heaven.

There Is A Vol 2, but it's not a patch on 1 (for me)

Also there is (by the same people) Beat Ballad Salad, Tracklisting is

Clydie King - Only the Guilty Cry

Charlie 'Chuck' Welch - Destination Heart Ache

Marv Johnson - The Man Who Don't Believe in Love

Jaye Kennedy - I'm Feeling it Too

Buddy Lamp - Promised Land

Dee Dee Warwick - Don't Think My Baby's Coming Back

Lenny Welch - I'm Over You

Tony Williams - Second Best

Jerry Jackson - I'm Gonna Paint a Picture

Chuck Wright - The Palm of Your Hand

June Adams - The Human Race

Gee Gee & the Upnilons - You Don't Have To

Robby Taylor - A Stop Along the Way

Ed Townsend - I Might Like It

Tony Troy - Don't Look Back

H. B. Barnum - Three Rooms with Running Water

Della Reese - A Clock That's Got No Hands

Sidney Barnes - Wait

Otis Blackwell - Kiss Away

Gil Bernal - To Make a Big Man Cry

The Casuals - If You Don't

Charles Hodges - I'll Never Go to a Party

Vic Henderson - Stand By and Cry

Tommy Hunt - Hold On

Social source share

There Is A Vol 2, but it's not a patch on 1 (for me)

Also there is (by the same people) Beat Ballad Salad, Tracklisting is

Clydie King - Only the Guilty Cry

Charlie 'Chuck' Welch - Destination Heart Ache

Marv Johnson - The Man Who Don't Believe in Love

Jaye Kennedy - I'm Feeling it Too

Buddy Lamp - Promised Land

Dee Dee Warwick - Don't Think My Baby's Coming Back

Lenny Welch - I'm Over You

Tony Williams - Second Best

Jerry Jackson - I'm Gonna Paint a Picture

Chuck Wright - The Palm of Your Hand

June Adams - The Human Race

Gee Gee & the Upnilons - You Don't Have To

Robby Taylor - A Stop Along the Way

Ed Townsend - I Might Like It

Tony Troy - Don't Look Back

H. B. Barnum - Three Rooms with Running Water

Della Reese - A Clock That's Got No Hands

Sidney Barnes - Wait

Otis Blackwell - Kiss Away

Gil Bernal - To Make a Big Man Cry

The Casuals - If You Don't

Charles Hodges - I'll Never Go to a Party

Vic Henderson - Stand By and Cry

Tommy Hunt - Hold On

Thanks for that, quite a few there that I don't know. I will look out for it.

Social source share

It works fine Nickbut you may get in trouble from the mods 'cos its not a refosoul clip ?

Thanks for that 'tho nice version
:thumbsup:
Any info about the label, availability, price or anything else ?

Cheers Paul

It's on Modern, flip of "Baby take me back", a Stafford sound. I recently paid £50 for a demo, seemed about the right price. It's also on a Kent CD, "Serious shades of soul".

As a novice at putting soundfiles on the Forum, I could do with knowing the rules and etiquettes, and about Refosoul - can you advise?

Cheers

Nick

PS I'm away all week so no rush!

Social source share

It's on Modern, flip of "Baby take me back", a Stafford sound. I recently paid £50 for a demo, seemed about the right price. It's also on a Kent CD, "Serious shades of soul".

As a novice at putting soundfiles on the Forum, I could do with knowing the rules and etiquettes, and about Refosoul - can you advise?

Cheers

Nick

PS I'm away all week so no rush!

Thanks for the info Nick
:thumbsup:

All the info you need 'bout putting up sound clips I think can be found in the "site and tech" section

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

Mmmm!!! what is a true soul fan? does he eat soul food :thumbsup:

Social source share

I dont know if anyone has mentioned my old venue "Bretby country club" but the night was built around midtempo sounds. In fact it turned your head when you heard something a bit faster! We lasted 4 and a half years before i got bored...

At the time (1991) it was very rare to hear beat ballads at any soul nights and sounds like George Smith, Kenny Shepard, George Freeman, Kell Osbourne, Jimmey soul Clark etc were almost unknown to the vast majority of soul-night-goers......at Bretby they became big records..

I would never claim to have discovered all the records played at Bretby...Steve Smith was a major part of the success...but between us, Steve and i sure reactivated a whole lot of great semi-known quality soul music.....

I remember when i first became mates with Shifty, probably around 1994, he looked thru my box and exclaimed...."Fack me...you have got a box full of enders"!!!

Chris.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert