Carolyn Sullivan's "dead" And "soul Food."

I host and produce a soul/R&B show on the station at my college. I heard this song and immediately knew I had to get it. The song is available for purchase on the UK iTunes, but I have a US account. Does anyone have the mp3? Nice quality too?

I'll be glad to exchange something for it. icon_smile.gif

The song is a B-side to a single of hers called "Wow." The only US release Carolyn Sullivan had was that 7" single.

"Dead," the song I'm looking for, is available in the UK on two compilations. One is "Dead! The Best of the Grim Reaper" and the other is "Modern Soul Conneissours." However, I live in the US and therefore, don't have a UK address to order these compilations from any site or even just buy the song on UK's version of iTunes.

Also, I have another request. The show I do is called "Soul Food" and I started it last January. When I started, I used mainly traditinal stuff just to get my feet on the ground. But, as time went on, I went underground and found a lot of great music. Do you guys have any siggestions for independent and underground artists to feature? Right now, my only sources are searches on myspace and listening to BBC 6's "Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show"

Chekc out "Soul Food" at https://myspace.com/soulfood917

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I host and produce a soul/R&B show on the station at my college. I heard this song and immediately knew I had to get it. The song is available for purchase on the UK iTunes, but I have a US account. Does anyone have the mp3? Nice quality too?

I'll be glad to exchange something for it. icon_smile.gif

The song is a B-side to a single of hers called "Wow." The only US release Carolyn Sullivan had was that 7" single.

"Dead," the song I'm looking for, is available in the UK on two compilations. One is "Dead! The Best of the Grim Reaper" and the other is "Modern Soul Conneissours." However, I live in the US and therefore, don't have a UK address to order these compilations from any site or even just buy the song on UK's version of iTunes.

Also, I have another request. The show I do is called "Soul Food" and I started it last January. When I started, I used mainly traditinal stuff just to get my feet on the ground. But, as time went on, I went underground and found a lot of great music. Do you guys have any siggestions for independent and underground artists to feature? Right now, my only sources are searches on myspace and listening to BBC 6's "Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show"

Chekc out "Soul Food" at https://myspace.com/soulfood917

Hello and welcome to Soul Source, send me an email address (click on my name then "send message" and i'll forward a good qualty mp3 of "Dead". Check out "Media Source" on this site for suggestions for your show, loads of soundbites and links to radio shows.

Regards

Tomo

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

There are two different versions of "Dead" by Carolyn Sullivan - the one that's on 'Modern Soul Connoisseurs' is the 'Parental Advisory' version that came out in the USA on Philips, with a softened lyric that includes the line "With The Phone In My Hand, I Try To Call My Man". The (far rarer) version on the "Dead: The Grim Reaper's etc." CD has the same backing track, but is far more stark. On that one, Ms. Sullivan really IS trying to top herself, with a razor blade supplanting Mr. Bell's invention as her preferred weapon of demise. A soul wristslasher in every sense of the term!!!!!

Social source share

There are two different versions of "Dead" by Carolyn Sullivan - the one that's on 'Modern Soul Connoisseurs' is the 'Parental Advisory' version that came out in the USA on Philips, with a softened lyric that includes the line "With The Phone In My Hand, I Try To Call My Man". The (far rarer) version on the "Dead: The Grim Reaper's etc." CD has the same backing track, but is far more stark. On that one, Ms. Sullivan really IS trying to top herself, with a razor blade supplanting Mr. Bell's invention as her preferred weapon of demise. A soul wristslasher in every sense of the term!!!!!

Also came out on the 1973 UK Rediffusion various artists Lp entitled "Hey Paula, Hey Baby, Last Kiss . . . and Other American Teenage Classics", which is probably quite rare now.

Be warned however, apart from Pic & Bill, 'All I Want Is You', 'Dead' is the only decent track on the Lp. God knows how 'Dead' sneaked out mixed in with this lot. Very strange?

Social source share

Anyone familiar with a brilliant version of Dead by Ede Robin? I have never seen it on vinyl but have it on a compilation CD "Down and out, the sad soul of the deep south".

New one on me, any chance of a snippet? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Also came out on the 1973 UK Rediffusion various artists Lp entitled "Hey Paula, Hey Baby, Last Kiss . . . and Other American Teenage Classics", which is probably quite rare now.

Be warned however, apart from Pic & Bill, 'All I Want Is You', 'Dead' is the only decent track on the Lp. God knows how 'Dead' sneaked out mixed in with this lot. Very strange?

It also came out on Soft

Social source share

Sounds perfect for an Amy Winehouse cover then? laugh.gif

Ian D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert