Credit Crunch/record Crunch When Will It End

Guest moggy

Did he use to have a tuxedo type Jacket on,if its the same fella he was a dustman in nottm,got the shock of his life when he saw me once when he was emtying the bins,think he liked to make out he was a bit more than a dustman shhh.gif

Bazza

When I do eventually shuffle off this mortal coil , I know full well that Lady B will GIVE AWAY my collection ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

• Replies 61
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

If anyone seriously collects soul 45s as an investment/nest egg/pension, then they need their head examining. It's a hobby, and an expensive one, serviced by a few people who make a living from buying & selling. If everyone starts selling to "cash-in", then it will be bargain basement time IMHO.

Spot on!...

My other 'hobby' is MG's (Cars), a mint concourse 60's example of a roadster may be worth anything up to £10K ie 10 times is original value..... trouble is it cost £15K to restore it to concourse!..

This 'crash' should it come about all happened before in the early 90's when people bought 'collectables' as an investment during the Yuppie exesses of the 80's and thus when it all went tits-up they got there fingers (and wallets) burnt..

Buy it cos' you like it, not to make money!..

Social source share

Does anyone remember a bloke who used to always stand at the back of the main room at Wigan, just in front of the doors but back from the dancefloor, dressed completely differently to everyone else and obviously older, but most memorable feature was that he always used to be smoking a pipe! I didn't imagine this, someone else must have seen him as he was there a lot.

:lol: Poor old Pete, the years are taking there toll I am afraid :lol:

Pipe Smokers at Wigan, Whatever next

thumbup.gif

Social source share

Know a couple of rockabilly collectors that got out bout 5 years ago and made a nice profit,generally its a passion thing and where your heart lies,most collectors duck and dive ,surely that is part of the fun!This country is really inundated with older collectors but go to the US and Europe and the trend is slightly younger.Austin record fair last year loads of US younger collectors buying alot of the soulful latino stuff etc,my point being we all cannot presume that in 5-10 perhaps twenty years time their will be a market for the rarer northern stuff![dealers may disagree but their will admit that trends on the northern scene are more fickle than any other scene!

Another really iteresting point is supply and demand ,now on the northern scene that is shaped by the bigger djs etc breaking records and other factors such as word of mouth,the emphasis on rarity ,exclusivity etc,how good the record is,certain records for certain venues etc,in 20 years time alot of us will be nearing 65-70 so will any of us be getting to all nighters [highly inlikely],so it may be the case that within the next 5-10 years alot of people do jump ship to try and redeem their value?

Ican only speak for myself and use my suBjective experience and i would say that my collection is my pride and joy and after selling a bulk in 97 to pay for law school [yes this big thick lump is educated lol]i would not go down that road again!

HOW DO YOU VALUE A LIFELONG OBSSESSION AND WAY OF LIFE?

BAZ A

Social source share

when you stand back and look at how much the scene has changed over the last 3 years or so,I would be scared to death, if I considerd my collection to be worth 50 - 100 grand,another couple of years .....I dont know, thing is a lot of the faces are just not there anymore, loads of handbaggers but the people you used to see on a regular basis where are they ?

:) Bazza

Funny that bazza "Steve L and me use to say that in the mid eighties" when the scene was dead in some peoples eyes :D , but people seem to resurface time and time again...Some of you might be ready for the knackers yard,but has we all know the northern scene will go on and on!.Try telling a collector to sell his treasured tunes tomorrow i know what the answer will be... f55k off... :P

Social source share

Funny that bazza "Steve L and me use to say that in the mid eighties" when the scene was dead in some peoples eyes :) , but people seem to resurface time and time again...Some of you might be ready for the knackers yard,but has we all know the northern scene will go on and on!.Try telling a collector to sell his treasured tunes tomorrow i know what the answer will be... f55k off... :D

Ay, dont be cheeky tongue.gif got a couple of years left in me old bones yet :P

Bazza

Social source share

I'm pretty sure there is a particularly well dressed binman who is a regular contributor on here Bazza :P

The chap im thinking of always had a white tuxedo on,always looked immaculate, recone he must be 60+ now, never new his name

Bazza

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert