• Replies 749
  • Views 48.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Tough shi... :yes:

No I wouldn't say that Steve, I'm not that argumentative.

Wrong again? What's your problem? Blades won didn't they? :lol:

This bas*ard is the bain of my life. :lol:

55568232li7.jpg

I've been getting the IPS error notice today as well Ian. I assume of course that is what you are referring to as the bane of your life............................ ? :lol:

Social source share

Its all down to the promoters they book the djs,if you only want to here good djs playing original vinyl that dont repeat the same old stuff nite after nite be selective in were you go.Once you have been to a venue that is not to your taste dont go again there are plenty of good venues to support.But at the end of the day the buck for anything that happens at a venue stops with the promoter.

I`ve chose two posts out of all of this that make any sense to me, this is the second, applause to you sir for a sensible post, has the promotor of the event in question, replied to defend his decision to book this dj or is it all to be on the poor lady in question :lol:

Social source share

With regards these copright laws, isn't (or wasn't) there some sort of law where DJs should "log" all records played ? Seem to remember Frank Elson doing an article about it yonks ago

If a PRS researcher comes to your gig they will want to know

Title of track, Artist, (famous version by!), mix/remixdetails, additional info

They do not ask for label or date of release.

If you are on radio you are supposed to log or tape and keep details for certain length of time.

Just to be clear, well-known DJ can play a carver because he has (previously) unreleased track on CD. If I turned up with my original vinyl but it was a bit worn, it would be OK for me to play track on CD? N0-one would laugh or leave in a huff?

No, didn't think so!
:lol::lol::lol:

Social source share

yawn yawn yawn ...... couldn't really care what format a tune a tune is played on, its 2008, the record collectors days earning money djing, are over,step aside, let the real dj's take the stage !

big expensive tunes, don't make you a dj.

as a paying punter most of my life, i really don't give a ****

Social source share

yawn yawn yawn ...... couldn't really care what format a tune a tune is played on, its 2008, the record collectors days earning money djing, are over,step aside, let the real dj's take the stage !

Decent dj's still get decent money (sometimes) though.

Who are these real dj's you speak of?

Social source share

:lol:

Who Chalks? KevH? Seen them do what?

I don't know KevH , That's another one I've heard recently that if its a soul club it does not matter about Playing Boots but at an Allnighter it's originals only and they won't get away with it , well some time ago in the west mids there was a certain DJ booked at A venue who played boots after boots of all expensive good sounds of Northern , He was getting slagged of by one Member stating it was not fair for the later DJ going on after Him who as the originals and payed a lot of money for them I Had to agree with that , then a few weeks later he tells me there's the right place to play Originals and soul clubs don't count , so why did he slag him off in the first place. It seams to me one rule for one and one for another and it's about clicky clicky mates.

Social source share

Decent dj's still get decent money (sometimes) though.

Who are these real dj's you speak of?

Quite, and who are these 'real soulies'? Have they passed a test to make sure they're not fake? Has someone looked at their matrix numbers to check?

If this person has experience and knowledge of the soul scene (assuming that's what being a 'real soulie' means) then surely they know that playing boots is going to meet with criticism from quite a lot of people?!

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

Its all down to the promoters they book the djs,if you only want to here good djs playing original vinyl that dont repeat the same old stuff nite after nite be selective in were you go.Once you have been to a venue that is not to your taste dont go again there are plenty of good venues to support.But at the end of the day the buck for anything that happens at a venue stops with the promoter.

You are so right Andy

Social source share

Quite, and who are these 'real soulies'? Have they passed a test to make sure they're not fake? Has someone looked at their matrix numbers to check?

If this person has experience and knowledge of the soul scene (assuming that's what being a 'real soulie' means) then surely they know that playing boots is going to meet with criticism from quite a lot of people?!

As I left the scene for some time and then came back does that make me a re-issue :lol:

QoFxx

Social source share

I don't know KevH , That's another one I've heard recently that if its a soul club it does not matter about Playing Boots but at an Allnighter it's originals only and they won't get away with it , well some time ago in the west mids there was a certain DJ booked at A venue who played boots after boots of all expensive good sounds of Northern , He was getting slagged of by one Member stating it was not fair for the later DJ going on after Him who as the originals and payed a lot of money for them I Had to agree with that , then a few weeks later he tells me there's the right place to play Originals and soul clubs don't count , so why did he slag him off in the first place. It seams to me one rule for one and one for another and it's about clicky clicky mates.

Was at an allnighter this weekend where apart from so called Digitised/remastered whatevers, this particular dj also played the re-issue Girl across the Street. the one on the b side to Try My Love, to some it may not matter to others it does. I'm not against the occasional boot but I do expect highly paid so called top djs to play originals, especially when they have so called'reputatons'.

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

I was the later dj and yes the dj b4 me played some of my big 45's off boots and no i am not going to name him so don't ask there's no point

Social source share

:lol::lol::lol:

Social source share

I agree girls playing pressings anyone playing pressings IS a disgrace ,a bleedin piss take .

There are too many 'DJs' these days , why does everyone feel the need to be a 'DJ' ?

Girls!!! playing pressings aye!!?? :lol: i don,t :( but also i do not have a problem with it if they do play em!!! I know some blokes that play em aswell......you seem to be losing the plot :yes: if the floors rammed who gives a F**K!!!! :lol: ......JB

nice one jb girl power eh :lol: n i will be f***ed if im gonna run up to the dj to check what he or shes playing who cares as long as the tune ok

Edited by eddyg
Social source share

look at all the peeps looking at this thread, it's like feeding time at the zoo!

no offence meant to any animal, mamal, insect living or dead..... just saying

maybe thats because a lot of us find it interesting, others funny and still others have a morbid curiosity, clearly it has touched a nerve, has the original poster been back on since the start? cause it his fault, haha

Edited by bridget
Social source share

maybe thats because a lot of us find it interesting, others funny and still others have a morbid curiosity, clearly it has touched a nerve, has the original poster been back on since the start? cause it his fault, haha

i think he'll get a shock when he sees what he's started.... or may be not?

he atleast deserves and award for filling in an otherwise boring (ish) sunday night.

Social source share

I was the later dj and yes the dj b4 me played some of my big 45's off boots and no i am not going to name him so don't ask there's no point

Do you guys ever discuss what you are planning to play? I would say that the 'headline DJ' gets first refusal and that originals take priority (that's if anyone ever has the nerve to try playing a boot again after all this!!). I always think it's pretty bad etiquette to rip off someone else's set.

Social source share

Do you guys ever discuss what you are planning to play? I would say that the 'headline DJ' gets first refusal and that originals take priority (that's if anyone ever has the nerve to try playing a boot again after all this!!). I always think it's pretty bad etiquette to rip off someone else's set.

i for one will not play a pressing or even a re-issues if i know that any of the dee-jays on the same night as me has an original.

but if i know they haven't then if it's appropriate then i'll play it.

that seems a fair etiquette to me.

anyone else?

Social source share

But it was a female the original poster was complaining about.

And I think most people know who it is anyway?

Social source share

but loads of DJ's do it - especially when they know they have an original copy of the next guy's 'biggie'.

seen it countless times. I dont care about any of this but when I've been somewhere and someone plays a boot of a tune another DJ on later has an original of, I'll point it out and complain (in a nice & sarcastic way...) and wont go back again..

I need a life.

Jaynex.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Just watched Louis Theroux in San Quentin prison.

They took Loius down to the level 4 wing where all the worst prisoners are kept

Louis walks down the cells past the murderers, the rapists, the torturers and at the very end is a guy chained to a wall inside his cell for playing boots at Northern Soul Dos...

There are some right evil ba****ds in there.

Social source share

But it was a female the original poster was complaining about.

And I think most people know who it is anyway?

I know that some people on another forum (other forums are available) said they had a really good night and enjoyed her set.

Talking of really good nights . . . . . . good night!!!

Social source share

Just watched Louis Theroux in San Quentin prison.

They took Loius down to the level 4 wing where all the worst prisoners are kept

Louis walks down the cells past the murderers, the rapists, the torturers and at the very end is a guy chained to a wall inside his cell for playing boots at Northern Soul Dos...

There are some right evil ba****ds in there.

Did you see what they did to the guy who produced the boots :lol:

Was a good hours TV though

Social source share

i for one will not play a pressing or even a re-issues if i know that any of the dee-jays on the same night as me has an original.

but if i know they haven't then if it's appropriate then i'll play it.

that seems a fair etiquette to me.

anyone else?

Hello Mike, think the safest option is pull up 20+ originals, can't or shouldn't be difficult, then everybody's happy :lol:

Social source share

Hello Mike, think the safest option is pull up 20+ originals, can't or shouldn't be difficult, then everybody's happy :lol:

true pete but if a request for something i only have on a re-issue or pressing (and i have managed to replace most of those) then THAT'S the appropriate time because he/she is the paying punter. :lol:

Social source share

true pete but if a request for something i only have on a re-issue or pressing (and i have managed to replace most of those) then THAT'S the appropriate time because he/she is the paying punter. :boxing:

Mick , I agree with your last two post,if your not treading on any bodys toes then play em re- issues, boots are a no no but re-issues why not....but then again Im a much lower form of life biggrin.gif just a punter who loves the music

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Guest Leigh J

nice one jb girl power eh :boxing: n i will be f***ed if im gonna run up to the dj to check what he or shes playing who cares as long as the tune ok

Im not losing the plot but MY scene Is losing its identity , RARE SOUL for F***s sake not someone whos just spent a few quid on Rob Smiths stall .

What would the likes of Gilly and Blondie make of todays scene ?

THERE ARE TOO MANY CHANCERS AT THE DECKS , TOO MANY CHANCERS DOING SOUL NIGHTS TO TRY AND BE DJS .

Eventually it will kill the scene , call me what you want but it will , when these people realise that when they cant get any bookings other than at there own or there mates Do's theyll leave the scene .

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

Bloody hell, ive just caught up, Havnt you lot got your pensions to collect laugh.gif just kidding, keep it up, but you will never beat the 1st ska thread on here :D

Ps Original for me, not unless its a bootleg :boxing: ha ha

Pete Griff

Social source share