Could This Work

Could this work .After a great night out at kings hall on new years eve the one problem came up again repeat plays of the same record (ie don thomas come on train 3/4 times) at one point within the same hour after a change of DJs .How about when booking these DJs each is give a year or even 2 say 60 up to 62 /62 upto 64 could this work ..With each DJ only playing from that set time There must be a data base on the internet somewear to find out when each track was made .please dont slag this down out of hand unless you have a better way to stop dame repeat plays .At £20 a head it took the piss a bit hearing same ones over and over again

Social source share

• Replies 68
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Mark Holmes

If DJ's are popping in and out and not there for the whole event how about having somone write down in big letters a list of what has been played in the sets before them so that they aren't tempted to repeat.

If I was a promoter and repeats was a bone of contention with the punters I would as dj's to follow that one policy.

If you want people coming back then promoters should put the effort into it.

Social source share

Its not rocket science is it?.............If im booked at a venue I make damn sure im there early enough and I know exactly whats been played in the time ive been at the place.......we and the wifes/parteners get in for free and get payed for doing this so its only common courtesy to the job correctly.

I dont much mind a track being played twice but it has to be a few hours apart.

wink.gif

Edited by Guest
Social source share

.At £20 a head it took the piss a bit hearing same ones over and over again

Imagine how those lads would have felt, they turned up at 4.30am & were still charged the full £20 to get in

Venue closed at 6am. Gutted I'd say.

Edited by Soulsmith
Social source share

Its not rocket science is it?.............If im booked at a venue I make damn sure im there early enough and I know exactly whats been played in the time ive been at the place.......we and the wifes/parteners get in for free and get payed for doing this so its only common courtesy to the job correctly.

:yes:

I agree same with me always get there early to hear wots played if youre gettin in free why come late go early and have fun i'm djin tonight and will be there about 3 haha laugh.gif:( Di xx

Social source share

I agree same with me always get there early to hear wots played if youre gettin in free why come late go early and have fun i'm djin tonight and will be there about 3 haha laugh.gif:( Di xx

Better get a shift on its Twenty to now :yes:

Social source share

Was at Friendship the other week and in over 6hrs only one record was played twice and that was in the first and last spots. But the DJ's were in the venue all night listening to each other.

:( So the answer would seem to be as Steve say's " get in early and listen to what's been played".

ie COMMON SENSE yes.gif

Social source share

Could this work .After a great night out at kings hall on new years eve the one problem came up again repeat plays of the same record (ie don thomas come on train 3/4 times) at one point within the same hour after a change of DJs .How about when booking these DJs each is give a year or even 2 say 60 up to 62 /62 upto 64 could this work ..With each DJ only playing from that set time There must be a data base on the internet somewear to find out when each track was made .please dont slag this down out of hand unless you have a better way to stop dame repeat plays .At £20 a head it took the piss a bit hearing same ones over and over again

at £20 a head , id be pissed hearing it once laugh.gif

Social source share

As a promoter of the Coppertops venue at Worcester, it has been policy from day one not to play anything more than once and we do get all the djs to write down their playlists, which most comply with, occasionally a DJ may play something that has already been played, and normally a lighthearted reprimand is enough to get the point over.With so many records and so little time there really is no excuse for a DJ to repeat a tune on the same night.

Rob H.

Social source share

to stop it happening don't go again for one.At a long nite/niter its up to the dj's to keep on the ball, if they are there.At an evening session it should'nt happen at all.

Some repeats are acceptable,dependant on rareity and popularity though, but only the once imho.

Its tempting for a dj to play a toon that filled the floor 3 hrs earlier.

Answer= don't dance.Sorted.

Social source share

All this would do in effect is remove a DJs identity and ability to think on his feet at what is required at any given moment, and unless we expect all the paying public to learn the year of release of their fave tunes, then it would mean the end of 'requests' , and constantly saying 'i can't play that even though its not yet been played'

Agree wih Steve, a little effort from a DJ should help, although mistakes will always happen, especially at multi room events, (where a dj may have left the room for a while, maybe to visit record bar etc) or if he/she smokes whistling.gif

Shouldn't always lay the blame at the feet of the DJ, well not totally, if a promoter (who must be keeping his/her eye on his/her event plus recieving plenty feedback) is happy booking DJs that obviously don't show much regard for what has gone before, then surely they should take some blame,

Pete

Social source share

to stop it happening don't go again for one.At a long nite/niter its up to the dj's to keep on the ball, if they are there.At an evening session it should'nt happen at all.

Some repeats are acceptable,dependant on rareity and popularity though, but only the once imho.

Its tempting for a dj to play a toon that filled the floor 3 hrs earlier.

Answer= don't dance.Sorted.

But what if the evening session has two rooms?

All three of us are DJing in both rooms at you know where next week... and as far as I know... it's still impossible to be in two places at the same time.

I must admit to not liking tunes being repeated... although I'm not anal enough to let it ruin my night.

But I am anal enough about it when it's me doing the repeating... so what do you do?

Social source share

Why not a little electrical jolt if a dj ques up a repeat track (it works with cattle)

Howdo Roddy

To be honest mate ,some of those dj's that play all that "played out" stuff ,look like they could use a jolt ,just to wake em up :(

All the best fro 2008

Nev thumbsup.gif

Social source share

so reading in between the lines the DJs who have replyed in this thread are saying is Tuff S--t and if you dont like it dont go ,NOW THAT IS THE WAY FOWARD????? WELL IF THATS THE CASE THERE WAS 5 OF US IN OUR PARTY SO NEXT TIME £100 DOWN ON THE DOOR AND THATS JUST NOT WHO I WAS WITH .LOTS OF OTHER PEOPLE HAD THE SAME THING TO SAY NOT ONLY ME . OUT COME SORRY WE ARE CLOSED

I was also at middleton with over 40 DJs and iam not %100 sure but only heard 1 yes 1 repeated track

Social source share

wink.gif

But Steve,

You would take away the glory of the guest DJ walking in at 9.30 - 10.30 ish with the record box and entourage in tow, and everyone looking at them as they walk purposefully towards the bar or stage, ignoring everyone who dares to look at them!

You and Linda are there before the promoter! :(

Social source share

But Steve,

You would take away the glory of the guest DJ walking in at 9.30 - 10.30 ish with the record box and entourage in tow, and everyone looking at them as they walk purposefully towards the bar or stage, ignoring everyone who dares to :lol:LAUGH :lol: at them!

You and Linda are there before the promoter! :D

And sometimes before the cleaners! :lol::D

Hi Brian.....all the best mate....not seen you over the festive period.

wink.gif

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I haven't looked to see if anybody else has made the following suggestions, but here goes anyway;

1. DJs on later should be there early enough to listen to what's being played before he or she goes on.

2. If that can't be done, then perhaps each DJ should write a quick note of what he or she has played for the benefit of the DJs who come later, and the punters who have been there since it opened.

There, hope that's not too complicated for anybody?

Social source share

"(ie don thomas come on train 3/4 times)"

wow, i'm surprised this is played out once :lol: , let three or four times after all this time. all those tunes too choose from, wonders will never cease.

but hey, who am i to say :lol:

alan

Social source share

All three of us are DJing in both rooms at you know where next week... and as far as I know... it's still impossible to be in two places at the same time.

I must admit to not liking tunes being repeated... although I'm not anal enough to let it ruin my night.

But I am anal enough about it when it's me doing the repeating... so what do you do?

you've found a hole in my theory :yes: ,aint got a problem with repitition myself.so long as its quality and not done for any other motive.

I would dance to any of your toons regardless JJ,quality always gets me on the floor :lol: .

I know , i'm such a creep!!! :P

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

write down the tracks is what i have said all along and i did that when i djed first time. I know only first time. But i made sure Martin who came on after me did not play the same tunes. That is what i do not want.

An idea of years is no good if you was using a track that had been re-released or not the correct year. Best way as said write down songs you played show the DJ's and they can't have a problem then.

Social source share

Getting DJ's to write down what they play... as they play it... seems to have a lot going for it.

It solves the problem of records being repeated during the night.

Plus... when the nights over... you'll have all the DJ's playlists for the whole night there already.

Then there's the added bonus for those DJ's who plan there sets in advance... they'll be able to turn up with their set's already printed out.

Oh... and for the saddo's amongst us... of which I am one... the thought of having an accurate record of who played what... and where... and when... gets me strangely excited.... :lol:

hmm.. not too sure that's a good thing though.... :yes:

Anyway... it will never happen.... for the simple reason that there are DJ's out there who will consider doing such a thing completely beneath them.

Social source share

I do not think there is any way to stop the repeat playing of a side during / in a night : Possibly the answer is to have someone stood on stage during all spots , watching what the DJ puts on the deck . and shout loudly at them " Take that off - it's been played " ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Maybe you lose the urge to do a full nighter as you get older but I have always had a bit of a problem with booked jocks walking in 10 minutes before they go on and getting off 10 minutes after they've finished.

I understand that on occasion they may have a couple of bookings but you get my general drift.

I do feel that every night has a different feel, it's bound to.

And you - as a bloke playing records to people within that - have to be available for some period during that night to soak some of that up,if only to be able to echo that nights particular feel within your set.

Social source share

The writing down by the DJ wouldn't work for me. With 2 and a bit minutes records and people up on stage for requests, I don't have time. If I've been upstairs at the 100 Club working or just extra dozy, I ask someone who's stationed themselves at the front of the stage most of the night, Mike Gibbs, Trickster, Joel, James, Matt Bolton etc. The only problem is when James says Pat & The Blenders has been played when it hasn't cause he's bored with it.

It's not a big problem at the 100 Club but at Cleethorpes with people wandering round at odd hours and in odd places, I perhaps could get a stenographer to list the sounds for everyone. They'd have to be very knowledgable though and hopefully wouldn't start uncovering Butch's cover-ups!

Social source share

The writing down by the DJ wouldn't work for me. With 2 and a bit minutes records and people up on stage for requests, I don't have time. If I've been upstairs at the 100 Club working or just extra dozy, I ask someone who's stationed themselves at the front of the stage most of the night, Mike Gibbs, Trickster, Joel, James, Matt Bolton etc. The only problem is when James says Pat & The Blenders has been played when it hasn't cause he's bored with it.

It's not a big problem at the 100 Club but at Cleethorpes with people wandering round at odd hours and in odd places, I perhaps could get a stenographer to list the sounds for everyone. They'd have to be very knowledgable though and hopefully wouldn't start uncovering Butch's cover-ups!

The only person I know who regiliously collated notes as to what records were played at a venue , was / is my good friend Tom Paddison , at Cleethorpes ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

The only person I know who regiliously collated notes as to what records were played at a venue , was / is my good friend Tom Paddison , at Cleethorpes ........

Malc Burton

I'll ask the other DJs whether it would be something they would use, I know it would be helpful to me on the Friday and Sunday. What exactly does Tom do when he's scribbling, presumably for his own interest. Is he in the main room most of the time and how late does he stay up?

Social source share

Whenever I'm DJing I always try to get there for the start of the night so I don't repeat anything that has been played, although it has happened on occasions. If you are being paid to DJ, you have to accept some responsibility in earning that wage. Simple as that.

Joan of course has hit the nail on the head with the two room scenario, it's impossible to be in two places at once, so really I'd spend most of the night in the main room, and trust to luck in the second room. theoretically, because you would play a different set in the second room, it should be individual enough for tracks not to be repeated.

Mind you, I've seen people follow me and start their set with a record I played less than ten minutes before, and I know they were in the venue then, so were they listening ??

Social source share

Guest rachel

I thoroughly approve of this practice laugh.gif

Social source share

I'll ask the other DJs whether it would be something they would use, I know it would be helpful to me on the Friday and Sunday. What exactly does Tom do when he's scribbling, presumably for his own interest. Is he in the main room most of the time and how late does he stay up?

Hi Ady .....

Apologies if my posting gave you the wrong impression ......

Tom was a fervent compiler of playlists at the start of , and all the way through , the halcyon days of Cleethorpes ........

During those times , if a DJ passed wind , he made a note of it laugh.gif ....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Getting DJ's to write down what they play... as they play it... seems to have a lot going for it.

It solves the problem of records being repeated during the night.

Plus... when the nights over... you'll have all the DJ's playlists for the whole night there already.

Then there's the added bonus for those DJ's who plan there sets in advance... they'll be able to turn up with their set's already printed out.

Oh... and for the saddo's amongst us... of which I am one... the thought of having an accurate record of who played what... and where... and when... gets me strangely excited.... unsure.gif

hmm.. not too sure that's a good thing though.... :lol:

Anyway... it will never happen.... for the simple reason that there are DJ's out there who will consider doing such a thing completely beneath them.

And perhaps therein lies part of the problem, ego. Or perhaps arrogance. Or even sheer ignorance.

Venue organisers should insist on it, afer all, thay are paying the DJs wages and they also want to keep their punters happy.

Social source share

Maybe you lose the urge to do a full nighter as you get older but I have always had a bit of a problem with booked jocks walking in 10 minutes before they go on and getting off 10 minutes after they've finished.

I understand that on occasion they may have a couple of bookings but you get my general drift.

I do feel that every night has a different feel, it's bound to.

And you - as a bloke playing records to people within that - have to be available for some period during that night to soak some of that up,if only to be able to echo that nights particular feel within your set.

Exactly. Well put Sir. That's what I said but put more eloquently.

Social source share

so ady again what your saying is tuff shit all you paying punters ,i will play what i like as many times as i like and these f--k all you can do about it and no mater what is said on hear you ant going to try anything new. top lad you are...

Social source share

so ady again what your saying is tuff shit all you paying punters ,i will play what i like as many times as i like and these f--k all you can do about it and no mater what is said on hear you ant going to try anything new. top lad you are...

No, he's not saying that at all. This is what he said;

"The writing down by the DJ wouldn't work for me. With 2 and a bit minutes records and people up on stage for requests, I don't have time. If I've been upstairs at the 100 Club working or just extra dozy, I ask someone who's stationed themselves at the front of the stage most of the night."

And by that he means for him personally, it wouldn't work because he's busy running the venue as smoothly as he can, such that he doesn't get to hear everything that gets played before he does his spot, so he asks others what has been played in order to avoid playing something that has already been played.

Now when he's a guest DJ, to the best of my knowledge, he normally turns up early, partly to listen to what's being played for a feel of what's working and also to avoid where possible playing something already played earlier, but the real truth is he'll have you believe, so that he can get pissed sooner. biggrin.gif

Social source share

What are you on? I never said anything remotely like that. Top lad you are!

Social source share

If you take the trouble to re-read my post I said that writing down the titles wasn't possible as there's not time during the set, unless you want the set to suffer. I then mentioned the alternative way that I do it so as to avoid repeating plays. I've actually joined in the discussion to try and find a way of doing it.

Sober up or go to bed.

Social source share

You do read some interesting things into posts, I think what Ady is also saying, or should be saying, is at the 100 club, then you are far less likely (probably 100% unlikely) to hear bad repeats because of the DJ's he uses, and if you do hear a repeat then its likely to be because its fresh and new and worth hearing a second time.

And as for Cleethorpes weekender does anyone really care about repeats over a 72 hour period (within limits obviously)

Think you need to change your venues rather than change the DJ'ing world, your idea would be far too restrictive to any DJ that likes playing more than one style and tempo.

I would also say I dont think repeats of new stuff should be discouraged, I asked JT to play something a second time in one of his sets at Lifeline, although he refrained. Sometimes particularly today it is a good way to get things noticed for new stuff.

Social source share

You do read some interesting things into posts, I think what Ady is also saying, or should be saying, is at the 100 club, then you are far less likely (probably 100% unlikely) to hear bad repeats because of the DJ's he uses, and if you do hear a repeat then its likely to be because its fresh and new and worth hearing a second time.

And as for Cleethorpes weekender does anyone really care about repeats over a 72 hour period (within limits obviously)

Think you need to change your venues rather than change the DJ'ing world, your idea would be far too restrictive to any DJ that likes playing more than one style and tempo.

I would also say I dont think repeats of new stuff should be discouraged, I asked JT to play something a second time in one of his sets at Lifeline, although he refrained. Sometimes particularly today it is a good way to get things noticed for new stuff.

"I would also say I dont think repeats of new stuff should be discouraged, I asked JT to play something a second time in one of his sets at Lifeline, although he refrained. Sometimes particularly today it is a good way to get things noticed for new stuff."

That's a good point. Often, when a new 'discovery' is being pushed, it DOES need to be played more than once in a night, depending I suppose on how long the night is.

Social source share

I seem to recall " during the war " - 30 + years ago - that it was common practice for for a DJ to expose the same record two or even three times , during the same night , in order to break it .....

I cannot recall anyone back then , giving a toss ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

I seem to recall " during the war " - 30 + years ago - that it was common practice for for a DJ to expose the same record two or even three times , during the same night , in order to break it .....

I cannot recall anyone back then , giving a toss ......

Malc Burton

I imagine it's the same today and I'm sure nobody objects to that. It's the playing of something more than a couple of times of records that have already been broken, or worse still, played out records being played 3 or 4 times in one night. Not when there is so many other good records to be played.

Social source share

If you take the trouble to re-read my post I said that writing down the titles wasn't possible as there's not time during the set, unless you want the set to suffer. I then mentioned the alternative way that I do it so as to avoid repeating plays. I've actually joined in the discussion to try and find a way of doing it.

Sober up or go to bed.

sober up or go to bed what you on .are you say you could not copy the title of a song down in 2.30 min

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert