That "tumbleweed Moment"

coops

dee jaying at newage club in stamford, not many there but got good footfall reaction on the dance floor then........ :ohmy:

put t.j. williams on......... unsure.gif

the floor totally emptied and i could hear the strains of a spaghetti western as the tumbleweed drifted across the floor.... ooops! g.gif

got them back with the next record but has anyone else got a 'certainty' that went 'south!'

Social source share

• Replies 120
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

:D Had shed loads of them. There ain't nothing certain in this world and that especially goes for the east coast events. So long as you pull em back on the floor what's it matter!

dee jaying at newage club in stamford, not many there but got good footfall reaction on the dance floor then........ :ohmy:

the floor totally emptied and i could hear the strains of a spaghetti western as the tumbleweed drifted across the floor.... ooops! g.gif

got them back with the next record but has anyone else got a 'certainty' that went 'south!'

Social source share

Which T.J Williams track was it? 'My Life' or 'Baby I Need You' ????

Social source share

baby i need you..... didn't bloody need him that night!!!!!!

Im shocked totally shocked ohmy.gif

i have been playing it out over the last 6 months and its always gone down superb, what track did you play to bring the floor back, just out of curiosity

Social source share

Im shocked totally shocked ohmy.gif

i have been playing it out over the last 6 months and its always gone down superb, what track did you play to bring the floor back, just out of curiosity

jackie wilson - becuse of you, i know, i know but had to think quick, first time T.J. had let me down!!!! :ohmy:

Social source share

jackie wilson - becuse of you, i know, i know but had to think quick, first time T.J. had let me down!!!! huh.gif

Kind of sums it up really, i love that JW tune but im still gobsmacked JT didnt go down at all :ohmy:

Social source share

Kind of sums it up really, i love that JW tune but im still gobsmacked JT didnt go down at all huh.gif

i wasn't just gobsmacked, it sort of confused me for a moment :D

thought i'd just entered the twilight zone. unsure.gif

a bit like making an entrance to a party in fancy dress and everyone else is in black tie!! :D

but still, if we all liked the same thing we'd only hear the top 500 played out..... wait a minute!!!!! that's another story!!! :ohmy:

Social source share

i wasn't just gobsmacked, it sort of confused me for a moment :D

thought i'd just entered the twilight zone. :ohmy:

a bit like making an entrance to a party in fancy dress and everyone else is in black tie!! :D

but still, if we all liked the same thing we'd only hear the top 500 played out..... wait a minute!!!!! that's another story!!! shhh.gif

sounded like a top 500 night whistling.gif maybe you should of gone in fancy dress :D

Social source share

the floor totally emptied and i could hear the strains of a spaghetti western as the tumbleweed drifted across the floor.... ooops! :D

Carton club "North Wales" (recently)............Sam Williams cleared the floor (Pete griffin left with open mouth, And me laughing my tits off cause he had just found his copy !!!)

I cleared the floor with the Star Treks and Liz Verdi.

But an old Detroit 45 that I played by Lavonne (Fred) Bridges - With a smile on my face (Gloreco) had people up and asking me what it was?

And that made it all make sense! laugh.gif

Social source share

Carton club "North Wales" (recently)............Sam Williams cleared the floor (Pete griffin left with open mouth, And me laughing my tits off cause he had just found his copy !!!)

But an old Detroit 45 that I played by Lavonne (Fred) Bridges - With a smile on my face (Gloreco) had people up and asking me what it was?

doesnt it just :ohmy:

Social source share

Been more surreal if nobody replied to your post coops :lol:

that wouldn't be a first fatsterman!!!!!

i remember rob smith playing sam williams at the palais in about late 77, early 78, cleared the floor except for me and big frank from peterborough.

rob rescued the floor by playing james coit!!!!

hundreds of lemmings got up and danced.....

nothing new there then!

Social source share

i wasn't just gobsmacked, it sort of confused me for a moment :P

thought i'd just entered the twilight zone. :lol:

a bit like making an entrance to a party in fancy dress and everyone else is in black tie!! :(

but still, if we all liked the same thing we'd only hear the top 500 played out..... wait a minute!!!!! that's another story!!! :huh:

Perhaps you should carry a copy of Ruby Andrews in a seperate case Mick.......with "In case of Emergency Break Glass" written on it!!.. :lol:

Social source share

Perhaps you should carry a copy of Ruby Andrews in a seperate case Mick.......with "In case of Emergency Break Glass" written on it!!.. :lol:

thanks teapot, i'd rather skin myself with a rusty knife and rub salt on the sore bits, besides, i think the snake that's in the box would eat ruby andrews!!!!!!! :huh::lol::P

Edited by coops
Social source share

dee jaying at newage club in stamford, not many there but got good footfall reaction on the dance floor then........ :lol:

put t.j. williams on......... :lol:

the floor totally emptied and i could hear the strains of a spaghetti western as the tumbleweed drifted across the floor.... ooops! :lol:

Hi Mick...saw this happen a Bentinck once ...the offending tune was "Some Good In Everything Bad"...great classic tune, I was gob smacked, never would have thought of it as a floor clearer

Bazza

Social source share

Hi Mick...saw this happen a Bentinck once ...the offending tune was "Some Good In Everything Bad"...great classic tune, I was gob smacked, never would have thought of it as a floor clearer

Bazza

goes to prove, there's nowt as fickle as folk bazza!

guess that's why the top 500 are the top 500, people in fear of the tumble weed!

now, if one played kirk franklin @ kingsway hall then that would be inviting the tumbleweed.... or would it?

Edited by coops
Social source share

Bazza

hey up bazza,dont think "some good...." has been played as much as t j williams,which is played everywhere you go.its becoming boring.I sold mine a year ago to local dj mick boyle because i was sick of hearing it.

if we had more djs that were a bit more individual,then records like t j williams wouldn't become boring.Right im off back in me pit to try and get rid of this stinking cold :lol:

Social source share

hey up bazza,dont think "some good...." has been played as much as t j williams,which is played everywhere you go.its becoming boring.I sold mine a year ago to local dj mick boyle because i was sick of hearing it.

if we had more djs that were a bit more individual,then records like t j williams wouldn't become boring.Right im off back in me pit to try and get rid of this stinking cold :lol:

Ay up Jim...yep you right ,as for TJ...its a great tune , as far as I remember up untill a couple of years ago it was either not known or been fogotten...I first heard it played by Cressy ....but now as you say it is sadly getting to be another "hot box" over played tune.......get some Beechams down ya....got to be in good shape for new years :lol:

Bazza

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Hull last night! A great nite all round but my jaw hit the floor when ROBERT TANNER cleared the floor! Un-be-bloody-lievable! Just shows what is well known on the 'niter scene doesn't neccesarily get to the club level. Thought everyone knows and loves Mr Tanner, fills the floor everywhere I've been for the last 4/5 years and still does the buisiness, but not in "Ull! (PS Dave and Val Box were dancing tho', cheers Boxies!)

Social source share

Not so much tumbleweed moments but more 'why do we bother sometimes moments' at a couple of event's recently I've had firstly "can you play something more commercial please we like that here" and "any chance of cranking it up a bit mate"? "sorry do you mean turn up the volume"? "no can you play some faster records" when Ty Karim - 'You Really Made It Good To Me' was banging out of the speakers, it's not the comments or requests so much but the way some people talk to you like it's their devine right to be rude to you.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

stands to reason if you play a slower-than-fast tempo tune to a crowd that wants uptempo then they are not gonna be happy , regardless of price or status of the tune

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

Thanks for reminding me Mossy, yes that was the night that you were havin a good sulk :lol: you couldnt understand why people were not dancing. But it all come together at the last event, Lavonne Bridges ect, early style soul and r&b was the order of the day me thinks :no:
Social source share

Just goes to show that there's nowt so quere as folk. What you did at skeggy Mick was top notch. it rocked my boat and im critical to say the least. Keep on keeping on and all that.

thank you soulman, very much appreciated.

played t.j. williams and the 'tumbleweeds' as i now call them at kingsway hall in forest town last night and the reaction was excellent....

and you'd have thought it wasn't 100 mph/torchy enough for those guys...

yet more addition to my confusion!

Social source share

thank you soulman, very much appreciated.

played t.j. williams and the 'tumbleweeds' as i now call them at kingsway hall in forest town last night and the reaction was excellent....

and you'd have thought it wasn't 100 mph/torchy enough for those guys...

yet more addition to my confusion!

Playing Kingsway tomorrow night, so will make sure to put TJ in the playbox :unsure: has been on the backburner for a while due to a number of mediocre dance floor responses,

Social source share

Playing Kingsway tomorrow night, so will make sure to put TJ in the playbox :unsure: has been on the backburner for a while due to a number of mediocre dance floor responses,

See you there mate, any chance of one or two lesser played tunes? Or would that be risking a tumbleweed moment :thumbsup:

Social source share

Im putting my whole playbox on the backburner after my set of tumbleweeds last night :thumbsup:

Social source share

Im putting my whole playbox on the backburner after my set of tumbleweeds last night :unsure:

Same here on xmas eve, but at least it wasn't just me, the two well respected DJs after me had the same response............Bedford just isn't ready for Mamsey Pamsey...well apart from the barmaid who thought my set was the best all night :thumbsup:

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Same here on xmas eve, but at least it wasn't just me, the two well respected DJs after me had the same response............Bedford just isn't ready for Mamsey Pamsey...well apart from the barmaid who thought my set was the best all night :unsure:

QoFxx

whats Mamsey Pamsey ..is it pop crap :thumbsup:

Social source share

whats Mamsey Pamsey ..is it pop crap :unsure:

tut tut, its the future of NS., never mind all the youngsters filling our ears with jazzie funk or what ever they call it

you need to get out more Simon :thumbsup:

It's a girl thing, Bearsy understands cos he's in touch with his feminine side :lol:

QoFxx

Social source share

Mamsey Pamsey , narrr must be crap :thumbsup: Jocko said

thats your problem Simon, stop listening to other people all the time and be your own man for once :unsure:

Social source share

It's a girl thing, Bearsy understands cos he's in touch with his feminine side :lol:

QoFxx

I heard he tried role play ..He was a dinner lady :unsure:

:thumbsup: how do you like you SOUL sir, rare or well done :lol:

Social source share

WTF is Mamsey pamsey then ?

Well you just don't do your research into the current genres of the scene and how dare you even post on this forum if you don't know everything about every type of music ever released :thumbsup:

but as for an answer to your question, if you don't know, you just haven't felt it :lol: ..................errrrr well basically mid tempo female vocals with heart and soul, oh and I have a bit of a 60s soul pop corssover thang goin on.

My last playlist may give you a hint, ignoring the youth club stuff I played of course :unsure:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...mp;#entry636189

QoFxx

Social source share

Well you just don't do your research into the current genres of the scene and how dare you even post on this forum if you don't know everything about every type of music ever released :thumbsup:

but as for an answer to your question, if you don't know, you just haven't felt it :lol: ..................errrrr well basically mid tempo female vocals with heart and soul, oh and I have a bit of a 60s soul pop corssover thang goin on.

My last playlist may give you a hint, ignoring the youth club stuff I played of course :unsure:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...mp;#entry636189

QoFxx

sorry , not for me chrissie Holly St James etc , its like The Devils nails across a blackboard for me :lol:

Social source share

Playing Kingsway tomorrow night, so will make sure to put TJ in the playbox :thumbsup: has been on the backburner for a while due to a number of mediocre dance floor responses,

i'm on there tomorrow as well pete (again) so i'll leave my copy at home mate, make room in my box for the snake!!! :unsure::lol:

Social source share

Played there a few times Steve, usually get one or two in, but gotta keep it up tempo in the main, plus as its NYE we really can do without the tumbleweed :unsure:

Completely understand Pete, Kingsway is local for me and I know what its all about.

I'll have my up tempo oldies head firmly on tomorrow and have a good blow out but its always nice to hear one or two which make you think "havent heard this for a bit"

Anyway I'll try and say hello tomorrow night, what time are you on?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert