Lou Johnson

Guest mobbsy

I heard a story a few years back that Lou Johnson was invited to perform in the U.K but was scared of flying. Now found out he is living as a recluse !! Its a shame, love to he him perform!!!!!

Social source share

• Replies 43
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

He lives in Cypress, California, a suburb in Orange County (Same town Eddie Cochran's buried in), near where I grew up.

A local former garage musician named Tracy Sands (a friend) keeps urging me to come meet him.

Says he's a swell guy.

But I dont think he's a recluse. It might be his health... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Did Lou ever bring out an Lp on BigTop??? I remember in the mid 8ts someone had a test pressing lp (i think) but never seen a released lp on the BigTop label for sale. any ideas folks?

greg

Lou Johnson would be perfect for a weekender....lots of quality material.

Social source share

Did Lou ever bring out an Lp on BigTop??? I remember in the mid 8ts someone had a test pressing lp (i think) but never seen a released lp on the BigTop label for sale. any ideas folks?

greg

As far as I can remember Lou onlu had the one lp - a 70's release, but defo not a Bigtop release.. although I, too, seem to recollect rumour of a 'Test' Bigtop Lp - seem to connect a conversation with Craig Butler at The Wilton ballroom a few years back!?!

Wasn't it Andy Rix who originally tracked Lou Down? and Ady wanted him for Cleethorpes but because of health issues he didn't feel up to the journey???

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

Guest posstot

greg

I agree, and guess what? Cleethorpes this year...Don't quote me...although i was at the sure shot club in notts and I seem to remember Roger Banks saying he was on there!!!! best thing to do to confirm this is ask Ady Crosdale.

I got a Bit excited and went to the toilet after that! Regards Mike

Social source share

Guest posstot

Yes, there is a Big Top LP in existance...only the one copy, mind.

It includes one nice mid-tempo track which doesn't appear on a 45 too.

Along with Roy Hamilton and Chuck Jackson, this guy is right up there in my estimation.

:lol:

A man after my own heart...

regards Mike

Social source share

I heard a story a few years back that Lou Johnson was invited to perform in the U.K but was scared of flying. Now found out he is living as a recluse !! Its a shame, love to he him perform!!!!!

You"d love to he him :lol: mobbsy please diverse as to how you would he him :yes:

Social source share

He lives in Cypress, California, a suburb in Orange County (Same town Eddie Cochran's buried in), near where I grew up.

A local former garage musician named Tracy Sands (a friend) keeps urging me to come meet him.

Says he's a swell guy.

But I dont think he's a recluse. It might be his health... :lol:

nice casual interview here

https://www.therighttrack.org.uk/lou_johnson.html

Social source share

nice casual interview here

https://www.therighttrack.org.uk/lou_johnson.html

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, it's amazing what's out there! I guess that's why this Forum is so good, the sharing of info and all that!

Anyway, just had to say that "Unsatisfied" is my favourite Northern Soul record of all time. From the day I first heard it at the Torch to now it still gives me goosebumps when i hear it.

After I had told some friends that I would have it played at my funeral, I later thought better of it as I felt my wife might not appreciate the message it conveyed! Decided therefore to replace it with "Reach out for Me" which runs it a close second.

Phatspinner

Social source share

Plans are afoot for Lou to visit but he's not keen on flying and there's a lot of work to be done yet.

The Big Top LP has one non 45 side which is brilliant , there's The Panic Is On acetate I've got and a couple of unissued ballads about on dodgy CDs. We're in touch with Big Top owners and are trying to sort a package out for Lou that will look after him well. The Big Top LP has a proper label but no cover as they didn't get that far.

Social source share

spoke to lou only the other week. he's not a recluse but doesn't like travel too much although he iskeen to get to the UK by whatever means. he'd love to chat to people over here. i'll get the ok and let you have his number if anyone wants it... but he's got no records (before you ask).

Social source share

Thanks posting for that one Munchkin :thumbsup: & in the words of the interviewer FANTASTIC ! :no:

He comes across as a really warm & friendly person !

Did i notice a little mistrust of the music industry in his words regarding any of his children becoming artists ?

Hope the Kent boys do get the LP sorted & help show him how well regarded he is among a good many people over here :thumbup: Certainly some of my alltime favourites amongst his catologue !

Really enjoyed listening to that interview ! :shhh:

Social source share

I heard a story a few years back that Lou Johnson was invited to perform in the U.K but was scared of flying.

Sadly also one of the main reasons why Aretha Franklin despite a long and very successful career (understatement...LOL) for a very long time refused to visit Europe, or any other continent for that matter, because she´s afraid of flying. And since 7/11 and the ever prevailing terrorist threat, even more soul artists (as people in general) have refused to go on international flights for fear of hijacking (skyjacking) and terrorist attacks causing planes to blow up... We live in a world of fear somehow.

Edited by djmelismo
Social source share

Yes, there is a Big Top LP in existance...only the one copy, mind.

It includes one nice mid-tempo track which doesn't appear on a 45 too.

Along with Roy Hamilton and Chuck Jackson, this guy is right up there in my estimation.

:lol:

thumbup.gif Hear, Hear, Mr Flynn!! :D Not forgettin' that other indelible 'big' voice: Tony Middleton :lol: Roy is my all time personal fave. :ohmy:

Who owns the Bigtop LP! :thumbup:

Social source share

As far as I can remember Lou onlu had the one lp - a 70's release, but defo not a Bigtop release.. although I, too, seem to recollect rumour of a 'Test' Bigtop Lp - seem to connect a conversation with Craig Butler at The Wilton ballroom a few years back!?!

Wasn't it Andy Rix who originally tracked Lou Down? and Ady wanted him for Cleethorpes but because of health issues he didn't feel up to the journey???

Lou had TWO general release LP's issued in the 60's , one on Cotillion and the other on Volt. Both excellent soul LP's and both well worth purchasing without hesitation.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert