Soul City Label-revamped

Guest nusha

The Non Dave Godin related Soul City Label has been panned for having low quality pressings...My Cashmeres one is awful and muddy sounding.However my friends Jack Montgomery dos,nt sound too bad..What are the good bright sounding ones and what are the really poor?

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

:lol:

Walter & The Admerations starts off at the wrong speed then speeds up after 20 seconds

It sounds like the record was off centre when they recorded it from the single, makes me feel a bit sea sick all that twoing and frowing unless its a pressing fault.. A shame cause it so rare and great both sides.

I will wait until it comes out on Kent and be reassured of the quality or just go to clubs where the records are being played.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

The Non Dave Godin related Soul City Label has been panned for having low quality pressings...My Cashmeres one is awful and muddy sounding.However my friends Jack Montgomery dos,nt sound too bad..What are the good bright sounding ones and what are the really poor?

Wheres Manship when you need him..I bet he knows

Social source share

I thought they were all boots done by a PD of the Bradford area?

Social source share

Two high spots for me, on the Soul City "identity theft" 45s.

Walter & The Admirations FLIPSIDE you'll fall about laughing when you play it.

Mr. Floods Party - Compared to what -

well compared to the "real" Mr. Floods Party it is not even the same record?

You could go on and on... but I do love the novelty value of these two 45s.

I feel it was a huge opportunity missed, it's not that difficult to deliver decent sound quality and the correct recordings. Is it? They took the time to replicate the sleeves & labels and did a really good job on that.

The other point that sticks in the throat a little, they were supposed to be a limited press on each title to 500. Which on some titles certainly exceeded that by quite some..

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

I feel it was a huge opportunity missed, it's not that difficult to deliver decent sound quality and the correct recordings. Is it? They took the time to replicate the sleeves & labels and did a really good job on that.

The other point that sticks in the throat a little, they were supposed to be a limited press on each title to 500. Which on some titles certainly exceeded that by quite some..

Dead right on the so called "limited" tag..

They started at £8-10.

Absolutely loads around at the record fairs @ £2-3.

More like 1000-2000 ? far too many for todays market.

Edited by Russ Smith
Social source share

I haven't heard the Soul City Compared To What John but there are two different versions of it - the one that came out on Bulldog (and probably Ember) in the 70's is a totally different take to the one the USA GM label

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

I haven't heard the Soul City Compared To What John but there are two different versions of it - the one that came out on Bulldog (and probably Ember) in the 70's is a totally different take to the one the USA GM label

The Ember and Bulldog versions are different.

Isn't the Ember one pretty hard to find?

Social source share

It is, but last time I had it it hung around for months til it went on ebay for about 15 quid!

Back to my original question...Are any of them any good or are they all sub standard?

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Well who has the rites to the Soul City releases! and who has had permision to use the Label and its name etc..Does the Dave Godin Family etc still own the writes to the Label etc...Sounds a bit iffy to me... Graham.

Social source share

Well who has the rites to the Soul City releases! and who has had permision to use the Label and its name etc..Does the Dave Godin Family etc still own the writes to the Label etc...Sounds a bit iffy to me... Graham.

But did he have the right to use the name at the time as therewas a US label of the same name?

Dave Godin wasalivewhen these 45's first appeared in 2000 or 2001 so he would definitely have known about them.

I hate the slap-dash approach though. Even in the last lot they did, "This thing called love" was credited to simply J. Wyatt. Did they not know his first name?

Social source share

Just played theses both sides, and all sound great

Jack Montgomery - My dear beloved - Do you believe - sc124

Marie Knight - That's no way to treat a girl - You lie so well - sc125

Yvonne Vernee - Just like you did me - It's been a long time - sc134

The Tempos - A little togetherness - Countdown here I come - sc145

Don Varner - Tear stained face - Mojo mama - sc151

Larry Santos - You got me where you want me - Tomorrow without love - sc153

Can't comment on any others, hope this is a help to you

Steve

Edited by steve
Social source share

Just wondering, is there a market for these reissued Soul City tracks when they have been booted and reissues many times before and you can get most of these records on CD's and at least two of them on Kent records " from the list above?

Quality wise it has made me go out and find an original after getting an average press, ok the original is pressed of centre but there is no need to reissue it that way.

Ho many records would you expect to sell?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert