Soul Night Disgrace

• Replies 749
  • Views 48.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

If a collection is that good then you can still 'play what folks want' without resorting to a spot comprising mainly boots. :lol:

Brian :lol:

==========

I've read all through this thread and haven't seen this girl's playlist anywhere, so how do you or anyone else know she was playing 'mainly boots'?

Winnie:-)

Social source share

==========

I've read all through this thread and haven't seen this girl's playlist anywhere, so how do you or anyone else know she was playing 'mainly boots'?

nice one winnie :lol:
Social source share

if you want original stick to the big nighters where they can afford big names

This is something I've never understood - it's implied that the big venues properly pay DJs, so they can afford these "big" records. As far as I'm aware, a DJ fee for an hour slot will rarely be over £100 - which isn't going to get you too far when it comes to the "big tunes".

Most DJs who have the best collections simply have quite a lot of money to begin with. Obviously some were picking records up for buttons in the 80s, but c'mon - Ginger paying 2 or 3 grand or whatever for that Parliaments 45. If I was a DJ starting off, I'd quite happily mix legal re-issues with originals.

All the Lou Pride stuff was recently issued, with money going directly to the artist - what on earth would be the point in shelling out a grand for an original? REALLY? To show that I somehow have more of a "right" to play it than another DJ with more spare cash?

If it's been re-issued - move along, find the next big thing.

[PS Why does everyone moan that no venues have CD players? You can buy a portable discman for a tenner - LESS THAN IT COSTS FOR ONE VINYLCARVER - why not play "original" CDs?]

Social source share

==========

But Winnie, did a witch have to be a witch ????

Think i've got the answer, tie her to her collection (+ a few rocks) then throw her in the local pond !

If she floats they were boots ! If she drowns they were originals ! & we can all go back to dissing Modern :lol::lol:

Social source share

This is something I've never understood - it's implied that the big venues properly pay DJs, so they can afford these "big" records. As far as I'm aware, a DJ fee for an hour slot will rarely be over £100 - which isn't going to get you too far when it comes to the "big tunes".

Most DJs who have the best collections simply have quite a lot of money to begin with. Obviously some were picking records up for buttons in the 80s, but c'mon - Ginger paying 2 or 3 grand or whatever for that Parliaments 45. If I was a DJ starting off, I'd quite happily mix legal re-issues with originals.

All the Lou Pride stuff was recently issued, with money going directly to the artist - what on earth would be the point in shelling out a grand for an original? REALLY? To show that I somehow have more of a "right" to play it than another DJ with more spare cash?

[PS Why does everyone moan that no venues have CD players? You can buy a portable discman for a tenner - LESS THAN IT COSTS FOR ONE VINYLCARVER - why not play "original" CDs?]

Great post :lol:

Social source share

valid point mate but i know for a fact winstanley was down our way not long back n got 200quid for a crap hour spot n ginger got more money than sense

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

==========

I don't know whether she was playing mainly boots (if you've read my previous posts you will see that I asked the OP to list the records he thought were boots so we could get some context for this debate).

All my subsequent comments have been of a general, non-specific nature in the debate about OVO or boots (or whatever) at soul nights.

At no point have I made any direct comment about the specific soul night or the DJ in question as I have no direct knowledge of either.

I was just trying to contribute rationally to an interesting and lively discussion.

Social source share

wanker.gif

Think you have misread that Jellybean ! Twas an ironic joke ! Have you not read my other posts ? I'm on your feckin' side !!!! :lol:

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Think you have misread that Jellybean ! Twas a joke ! Have you not read my other posts ? I'm on your feckin' side !!!! :lol:

:lol::yes::D

Sorry Bogues I cannot stop laughing mate

Keep it up Eddy

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

I think you did, if thats any use!

Thanks Pete, feeling a bit like Custer's last stance at times :lol: .

The innocent are guilty unless proved otherwise!

Social source share

:lol::lol::yes:

Sorry Bogues I cannot stop laughing mate

Keep it up Eddy

:Dlaugh.gif

Made me think of the stoneing scene in 'Life Of Brian' where the bloke reading out the charge ends up getting it too :thumbsup:

Social source share

THE,S JUST NO NEED FOR ALL THIS B**L**KS.......ENOUGH,S BEEN SAID ON THIS SUBJECT!!! :lol:

So here's how I see the thread ending.

Your nameless mate joins Soul Source & puts up a post saying they were all requests & she was playing to the dancefloor.

Probably uses a name like Sorry Soulie Girlie & uses a crying smiley :lol: (closest I could find).

The Soul Police (whoever they are) decide the only suitable punishment is to tar & feather her but as it's a first offence they take pity & suspend the sentence.

Sorry Soulie Girlie say's she's been a very naughty girl & won't do it again & everybody takes pity on her & takes her under their wings.

Everything turns out great for Sorry Soulie Girlie & she gets loads of bookings & even goes on to win the dance contest at the next Blackpool weekender (ah bless).

Everything on Soul Source returns to normal & we all live happily ever after.

End of part one................

Social source share

I love original records as much as the next person , but I wonder if we have lost the plot a bit , I wonder if the lady in question played a good spot , created a good atmosphere , and everyone had a good night ? Best ,Eddie

:lol:Bloody hell

now you"ve thrown a spanner in the works :lol:

Social source share

I love original records as much as the next person , but I wonder if we have lost the plot a bit , I wonder if the lady in question played a good spot , created a good atmosphere , and everyone had a good night ? Best ,Eddie

HAVE IT ON GOOD AUTHORITY THAT SHE PLAYED A ~ CRACKING SET ~ AND GOT THE DANCEFLOOR HEAVING :lol: MISSED A GOOD UN AYE!!?? :yes::lol: .....JB XXXX

Social source share

well mate i have seen her and she is good at getting them up n dancing :lol:

Social source share

I don't know whether she was playing mainly boots (if you've read my previous posts you will see that I asked the OP to list the records he thought were boots so we could get some context for this debate).

All my subsequent comments have been of a general, non-specific nature in the debate about OVO or boots (or whatever) at soul nights.

At no point have I made any direct comment about the specific soul night or the DJ in question as I have no direct knowledge of either.

I was just trying to contribute rationally to an interesting and lively discussion.

==============

Perfectly rational Brian, having fianally waded through the thread, just asked who actually knew what she'd played at the last relevant post I got to.

Personally I think she's taken a hammering on here without anyone having any proper evidence, but then again a lot of people have been able to validate their OVO policy publically :lol:

Social source share

==============

Perfectly rational Brian, having fianally waded through the thread, just asked who actually knew what she'd played at the last relevant post I got to.

Personally I think she's taken a hammering on here without anyone having any proper evidence, but then again a lot of people have been able to validate their OVO policy publically :lol:

GOOD POINT :lol: .....JB XXX

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share

So here's how I see the thread ending.

Your nameless mate joins Soul Source & puts up a post saying they were all requests & she was playing to the dancefloor.

Probably uses a name like Sorry Soulie Girlie & uses a crying smiley :lol: (closest I could find).

The Soul Police (whoever they are) decide the only suitable punishment is to tar & feather her but as it's a first offence they take pity & suspend the sentence.

Sorry Soulie Girlie say's she's been a very naughty girl & won't do it again & everybody takes pity on her & takes her under their wings.

Everything turns out great for Sorry Soulie Girlie & she gets loads of bookings & even goes on to win the dance contest at the next Blackpool weekender (ah bless).

Everything on Soul Source returns to normal & we all live happily ever after.

End of part one................

dont think so mate probly give you a slap more like :D:lol::yes:

Social source share

I think its really sad that people have to resort to playing counterfeit music to get and give a buzz, I'm sure there is an analogy out there somewhere however at the moment I can't be arsed to even think of one let alone two.

I wish those that play boots, start their sessions with a "I'll be playing illegal copies tonight because I'm a top notch jock not a "Ive got more money than sense collector"

"No compromise. no surrender, keep counterfeit record in your box at 'ome"

Social source share

Probably will if & when I post up part 2 :lol:

Was only joking anyway,

She didn't win the dance contest - she came 2nd to the Billy Elliot wanabee :lol:

pmsl the black thong strikes again

Edited by eddyg
Social source share

How has this thread affected the said accused personally if she knows about it which i kind of think she would by now, ffs she played some boots and no i dont agree but all this shit she is now copping :lol: for fook sake has anyone been injured or killed :lol:

give her my regards and tell her to do what she wants and fook em all, why aint the promoter been hammered as i personally feel the blame should lay there and there only,

why dont promoters put on their advertising that BOOTS could well be played at this venue so if you dont agree then fook off somewhere else :yes:

Bearsy

Social source share

How has this thread affected the said accused personally if she knows about it which i kind of think she would by now, ffs she played some boots and no i dont agree but all this shit she is now copping :yes: for fook sake has anyone been injured or killed :lol:

give her my regards and tell her to do what she wants and fook em all, why aint the promoter been hammered as i personally feel the blame should lay there and there only,

why dont promoters put on their advertising that BOOTS could well be played at this venue so if you dont agree then fook off somewhere else :D

Bearsy

nice points mate :lol:

Social source share

Sorry Moggy :D !! I just think that one of the main reasons for being into this music is the enjoyment factor , otherwise we might just as well stay at home. Best ,Eddie

:yes:

Correct Eddie, I think we all started off with the enjoyment factor top of our list

But then most forget about it as the years roll on my mate

and then everything seems all so serious :lol:

Never Mind

:lol:

Social source share

the word Boot has been mentioned loads of times,do we know she was playing boots ?, if she was playing " legit" Re-issues,who exactly is she upsetting....mainly collector-DJs, I dont agree with playing boots out , but " legit" Re-issues....some of ya do need to get a life

Bazza

Social source share

How has this thread affected the said accused personally if she knows about it which i kind of think she would by now, ffs she played some boots and no i dont agree but all this shit she is now copping :lol: for fook sake has anyone been injured or killed :lol:

why dont promoters put on their advertising that BOOTS could well be played at this venue so if you dont agree then fook off somewhere else :yes:

Bearsy

Someone made a point about a particular DJ and it developed into a discussion, nobody's attacked her personally, just stated that they disagree with her 'ethics' on this point, and why. Been plenty of posts on the other side as well. As I said in an earlier post about 500 pages ago, if someone is familiar with the soul scene then they should be aware that playing boots is controversial. And if you're going to put yourself up as a DJ then you have to be prepared to defend your choice in records, both in musical taste and in format - if you're not then you shouldn't be doing it.

Edited by rachel
Social source share

Someone made a point about a particular DJ and it developed into a discussion, nobody's attacked her personally, just stated that they disagree with her 'ethics' on this point, and why. Been plenty of posts on the other side as well. As I said in an earlier post about 500 pages ago, if someone is familiar with the soul scene then they should be aware that playing boots in controversial. And if you're going to put yourself up as a DJ then you have to be prepared to defend your choice in records, both in musical taste and in format - if you're not then you shouldn't be doing it.

I Can not keep of this thread but a very very good point thumbsup.gif

Social source share

How has this thread affected the said accused personally if she knows about it which i kind of think she would by now, ffs she played some boots and no i dont agree but all this shit she is now copping :lol: for fook sake has anyone been injured or killed unsure.gif

why dont promoters put on their advertising that BOOTS could well be played at this venue so if you dont agree then fook off somewhere else :lol:

Bearsy

Im talking to her

She would like to thanks everyone who has sent her messages of support she really appreciates it and will thank them personally if she gets the chance

Social source share

Im talking to her

She would like to thanks everyone who has sent her messages of support she really appreciates it and will thank them personally if she gets the chance

Any chance of a playlist then? Or even just a 'yes I played boots and I'm proud of it' or a 'no I didn't play boots, how dare you' message....? ph34r.gif

Social source share