Could This Work

sober up or go to bed what you on .are you say you could not copy the title of a song down in 2.30 min

No, I'm saying I'm too busy going through my box to see what to play next, once I've judged the dancers reaction to what I've just played and looked through the pile I've already dug out to try and programme. I'm also listening to peoples requests and occasionally dashing off for a slash.

Social source share

• Replies 68
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Could this work .After a great night out at kings hall on new years eve the one problem came up again repeat plays of the same record (ie don thomas come on train 3/4 times) at one point within the same hour after a change of DJs .How about when booking these DJs each is give a year or even 2 say 60 up to 62 /62 upto 64 could this work ..With each DJ only playing from that set time There must be a data base on the internet somewear to find out when each track was made .please dont slag this down out of hand unless you have a better way to stop dame repeat plays .At £20 a head it took the piss a bit hearing same ones over and over again

Less DJs Longer Sets

Social source share

No, I'm saying I'm too busy going through my box to see what to play next, once I've judged the dancers reaction to what I've just played and looked through the pile I've already dug out to try and programme. I'm also listening to peoples requests and occasionally dashing off for a slash.

Now there is a title for a future compilation , Ady .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Good to know i ain't the only one moaning about this , in the main we are talking about a certain blokes promotions are'nt we and to whom i bear no malice and as always i point out i only wish my comments to be constructive.

The effect the constant repeats had on me was to drive me away from attending , it was becoming that annoying i found myself making mental note of all the repeats instead of enjoying myself !...quite a few others also stopped going to certain events because of this.....really there is no need for so many , a few are inevitable but half a dozen and more repeated up to five times in say 10 hours is hopeless......but the events to which i refer choose to play from such a very narrow band of records this has to be the result and the bottom line in my book is its down to the bloke at the helm.

The other side of the coin is , folk still attend in large numbers and appear to enjoy themselves so as long as the cash flows in then nothing will change.

Edited by JOEfromupnorth
Social source share

The initial suggestion is a comlete non starter, as for writing tracks down, asking DJs to write down their plays for later DJs who can't be bothered to get their early enough to listen (apart from those busy in other rooms) and what about the later DJs? Having to read through many 'lists' some probably barely legible, in very often poor lighting, then having to write their own plays down, whilst dealing with requestees, don't think so somehow,

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

What about a dj playing a load of uptempo floorfillers at 8 knowing that played later would be better, is he selfish......ive seen it done.

Social source share

The initial suggestion is a comlete non starter, as for writing tracks down, asking DJs to write down their plays for later DJs who can't be bothered to get their early enough to listen (apart from those busy in other rooms) and what about the later DJs? Having to read through many 'lists' some probably barely legible, in very often poor lighting, then having to write their own plays down, whilst dealing with requestees, don't think so somehow,

Hmmm. Good points. What's your solution then?

Social source share

Hmmm. Good points. What's your solution then?

As already said, if DJs that repeatedly show a disregard for what has gone earlier (either by late arrival or simple ignorance) got less bookings, and taken out of their apparent comfort zone, then a little more effort may take place, IMHO

Social source share

As already said, if DJs that repeatedly show a disregard for what has gone earlier (either by late arrival or simple ignorance) got less bookings, and taken out of their apparent comfort zone, then a little more effort may take place, IMHO

True...........

Social source share

one more some point its the records which are repeated are the cheep as chips run of the mill crap you dont hear up leavel tony galla in love etc unless these so called DJs are playing boots in which case should be shot anyway but thats a whole diffrent war

middleton 40 +DJs replays poss1/2

bidds 8 DJs replays 1

kings hall 8 DJs replays lost count but min 10+

top 2 only play the real thing

Social source share

again thats down to the promoters not to book them is it not if they continue to stay in the so called comfort zone. Some DJ's too scared to veer from the comfort zone and try something else.

I would make it compulsory that all DJ's are there early and if not then they make the effort to find whats gone before them.

I would also make the DJ's scribble down what they have played, tell the DJ's no repeats.

Sometimes though as Ady pointed out if your busy promoting as well as djing it's not always possible to keep up with things like this.

At the end of the day I think the promoter should play a greater part and think about what DJ's they are having on any particular night. Most of us who are out and about all the time know who plays what and the best way is to simply avoid DJ's with similiar sets, not always easy when the scene is full of :thumbsup: DJ's.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Less DJs Longer Sets

That probably hits the nail on the head imo.

(Makes the buggers earn there minimal wage as well.... :thumbsup: )

Combined with booking DJs with different styles.....however, in a predominately oldies orientated venue like Kings Hall that would obviously be tougher to implement.

I also find drinking copiuos amounts of beer both improves playlists, and also seems to reduce repeats as far as you can remember the next day......be warned however, that it must somehow also increase ear sensitivity to loudness of music cus you also end up with a bad headache the next morning in most cases.... :D

Social source share

again thats down to the promoters not to book them is it not if they continue to stay in the so called comfort zone. Some DJ's too scared to veer from the comfort zone and try something else.

I would make it compulsory that all DJ's are there early and if not then they make the effort to find whats gone before them.

I would also make the DJ's scribble down what they have played, tell the DJ's no repeats.

Sometimes though as Ady pointed out if your busy promoting as well as djing it's not always possible to keep up with things like this.

At the end of the day I think the promoter should play a greater part and think about what DJ's they are having on any particular night. Most of us who are out and about all the time know who plays what and the best way is to simply avoid DJ's with similiar sets, not always easy when the scene is full of :lamsey: DJ's.

Chalky, in an earlier post i mentioned the promoters should take some of the blame, for keep booking em, as for 'comfort zone' i meant regarding re bookings ie doing a venue so often or resident they kinda know they are 'safe', as for 'comfort zone' regarding how adventurous their sets are is another issue is it not? thread topic being 'repeats'

Regards

Social source share

Chalky, in an earlier post i mentioned the promoters should take some of the blame, for keep booking em, as for 'comfort zone' i meant regarding re bookings ie doing a venue so often or resident they kinda know they are 'safe', as for 'comfort zone' regarding how adventurous their sets are is another issue is it not? thread topic being 'repeats'

Regards

sorry mate, not read it all as it's been done several times before. You are right the comfort zone we are talking about two issues but both relevant IMHO.

Social source share

fully agree with the less dj's longer sets, been saying this myself for some time now. More not always better. One negative though, we'd have new venues popping up all over the place with all the unemployed DJ's having to turn to promoting to guarantee a booking :lamsey:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest Mark Holmes

What could enthusiastic promoters do? In this instance it seemed like it was an event where some money was made.

Maybe this is an oppurtunity for promoters to allow freedom of playlists for DJ's but keep events vibrant with non repetetive plays.

There must be someone out there who can write the artist and label down in 2 minutes or less and pass the list around, (these days you can fit a computer and a printer in yer handbag for goodness sakes!)

(Bet Hilda Woods could have done it and still taken the money on the door!)

Seems like promoting an event is as much as trying to remove all the bones of contention as well as filling up rooms, after all as a promoter aren't you "Mein Host"? don't you want to do your best to make sure your patrons leave happy?

I understand that there is an incredible ammount of work that goes into hosting an event however maybe there are additional oppurtunities for making it a great event that are being missed.

IMHO of course.

Social source share

Posts unapproved - appreciate members have ongoing issues with each other but can you please try to resolve them without personal insults on here. Thanks.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert