Forum Member Badmouths Scene On Another Board

Do men find pr*ck offencive,proberly  :lol: so will be cutting the c-word now  :lol: .Ken

link

Probably, but not me, missus calls me a pr*ck so many times, immature pr*ck, selfish pr*ck, thoughtless pr*ck, empty headed pr*ck the list is countless. But its when she calls me a thick pr*ck that its a compliment, know what i mean, maybe......maybe not :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 149
  • Views 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

"been my thinking all along.

Ever since I went to a night in Brum in the early 80s and it kicked off, with a load of them coming upstairs into 'our' room and taking the michael."

Similar thing happened at Reading lates 70s early 80s

Strange they've got no real club scene left now......

Edited by Soulsmith
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

And now they are coming into 'your' clubs and taking the micheal! ha ha. What ever next?  :lol:

link

Fly by nights. Here today, gone over to beads and Janis Joplin tomorrow.

:lol:

Social source share

Probably, but not me, missus calls me a pr*ck so many times, immature pr*ck, selfish pr*ck, thoughtless pr*ck, empty headed pr*ck the list is countless. But its when she calls me a thick pr*ck that its a compliment, know what i mean, maybe......maybe not :lol:

link

Same here,only women though is it we save our worst insults for inabitants of venus :lol: ,supose they should learn to drive :lol: Ken

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

And now they are coming into 'your' clubs and taking the micheal! ha ha. What ever next?  :lol:

link

yeah, and now we're stealing their records to play in our clubs :lol:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Excuse me but aren't a few of you getting the Jazz Funk/Caister scene mixed up with Deep Funk? One was a massive commercial phenomena the other is just James Mud and his mate ( :lol: ok and 16 others :lol: )

Trouty

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

"been my thinking all along.

Ever since I went to a night in Brum in the early 80s and it kicked off, with a load of them coming upstairs into 'our' room and taking the michael."

Similar thing happened at Reading lates 70s early 80s

Strange they've got no real club scene left now......

link

I couldnt work out why they had the hump with us. Was it because we were playing records ages before they heard them??

or because we didnt do they funk predecessor of line dancing?

Did anyone ever watch that Sound Of Underground London? I think Eddie Pillar may have helped. They had footage of some of the old Jazz Funk alldayers at some place in Essex. Where groups of people all dressed in the same t-shirts danced in formation. Oh how wild they were :lol:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

yeah, and now we're stealing their records to play in our clubs :lol:

link

Very true Mark but it's a two way thing :lol:

Edited by Johnny One Trout
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Excuse me but aren't a few of you getting the Jazz Funk/Caister scene mixed up with Deep Funk? One was a massive commercial phenomena the other is just James Mud and his mate ( :lol: ok and 16 others :lol: )

Trouty

link

At Caister they all wore dippy shirts, danced strangely, and listened to awful music.

I went to Deep funk once for 3 hours.

Seemed to last almost as long as a weekender, they all danced strangely (Over by the bar, even when the dancefloor was empty - could this be because they wanted to show the bar flys their latest moves?),

the music was absolutely the worst I have ever heard in a club, (I used to roadie for bands that played in some terrible clubs too)

And they nearly all wore hawaiian shirts, and jeans with turnups, so much so that we christened them Mini Keb, Mini Keb 2, Mini Keb 3.... Trickster...Mini Keb 55...etc

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Guest woolie mark

we christened them Mini Keb, Mini Keb 2, Mini Keb 3.... Trickster...Mini Keb 55...etc

link

yes, we do that too :lol::lol::lol:

Social source share

Guest adam leaver

I'm hardly a spokesperson for the 'funk scene', but - as Johnny suggests, I think many of you are mixing up the jazzfunk geezers of Caister and before with people listening to funk music now. As someone who caught the tail end of rare groove I can tell you that there are very different people listening to the music than there were back then. Many people into funk now are pretty young (relatively speaking) and so you're not really talking about 40 somethings jigging about in their jellies.

As such, it is still a realtively new scene compared with Northern. Its also still pretty underground. Yes there are very few clubs - but this was also the case when Northern first started up (though the proliferation of bars in town centres may work against the development of as large a scene now). Decent clubs take a long time to build, but they are there - yes there's Deepfunk in London, but this isnt the only club. For example there's Fryer's Motherfunk club up in Scotland or Ben's massive club in Wales - all pulling large numbers of punters. There is also a collecting and digging ethic, which is dedicated enough for many people to pay Northern Soul prices for their 45s (often before their ultimate rarity is known!)

The bizarre truth is that there is also a degree of crossover musically between the two scenes. Many tracks big on the soul scene now began on the funk scene (Hamilton Movement, Trace of Smoke, King Earnest etc) and vice versa (Cookie Scott, for example).

So, before everyone starts getting their (baggy) pants in a knot about the funk 'scene', our parochiality, lack of girls and small numbers, perhaps you should a) take a look at yourselves next time you're at a half empty venue listening to the same old oldies and cool.gif give some credit to a genuinely upcoming scene with the right ethic, innovative tunes and is struggling against the man to establish underground sounds.

Social source share

Guest alison

give some credit to a genuinely upcoming scene with the right ethic, innovative tunes and is struggling against the man to establish underground sounds.

link

I like the cut of your jib Sir :lol:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I like the cut of your jib Sir  :yes:

link

Nah he's just a dodgey old Manc with a chip wink.gif:lol::lol::yes:smile.gif:yes:

Actually a good point well put i thought Adam :lol:

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

funk, soul, disco, boogie.....all the same to me

thing is, wots wrong with just going out dancing to some good choonz and having fun?

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

I like the cut of your jib Sir  :lol:

link

Its not up and coming at all. How can it be? I was going to lots of funk nights in the early 90's all over the place and the scene was quite vibrant. However this was on the back of Acid Jazz, UK Hop Hop, chart funk like Jamiroquai and the like. The scene has never been so quiet. There were 3 or 4 events per weekend in Sheffield alone back then. Nowadays there is virtually nothing all year.

Also, no one criticised the funk scene until the twaddle from James Trouble was revealed.

Shane

Social source share

thing is, wots wrong with just going out dancing to some good choonz and having fun?

link

Don't agree with your first line, it's not all the same, we all have our preferances,

but definately agree with the second!!!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

funk, soul, disco, boogie

link

Everybody talk about pop music...talk about..

is it stuck in yer head yet?? Rolf :lol:

Social source share

link

I cant dance :dance: :lol: Ken

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Its not up and coming at all. How can it be? I was going to lots of funk nights in the early 90's all over the place and the scene was quite vibrant. However this was on the back of Acid Jazz, UK Hop Hop, chart funk like Jamiroquai and the like. The scene has never been so quiet. There were 3 or 4 events per weekend in Sheffield alone back then. Nowadays there is virtually nothing all year.

Also, no one criticised the funk scene until the twaddle from James Trouble was revealed.

Shane

link

There's 'funk', and there's 'deepfunk'. In the early 90s the DJs didn't have the records we have now. The music was weak, and there was no ethic. Hence Jamiroquai etc being played. Now the deepfunk scene is looking for new sounds all the time and there is an uncompromising attitude to quality. A truely innovative and up and coming scene with very little relation to acid jazz and all that jazz at all. :lol:

I think most 'soulies' would be surprised by what many of top funk collectors can pull out and play. But as has been pointed out before, at the moment most of the innovation is going on online and not in clubs. :lol:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

link

Noice norman, down boy! :lol:

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

There's 'funk', and there's 'deepfunk'. In the early 90s the DJs didn't have the records we have now. The music was weak, and there was no ethic. Hence Jamiroquai etc being played. Now the deepfunk scene is looking for new sounds all the time and there is an uncompromising attitude to quality. A truely innovative and up and coming scene with very little relation to acid jazz and all that jazz at all. :yes:

I think most 'soulies' would be surprised by what many of top funk collectors can pull out and play. But as has been pointed out before, at the moment most of the innovation is going on online and not in clubs. :lol:

link

fair enough James. I accept you are in touch with things however I think it would be a good idea for you to post up the current 'hot' sounds. I would give them a listen for deffo.

By the way has anyone been onto the funk forum to rattle their cages yet? :yes:

James, when is the best time to catch someone on there mate? :lol:

Its only a bit of fun and not a swear word to be seen! :lol:

Shane

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Don't agree with your first line, it's not all the same, we all have our preferances

link

ok, i'll come back on that......wot about the sharon jones tune that trickster played at the last 100club (filled the floor btw) that me and jt were laughin about on here earlier in the week? funk, jazz, soul, r'n'b? actually, it's all of those things :lol:

these categories are all artificial and contrived

would be more grown-up to focus on the things we have in common (but sayin that, i hate them depressing "beat ballads" that were popular on the northern scene a while back :lol: )

Social source share

link

Think we can assume you are a prick then mate :lol::lol:

Social source share

Blimey!!!

Just got back and decided to have a look if anybody had replied to my post and found all this stuff :lol:

Think I'd better make my point clear. The title of this post was supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek and I knew JT would not be able to resist steaming in. He's got broad shoulders though and I think this thread shows he can take it as well as give it out.

To be honest I'm often amused at James' posts but think he does go off a bit half cocked sometimes - and I'd be a liar if I didn't say that I thought his message on the funk45 message board struck me as a bit of an attempt to ingratiate himself with his critics on there by having a pop at an easy stereotypical target (ie all Northern Soul collectors are narrow minded and unsophisticated)

Thing is I'm now faced with people slagging off the funk scene - which is the last thing I wanted.

What do you think I was doing on that board in the first place? :lol::yes::yes:

Can we have nice cuddly peace back now please :lol:

Godz

Social source share

(but sayin that, i hate them depressing "beat ballads" that were popular on the northern scene a while back :lol: )

link

Surely you mean 'Show Tunes' Mark ?

Social source share

Blimey!!!

Just got back and decided to have a look if anybody had replied to my post and found all this stuff :lol:

Think I'd better make my point clear. The title of this post was supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek and I knew JT would not be able to resist steaming in. He's got broad shoulders though and I think this thread shows he can take it as well as give it out.

To be honest I'm often amused at James' posts but think he does go off a bit half cocked sometimes - and I'd be a liar if I didn't say that I thought his message on the funk45 message board struck me as a bit of an attempt to ingratiate himself with his critics on there by having a pop at an easy stereotypical target (ie all Northern Soul collectors are narrow minded and unsophisticated)

Thing is I'm now faced with people slagging off the funk scene - which is the last thing I wanted.

What do you think I was doing on that board in the first place?  :lol:   :yes:   :yes:

Can we have nice cuddly peace back now please :lol:

Godz

link

CUDDLE

Social source share

I'm hardly a spokesperson for the 'funk scene', but - as Johnny suggests, I think many of you are mixing up the jazzfunk geezers of Caister and before with people listening to funk music now. As someone who caught the tail end of rare groove I can tell you that there are very different people listening to the music than there were back then. Many people into funk now are pretty young (relatively speaking) and so you're not really talking about 40 somethings jigging about in their jellies.

As such, it is still a realtively new scene compared with Northern. Its also still pretty underground. Yes there are very few clubs - but this was also the case when Northern first started up (though the proliferation of bars in town centres may work against the development of as large a scene now). Decent clubs take a long time to build, but they are there - yes there's Deepfunk in London, but this isnt the only club. For example there's Fryer's Motherfunk club up in Scotland or Ben's massive club in Wales - all pulling large numbers of punters. There is also a collecting and digging ethic, which is dedicated enough for many people to pay Northern Soul prices for their 45s (often before their ultimate rarity is known!)

The bizarre truth is that there is also a degree of crossover musically between the two scenes. Many tracks big on the soul scene now began on the funk scene (Hamilton Movement, Trace of Smoke, King Earnest etc) and vice versa (Cookie Scott, for example).

So, before everyone starts getting their (baggy) pants in a knot about the funk 'scene', our parochiality, lack of girls and small numbers, perhaps you should a) take a look at yourselves next time you're at a half empty venue listening to the same old oldies and cool.gif give some credit to a genuinely upcoming scene with the right ethic, innovative tunes and is struggling against the man to establish underground sounds.

link

I thought this was a very good post :lol:

So good, in fact, that I'm not even going to get into an academic argument about who heard the Hamilton Movement first :lol::lol:

Social source share

fair enough James. I accept you are in touch with things however I think it would be a good idea for you to post up the current 'hot' sounds. I would give them a listen for deffo.

By the way has anyone been onto the funk forum to rattle their cages yet?  :P

James, when is the best time to catch someone on there mate?  whistling.gif

Its only a bit of fun and not a swear word to be seen!  :shhh:

Shane

link

Don't do it Shane! :ohmy:

There's some rough boys on there.....you don't want to play with them! wink.gif

James, can I copy that cd for Shane for the weekend..... if I leave off the two "Northern" tracks?

Dave

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

I thought this was a very good post  :shhh:

So good, in fact, that I'm not even going to get into an academic argument about who heard the Hamilton Movement first :ohmy:   wink.gif

link

i heard it before you ya fekker whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

There's some rough boys on there.....you don't want to play with them! :shhh:

James, can I copy that cd for Shane for the weekend..... if I leave off the two "Northern" tracks?

Dave

link

if you like. leave the northern bits on as well if you want, I'm not bothered (as long as you didn't get me pissed and got me to put my detroit acetate on there and i don't remember doing it). whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

There's some rough boys on there.....you don't want to play with them! :shhh:

Dave

link

one of my oldest mates Mike Parry is one of the infamous 17. He has filled me in on many goings on over the years.

Dave, going on your current form I half expect you to disagree with the above whistling.gif

see you at sheridans maybe mate.

Shane

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

if you like. leave the northern bits on as well if you want, I'm not bothered (as long as you didn't get me pissed and got me to put my detroit acetate on there and i don't remember doing it). whistling.gif

link

do you mean that ian levine test pressing you peeled the label off james?

Social source share

if you like. leave the northern bits on as well if you want, I'm not bothered (as long as you didn't get me pissed and got me to put my detroit acetate on there and i don't remember doing it). :shhh:

link

Me?

Get somebody pissed? wink.gif

Heaven forbid.....what would Monsignor C say? :ohmy:

(there is a certain member of this board who was unable to remember any of the Thursday night drinking at Prestatyn) whistling.gif:P

And no, that isn't on there.

Social source share

one of my oldest mates Mike Parry is one of the infamous 17. He has filled me in on many goings on over the years.

Dave, going on your current form I half expect you to disagree with the above  whistling.gif

see you at sheridans maybe mate.

Shane

link

:shhh:

wink.gif

:ohmy:

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

(there is a certain member of this board who was unable to remember any of the Thursday night drinking at Prestatyn)  whistling.gif   :ohmy:

link

did we go to prestatyn?

Social source share

Man, I'm glad this topic came up. Doing the 100 Club flyer, I've been driving myself mad at how 'James Trouble' messed up my designers 'grid'.

'ADY

BUTCH

MICK

&

C*NT' now looks stunning in 228 point.

Cheers James.

All I've gotta do now is find someone to leech that other guest... 'Warren from Boogaloo' is a right ball-ache to fit....

Bitch fight anyone?

Social source share

The only time Dave as seen a church is when he took the lead off the roof  :ohmy:   ohmy.gif

link

Ha ha! Brings back some memories.

Edited by OutsideNow
Social source share

Cover Up's have been part of the scene since the year dot often the practice of well read, well informed DJ's and collectors who know their subject inside out, it's all about keeping a tune exclusive to them for as long as they can

Big deal. Someone BUYS a record and gains cash and kudos on the back of the people who 'wrote/played on/published' the damn thing.

Keep the faith cool.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert