Advice Please

Bitchdj

i sold a few bits and pieces on ebay recently and all but one of them arrived safely...now heres my problem ...on the actual selling details i clearly state my postage policies...it read standard first class post....and that i will not be held for postal mishandling unless they choose to insure.......anyway i have been communicating the with the guy he may well be a member on here for all i know...i have been checking as i send all my ebay stuff out recorded therefore i can track the items and stop cheating buggers who claim not to have recieved items.....in my many mails to him i have told him the tracking number so he can check also.......

he has now opened a paypal dispute he thinks i should refund him because i chose to send it recorded delivery even tho he chose and paid as standard first class....

am i being unfair by sticking to the policies laid out clearly???

is gettin on me nerves now as i cant even claim it as a lost item until the 18th jan..

any helpful advice chaps n chapesses??

cookie wicked.gif

Social source share

• Replies 37
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

what difference does the postage make? you paid extra out of your own pocket I take it so it doesn't affect him.

Just tell ebay what you said on here and get in touch with post office. Is he a UK buyer?

He could be trying it on, received the record and said he hasn't and gets a refund, wins both ways while you lose out twice.

Social source share

OVER XMAS I SOLD A DISC TO A SOUL SOURCER RECORDED,THE DISC WENT ASTRAY,SO I USED THE TRACKING SYSTEM,HE DID NOT RECIEVE THE DISC,I REFUNDED HIM AND PUT A CLAIM IN WITH THE POST OFFICE ,YOU CAN CLAIM UP TO £34 QUID.I KEEP ON CHECKING BUT TEND TO TRUST PEOPLE,ALTHOUGH DOING THAT AS A SELLER IS DIFFICULT.

BAZ A

Social source share

OVER XMAS I SOLD A DISC TO A SOUL SOURCER RECORDED,THE DISC WENT ASTRAY,SO I USED THE TRACKING SYSTEM,HE DID NOT RECIEVE THE DISC,I REFUNDED HIM AND PUT A CLAIM IN WITH THE POST OFFICE ,YOU CAN CLAIM UP TO £34 QUID.I KEEP ON CHECKING BUT TEND TO TRUST PEOPLE,ALTHOUGH DOING THAT AS A SELLER IS DIFFICULT.

BAZ A

Hi Baz! Did the Summits come through ok?

John

Social source share

What's coming up when you check the tracking number?

it shows as not being delivered and i rang them and got told until the 18th jan its not officially lost...BUT because i choose to send rec del the guy thinks i shud refund him even tho he did not pay for insurance......surely paypal and ebay will look at my postal policies and uphold my case??? or i will be well out of pocket

cookie :(

Social source share

it shows as not being delivered and i rang them and got told until the 18th jan its not officially lost...BUT because i choose to send rec del the guy thinks i shud refund him even tho he did not pay for insurance......surely paypal and ebay will look at my postal policies and uphold my case??? or i will be well out of pocket

tell the tw*t to f*ck off regarding postage, makes no difference to him how it's sent, it's extra out of your pocket. Tell ebay and him that you will do nothing until it is officially lost by the post office (18th). Ebay and paypal should back you as you've done as described on sale, well done extra really by sending recorded at your own expense.

It might be the xmas and new year period that's holding it up, had a couple myself delayed.

Social source share

So because you took steps to make sure his item arrived safely, YOU are to blame? If you'd done it his way, he wouldn't even see any of the £32 you can claim and because he didn't follow your policies anyway, he hasn't got a leg to stand on. I'd tell him to do one, it was his choice not to have the item insured.

Social source share

cookie :boxing:

You DID send it first class!! - only difference is you have paid extra, at your own discretion, to obtain a signature from whoever accepts the item. Tell your purchaser to sling his hook!!

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Hiya

Pay Pal will find in the buyers favour even though you sent it recorded delivery and have a tracking number. When paid with pay pal you have to provide proof of delivery, not proof you sent the item, it stinks. You may get lucky and get the parcel returned, usually parcels go to a hub in Northern Ireland that can't be delivered for various reasons, and are then returned to sender. It takes about 3 weeks to get your parcel returned. On the other hand, it could be a lazy postman who's ripped the recorded delivery sticker off the package and just popped it through the door without getting a signature. Freebie for the buyer if he knows how pay pal works.

Good news is, you'll get a refund from Royal Mail. Keep your buyer sweet, sometimes Royal Mail send out a form to the buyer to get confirmation of what you say in your claim is correct. If the buyer doesn't send the form back in 5 days, your claim gets thrown out and you get diddly squat in the way of a refund from Royal Mail.

Pay Pal stinks!!

Social source share

Hiya

Pay Pal will find in the buyers favour even though you sent it recorded delivery and have a tracking number. When paid with pay pal you have to provide proof of delivery, not proof you sent the item, it stinks. You may get lucky and get the parcel returned, usually parcels go to a hub in Northern Ireland that can't be delivered for various reasons, and are then returned to sender. It takes about 3 weeks to get your parcel returned. On the other hand, it could be a lazy postman who's ripped the recorded delivery sticker off the package and just popped it through the door without getting a signature. Freebie for the buyer if he knows how pay pal works.

Good news is, you'll get a refund from Royal Mail. Keep your buyer sweet, sometimes Royal Mail send out a form to the buyer to get confirmation of what you say in your claim is correct. If the buyer doesn't send the form back in 5 days, your claim gets thrown out and you get diddly squat in the way of a refund from Royal Mail.

Pay Pal stinks!!

I can't believe all this.......I have just won an item off ebay, where the seller refuses to accept paypal because of this very situation.......Bloody hell, I wish I had known how to claim from paypal. I've been done a few times by sellers stateside who refuse to refund me on records that have been vastly over graded by them.......What's the point of having good feedback if it counts for nothing.......With all the millions that ebay are making, they should set up a special parcel service for it's customers.

Social source share

i sold a few bits and pieces on ebay recently and all but one of them arrived safely...now heres my problem ...on the actual selling details i clearly state my postage policies...it read standard first class post....and that i will not be held for postal mishandling unless they choose to insure.......anyway i have been communicating the with the guy he may well be a member on here for all i know...i have been checking as i send all my ebay stuff out recorded therefore i can track the items and stop cheating buggers who claim not to have recieved items.....in my many mails to him i have told him the tracking number so he can check also.......

he has now opened a paypal dispute he thinks i should refund him because i chose to send it recorded delivery even tho he chose and paid as standard first class....

is gettin on me nerves now as i cant even claim it as a lost item until the 18th jan..

I Lost a DEE DEE SHARP - DEEP DARK SECRET about 4 years ago (when it was still a good tune) in the post. The Seller had sent it to me (No Mistake!) and it just never arrived!

Tough shit! If you state its not sent insured then its the buyers look out not yours!

The guy I was dealing with at the time IS THE BEST USA dealer (im sure you have all looked at his site), and he said he would meet me half way (he didnt even have to by rights)

But fair play..... he sent me 2 =45s to half the value of Dee Dee which I ended up being better off with than "Overplayed Secret" anyway! laugh.gif

the point is.........................they (the buyer) pay (or dont pay)the Insurance.............anything you do after that is down to you and your concience!

Depending on which credit card / etc the buyer is using will determine if the buyer will get credited with the loss ..... either way, as long as you have clearly stated your terms of sale......that is not your problem.....................................

So without doing my homework and not having lost a parcel before (in 25 years) I insured my next 45 (Jimmy Ricks - oh what a feeling - festival vinyl) 5 dollars for full insurance....guess what............it turns up smack on the nose with a customs man knocking my door for a bill of 50 quid or somthing.....as now you turn up on the VAT radar :D

if you insure packages the buyer pays for insurance..............if (the buyer) dosent .... and its on your e bay transaction..............tell them to piss off!

If i am wrong...................get on me .........

But thats how I percieve the Postal services methods?

But if you have the No. of the recorded delivery....and it did not arrive at the destination..............The PO will have take responsibility!

Edited by mossy
Social source share

i did offer to meet the buyer halfway as i know how it feels not to recieve a record but it seems that wasnt good enough so now he can shove it where the sun dont shine.....its now out of my hands and i await paypals verdict on the matter.....

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Hiya

'Fraid it's the way with pay pal. If you pay with cheque/postal order there's no one to fight your corner when things go wrong, pay with pay pal and you have a fighting chance where goods aren't as described or don't turn up. If you do have to return an item to a seller, always send it back trackable. If you send an item back 1st class, and it never arrives with the seller (or so the seller says), and it's a pay pal dispute, the seller will win the case, you have no proof you sent the item back without getting a signature of receipt. You lose your money and no item to show for it either. It's wise to wait for Pay Pal to tell you to send the parcel back to the seller if you get into a dispute, sometimes they ask for it to sent to a Pay Pal centre.

Paying with cheque/PO, it's then at the sellers discretion if they refund you or not, highly unlikely in most cases.

If accepting pay pal for items over 34 quid, it's best to send special delivery. If a recorded delivery goes missing and its value is over 34 quid, Royal Mail have every right to sling your claim out because you have under insured your parcel in the first place.

There's a department at Royal Mail Claims that deals just with EBay claims. They check the item number on EBay that's gone missing to check price (so you haven't hyped up your price on your claim) they check sellers name, buyers name, everything! They clamped down a couple of years ago due to the amount of fraudulent claims going through.

A lot of EBay sellers won't refund until they get compensation from Royal Mail, so it's best if you can to stall the buyer, answer pay pal disputes, but very slowwwwwly, stall for time and hopefully your claims met by RM before the PP dispute is finalised.

p.s. I did a degree in Pay Pal disputes/terms/conditions after some buyer decided to try and rip me off to the tune of 60 quid ;-) A long draw out dispute that took over 6 weeks to finalise!

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

and that i will not be held for postal mishandling unless they choose to insure.......

bitchdj ^^ that bit on your listings, get rid of it :unsure:

Open invitation to get ripped off if accepting PP. It's advertising the fact that you will only be sending the item 1st/2nd class. Buyer won't take out added insurance and try for a freebie given half the chance. If you accept PP you are responsible for getting item to buyer no matter if they take out insurance or not.

Told ya, PP stinks ...!

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

cookie :unsure:

sounds like a bit of a pr*ck if you ask me, i would be well chuffed if i received stuff on a higher rate service than i had paid for

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

A Mate informed me of this thread so I thought I best become a member & post a reply as there is always two sides to every story!

Seller ID benge456 Auction Number 300184042280

Firstly the record was listed on Ebay.com, I presumme to keep commission costs down. The sellers payment instructions are as follows copied directly for the listing

I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR POSTAL MISHANDLING UNLESS INSURED PAYMENT MUST BE RECEIVED NO LATER THAN 7 DAYS AFTER AUCTION CLOSE

So the seller has stated that they are not responsible for.. unless the item is insured

I was Invoiced for the record which included $5 International Postal rate which is the only way to do because of the site the record was listed on.

$5 equates to about £2.50

So I have paid £2.50 for a record to be despatched to me which would more than cover the 48-70p that first class postage would cost, the sellers packing costs and the additional 70p for recorded delivery.

So the seller has not paid for the insurance out of there own pocket, I have paid for it Fact!

To be told that the item is insured but only for their benefit is insulting.

So the sellers basically saying that they charge you £2.50 for postage, send the item recorded delivery which has an insurance value of £34 which would cover the value of the record and in the unlikey event that the item does go astray they offer you a partial refund and then submitt an insurance claim for the full value of the record.

I tried to explain this fact with the seller through email but with no positive response. I was basically told that a was lucky to be offered a partial refund and that they were under obilgation to do so.

The seller advised that the item was posted on 27th jan, so it is highly unlikely to turn up now

It is was at this point I esclated to a Paypal claim.

I have over 3600 postive transactions in three and half years on ebay & this is only the second time I have had to use Paypal resolution.

If the record does arrive I will cancel the claim.

I Now leave it up to you to make your mind up on who is being unreasonable.

Social source share

A Mate informed me of this thread so I thought I best become a member & post a reply as there is always two sides to every story!

Seller ID benge456 Auction Number 300184042280

Firstly the record was listed on Ebay.com, I presumme to keep commission costs down. The sellers payment instructions are as follows copied directly for the listing

I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR POSTAL MISHANDLING UNLESS INSURED PAYMENT MUST BE RECEIVED NO LATER THAN 7 DAYS AFTER AUCTION CLOSE

So the seller has stated that they are not responsible for.. unless the item is insured

I was Invoiced for the record which included $5 International Postal rate which is the only way to do because of the site the record was listed on.

$5 equates to about £2.50

So I have paid £2.50 for a record to be despatched to me which would more than cover the 48-70p that first class postage would cost, the sellers packing costs and the additional 70p for recorded delivery.

So the seller has not paid for the insurance out of there own pocket, I have paid for it Fact!

To be told that the item is insured but only for their benefit is insulting.

So the sellers basically saying that they charge you £2.50 for postage, send the item recorded delivery which has an insurance value of £34 which would cover the value of the record and in the unlikey event that the item does go astray they offer you a partial refund and then submitt an insurance claim for the full value of the record.

I tried to explain this fact with the seller through email but with no positive response. I was basically told that a was lucky to be offered a partial refund and that they were under obilgation to do so.

The seller advised that the item was posted on 27th jan, so it is highly unlikely to turn up now

It is was at this point I esclated to a Paypal claim.

I have over 3600 postive transactions in three and half years on ebay & this is only the second time I have had to use Paypal resolution.

If the record does arrive I will cancel the claim.

I Now leave it up to you to make your mind up on who is being unreasonable.

if your a reasonable person/dealer as you claim then you will have no problem waiting a few extra days until the package can be declared lost "officially". Then Cookie can both make her claim against the post office and refund you and everyone will be happy.

I don't think Cookie is being unreasonable in asking you to wait until the 18th, four days isn't going to hurt anything is it?

Social source share

You've got a legitimate point there, £2.50 is outrageous postage when not sent by recorded delivery, actual cost is around 55 pence and no way is a mailer 2.00. I charge 2.00 recorded delivery. You can actually send up to 4 records for £2.00

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

if your a reasonable person/dealer as you claim then you will have no problem waiting a few extra days until the package can be declared lost "officially". Then Cookie can both make her claim against the post office and refund you and everyone will be happy.

I don't think Cookie is being unreasonable in asking you to wait until the 18th, four days isn't going to hurt anything is it?

It is clear the the seller is a friend

I have tried to be reasonable, But to be told that I am only entilted to partial refund and I should be happy with that has left me no other option that to use paypal resolution, as I have stated I will close the claim if the record turns up.

Social source share

It is clear the the seller is a friend

I have tried to be reasonable, But to be told that I am only entilted to partial refund and I should be happy with that has left me no other option that to use paypal resolution, as I have stated I will close the claim if the record turns up.

I don't know anyone involved on this thread - and I get really peed off when vinyl doesn't arrive on time.

BUT

Surely this is a genuine postal balls up, and it seems you are being kept informed by the seller.

If you agreed to the seller overcharging you for standard postage, and declined insurance, why do you assume that because the item was sent recorded at EXTRA cost to the seller, you are insured.

I think you should show a bit of restraint and be prepared to wait for the item to be declared lost.

Don't see why you should only get a partial refund though unless you've paid more than the seller will get refunded by the post office. If that is the case - tough IMO, you should have read her postal policy, and got insured.

This all seems to have got a bit out of hand I reckon.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

If you agreed to the seller overcharging you for standard postage, and declined insurance, why do you assume that because the item was sent recorded at EXTRA cost to the seller, you are insured.

I think you miss the point, I have paid for the insurance included in the £2.50 i paid for the postage charges, to be told that i am not insured and that i am lucky to be offered a partial refund is robbery. IF the seller has to claim they will claim for the Full value,

The seller states that they will be held responsible if the item is insured.

At NO tiime did I pay for Royal mail 1st class, this would be impossible as the Invoice was generated from ebay.com and would not come into their structure.

I have tried to reason with the seller but in their eyes I am entitled to nothing. THAT is why I had no choice but to open a Paypal disputed.

There are 3 possible conclusions

1.The record arrives, I cancel the claim, everybody happy.

2.The record does not arrive, I recieve a refund, sellers claims on insurance, Nobody loses out.

3.The record does not arrive, I accept what seller wants, recieve want ever refund they deem fit, they claim full amount and profit from the whole situation.

Do you really feel any buyer would be satisfied with conclusion 3?

I will not add anymore to this thread as i feel the whole situation a Joke now.

Social source share

ok which bit of standard flat rate international shipping says that it will be insured??? you read the description you chose not to insure.. and how will i not be out of pocket????...i will have no record and no insured amount...it is because of past fraudulent persons that i CHOOSE to send recorded delivery if you werent happy with paying the shipping costs as described why bid on the item??? you were not aware at the time that it would be sent insured.......i always list on ebay.com for exposure no other reason you are making me out to be a cheat and a liar when all i have done so far is keep you informed.... i did not have to give you a tracking number and you would have been none the wiser that the item was sent recorded delivery...i also informed you of the earliest date i could even report it as a lost item but oh no you cant even wait that long before lodging a claim... i too have 100% positive feedback...i find you very insulting and a waste of my time and effort in trying to keep you informed there are plenty of unscrupulous dealers out there but i am not one of them.... if you OR ANYONE ELSE has a problem with my shipping costs its very simple DONT EFFING BID ON MY STUFF......

cookie :lol:

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

oh and ..ps you were discounted for postage to the UK my usual rate on ebay.com is $7 :yes:

its going to be one of those days isnt it :lol:

So what you are saying is that you would have charged me £3.50 for your first class royal mail service but out of the kindness of your heart you discounted to £2.50.

Also out of the kindness of your heart you told me that the item was insured.

Would you still claim if i was unaware that the item was insured and not inform me as it appears that is what you are saying

As I stated in my email you show no regards to your buyers.

Definately no more posts.

Social source share

So what you are saying is that you would have charged me £3.50 for your first class royal mail service but out of the kindness of your heart you discounted to £2.50.

Also out of the kindness of your heart you told me that the item was insured.

Would you still claim if i was unaware that the item was insured and not inform me as it appears that is what you are saying

As I stated in my email you show no regards to your buyers.

Definately no more posts.

did i have to inform you the item was in fact recorded and being tracked??? NO i didnt...and as you have used so many dealers from ebay in the past you will be well aware of most shipping costs.. no less expensive than mine are they???...ive paid up to $10 and have the thing arrive in a piece of kitchen roll !!!!!!! if you wanted to complain about shipping then it should have been queried on point of sale not after the fact....my shipping costs and insurance info could not have been made any plainer on the actual item details and anyone here can go and check that....i didnt choose to name any names but you have decided to reveal my ebay ID which to be honest most people would know anyway and i have nothing at all to hide at all ...and congrats you are my first ever complaint and i hope you are the bloody last its this kind of thing that puts people off the whole ebay/paypal thing altogether cos theres been enough debate about it on here over the years...i came to this forum purely to ask other sellers for their advice end of story......

cos as far as i can see in your opinion i have to lose not only the record......but any costs incurred by myself...and give you your money back????? :lol: ,,,makes perfect sense that doesnt it ....NOT

I aint a charity matey

Social source share

too late pete i read it before u edited it...this aint a discussion about postal costs as i keep saying if people dont agree with them they can just not buy/bid on the item its about not reading the finer details and shipping info.....if you want to discuss shipping costs open a new thread......

cookie wicked.gif

Social source share

too late pete i read it before u edited it...this aint a discussion about postal costs as i keep saying if people dont agree with them they can just not buy/bid on the item its about not reading the finer details and shipping info.....if you want to discuss shipping costs open a new thread......

cookie wicked.gif

Fairy nuff

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert