That "tumbleweed Moment"

coops

Guest Trevski

going back to the TUMBLEWEED MOMENT .why are so many djs getting afraid that when they play a record people walk off.

Don't know, I do it all the time! :lol:

Seriously, I don't think any Dj intends to clear the floor, and every tune they play is a dancer, it's just that you have to take a risk with different stuff. I could play "girl across the street" (If I had it!) and pack the floor, but would rather play "Mad mouth woman" and hope to get a reaction! I know people will dance to it, give the right sort of punter, ie those at DDA etc, but you have to try to spread the tunes to a wider audience, and give those that havn't heard it the opertunity to enjoy it. If they don't it's their loss, and give it 6/12 months they will be packing the floor to stuff they walked off to 6/12 months earlier!

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

• Replies 120
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Don't know, I do it all the time! :lol:

Seriously, I don't think any Dj intends to clear the floor, and every tune they play is a dancer, it's just that you have to take a risk with different stuff. I could play "girl across the street" (If I had it!) and pack the floor, but would rather play "Mad mouth woman" and hope to get a reaction! I know people will dance to it, give the right sort of punter, ie those at DDA etc, but you have to try to spread the tunes to a wider audience, and give those that havn't heard it the opertunity to enjoy it. If they don't it's their loss, and give it 6/12 months they will be packing the floor to stuff they walked off to 6/12 months earlier!

the few times i dj im the same :lol:

i just think i does not have to be safe all the time,i prefer i dj who chucks in half a dozen so called "risky" 45s and see the reaction then having a dj come on and you know instantly whats hes going to play.

i really dont think its that hard to play good quallity dancable soul

Social source share

this is what i mean,thats whats its about sometimes,its not just about playing safe having to play this that and the other and djs shitting themselves weather the next record is going to get them an ego busting gold star or them never to work again,its about playing soul music.The trammps does not surprise me because it would kind of fit into the kind of stuff alot of the crowd there grew up with.Now if you had a copy of jimmy andrews and it filled the floor then that would be something

i don't know about you but for me it ain't a game of russian roulette..... a gamble, for me it's about entertaining the paying public and not me being a cleaver dick!.... guess that's just me then.

you do what you have to do, play what you have to play, i have no problems with this, i embrace diversity but it seems as though you think ALL others should do as you do?

who died and made you god?

Social source share

the few times i dj im the same :lol:

i just think i does not have to be safe all the time,i prefer i dj who chucks in half a dozen so called "risky" 45s and see the reaction then having a dj come on and you know instantly whats hes going to play.

i really dont think its that hard to play good quallity dancable soul

and i applaud that but once again you seem to think that just because YOU think that then all others should think alike.

a lot of people go to venues because they know what they are going to hear and are in their comfort zone.

this is one kind of venue and paying public.

in other kinds people don't know what they are going to hear and enjoy that.... another kind of venue.

diversity, let each kind live on in their own ethos without trying to enforce ones' opinion on to the other!

simple really, live and let live.... buggar, did i already say that?

Social source share

As a person who gets an occasional DJ spot, I cleared the floor at Walls Of Heartache last year with September Jones' I'm Coming Home, never happened to Dave Flynn at the Dome so where did I go wrong?

But my real problem is normally filling the floor, I usually do an opening set.

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

But my real problem is normally filling the floor, I usually do an opening set.

I love an early set, do not have to worry about working the floor to much.

Social source share

:lol::lol::lol: you are on at the wrong time steve and you know it

Coud'nt agree more Jim..bout time he did a prime time spot...get the ogygen ready tho....Btw feel like you did yesterday feel like crap..you missed a cracker yesterday ...missed ya an all :yes:

Bazza

Social source share

and i applaud that but once again you seem to think that just because YOU think that then all others should think alike.

a lot of people go to venues because they know what they are going to hear and are in their comfort zone.

this is one kind of venue and paying public.

in other kinds people don't know what they are going to hear and enjoy that.... another kind of venue.

diversity, let each kind live on in their own ethos without trying to enforce ones' opinion on to the other!

simple really, live and let live.... buggar, did i already say that?

Now why couldn't i have put it like that earlier? perfect :lol:

Social source share

Coud'nt agree more Jim..bout time he did a prime time spot...get the ogygen ready tho....Btw feel like you did yesterday feel like crap..you missed a cracker yesterday ...missed ya an all :lol:

Bazza

hi bazza,yeah wish i could have made it,just wasnt in the party mood and di and i didnt want to just sit there feeling crap.

ooo my New Year's Resolution not to come on SOUL SOURCE and argue :lol:

Edited by JMYTG
Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest smudgesmith

butlins' weekender, 400 in the venue (quite early) marvin gaye - let's get it on (re-mix)

floor cleared quicker than the bogs at the pier when the d.s. walked in!!!

is it me?

not one danced (well, one did..... ME!!)

You know what the answer is Mick..............dont play it

Social source share

You know what the answer is Mick..............dont play it

i had to smudge, i just knew both the right track AND moses smith AND many others were going to (and actually were) played 4 times in the same night.

still, they danced to kenny thomas so one would reasonably presume at least one would dance to marvin!

Social source share

Guest posstot

Not so much tumbleweed moments but more 'why do we bother sometimes moments' at a couple of event's recently I've had firstly "can you play something more commercial please we like that here" and "any chance of cranking it up a bit mate"? "sorry do you mean turn up the volume"? "no can you play some faster records" when Ty Karim - 'You Really Made It Good To Me' was banging out of the speakers, it's not the comments or requests so much but the way some people talk to you like it's their devine right to be rude to you.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

ooooohhhhhhhhh shut up!!! :huh:

sorry couldn't resist that one Mark :lol:laugh.gif:P:ohmy:

Social source share

Guest posstot

great tune :huh:

I'm with you...if you don't try stuff, we'll end up listenning to the same old s h i t e everywhere we g......oh we do..

oh..erm..... :ohmy:

Social source share

just a few seconds longer than you would have done... XX

Ha ha you reckon !! i would have let it play out mate, then told everyone you played it and wasn't it shite :lol:biggrin.gif , no honestly it,s not the folowing jocks place to cut short a record !!

I spoke with our Lord and master sunday night and he told me he has just realised that peeps want to dance at lunchtime too !! so the format of letting DJ's play summat different at lunchtime could be well and truly over !!

Must admit most folk i spoke to wanted the same atmosphere/music they get at nights, as they said it,s not an out and out up to the minute venue but one where they can have a good time, let their hair down and party to all their old faves (you inc :huh: ) It,s one weekend a year for most of them and boy do they want to enjoy it hic :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest posstot

i just cant get my head around the fact that people want to listen to the same old stuff week in week in nottingham or surrounding areas.I like oldies as do most people i should imgine, but there are 100s if not 1000s of 45s that would go down well at alot of these events but its just seems that if they dont know it they dont want to know.I bought a 45 off ian gee because he played it and it cleared the floor.Nice of him to give it a chance,maybe a few spins at other dos would have done and worked it in that way but no because his little band of oldies army didnt like it off to the sales list it went.As i said i just dont get it

Come along to the Soulful Shack in Culcheth......we,re trying to bring tumbleweed back into fashion..by playing forgotten, lesser known, early soul, popcorn, RnB and the weird and wonderful. Sometimes "oldies" but rested ones..our first night had 45-50 in on a snowy, cold busy weekend....guess what? our guests absolutely loved it!!

And we can't wait for the next one!!! until it's on, and 4 or 5 turn up!! :ohmy:

Social source share

Ha ha you reckon !! i would have let it play out mate, then told everyone you played it and wasn't it shite :)biggrin.gif , no honestly it,s not the folowing jocks place to cut short a record !!

I spoke with our Lord and master sunday night and he told me he has just realised that peeps want to dance at lunchtime too !! so the format of letting DJ's play summat different at lunchtime could be well and truly over !!

Must admit most folk i spoke to wanted the same atmosphere/music they get at nights, as they said it,s not an out and out up to the minute venue but one where they can have a good time, let their hair down and party to all their old faves (you inc :lol: ) It,s one weekend a year for most of them and boy do they want to enjoy it hic :thumbsup:

i have no problem with it not being up to the minute but i do have a problem when dee-jays play a record which is being heard for the fourth time in one night!

Social source share

i have no problem with it not being up to the minute but i do have a problem when dee-jays play a record which is being heard for the fourth time in one night!

You Stick with it Mick............maybe it was because they had been listening to the same old tunes being spun 4 or more times, that they didn't recognise it ?? :thumbsup:

cheers,

john mc.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert