1976 ... Are You Old Enough To Have Gone To This?

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just curious... anyone out there go to this?

post-1076-1199628426_thumb.jpg

" 1976 - Are You Old Enough To Have Gone To This ? " .......

Yes I did , and unfortunately I am old enough to have gone to most places ......

I went to the opening night when Cleethorpes Pier was refurbished .......

1906 :thumbsup:

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Yes I did , and unfortunately I am old enough to have gone to most places ......

1906 :thumbsup:

Malc Burton

You HAVE done your homework, knowing that it was burnt down in 1903. Or, were you REALLY there . . . . . . Macloud?

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Guilty as charged. :thumbsup:  ( Old enough? I was 20 at the time, thanks for reminding me Joanie! :D )

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

You HAVE done your homework, knowing that it was burnt down in 1903. Or, were you REALLY there . . . . . . Macloud?

That would be telling ......

No , my McCloud phase was at The Highlander Room :thumbsup: .........

Interest facts about Cleethorpes Pier ......

During WWII , the council cut a section out of the walkway , in case the Germans invaded the pier , to prevent them getting onto the promenade .....

Cleethorpes Pier is the shortest in the UK , at 335 feet .......

Soul Sam had the first deckchair franchise on the pier in 1873 .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Trevski

I was 10 :thumbsup:

Thanks (again) Joan! :D  Just need to WD40 me zimmer!

"It's not the age, it's the milage"

"Your only as old as the woman you feel"

Dunno who said the above, but they were bob on!

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

A bunch of us "Goolies" were there, I was almost 20 & Gail was just 18, we were at the very first one, the last one & carried on through with the Winter Gardens. It was unbelievable to hear the noise of clapping & stomping on the dancefloor as you approached the pier & then to feel it bounce & tremble under foot as you walked on it to the side entrance, such wonderful memories. :D

Remember this was really the first time the East had anything to rival the North West & the Midlands, this was our Wigan, Torch, Va-Va's etc & we loved & treasured it with a passion & I still get goosebumps thinking of it & remembering.

Take care, be safe & "Remember, remember member, remember, remember member",

Spot. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

sad to say iam, still got the poster somewhere,in the record room.

seems like last year.

came out in the morning and went to notts palis dayer i think.

some things have never changed even as a young un couldn't sleep at week ends hypo.gif

could'nt sleep?.....seems to have been a problem in those days as now......is this why allnighters were invented :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

funny old world ....two of us amigos were there...we used to stop at a village on the way named SWALLOW I kid you not. sold a demo of RAIN for £55 ..big money then :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Those were the days,Friday ...Gloucester to Brum.....to sheffield,back to Brum more often than not, back to Gloucester...back to Brum (or straight ? to cleethorpes) Via Graham Coates, next day Cats Whiskers (Burnley or Leeds ?)

How did we do it? nobody had a lot of cash those days but always seemed to come back with handfulls of sounds for Yate the next Weekend.

Steve

ha ha steve,don't think you went straight anywhere did you!...as I seem to remember :lol:

Social source share

A bunch of us "Goolies" were there, I was almost 20 & Gail was just 18, we were at the very first one, the last one & carried on through with the Winter Gardens. It was unbelievable to hear the noise of clapping & stomping on the dancefloor as you approached the pier & then to feel it bounce & tremble under foot as you walked on it to the side entrance, such wonderful memories. :D

Remember this was really the first time the East had anything to rival the North West & the Midlands, this was our Wigan, Torch, Va-Va's etc & we loved & treasured it with a passion & I still get goosebumps thinking of it & remembering.

Take care, be safe & "Remember, remember member, remember, remember member",

Spot. :)

Also there.Was this the night the World Column record was given out?.

For the very first all-nighter me and my mate Fid travelled to Grimsby to spend the day at Rick Todd's and after watching local rivals Grimsby Town along with Chris/Dick Jervis we all clamboured into a van and headed to the Goolie Vikings where Toddy and gang were doing a pier warm up night.Don't know if you were there Spot because i did not know you until the Pier got going,but if my memory serves me correct, Toddy and Co had been double booked with two strippers whom i think went home clothes and all intact.

After Viking's we went to Cleethorpes where the rest is history with fantastic memories and many never to be forgotton friendships.

Would also be nice to here from anyone else who went on the Northern Soul Humber Cruise with Ginger & Eddie behind the decks that night.

:huh:

Social source share

should have been there but got engaged on that day to sharon, (still married) celebrated our engagement at the Manchester Unity Club Beeston Notts instead.

oh I suddenly feel very old I was 23 Sharon was 18.

great memories, what would you give to be there again, those Cleethorpes tapes brought it all flooding back.

Edited by bridget
Social source share

Great DJ line-up LOL!

Fantastic days, great records and a phenomenal venue which we all REALLY looked forward to going to. All passion and enthusiasm with nary a gnat's hair of cynicism in sight. Good ole Mary!

Ian 'Frank' Dewhirst

Brill place the pier use to bounce allnight long ,pier not the same now tho [called progress lol ] thumbup.gif

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

1906 laugh.gif

Malc Burton

Malc your old enough to have seen the Pier built, along with yr opo Mr Newbold :P

Rick

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert