Zz & Co - Gettin Ready For The Getdown

Cunnie

Seems that every time I look through a sales box recently I see a copy of ZZ & Co for about £200 & every time I ask about it the seller say's it came directly from the label owner.

Pretty sure that they're are 2 different presses of this as well as can remember some pretty heated debate on here a couple of years ago that even included the label owner himself.

Boots? Originals? 2nd presses? Anybody shed any light on the topic?

Can also remember an old mate having a green copy with silver writing on Columbus years ago.

Never seen or heard of another green un.

Anybody help?

Social source share

• Replies 49
  • Views 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

there are two presses. Off top of me head is it the matrix in run out, one longer than t'other?

Trying to remember back Chalky but I think your not far off.... bit of an additon to info on the "boot"....

When I say "boot" I mean I haven't heard owt "concrete" otherwise to suggest "legal" in any way....

Sold mine on quite a few years ago so can't have a look at the matrix....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Trying to remember back Chalky but I think your not far off.... bit of an additon to info on the "boot"....

When I say "boot" I mean I haven't heard owt "concrete" otherwise to suggest "legal" in any way....

Sold mine on quite a few years ago so can't have a look at the matrix....

Just been on popsike looking under ZZ & Co & ZZ & Company as well & it don't help much Mark.

Seems old Zee Zee had e'm in his garage, loft, attic, kitchen, swimming pool etc.

Not only that but when it's played on this side o't pond shouldn't we call it Zed Zed & Co rather than Zee Zee :lol:

Social source share

Just been on popsike looking under ZZ & Co & ZZ & Company as well & it don't help much Mark.

Seems old Zee Zee had e'm in his garage, loft, attic, kitchen, swimming pool etc.

]Not only that but when it's played on this side o't pond shouldn't we call it Zed Zed & Co rather than Zee Zee :( [/color}

Depends on the length of growth on us chins at the time or how far shut us eyes were... :lol: ....

Wasn't actually aware that "sum" came from the "label owner" as you say.... or that wouldn't be that old chestnut of "vynilcarvers" with a "photostat" stuck on would it :yes: ....

Reminds me of that "lil old peddler" chap on evil bay :lol: ....

Social source share

ACTUALLY A VERY RARE ORIGINAL. 99% OF THE COPIES THAT ARE TURNING UP OF LATE ARE THE EARLY 80T'S RE PRESS. BOUGHT MINE YEARS AGO OFF JM, LATE 80T'S HE TOLD ME THAT AT THE TIME HE HAD A FEW ORIGINALS ABOUT TEN YEARS PREVIOUSLY AND ONLY TWO OR THREE HAD EVER COME BACK TO HIM.

BRI PINCH.

Social source share

Z.Z. and Company - Gettin Ready - Columbus

Authentic Original! Quick check in case you own

the inferior sound quality counterfeit.

THE ORIGINAL deadwax has a deeply scratched matrix

reading MRP/FR-JB - 51679 -"GRFTG" - Re2 .

COUNTERFEIT Lightly scratched matrix FRJB - 51679 - A .

then half a turn TLP. Surely the original with strong

sound quality is the only 45 worth owning.

Lifted from a previous JM SS posting

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Let's not forget the LP version too (Bound Sound)!

Played it out a few times over the years to good effect.

:thumbup:

Sean

I want that ALBUM !!!!!!!

:ohmy:sad.gif

Social source share

I want that ALBUM !!!!!!!

:(:(

I think a few people are after it Gav, your gonna hate this but i sold a copy to that nice Mr Goucher at essence a few years ago now for £20 i think,and before you ask i haven't got another one apart from the one in my collection which ain't going nowhere.

Andy Mann

Social source share

Z.Z. and Company - Gettin Ready - Columbus

Authentic Original! Quick check in case you own

the inferior sound quality counterfeit.

THE ORIGINAL deadwax has a deeply scratched matrix

reading MRP/FR-JB - 51679 -"GRFTG" - Re2 .

COUNTERFEIT Lightly scratched matrix FRJB - 51679 - A .

then half a turn TLP. Surely the original with strong

sound quality is the only 45 worth owning.

Lifted from a previous JM SS posting

This is correct :D

I have one of each at Plumb Towers as we speak! JM has confirmed it too!

The copies that turned up recently (think they were actually originals) came from Clarkey who rang Jesse Butler (lead singer of Z Z & Co) asking about his in-demand LP (the one talked about above), only to be told he had none BUT he had a box of 'that 45 you Brits used to buy' back in the 80's!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian knocked them out at yarmouth last year for a ton each if memory serves?

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

This is correct thumbsup.gif

The copies that turned up recently (think they were actually originals) came from Clarkey who rang Jesse Butler (lead singer of Z Z & Co) asking about his in-demand LP (the one talked about above), only to be told he had none BUT he had a box of 'that 45 you Brits used to buy' back in the 80's!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Steve

Hello

I recently bought one of these "Zee Zee's Attic Finds" from Ian Clarke - £100 - on looking at the matrix, it is the second set of markings as described above ...

Lightly scratched matrix FRJB - 51679 - A .

then half a turn TLP.

So if that marking is a counterfeit, does that mean that Jesse Butler did them, making them Legal ???

I'm confused.

Cheers

Mick

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

I think a few people are after it Gav, your gonna hate this but i sold a copy to that nice Mr Goucher at essence a few years ago now for £20 i think,and before you ask i haven't got another one apart from the one in my collection which ain't going nowhere.

Andy Mann

Social source share

This is correct thumbsup.gif

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Steve

mine came from clarkey but looking at the run out and from the info on here its not an original ???? and i asked him to confirm that it was on original B4 i sent the cheque .... will have to ask for a refund !

cheers

david

Social source share

Hello Cunnie,

The deadwax info on the original is :

MRP/FR--JB-51679-GRFTG then a 25mm gap, then a letter B encased by a letter C.

Under the label there is a slightly raised 4mm wide ridge that passes through the large middle sail on the ship logo.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

pottsy

ps

can anyone help with any info on the reissue of the VISE 45 on Chocolate Mama Records. Been told they don't have the address round the bottom of the label. Would be interested to know the markings in the deadwax.

post-2021-1200693775_thumb.jpg

Edited by pottsy
Social source share

How about turning the relevant information in this thread into an entry in the "Sharp End Of Vinyl" sub-forum?

Has anyone got scans/photos of the different matrix markings?

:shades:

Hoping to achieve this, However, my Mod permissions only in "Sharp End Of Vinyl"

Be good to archive this thread. I'm on to it.

Social source share

Never seen that Martin...

Are you sure it wasn't the dodgy lights in the KGB?

Who had it BTW?

(I want one)

100% sure it wasn't the lights Sean.

Have even played the green copy myself but it was in the early 80s.

Have pm'd you some more info on it.

Social source share

Spoke to Ian Clarke last night and he sent this email and i said i would post it for him...... both yellows are original but they were pressed in different pressing plants , as many US 45's are ......

hi johns book is wrong..sorry these copies came direct from jesse butlers attic in upper new york..they were made years ago and he knows

as they are his 45s..i spoke to john m only last week on another matter ..and put him right on the mistake....infact according to jesse the deep numbered ones are the latter press..bar a month or so ..both were done by jesse himself..

hope that solves the question

best ian

Social source share

Oh dear, Dose this mean that many people have sold copies that they thought were boots for cheap.

Look at it from the other side though.

The people who were buying what they thought were 2nd issues have got bargains.

Only problem is that the folks who bought what they thought were originals have ended up with the 2nd press.

Who's right then, Manship or Clarkie???

Social source share

if you see both the two presses together its so so obvious which is real and which is not.

the other presses that came from jesse butler maybe wernt made at the time. "getdown"

was issued in 1979. In 1981 richard searling played it on hallam then stated he had no idea

who ZZ was. he thought it was possibly ZZ hill so it looks to me that jesse hadnt been found

at that point. i reckon he had them repressed up when they found him. all i remember seeing

is the ones with the longer matrix and better sound quality ( i bought one myself). its only been

in recent years that ive seen these other copies and now every one i know has one of em

dave

Social source share

I have played the record out 2 or 3 times now and re the sound issue I have not had to adjust the mixer volume up from the last record I played on that deck ????

I double checked with Ian B4 I sent my money and talked to Max Rees about it, he informed me that teddyalbert was Ian and that he has no history of any scams with bootlegs or re presses and knows and buys from many of the artists and producers of the records and not just from dealers in the US ...... with that reputation and that reference from a man I trust 100% I sent the money .........

after my phone chat with Ian on Friday night , I have no worries about the ZZ&CO 45 I have..... and if anyone is unsure then pick up the phone to Ian and put your mind at rest .... negative comments may come from people that have the other issue as they would have paid 2 or 3 time the price , but as that is a harder to find issue it will hold its price :thumbsup:

Edited by CAMBRIDGE SOUL
Social source share

i dont doubt clarky`s integrity at all anymore than say manship, pat brady or tim brown.

and if he did get them from zz himself thats fair enough. they might be "real" just not

"original" if you know what i mean. i dont think its quite an elijah cole scenario with zz

but u know what time does to the memory. reference the sound quality, the longer matrix

is louder but the shorter matrix aint exactly lp fidelity.

dave

Social source share

It puts a question mark on the quality of the first press if this is the case and maybe they were withdraw due to this lack in volume.

I have put a sound clip up of the long matrix but it's is in Mono from Refosoul so no direct comparison as yet.

It all sounds a bit The Pages to me.

I have played the record out 2 or 3 times now and re the sound issue I have not had to adjust the mixer volume up from the last record I played on that deck ????

Unless you can compare both copies back to back this makes no sense every record has a different volume especially 70ts stereo they seem to be half the volume of a good mono 60ts record

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

It puts a question mark on the quality of the first press if this is the case and maybe they were withdraw due to this lack in volume.

I have put a sound clip up of the long matrix but it's is in Mono from Refosoul so no direct comparison as yet.

It all sounds a bit The Pages to me.

The Pages ? the pages boot was a boot and the original was the original ... that one's simple compared to this !!!! :thumbsup: ..... i see no reason not to take Ian at his word

all the best

David

Social source share

also why if the shorter matrix was withdrawn is there stacks of them and the longer matrix

still a very rare item. when i compared both copies together my gut reaction was that the

shorter matrix was a boot. they just look or even feel :lol: shabbier than the long matrix IMVHO

dave

no one said the shorter matrix copy was withdraw ????? i have had both copies in my hands this week and apart from the matrix number you could not tell them apart ???? as for stacks of them i think Ian Said the box had about 50 in.......not stacks...... these threads can make things sound awful ! so now the short matrix looks shabby ... feels low quality .... the sound quality is that bad it's off the scale :huh: .... when in fact without looking at the matrix you can not tell them apart ! :D

all the best

David

Edited by CAMBRIDGE SOUL
Social source share

no one said the shorter matrix copy was withdraw ????? i have had both copies in my hands this week and apart from the matrix number you could not tell them apart ???? as for stacks of them i think Ian Said the box had about 50 in.......not stacks...... these threads can make things sound awful ! so now the short matrix looks shabby ... feels low quality .... the sound quality is that bad it's off the scale :lol: .... when in fact without looking at the matrix you can not tell them apart ! :huh:

all the best

Davidpo

Hey Dave

Interested in what you have to say mate - but them big letters fook my brain up!

:D

Social source share

a good point stevie. bearing in mind the release was only 18 m0nths old when first spun

and a little later they discovered jesse. when he discovered it was being played in the uk

he had more copies pressed up. the only difference on the label is the extra _ on the matrix

but the vynil not only with the much longer matrix looks totally different to me with much

darker grooves and considerably shorter run out groove

dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert