Soul Night Disgrace

• Replies 749
  • Views 48.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Perhaps the original poster can give us a sample of the titles he believes were played off boots - then we can all have some idea of the real context to all of this and have a better idea about what all the fuss is.

Did anyone also notice the original poster say he wasn't let down by the music played but still saw fit to come on here complaining? Imagine what they'd have written if the music had been crap as well!! :Dlaugh.gif:)

Social source share

I have known her for a few years and I know she has many originals,what she played on this particular night I dont know...but in my opinion she does a good job ,she can diffinatlety liven up a dead floor :D

Bazza

Like i said this will go on and on , If she as many Originals my question will be why don't she play them , its got to be a case of playing the expensive floorfillers but like so many have said you can play a top spot with a lot of cheap originals , I think at the end of the day it's up to them what they want to DJ with boots or Originals I've been told certain promoters gets to know who DJs with Boots and Originals I've also been told when you DJ you sort of get a name for yourself either good /bad playing boots/originals , I was asked to go to a local venue on Saturday night in The West Mids Both of us Agreed not to go because a certain guest DJ was booked and is well known to play boots and having Carvers made of the expensive stuff , this was our choice But the residents have good originals and play them out so really unfair on them , You have a choice to go to venues if you like The DJ you GO if Not then DON'T simple. I may have missed a few of replies but I've noticed the Bigger DJ's have not commented their views on this subject

Social source share

Perhaps the original poster can give us a sample of the titles he believes were played off boots - then we can all have some idea of the real context to all of this and have a better idea about what all the fuss is.

For what it's worth, my view is why would anyone on the NS scene set himself/herself up as a current NS DJ with a box (or playlist) primarily consisting of bootlegs?

If the prime motive is to be a DJ then why not buy a few general CDs and get some bookings doing weddings and general party nights - you'll get no issues relating to boots, reissues or CDs? And you'll probably get more bookings and earn far more dosh!

Brian :D

Good Point thumbsup.gif

Social source share

All I can say is - As most people accept that boots are ano-no in todays scene- What morals has the person who plays these boots got!

Dublin 3years ago.

I get told in the 70s modern room Im on first and apart from Keith Money all the other djs are local . Problems with the equipment meant I only got to play for half an hour. That was bad enough being told my time was up but then to watch as 2 hours later a local dj is playing compilations including Timelless legends and reissues of "Beware your pulling my strings" Just made my blood boil and what was even worse was this same dj wants to know some of the tunes I was playing as I had returned from New York a couple of months earlier with a couple of nice numbers. I told him to go F**K himself and wait until thery get reissued in 5years or so.

This is my principle

Request - Namcy Sinatra - These boots are made of walking and this is what theyll do- One of these days these boots are gonna be smashed all over you!

Not literally as I am a pacifist!

AS the KKK was to white supremacy we will start a new cult -The BBB or otherwise known as the Boot Burning Brothers - Anyone want to join- membership limited to original people only!

Think it should have record box stickers for those DJ's that sign up.

Social source share

Blimey, all gone a bit sideways this hasn't it.

I think it boils down to.

If you want to listen to the Northern soul Top 500 (or 200) and you ain't bothered in what format, put on your baggies and vest and go and do the do.

If you want to hear original vinyl, go somewhere else that plays it.

Or have i got it wrong???

Tony

THAT ABOUT SUMS IT UP MATE! :D

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

hmmmmmmm very dubious morals

:thumbup::thumbup::shades: - blimey - you've only just noticed.

But I'd like to tell you all something shocking. I was looking for a recipe for potato cakes yesterday. So I thought Nigella Lawson's recipe might be a good place to start....but wait - I read something that chilled me to the bone - Nigella used SMASH for her recipe. She didn't get a proper potato, peel it, boil it, mash it and then let it go cold to be used for a proper potato cake........oh no - she used SMASH :Dohmy.gif:) So the original vs the non original has even spilt over into Domestic Goddess territory...is nothing sacred??? However, I bet her non original potato cake tastes just as good as my time consuming original potato version.....is this a slippery slope??? Today the soul 7", tomorrow Nigella's potato cakes.... :ohmy: It's the Decline and Fall starting....

Social source share

Like i said this will go on and on , If she as many Originals my question will be why don't she play them , its got to be a case of playing the expensive floorfillers but like so many have said you can play a top spot with a lot of cheap originals , I think at the end of the day it's up to them what they want to DJ with boots or Originals I've been told certain promoters gets to know who DJs with Boots and Originals I've also been told when you DJ you sort of get a name for yourself either good /bad playing boots/originals , I was asked to go to a local venue on Saturday night in The West Mids Both of us Agreed not to go because a certain guest DJ was booked and is well known to play boots and having Carvers made of the expensive stuff , this was our choice But the residents have good originals and play them out so really unfair on them , You have a choice to go to venues if you like The DJ you GO if Not then DON'T simple. I may have missed a few of replies but I've noticed the Bigger DJ's have not commented their views on this subject

Hmm!!! Me thinks :D I know who your on about sweetie wink.gif ....JB xxx

Social source share

Heres a point for you all, i can understand limited edition sets ie 100 club anniversary sets, but why if this is such a bone of contention do other uk re-issue labels still churn out original american recordings out week after week if the big record collectors are so against the playing of non originals why are some of them involved in this practice when there is the option of cd format? surely its only giving people easier access to these recordings, me myself on this one i`m a so CALLED FENCE SITTER but i think people would never play CD`S or do they, the never ending battle against illegal bootleggs is bad enough but you can obtain some of the rarest tunes on the scene legally on these shores :D

Social source share

Nigella used SMASH for her recipe.

Have you got the recipe, the Acado man delivered a tin of Smash to us by mistake, Emma may have thrown it out in disgust but I tried to save it for a rainy day.. you never know :D

oh i'd just like to add I did ask the delivery man if any one still bought it.. and he said he didn't know they still made it.. we are talking Waitrose here..

Edited by mischief
Social source share

But I'd like to tell you all something shocking. I was looking for a recipe for potato cakes yesterday. So I thought Nigella Lawson's recipe might be a good place to start....but wait - I read something that chilled me to the bone - Nigella used SMASH for her recipe. She didn't get a proper potato, peel it, boil it, mash it and then let it go cold to be used for a proper potato cake........oh no - she used SMASH :Dohmy.gif:) So the original vs the non original has even spilt over into Domestic Goddess territory...is nothing sacred??? However, I bet her non original potato cake tastes just as good as my time consuming original potato version.....is this a slippery slope??? Today the soul 7", tomorrow Nigella's potato cakes.... :huh: It's the Decline and Fall starting....

Nigella used SMASH :thumbup::shades::ohmy:

pm the recipe jo and i will get the catering police to investigate

I will own up to using frozen mash once or twice for potato cakes but NEVER NEVER would I resort to SMASH :thumbup:

QoFxx

Social source share

And this also begs the question :D Peas huh.gif

Garden

Processed

Mushy

Which one is the legal issue & which are boots :)

Ive stopped eating them for fear of reprisal

Social source share

I'd play them just to upset you if thats your attitude

:lol::yes:

Blimey, all gone a bit sideways this hasn't it.

If you want to listen to the Northern soul Top 500 (or 200) and you ain't bothered in what format, put on your baggies and vest and go and do the do.

Tony

Well i personally think you have got it wrong to an extent ! (don't mean the make your own choice bit :lol: ) , & again i'm talking alternative formats here as opposed to just boots as i think this is clouding the real issue here. I think that what you would end up with is small local venues just playing the few originals that they can afford & so people end up just not getting to hear 1000's of great tunes !! But i guess who cares so long as they have their integrity :D

Yes you can argue go where they are played, but i'll say it again, the world has changed & we are older & the majority have family to consider.

Pretty much correct, but i wasn't aware of a connection between vests and baggies and boots and pressings, does this mean events where a lot of the punters wear this gear play mostly boots and reissues?

Pete

No but it helps to make some feel even more superior to think it i'm afraid Pete !

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Aww, come on Rachel - it's the only chance I'll be able to use my John Lennon quip....just this once

Sorry, same rules for all.. and it was a bad joke :lol::lol:

Social source share

Please forgive my ignorance :lol: ..but not being a collector , but love to dance,does the sound differ from

original to non-original :yes: ??...this is a serious question.

As mentioned earlier Steve, a lot depends on the sound system - most are very poor! however some of the 'boots' were mastered from poor condition originals in the 70's & 80's so are only as good as the quality of said originals, proper re-issues such as adey's kent offerings etc benefit from being transferred from proper masters with the benefit of modern technology and computer wizzadry so sound quality is excellent, again it all depends on the sound system :lol:

M.

Social source share

No need to Chalky. My views are well known. I'm not particularly bothered these days at Soul nights, but it's originals only for all nighters. Simple way to avoid playing bootlegs is don't put any in the play box :lol:

I'm happy with my own view on this, and if other people are happy with their view, let them get on with it. The only thing I'd add is that promoters should make a decision and stick to it, about booking DJs who play boots, irregardless of whether it means they won't get bookings on a return basis.

Social source share

As mentioned earlier Steve, a lot depends on the sound system - most are very poor! however some of the 'boots' were mastered from poor condition originals in the 70's & 80's so are only as good as the quality of said originals, proper re-issues such as adey's kent offerings etc benefit from being transferred from proper masters with the benefit of modern technology and computer wizzadry so sound quality is excellent, again it all depends on the sound system :lol:

M.

Thats my question answered :yes: and thank you, but the guy had a good night :lol: confused!!!...if i had a do, she can play at mine :D but please no crossover / modern or she,s out biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

.... but please no crossover / modern or she,s out :yes:

Oh no.... ffs don't add that into the mix as well..... please :lol: , we'll never get to the end of this (on its way to rival War & Peace already)!

Brian :lol:

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

Aww, come on Rachel - it's the only chance I'll be able to use my John Lennon quip....just this once

right peeps just gonna put my pennies worth in

i actually know the girl dj involved and come on lads n lasses doz she really need all the crap being dished out. ive seen her play a set n beleive me she aint half bad . Gets arses on the danfloor anyway. So what is this big crime, a small local venue, she was booked to get folks dancing did that wasnt competing with a big name dj or record collector so whats the prob.Me i get about a bit n i have no probs going to a local venue n listening to whatever format they play tunes on . been to a couple in my neck of the woods who play only original vinyl n some of it real floor killers if the folks want to hear a so called big tune how the hell can promoters afford the so called half of them up their own arse big name djs in small local venues. And now to the record collectors you go out pay x amount for a tune then try to be a dj n play to your own egos n kill the dance floor.if you want original stick to the big nighters where they can afford big names or get your arses to bidds great place by the way . so come on give the girl a break coz she has a great collection ive seen em and my mate jelly bean go girl go she aint half bad on the decks either

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

i actually know the girl dj involved and come on lads n lasses doz she really need all the crap being dished out. ive seen her play a set n beleive me she aint half bad . Gets arses on the danfloor anyway. So what is this big crime, a small local venue, she was booked to get folks dancing did that wasnt competing with a big name dj or record collector so whats the prob.Me i get about a bit n i have no probs going to a local venue n listening to whatever format they play tunes on . been to a couple in my neck of the woods who play only original vinyl n some of it real floor killers if the folks want to hear a so called big tune how the hell can promoters afford the so called half of them up their own arse big name djs in small local venues. And now to the record collectors you go out pay x amount for a tune then try to be a dj n play to your own egos n kill the dance floor.if you want original stick to the big nighters where they can afford big names or get your arses to bidds great place by the way . so come on give the girl a break coz she has a great collection ive seen em and my mate jelly bean go girl go she aint half bad on the decks either

Why not play them then? :lol:

Social source share

No need to Chalky. My views are well known. I'm not particularly bothered these days at Soul nights, but it's originals only for all nighters. Simple way to avoid playing bootlegs is don't put any in the play box :lol:

I'm happy with my own view on this, and if other people are happy with their view, let them get on with it. The only thing I'd add is that promoters should make a decision and stick to it, about booking DJs who play boots, irregardless of whether it means they won't get bookings on a return basis.

Hi Dave full of respect mate :lol: I don't mean to put you on the spot with this but look how many times we have Discussed this , Look at the advise you have always given me and trust me I will use :D and I truly know your views and points on this subject. We can go on and on and on and like I've already stated to me I can not understand about this soul club and allnighter thing My views no matter where you are playing it should not be this soul club or allnighter thing ! yet again I notice this allnighter originals only policy But there is one resident at an allnighter who is a exception I've been told , like I say one rule for one , one rule for another and at this point No disrespect to that DJ what so Ever .

Everybody as their own Views on this, In future I will keep mine to myself , you either DJ with Boots or Originals thats up to you all , I will put my views to sleep Now , No Matter what we say we can not stop anyone from DJing and Playing Boots even if it is The Fourtops On a Yesterday year label. This as been very enjoyable reading and top Thread. As What I'm used to " Court Rise " :yes:

Edited by Hitsville Chalky
Social source share

Please forgive my ignorance :lol: ..but not being a collector , but love to dance,does the sound differ from

original to non-original :lol: ??...this is a serious question.

According to some people on here, they can tell the difference between most boots and originals without even seeing the record.

Like hell they can.

Social source share

Full of respect Ed :lol:

Social source share

Earlier on in this topic i said i`d read only two decent quotes in all of this i`d now like to change that to three :lol: Another voice of reason

Social source share

Oh no.... ffs don't add that into the mix as well..... please :lol: , we'll never get to the end of this (on its way to rival War & Peace already)!

:yes::D

Say one thing though, ain't seen 'Freebasing' so empty for a long while !! biggrin.gif

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

playing what the folks wanted probly :yes:

If a collection is that good then you can still 'play what folks want' without resorting to a spot comprising mainly boots. :lol:

Social source share

According to some people on here, they can tell the difference between most boots and originals without even seeing the record.

Like hell they can.

:lol: Apart from the few obvious ones.

There are a fair few originals that could do with a re-mix too !!

Social source share

If a collection is that good then you can still 'play what folks want' without resorting to a spot comprising mainly boots. :lol:

all i can say to you mate is get a life ok you wernt even there you dont know the girl so dont comment

Social source share

This was posted in freebasing yesterday, it's pretty accurate

'Soulsource in association with 'Get a Life' promotions and 'Chin Strokers-R-Us' present a night of Northern and Rare Soul.'

Only Quality and Original vinyl played by the top Dj's on the scene at a fantastic venue - to include No dancefloor (not required) and a hourly quiz called 'Guess the Matrix number'.

*Important Note*

All vinyl played at the above has been certified and passed in advance by the SoulSource membership as 100% genuine and original.

All Dj's entering the venue have had thier playlists and boxes checked by the Soul police for all known copies of illegal footwear.

All Vinyl to be played at the above will be open for inspection at the end of the evening (Magnifying glasses will be available on request).

A free set of Stocks and basket of large stones will also be available for the first 100 people through the door as well as a free record (not CD of course) of popular SS chants including "Burn the bitch", "Kill the Heritic", "Make it into an Ashtray" and lots of other great SS classics.

Venue has a large cloakroom with a 200 anorack capacity and cheap bar prices, ie only £1.50 to refill your flask of tea and 50p for a pack of Egg and Cress sandwiches (made with free-range Eggs)

Social source share

'Soulsource in association with 'Get a Life' promotions and 'Chin Strokers-R-Us' present a night of Northern and Rare Soul.'

Only Quality and Original vinyl played by the top Dj's on the scene at a fantastic venue - to include No dancefloor (not required) and a hourly quiz called 'Guess the Matrix number'.

*Important Note*

All vinyl played at the above has been certified and passed in advance by the SoulSource membership as 100% genuine and original.

All Dj's entering the venue have had thier playlists and boxes checked by the Soul police for all known copies of illegal footwear.

All Vinyl to be played at the above will be open for inspection at the end of the evening (Magnifying glasses will be available on request).

A free set of Stocks and basket of large stones will also be available for the first 100 people through the door as well as a free record (not CD of course) of popular SS chants including "Burn the bitch", "Kill the Heritic", "Make it into an Ashtray" and lots of other great SS classics.

Venue has a large cloakroom with a 200 anorack capacity and cheap bar prices, ie only £1.50 to refill your flask of tea and 50p for a pack of Egg and Cress sandwiches (made with free-range Eggs)

pmsl

Social source share

Tony

THAT ABOUT SUMS IT UP MATE! :lol:

Oi!!,dont fetch baggy`s into this.........or cant ya`wear then now.

Social source share

*Important Note*

:lol::yes::Dtongue.gif:lol: .....JB XXX

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

all i can say to you mate is get a life ok you wernt even there you dont know the girl so dont comment

Eddy mate, I agree, I wasn't there, neither were the vast majority of the 300+ contributors to this debate. I was not making comments directly about the spot per se; I was making the point that if a DJ has a 'good collection' then he/she can more than please most people without resorting to a mainly boot-based spot.

I was trying to add my perspective to this debate, an open forum to which I have contributed for around 5 years, and which is far better off for considered discussion and sustainable points of view than quick-tempered, ill-conceived 'flaming'.

If anyone has to resort to the 'get a life' level of contribution, then I don't think they need to tell me not to comment!

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

:lol: ..........JB XXXXX

Social source share

Eddy mate, I agree, I wasn't there, neither were the vast majority of the 300+ contributors to this debate. I was not making comments directly about the spot per se; I was making the point that if a DJ has a 'good collection' then he/she can more than please most people without resorting to a mainly boot-based spot.

I was trying to add my perspective to this debate, an open forum to which I have contributed for around 5 years, and which is far better off for considered discussion and sustainable points of view than quick-tempered, ill-conceived 'flaming'.

If anyone has to resort to the 'get a life' level of contribution, then I don't think they need to tell me not to comment!

i stand by my comments :lol:
Social source share