Japanese Collectors

:lol: First time on forum..been trying for some time but had problems with computer.

Does anybody know how and when the Japanese became involved in soul music, do they own recordings not yet known to the British collectors.

appreciate any info

Mark Spensley

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Mark!

I´ve asked one of our forum members (Tad, who is from Japan) about why soul music seems to be so popular in Japan, don´t really remember now exactly what he answered, but don´t think he had any one explanation as to why rare soul seems to be so popular over there. But he agreed that whenever you search the net for some very rare and elusive soul cut, you´re bound to end up on a page put up by a Japanese soul enthusiast! And whenever you hear that "someone just visited the store and bought 10 copies of the same album", well, that´s often a Japanese guy who has come to your country to buy some items that may be a bit easier to find in your country, but very rare in Japan. I remember once I sold a European-only Gwen McCrae album to a Japanese person, who was willing to pay any sum of money in order to get it. Anyway, as a whole I guess the Japanese are into soul music for more or less the same reason(s) as the British/European punters, whatever those reasons may be...

Yes, the Jappies own the rights to some of the very obscure stuff they put out, but there are also quite a number of bootlegs and cases where no mastertapes are used, instead copies being made of vinyl records that are digitalised.

Maybe not of much help, but at least I tried :thumbup:

Best,

Melismo

Social source share

:thumbup: First time on forum..been trying for some time but had problems with computer.

Does anybody know how and when the Japanese became involved in soul music, do they own recordings not yet known to the British collectors.

appreciate any info

Mark Spensley

I reckon there a more Soul collectors in Newton Aycliffe, Mark, than in Japan.

wink.gif

First I came across was late 70's (Hitoshi Ishaguru) who bought loads of Southern and deep things from me at the time.

The Japanese collectors, I've encountered, have a healthy obsession with Southern and indie / modern stuff, but I don't think they've anything like the number of 'fans' as we have in the UK... it's just that the ones that are out there are every bit as obsessive, or more so.

Remember being beaten to a Record sale, one Sunday morning in California, by three Japanese guys. Felt sure they must have stripped all the Fame & Goldwax off the shelves before I got there.

Was relieved to find they were into Kiss & Queen and had never heard of James Carr... or Spencer Wiggins!

:ohmy:

Social source share

Does anybody know how and when the Japanese became involved in soul music,

Soul records were released over here back in the 60's***, as they were elsewhere all over the world. People heard them, some really liked them, and they then wanted to hear more...simple. Yes there are also some US Military bases over here too, but their influence via Forces radio and imported discs was very limited. Some collectors were also frequenting/communicating with the States buying up vinyl back in the early 70's, and are still active today. There is a hard-core nucleus of collectors still, but Sean is actually probably correct with his, 'there are more Soul collectors in Newton Aycliffe, than in Japan' comment.

I am writing a more comprehensive piece on the Soul collectors and Northern Soul scene over here, but am still working on it three years down the line!

:thumbup:

*** - I collect them avidly and will be creating several pages featuring them on AnoraksCorner.com one day.

Social source share

The Japanese scene is quite small these days isn't it for collecting? I don't mean when Keb goes over there.

I understood there were some prolific collectors in the 70s and 80s and indeed at one time I think Soul Bowl had a seperate Japanese list (would have loved to have seen one of those!)....but these days I am told it is fairly quiet? :D

Social source share

Soul records were released over here back in the 60's***, as they were elsewhere all over the world. People heard them, some really liked them, and they then wanted to hear more...simple. Yes there are also some US Military bases over here too, but their influence via Forces radio and imported discs was very limited. Some collectors were also frequenting/communicating with the States buying up vinyl back in the early 70's, and are still active today. There is a hard-core nucleus of collectors still, but Sean is actually probably correct with his, 'there are more Soul collectors in Newton Aycliffe, than in Japan' comment.

I am writing a more comprehensive piece on the Soul collectors and Northern Soul scene over here, but am still working on it three years down the line!

:lol:

*** - I collect them avidly and will be creating several pages featuring them on AnoraksCorner.com one day.

I've just got a nice mint Japanese copy of "Whispers" Jackie Wilson come through the door.

Social source share

They usually appear out of the woodwork when something very rare comes up for sale. In my experience they tend to go more for deep and southern. And tend to have very good taste in soul music.

Didn't whole warehouses of 45s used to get shipped over to japan by collectors in the early days ?

Hitoshi must have one of the best collections out there. His blog is stunning.

Social source share

i think the japanese just love western music (no not rawhide before someone says it !)....years ago as a teen collecting punk and two tone there were often jap imports all over the place,the jam were massive over there....

back in the 90s i knew a reggae dealer buying up sound system collections in ja and making a mint selling them to the japenese ...

not sure how it started or what genre was first but i suppose they dont have the prejudices some of our kids have...they just love good music

Social source share

Cant dance can they :lol: nice revival of baggie kecks tho` :rolleyes:

With all due respect that clip is of a Mod night, and we all know that Mods can't dance inna proper Norvern way, can they?! (Dons crash helmet, runs for cover and awaits the flak hehehe!)

The real (only) Northern Soul collectors over here (count them on your hands) are down in the Kansai region, have nearly all sampled the UK scene, and know the score (and collect/DJ with originals only)...but they all dress and dance just like Keb (hehehe!).

Social source share

With all due respect that clip is of a Mod night, and we all know that Mods can't dance inna proper Norvern way, can they?! (Dons crash helmet, runs for cover and awaits the flak hehehe!)

The real (only) Northern Soul collectors over here (count them on your hands) are down in the Kansai region, have nearly all sampled the UK scene, and know the score (and collect/DJ with originals only)...but they all dress and dance just like Keb (hehehe!).

Hey Dave , have you met up with the Rythmic Freedom gang yet ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert