The 40 Essential Djs Of The Past 40 Years

Cunnie

Just been on the Blues & Soul website & I stumbled on this.

A list of the top 40 DJ's of the last 40 years on the British Black music scene.

Couple of guy's on the Northern & Modern scene get a mention & it's good to see site member Dr Bob Jones on the list (take a bow Dr Bob).

Also a couple that might raise a few eyebrows on here like Ian Levine, Russ Winstanley & Jazzie B & some that might surprise a few as well like Tony Blackburn & David Rodigan (sure Pete Smith will tell you more about Mr Rodigan).

Was wondering who you think should also be on the list if you had compiled it?

Soul Sam, 64 years young & still going strong.

Ady Croasdell, 100 club & Kent records.

Colin Curtis, goes way back to the Torch & still doing the Business on both the Northern & Modern scene.

Roger Williams, No one better at digging out the best new release Soul sounds.

Any more????

Here's the link.

https://www.bluesandsoul.com/feature/226/top_40_djs/

Social source share

• Replies 45
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

NO MENTION OF BUTCH AND MANY OTHERS WHO HAVE PUSHED THE BOUNDRIES OF RARE SOUL,I THINK THE LIST DOES NOT REPRESENT MUCH TO BE HONEST,DONT KNOW WHERE THE LIST IS PITCHED OR WHO ITS TARGETTING BUT IT HAS LITTLE TO DO THE PEOPLE I LOOK UP TO AND RESPECT AND THEREFORE DOES NOT WORK FOR ME.

THIS IS PURELY MY VIEW BUT HOW CAN YOU HAVE A LIST WITH RUSS WINSTANLY ON AND NOT BUTCH -ID SAY F--K ME GIVE IT A REST WILL YOU.

BAZ A wink.gif

THOUGHT THIS MAG WHICH I RESPECTED SO MUCH IN THE SEVNETIES HAD GONE UNDER?

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

Surprisingly I know absolute sod all about him apart from he's a middle aged white bloke who dj's at reggae soundclashes, and thats only cos I've seen him on youtube. Not my era y'see.

That soundclash you tube clip is priceless aint it, Pete ?

The Jamaicans in the background are killing themselves laughing when hes on the mic !!

Very popular over there tho..

Edited by Russ Smith
Social source share

I think this list is aimed at the Black Music club scene in general, and very London centred, which is what B&S has always really been aimed at rather than the Northern scene and therefore they have gone for groundbreaking or scene changing DJ's and to be fair, other than Russ who seems to be in there for his promotion rather than DJ'ing its a fair list although lots could be debated, particularly whether people like Oakenfold (who I don't rate) and Bobbi & Steve (who I do rate) were leaders or merely following on from others could be debated.

Agree with Martin its bizarre that have missed out Colin Curtis, probably far more influential than Levine overall if you had to choose, but probably both worthy of a place for what they did in their time.

Baz to be honest B&S haven't been aware of Northern for the last 20 years so Butch wouldn't be on their radar.

B&S has ceased to exist in printed medium but believe rumour has it they are trying to come back as online mag.

Social source share

THIS IS PURELY MY VIEW BUT HOW CAN YOU HAVE A LIST WITH RUSS WINSTANLY ON AND NOT BUTCH -ID SAY F--K ME GIVE IT A REST WILL YOU.

It's all down to individual opinions Baz, Russ Winstanley is way more important to me than Butch because he was one of the top dj's at a time which was the most important (and best) era for me personally. Always loved Russ's first spot 12.30 til 2am at Wigan. Nowadays he may be irrelevant in most peoples eyes but I'm talking about 30 odd years ago and so is this top 40.

Social source share

I think this list is aimed at the Black Music club scene in general, and very London centred, which is what B&S has always really been aimed at rather than the Northern scene and therefore they have gone for groundbreaking or scene changing DJ's and to be fair, other than Russ who seems to be in there for his promotion rather than DJ'ing its a fair list although lots could be debated, particularly whether people like Oakenfold (who I don't rate) and Bobbi & Steve (who I do rate) were leaders or merely following on from others could be debated.

Agree with Martin its bizarre that have missed out Colin Curtis, probably far more influential than Levine overall if you had to choose, but probably both worthy of a place for what they did in their time.

Baz to be honest B&S haven't been aware of Northern for the last 20 years so Butch wouldn't be on their radar.

B&S has ceased to exist in printed medium but believe rumour has it they are trying to come back as online mag.

GOOD POINTS JOCK

HOWEVER BLUES AND SOUL WAS STILL TRYING TO KEEP UP WITH THE NORTHERN SCNE WELL INTO THE NINETIES WITH PAT BRADYS BACK PAGE FOCUS ETC AND STILL PUTTING LISTS IN FROM DJS ,I HAD ONE PRINTED MYSELF FROM A SOUL NIGHT IN CATTERICK IN 97!I THINK AS THE MAG EVOLVED AND GOT A BIT MORE GLOSSY IN GENERALLY APPEALED MORE TO THE CROWD YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!

BAZ A

Social source share

Surprisingly I know absolute sod all about him apart from he's a middle aged white bloke who dj's at reggae soundclashes, and thats only cos I've seen him on youtube. Not my era y'see.

Sorry Pete, just had this picture in my mind of you stood at the back of a Rodigan gig shaking your head saying play some Dr Bird stuff laugh.gif

NO MENTION OF BUTCH AND MANY OTHERS WHO HAVE PUSHED THE BOUNDRIES OF RARE SOUL,I THINK THE LIST DOES NOT REPRESENT MUCH TO BE HONEST,DONT KNOW WHERE THE LIST IS PITCHED OR WHO ITS TARGETTING BUT IT HAS LITTLE TO DO THE PEOPLE I LOOK UP TO AND RESPECT AND THEREFORE DOES NOT WORK FOR ME.

BAZ A :(

THOUGHT THIS MAG WHICH I RESPECTED SO MUCH IN THE SEVNETIES HAD GONE UNDER?

Know what you mean about Winstanley & Butch but it is a review that covers 40 years & RW is still out there doing it (in a fashion!).

Must admit that it did seem very Southern biased but it was looking at the UK DJ soul scene in general.

Also thought Keb Darge might have scraped in as well.

As for B&S it finished in magazine style with issue 1000 but is still on line.

Edited by CUNNIE
Social source share

It's all down to individual opinions Baz, Russ Winstanley is way more important to me than Butch because he was one of the top dj's at a time which was the most important (and best) era for me personally. Always loved Russ's first spot 12.30 til 2am at Wigan. Nowadays he may be irrelevant in most peoples eyes but I'm talking about 30 odd years ago and so is this top 40.

POINT TAKEN PETE ! wink.gif

BAZ A

Social source share

It back and as you say online Jock

https://www.bluesandsoul.com/

I don't think Northern Soul has been on Blues and Soul's radar for the last 20 years let alone Butch. I stopped buying it years ago, read the odd page or so that featured northern in the newsagent if I was passing.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I HAD ONE PRINTED MYSELF FROM A SOUL NIGHT IN CATTERICK IN 97!

BAZ A

That's ELEVEN years ago though !

The problem with lists like this is it is aimed at a younger generation. I've been buying and listening to Black music for nigh on forty years now, as have the majority of the members of this forum, but I've never heard of at least a quarter of the DJs they name. Does that make it a good list ? In my eyes no, but in the eyes of someone aged twenty it's probably great. You have to question whether experience and knowledge should overcome youthful enthusiasm to make this a definitive list though.

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Agree with Jocko, some seem to be there for services to promotion rather than DJing, Chris Hill for example. I don't much about the London soul and R&B scene but Trevor Nelson? unsure.gif

Tim Westwood deserves his place on there. Maybe they should have called it top 40 most influential rather than DJs?

Social source share

Someone once said to me that Levine had the records and Curtis the taste.

I would have thought both would be in there along side Richard Searling. Not looked at the list yet is Keb in there?

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

Someone once said to me that Levine had the records and Curtis the taste.

I would have thought both would be in there along side Richard Searling. Not looked at the list yet is Keb in there?

Amazingly no mention of Mr Darge.

The Dreem Team are in there though ohmy.gif

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

the rare soul scene has always run independently of mainstream music, soul or otherwise,feck me,thats why we all love it....it's underground,or at least the good bits are. so these matter not a jot lists are worthless. Ian levine and russ winstanley ha! don't make me laugh,when levine was djing at the mecca there were so many tunes coming from the u.s a fool could'nt help but find the rare stuff.....The man is deffinately BUTCH because he found the tunes long before they were played. Even I can remember getting tunes like PAT and the BLENDERS the DELEGATES of SOUL in the mid 80t's from him,he's to darn good to be on any list with people like TIM WESTWOOD and CHRIS GOLDFINGER.......Let alone levine and winstanley.......BUTCH has a list all of his own because he's out on his own.

Social source share

That's ELEVEN years ago though !

The problem with lists like this is it is aimed at a younger generation. I've been buying and listening to Black music for nigh on forty years now, as have the majority of the members of this forum, but I've never heard of at least a quarter of the DJs they name. Does that make it a good list ? In my eyes no, but in the eyes of someone aged twenty it's probably great. You have to question whether experience and knowledge should overcome youthful enthusiasm to make this a definitive list though.

Sorry Dave but you are completely wrong there, most of those DJ's made there name in the 80's at the latest, only a couple in 90's and a couple later, very few young people would know them, as I say its based on the London club scene which I assume you have never frequented, not a dig there, just think we sometimes forget there is a huge world outside the Northern scene.

Matt think Chris Hill was probably a very influential DJ and most business people have said he has an ear for a tune that is often overlooked because of his commerciality, however to my knowledge his claim to fame is introducing swing nights in London, so its another one of those London things I would suggest.

Keb is an interesting one, I did keep buying B&S till it stopped and after a few very bad years it was slightly better, but still aimed at the teeny bopper market. however Keb or the Deep Funk thing generally never seemed to register, never thought about that till now.

Social source share

Sorry Dave but you are completely wrong there, most of those DJ's made there name in the 80's at the latest, only a couple in 90's and a couple later, very few young people would know them, as I say its based on the London club scene which I assume you have never frequented, not a dig there, just think we sometimes forget there is a huge world outside the Northern scene.

Matt think Chris Hill was probably a very influential DJ and most business people have said he has an ear for a tune that is often overlooked because of his commerciality, however to my knowledge his claim to fame is introducing swing nights in London, so its another one of those London things I would suggest.

Keb is an interesting one, I did keep buying B&S till it stopped and after a few very bad years it was slightly better, but still aimed at the teeny bopper market. however Keb or the Deep Funk thing generally never seemed to register, never thought about that till now.

So it's the definitive London Club scene list. Which means it's not relevant to anyone who didn't frequent the London Club scene. And to be honest nothing would horrify me more than having to frequent the London Club scene in the Eighties laugh.gif

Social source share

So it's the definitive London Club scene list. Which means it's not relevant to anyone who didn't frequent the London Club scene. And to be honest nothing would horrify me more than having to frequent the London Club scene in the Eighties :(

Basically thats what it is Dave, with a few token Northerner's thrown in, which to be honest I have always felt has been B&S's policy since I started reading it late 70's.

I do agree with others that these sort of lists are too subjective to be taken too seriously, but what it has done is got a section of the Northern scene debating B&S contents, when was the last time that happened, so probably its provvoked even more debat within London clubbers and in that case arguably its probably done what it set out to do! whistling.gif

Social source share

So it's the definitive London Club scene list. Which means it's not relevant to anyone who didn't frequent the London Club scene. And to be honest nothing would horrify me more than having to frequent the London Club scene in the Eighties laugh.gif

Nope, it claims to be "the 40 most influential DJs on the British black music scene from the last 40 years" no mention of London as a criteria for inclusion and I would imagine that many of the names mentioned haven't limited their DJing to particular geographical areas.

Let's be fair - the Northern or Rare Soul Scene obviously matters deeply to us on here, but is only a relatively small part of Black Music scene in the UK. This arguably subjective list reflects this fact and is fair enough - it has the names you'd expect to see.

Certainly nothing to get excited about.

Social source share

Ian levine and russ winstanley ha! don't make me laugh,when levine was djing at the mecca there were so many tunes coming from the u.s a fool could'nt help but find the rare stuff.....The man is deffinately BUTCH because he found the tunes long before they were played.

Thats right, levine never found anything did he. Oh I forgot, he discovered almost all of the records that the early northern scene was based on, thats all.

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Sam only 64 !!! who you trying to kid !! biggrin.gif:D:D:(

:lol: Sorry, you're a year out! He's been going down to the Post Office every Monday for the past 6 months, pension book in hand :lol: .

Brian :lol:

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

Guest recordman

:lol: Sorry, you're a year out! He's been going down to the Post Office every Monday for the past 6 months, pension book in hand :lol: .

Brian :lol:

And for sheer enthusiasm despite his years you gotta doff your cap to the Samster ... Come on lets be having yer ... Cant be bad !!!

Social source share

Thats right, levine never found anything did he. Oh I forgot, he discovered almost all of the records that the early northern scene was based on, thats all.

Not so early Pete.....some of us actually remember a very young and unknown Levine who used to carry Jebbs box into the Rose Room and Billy the Kid chinning him one night, that was a year or so before Ian realised the power and influence daddys wallet would have.....but he would be near the top of any list for his contribution. Lets face it, he had the $$$ wherewithall $$ when most were working for a fiver a week.

Heres a few :

Martin Ellis

Les Cockell

Brian Walker

John Vincent

Butch

Roger Eagle

Colin Curtis

Dave Evison

Ady Croasdell

Alan Day

Tony Jebb

Soul Sam (30 years ago)

Richard Searling

Russ (Everysound)Winstanley

Ian Levine (tnx to dads cash! but he earns his place)

:lol:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Their are so many DJs who have left their mark or played something to enlighten the ears of all of us.

Agree with Pete S about Russ - Today you wouldnt bat an eyelid if he played his usual set from 30 years ago but then it was sheer pleasure.

Colin Curtis was a silent partner at the Mecca as Ian got most of the tunes from his trips but Richards S was very versatile and recognised the changes in the scene an accomodated the developing tastes.

It would be an interesting thread if not already done to ask all DJs what record they discovered and to be honest about it- It would make interesting reading to say the least! :lol:

P.S Didnt know Joey negro was a top British DJ - Thought he was American!

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

Agree with Jocko, some seem to be there for services to promotion rather than DJing, Chris Hill for example.

whatever you might think of Chris hill, he has been a very large influence on many over the years, and certainly deserves to be on the list and pretty high up. everyone remembers him for the swing nights thing, but he was ploughing a furrow as a club DJ for many years before that, and many years after.

Social source share

P.S Didnt know Joey negro was a top British DJ - Thought he was American!

Not sure if you are joking here but just in case not, his real name is Dave Lee, and a real Londoner I think, a rare occurence enough. He used to have a passing interest in Northern, and for some reason when I met him he wanted to hear Freddie Chavez, another seen on the cheesy side but a very talented producer in his field, really intelligent sampler on some stuff, a bit ham fisted on others, a certain Dr Who fan could learn something off him on producing authentic sounding new music!

Another that wouldn't have thought was that influential as a DJ but certainly as music maker in the overall black music field he has been fairly influential, knows how to have a good time too!

Social source share

I agree that Richard Searling was amazing in his day. But wasn't that because a certain Mr. Anderson was feeding him the tunes? And come to think of it, wasn't John responsible for a lot of Mr. Levines tunes as well?.........In fact, most of the people that I have met that have fantastic collections, have got John Anderson to thank for them.

Social source share

I agree that Richard Searling was amazing in his day. But wasn't that because a certain Mr. Anderson was feeding him the tunes? And come to think of it, wasn't John responsible for a lot of Mr. Levines tunes as well?.........In fact, most of the people that I have met that have fantastic collections, have got John Anderson to thank for them.

Yeah and John was a DJ at some point . if memory serves me right . :lol:

Butch and Dave Raistrick have found some great tunes too

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Not sure if you are joking here but just in case not, his real name is Dave Lee, and a real Londoner I think, a rare occurence enough. He used to have a passing interest in Northern, and for some reason when I met him he wanted to hear Freddie Chavez, another seen on the cheesy side but a very talented producer in his field, really intelligent sampler on some stuff, a bit ham fisted on others, a certain Dr Who fan could learn something off him on producing authentic sounding new music!

Another that wouldn't have thought was that influential as a DJ but certainly as music maker in the overall black music field he has been fairly influential, knows how to have a good time too!

No Jock I wasnt joking - I think all the records Ive got by him are American releases thats why I thought he was American. You Live & learn

Social source share

Honestly I don't know weather my opinion should be taken or not, as I've never been on the british scene, but:

What about Guy Stevens, the Dj at The Scene in London, one of the first to get USA R&B imports, founder and manager of the UK Sue label and, for what I've read, the most important Dj in the Mod scene...

Cheers from Mexico,

Dante

Social source share

Searling

Sam

Brian Rae

MAW

Kev Edwards

John Peel

Francois Kevorkian

Robin Salter

Junior Vasquez

Tony Humphries

Larry Levan

Keb Darge

Curtis

Graeme Park

Persian

Levine

John Grant

Sister Bliss

Frankie Crocker

Billy Davidson

Pete Tong

Tiesto

Tony Blackburn

Afrika Bambaataa

Norman Cook

Todd Terry

Knuckles

Quentin Harris

Poke

LTJ Bukem

Chris Hill

Hippie Torrales

Justin Berkman

Bob Jones

Derrick May

Erick Morillo

Dave Lee

...not all what I would deem my personal choice but certainly people that manipulated an era, played stone-cold quality music, made a change or changed music's direction at their time.

Edited by Barry
Social source share

:lol: Ian without doubt contributed so much to the scene from1971,but the scene was well established well before Ian turned up don't believe everything you see in films.

Social source share

NO MENTION OF BUTCH AND MANY OTHERS WHO HAVE PUSHED THE BOUNDRIES OF RARE SOUL

BAZ A :yes:

Yeah, these rare Soul guys have pushed past anything that even resembles soul music.

Grungy R & B, cha-cha, rockabilly. They have the ability to clear a dancefloor faster

than a Soviet tank division, the only list they should be on is a maffia hit list.........

Chris L :lol:

Social source share

Ian levine and russ winstanley ha! don't make me laugh,when levine was djing at the mecca there were so many tunes coming from the u.s a fool could'nt help but find the rare stuff.....The man is deffinately BUTCH because he found the tunes long before they were played. BUTCH has a list all of his own because he's out on his own.

A lot of what got played in the 90T's by DJ's of that ilk (or is elk ;-) were already in

Ian Levines collection, thing they are so shitty records that they never got played.

Why would you when there were hundreds and hundreds top class Motownesque

records to play.

Chrs L

Social source share

Yeah, these rare Soul guys have pushed past anything that even resembles soul music.

Grungy R & B, cha-cha, rockabilly. They have the ability to clear a dancefloor faster

than a Soviet tank division, the only list they should be on is a maffia hit list.........

Chris L ph34r.gif

Chris, your post is ridiculous. Butch plays virtually all classic soul style records and your leader Mr Levine would concur with that. He doesn't clear dancefloors anywhere and that's why he's been rated as the top rare Northern Soul DJs for the last 15 years at least.

Social source share

A lot of what got played in the 90T's by DJ's of that ilk (or is elk ;-) were already in

Ian Levines collection, thing they are so shitty records that they never got played.

Why would you when there were hundreds and hundreds top class Motownesque

records to play.

Chrs L

Because not everyone wants Motownesque records all the time, because Ian Levine's taste was far from infallible, he has a much higher love of pop than most soul fans (as do I) and the records that went big through the 80s and 90s came from 100s of different sources, Ian's neglected collection was only one small part of it.

Social source share

Chris L ph34r.gif

SUPPOSE IT DEPENDS WHICH DANCE FLOOR YOUR TALKING ABOUT AND WHICH REFERNCE POINT YOU START AT,AGAIN A SUBJECTIVE OPINION,AN OPINION I DONT AGREE WITH ,AS FOR MAFIA HIT LISTS WASNT THAT THE MID EIGHTIES !

BAZ A

Social source share

Chris, your post is ridiculous. Butch plays virtually all classic soul style records and your leader Mr Levine would concur with that. He doesn't clear dancefloors anywhere and that's why he's been rated as the top rare Northern Soul DJs for the last 15 years at least.

Hallo Ady, well at least you're still talking to me (or is it talking to me ;-)

When ever I've been to a venue where he's played it been pretty dreadful,

last October at Stoke I thought he and Mick H were having a competition

who could play the most awful junk, really. Most of us there couldn't categorise

that stuff as "classic soul" my mate said he'd prefer to listen to Sam & Dave.

I really do have an open mind Ady, I really do but that crappy slow shit, well,

I just don't get it mate.

Now then as for my leader, you'll be saddened to hear it's actually not Ian,

but this person...................

However funnily enough there is an IL connection, he destryoed my fantasy

by telling me she was an gay icon, well you imagine how I felt? :D

Anyway I stand by my feelings, garbage in the waste bin and great soul in the

earholes...............

Chris L :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now