Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

i have a promo of james fountain seven day lover on u.k cream

post-410-1200434433_thumb.jpg

post-410-1200434481_thumb.jpg

so thats the demo, so what is this?

post-410-1200434540_thumb.jpg

it looks like its the b.side reprinted over, anyone seen one of these or know what it is? end of run,no more a side labels left? :P

That, my friend, is my OLD copy.

Absolutely POSITIVE.

WTF did you get it???

Rob Smith's? ( I sold him 5,000 records mid 80's and that was probably in there).

It had the label on the wrong side and I 'Letrasetted' over it... way back when so I didn't play the wrong side... (course this was back in the days when nobody cared if you played Re-Issues)! :D

A genuine rarity if you ask me.

Wanna sell it?

Sean

Social source share

That, my friend, is my OLD copy.

Absolutely POSITIVE.

WTF did you get it???

Rob Smith's? ( I sold him 5,000 records mid 80's and that was probably in there).

It had the label on the wrong side and I 'Letrasetted' over it... way back when so I didn't play the wrong side... (course this was back in the days when nobody cared if you played Re-Issues)! :D

A genuine rarity if you ask me.

Wanna sell it?

Sean

boy you have a steady hand ive looked at this many times and thought 'letraset' and always thought its just too neat must have took you ages a john bull printing set would have been far quicker :D

are you serious about wanting it back?

looks like we are going to have to form a new site records reunited :thumbsup:

i think this came from steve jefferies,he wasnt selling it as a demo or anything, it was sold as a wtf is this

Social source share

boy you have a steady hand ive looked at this many times and thought 'letraset' and always thought its just too neat must have took you ages a john bull printing set would have been far quicker :D

are you serious about wanting it back?

looks like we are going to have to form a new site records reunited :thumbsup:

i think this came from steve jefferies,he wasnt selling it as a demo or anything, it was sold as a wtf is this

Amazing coincidence. Was just wrapping up at the office when I thought I'd take a quick look at SS. Your post was brand new and I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

Yep, I 'had' a steady hand back then, but it was nearly 30 years ago. A lot of liquor flowed under the bridge since then! (Don't think I could manage it now!).

Yes, I'll take it off your hands (for the right price) just for old times sake, if you're interested.

Social source share

Amazing coincidence. Was just wrapping up at the office when I thought I'd take a quick look at SS. Your post was brand new and I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

Yep, I 'had' a steady hand back then, but it was nearly 30 years ago. A lot of liquor flowed under the bridge since then! (Don't think I could manage it now!).

Yes, I'll take it off your hands (for the right price) just for old times sake, if you're interested.

Letraset Eh. I want another look at that Robby Lawson Sean :thumbsup:

Social source share

Sean I've had that copy as well. But I don't remember the letraset on the other side so I think it's fair to say that there must be several copies with that little A stamp on the Seven Day Lover side.

pete thats two different records i put the first one there to show the second wasnt a demo [but still didnt know what it was]

Social source share

Sean I've had that copy as well. But I don't remember the letraset on the other side so I think it's fair to say that there must be several copies with that little A stamp on the Seven Day Lover side.

Hi Pete,

That looks as near to a DEMO as I've ever seen of the record. Especially with the release sheet.

Must admit, I've never seen it before.

My old copy had the MALNUTRITION label on both sides. It was that one that I letrassetted over.

Love the idea of 'Records Reunited'.

About 10 years ago (1998) I bought a copy of Doris Willingham on US JayBoy from Andy Whitmore, that I'd owned from 1972 until the mid 80's. Couldn't resist buying it back again.

Now I'm negotiating to get my "SEVEN DAY MALNUTRITION" (no, not the Jane Fonda video) copy back!

:lol:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Hi Pete,

That looks as near to a DEMO as I've ever seen of the record. Especially with the release sheet.

Must admit, I've never seen it before.

My old copy had the MALNUTRITION label on both sides. It was that one that I letrassetted over.

Love the idea of 'Records Reunited'.

Abought 10 years ago (1998) I bought a copy of Doris Willingham on US JayBoy from Andy Whitmore, that I'd owned from 1972 until the mid 80's. Couldn't resist buying it back again.

Now I'm negotiating to get my "SEVEN DAY MALNUTRITION" (no, not the Jane Fonda video) copy back!

:lol:

Sean

I`m up for some record reuniting,right whos got me "aint that right" issue do the right thing and return it for what i sold you it for. :lol:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Thought this was the first British release of this choon ...... what was it issued on first in the uk to make this a re issue ?

You're right, the Cream release was the first British Release, but as the Peachtree label issue is the first issue of any kind, some might call this a Reissue... though a 'second issue' might have been a better description.

Do you think it would meet the OVO criteria?

Social source share

You're right, the Cream release was the first British Release, but as the Peachtree label issue is the first issue of any kind, some might call this a Reissue... though a 'second issue' might have been a better description.

Do you think it would meet the OVO criteria?

Clutching at straws - I;d have called it a reissue as well

Social source share

Clutching at straws - I;d have called it a reissue as well

clutching at straws???? i think not .... this is an original uk 1st issue ......just because it's not a high price british issue don't make it a reissue !

so would you call jimmy robins on uk president a 2nd issue ? the us copy would never be on JM's auction but the british copy has been ...... also is the stateside british issue of rufus lumlet i'm standing a 2nd issue ?......... Chuck Jackson hand it over on british pye international?... i have had many dj's make a positive comment when i have had this on the decks instead of the us wand copy .....the list go's on and on......... there are many british issues i would love to have in my box rather than the us copy... even if the us copy was pressed a few years B 4 the british one..... and i'm sure JM would also get a big thrill of having some hard to find British issue's in his hands.

this could make a great thread on it's own ...... draw your weapons!!!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by CAMBRIDGE SOUL
Social source share

clutching at straws???? i think not .... this is an original uk 1st issue ......just because it's not a high price british issue don't make it a reissue !

so would you call jimmy robins on uk president a 2nd issue ? the us copy would never be on JM's auction but the british copy has been ...... also is the stateside british issue of rufus lumlet i'm standing a 2nd issue ?......... Chuck Jackson hand it over on british pye international?... i have had many dj's make a positive comment when i have had this on the decks instead of the us wand copy .....the list go's on and on......... there are many british issues i would love to have in my box rather than the us copy... even if the us copy was pressed a few years B 4 the british one..... and i'm sure JM would also get a big thrill of having some hard to find British issue's in his hands.

this could make a great thread on it's own ...... draw your weapons!!!!! :thumbsup:

Well said mate.

Social source share

And think about this one.

When a record is simultaneuosly released in Canada as well as the USA, is that one in Canada also a 're-issue'?

How can it be a re-issue if it got released just over the border at exactly the same time, or within a week or two.

These American Import, must have the so-called 'original release' elitists get right up my snozzer.

Edited by denbo
Social source share

The difference between this and Rufus Lumley is that this was issued solely due to Northern demand but Lumley was a new release at the time. Jimmy Robbins came out in the 60's, not in the 70's due to Northern demand.

Social source share

:thumbsup: means what?

Means I had to laugh at the vociferous cry of

'ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS'

Promptly followed by the more subdued

'Just my opinion, of course'

Made me laugh, that's all.

I reckon it's a toughie... and might well be a good subject for a seperate thread.

Dave Pinches statement was 'anything only issued because of the northern/ modern scene'.

C'mon guys, the industry has always called such items 're-issues'... but I also qualified that days ago when I wrote 'some might call this a Reissue... though a 'second issue' might have been a better description'.

Obviously, I'm well aware that the CREAM copy was the first British issue. Some of the examples cited though (Rufus Lumley, Chuck Jackson etc.) were released almost simultaneously with the original US issues, whereas the James Fountain, many years later, due to Northern demand.

I asked the question earlier... would it meet the 'elitist' OVO criteria?

Social source share

The difference between this and Rufus Lumley is that this was issued solely due to Northern demand but Lumley was a new release at the time. Jimmy Robbins came out in the 60's, not in the 70's due to Northern demand.

Don't matter what the reason is for the first time release here in the UK, it's STILL a first time release here in the UK.

As for Lumley being a new release at the time, well no it wasn't, it was released in the USA first, isn't that the argument? So, it too was a reissue / re-release, according to some.

Don't matter about demand, if it's the first time it's been released here in the UK, then it's not a reissue / re-release. I can't see how you can argue with that?

Now, to give you a better example, the Jay Boy release of the original London release here in the UK of 'Talk Of The Grapevine' by Donald Height, now THAT's a reissue / re-release, or would you say that the Jay Boy release is a re-reissue / re-re-release?

Anybody?

Social source share

so its the time difference and the demand ..... and also the decade ! :lol::shhh::lol::lol: maybe even what shop you got it from ?

Rufus Lumley was issued on a demo six months after the release in the us .... and because of demand it the went on general release who made the demand???? northern soul collectors ! .... northern was once about new releases i think :thumbsup: ..... i would have loved to be at the torch and many other places like it when 60%, 70% 80%??? of the music played was new to your ears ! ... at the end of the day a first issue british relase is just that and not a seconed issue IMHO :ohmy: ... HERE WE GO HOLD ON FOR A FAST RIDE ! :lol::D

Social source share

Means I had to laugh at the vociferous cry of

'ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS'

Promptly followed by the more subdued

Made me laugh, that's all.

I reckon it's a toughie... and might well be a good subject for a seperate thread.

Dave Pinches statement was 'anything only issued because of the northern/ modern scene'.

C'mon guys, the industry has always called such items 're-issues'... but I also qualified that days ago when I wrote 'some might call this a Reissue... though a 'second issue' might have been a better description'.

Obviously, I'm well aware that the CREAM copy was the first British issue. Some of the examples cited though (Rufus Lumley, Chuck Jackson etc.) were released almost simultaneously with the original US issues, whereas the James Fountain, many years later, due to Northern demand.

Wasn't subdued at all but absolutely sarcastic. :thumbsup:

Social source share

so its the time difference and the demand ..... and also the decade ! :lol::shhh::lol::lol: maybe even what shop you got it from ?

Rufus Lumley was issued on a demo six months after the release in the us .... and because of demand it the went on general release who made the demand???? northern soul collectors ! .... northern was once about new releases i think :thumbsup: ..... i would have loved to be at the torch and many other places like it when 60%, 70% 80%??? of the music played was new to your ears ! ... at the end of the day a first issue british relase is just that and not a seconed issue IMHO :ohmy: ... HERE WE GO HOLD ON FOR A FAST RIDE ! :lol::D

Way to go man, totally agree.

Social source share

Rufus Lumley was issued on a demo six months after the release in the us .... and because of demand it the went on general release who made the demand???? northern soul collectors !

No it wasn't, where did you get that uninformed rubbish from? It had a release date scheduled and advance copoies weresent out to reviewers, tv stations etc. That's what a demo is. They didn't do the demo to test demand. Ifthey did, why have many of the EMI labels demos got release dates printed on them?

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

but IMHO the elitists change there views depending on if they are selling the 45 , buying the 45 or if they have it in there box ????

And on what label happens to be considered the rarest, US or UK.

Social source share

NO!!!!

If it's the first time it's been released here in the UK, then it's an original first time release, here in the UK.

Can't dispute that it's the first British issue, but at the end of the day, it's a reissue of a record that was originally released in the US.

So the US release is the original, and the UK release is a reissue.

Social source share

But you're right, it IS a toughie and I don't think each group is ever going to have it's mind changed.

Would be difficult to change my mind on this... since I've never made up my mind in the first place.

I'm happy to concede that its not strictly speaking a re-issue (and thought I already had done).... as there was no first issue on UK Cream that came before this one.

However, if the Peachtree issue is the 'Original' issue then although the Cream copy is the first UK issue then it can't also be an 'Original' issue.... that's got to be pretty obvious.

So... would it meet the 'elitist' OVO criteria?

Probably not.... but it wouldn't stop me playing it because I don't have one on Peachtree... and because I collect Soul on UK labels regardless of when they were issued!

:thumbsup:

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Can't dispute that it's the first British issue, but at the end of the day, it's a reissue of a record that was originally released in the US.

Hi Dave,

Hope you're feeling better?

We don't really KNOW each other but I respect your reputation.

However . . . . . .

I can't agree with you here Dave. How can a record that gets released after the US release, but for the first time in any given country, like say Canada, UK, Australia, etc, be classed as a RE-RELEASE?

Look at the word Dave . . . . RE-RELEASE . . . . . how can you justify the word used for a record that was released in a different country of origin, a RE-RELEASE?

Sorry mate, but you're wrong.

Social source share

Hi Dave,

However . . . . . .

I can't agree with you here Dave. How can a record that gets released after the US release, but for the first time in any given country, like say Canada, UK, Australia, etc, be classed as a RE-RELEASE?

Look at the word Dave . . . . RE-RELEASE . . . . . how can you justify the word used for a record that was released in a different country of origin, a RE-RELEASE?

I kind of agree with you (Dennis) but it was still only released due to Northern demand as were The Velvets, Jerry Williams, Harold Melvin get Out etc. So thats why they get referred to as reissues.

Social source share

WHAT?????? IF IT'S RELEASED IN THE US THEN IN THE Uk, THE UK ONE IS A SECOND ISSUE ...... WHAT A LOAD OF DOGGIE DODO ! :thumbsup:

So if a 45 is released in the uk but was not released in the us ...... is this 45 then classed as second rate as they did not think it worthy of a US release ????? ...... for example on Tamla Gladys Knight and the pips .. no one can love you more or Martha Reeves no one there ??????

Keep taking the pills Dave , as posts like yours make me laugh so much I almost pee myself and that's better than being a grump ! ... also I'm told its good for the skin !!! :ohmy::lol::shhh:

Edited by CAMBRIDGE SOUL
Social source share

I kind of agree with you (Dennis) but it was still only released due to Northern demand as were The Velvets, Jerry Williams, Harold Melvin get Out etc. So thats why they get referred to as reissues.

In that case, they should be classed as British releases of in-demand US releases , NOT reisssues / re-releases.

Again, look at the word, if it's never been released here in the UK, how can it be classed as a reissue / re-release when it eventually does get released?

There can be no argument in my mind, no matter how much people try to change it.

Black is Black. White is white. End of story.

Social source share

Hi Dave,

However . . . . . .

Except if you had read my post you'll find I never used the word RE-RELEASE. So looking at the word doesn't help much because I didn't use it. You did.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert