Warrington

• Replies 39
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

For the time that the Parr Hall ran it was a cracking venue - anyone remember the Edwin Starr night, and the lad who had Edwin tattooed on his chest having it signed :lol: .

But being a Warrington lad and knowing what town was like in the 80's, my over riding memory of it was the amount of soulies who got off the train for the nighter, arriving at the Parr Hall with their noses all over their face, courtesy of the the Wires placcie Scouser element'.

Warrington was worse for 'Soulie Violence' than Morecambe, Leicester and Wigan (anyone remember 'China' the scouse flick wearing Wigan lads ring-leader?) put together.

Last time I saw Les and Andy (someone kindly responded to my message in 'AOY' with info about them), a couple of lads who used to be on the circuit in the early 80's.

I contacted the Parr Hall not long back, looking to do a reunion but they weren't at all interested...the fact that the main Cop Shop is 200 yards round the corner may have some bearing these days.

Nice to go back to the place though, it still is run as a concert hall, comedians, bands, and celebrities and the like use it for national tours.

Social source share

I'm from Widnes.Used to live in Warrington a while back,Pete Bennet was in London last time I saw him,went to school with him.Met him at these old shoes do,and thought "that face looks familiar"!!!! :lol:biggrin.gif

Social source share

I'm from Widnes.Used to live in Warrington a while back,Pete Bennet was in London last time I saw him,went to school with him.Met him at these old shoes do,and thought "that face looks familiar"!!!! biggrin.gif:lol:

He lives in Bermondsey, Sarff Lundun now and I'll be seeing him tomorrow night.

Social source share

I contacted the Parr Hall not long back, looking to do a reunion but they weren't at all interested...

Shame that, Barry!.. sad.gif Had some great nite's at T' Parr Hall and would have been great to go back there again........ even more so as it's on our doorstep!..

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Still regard Parr Hall as the best nighters I've ever been to. I always preach on about it but very few people seem to remember it. Loved everything about it, even the 4 hour wait for the train home in the morning. Got so excited when the re-union was announced in the 90s but the night was let down by a crap sound system. Place looked so small as well. It was always huge in my memories!

Social source share

Still regard Parr Hall as the best nighters I've ever been to. I always preach on about it but very few people seem to remember it. Loved everything about it, even the 4 hour wait for the train home in the morning. Got so excited when the re-union was announced in the 90s but the night was let down by a crap sound system. Place looked so small as well. It was always huge in my memories!

That would be when Barry and Pete ran it. Remember going to this, as a punter, and being asked to DJ because someone hadn't turned up, so I did the spot with a few scrounged records and the contents of my sales box. Quite funny really, Barry came up to me and said, "Have you got any records with you ?". Thinking he meant sales I said yes. He replied "Good. You're on in twenty minutes" From memory the problem with the sound system was that one deck played much louder than the other.

Social source share

That would be when Barry and Pete ran it. Remember going to this, as a punter, and being asked to DJ because someone hadn't turned up, so I did the spot with a few scrounged records and the contents of my sales box. Quite funny really, Barry came up to me and said, "Have you got any records with you ?". Thinking he meant sales I said yes. He replied "Good. You're on in twenty minutes" From memory the problem with the sound system was that one deck played much louder than the other.

Same most nights aint it Dave

your on in 20 minutes and all you do is pop in for a pee

but when you do a quickie on the decks its still one of the best

if your sober (Maybe Not)

Social source share

Many Modern left fielders played there also, anyone remember the brief dancefloor smash that was Harvey Mason's ' -'How Does It Feel'? - a definate Parr Hall Biggie!!

Anyone remember a young lad climbing into their motor whilst they were waiting for it to open and asking them to 'talk about football'? :g:

I'd been out with Brian Rae and a few other cohorts in Crewe?Stafford (??) that night and spent an hour rubbing my face into the dewy grass on the park opposite - as to clear my battered head.

Apologies for the purile content, but worth a shot ay? :thumbup:

Social source share

Many Modern left fielders played there also, anyone remember the brief dancefloor smash that was Harvey Mason's ' -'How Does It Feel'? - a definate Parr Hall Biggie!!

Anyone remember a young lad climbing into their motor whilst they were waiting for it to open and asking them to 'talk about football'? :g:

I'd been out with Brian Rae and a few other cohorts in Crewe?Stafford (??) that night and spent an hour rubbing my face into the dewy grass on the park opposite - as to clear my battered head.

Apologies for the purile content, but worth a shot ay? :thumbup:

harvey mason always reminded me of the parr hall too - used to have a great niter tape with it on from there. 'Lets spend some time together' used to get hammered there too

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

I Had some good nights there

with pete Lawson/John Blite and the Nottingham loons

Had a lot of very good times and with a lot of great people.

Never forget when Edwin Starr was on and STEVE MANCHA was there but not appearing live.

Anyway myself and pete Lawson asked for his moniker but we had no paper.So pete gives him a fiver to sign.

And yes he spent it without realising.

A great night as ever.So many stories etc............but x rated. :ohmy:

Social source share

I Had some good nights there

with pete Lawson/John Blite and the Nottingham loons

Had a lot of very good times and with a lot of great people.

Never forget when Edwin Starr was on and STEVE MANCHA was there but not appearing live.

Anyway myself and pete Lawson asked for his moniker but we had no paper.So pete gives him a fiver to sign.

And yes he spent it without realising.

A great night as ever.So many stories etc............but x rated. ph34r.gif

I was there that night too :ohmy: got my photo with man-mountain Steve, he couldn't appear live for some bizzare contractual reason :P he DJ'd with Chris King instead, we stand for some right old shite don't we?

Social source share

Guest frenchie

I was there that night too :rolleyes: got my photo with man-mountain Steve, he couldn't appear live for some bizzare contractual reason :lol: he DJ'd with Chris King instead, we stand for some right old shite don't we?

Eh Tony, me too... I'm the sprite in the green fred perry, F**k, how I've changed. Look at Gaz and Ady!!

King wouldn't allow us to take the photo unless he was in it too!!??

post-5679-1201463802_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest frenchie

Eh Tony, me too... I'm the sprite in the green fred perry, F**k, how I've changed. Look at Gaz and Ady!!

King wouldn't allow us to take the photo unless he was in it too!!??

post-5679-1201463802_thumb.jpg

Tony - Penny's bloody logged in again... Its me Stuart RAith, not some pink pussy in a hat!!

Social source share

Guest Stuart Raith

post-2182-1201464468_thumb.jpg

Tony - Penny's bloody logged in again... Its me Stuart RAith, not some pink pussy in a hat!!

Tony, look at Billy's eyes ;-)))

Social source share

• 2 months later...

I can remember my good friend Mr Edward (SMOKEY) Stokes holding court in the corridor on the far side, had a few laughs in there, some would not feel the same....great days

Spent almost the entire night outside parr hall with smokey looking for some green n clears he had deposited safely under the trees oppposite the nighter only when he said it was a while back and the trees where only bushes at the time of said hiding them did we realise they could have been under anyone of them and it may or may not have even been in warrington. that totally cracked us up. Wouldnt have missed it for the world. :thumbup:

Steve

Social source share

Top niter, we used to travell up from Northamtonshire wild times. Ade Harley, top bloke. Remember just me and my girlfriend at the time lisa travelling home stoppin for a coffee n verbal on the M6 and parking on the south bound but on commin out going onto the Northbound car park and thinking some bastard had nicked me car. Not daring to call the cops we were sculking about for an hour or so till me common sense caught up with me brain....we lived.

Social source share

Spent almost the entire night outside parr hall with smokey looking for some green n clears he had deposited safely under the trees oppposite the nighter only when he said it was a while back and the trees where only bushes at the time of said hiding them did we realise they could have been under anyone of them and it may or may not have even been in warrington. that totally cracked us up. Wouldnt have missed it for the world. :g:

Steve

Not seen Smokey for a couple of years, he still at it?

Social source share

YES HE IS

AND A VERY FUNNY BLOKE HE IS TOO (STILL)

I remember the kit he used to bring with him in the 'back of the van' to nighters - a broom handle and a Fairy Liquid bottle full of emulsion.

It mystified me too, until we passed a poor bloke on the motorway who had the misfortune to be on a motorbike and alongside our van.

Smokey opened the sliding window on the van, sprayed the poor c*nt with emulsion and proceeded to prod him with the broom handle. :g:

Social source share

I remember the kit he used to bring with him in the 'back of the van' to nighters - a broom handle and a Fairy Liquid bottle full of emulsion.

It mystified me too, until we passed a poor bloke on the motorway who had the misfortune to be on a motorbike and alongside our van.

Smokey opened the sliding window on the van, sprayed the poor c*nt with emulsion and proceeded to prod him with the broom handle. laugh.gif

:g:laugh.gif:P:(:lol::unsure:

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Talking off funny moments

one night at parr hall in warrington pete lawson had told me well beforehand he wasnt having any gear whatsover.......then yes a few err of those black bombers were in and after hearing this pete comes over to me and says 'wheres mine then' where I reply 'you said you werent doing any gear' 'I DIDNT MEAN BOMBERS'

Priceless............

mel :thumbup:

Edited by melandthensome
Social source share

I've posted on this before but I was just thinking about some of the lads that used to go - Nick Stevenson, Mr Phoenix etc but also a lad called Chris Morgan (not Bearsoul) and another lad called Nige from Urmston and Paul Murphy from Culcheth who was my Warrington sort of boyfriend for a while, lol! A load of us had our own little chill out area in a side storage room off the main room that was full of chairs piled up,,,I can remember I'd be in my shorts eating ice lollies ( :thumbup: ) and it was freezing so I'd go out every now and then for a dance to Harvey Mason or lee Otis Valentine (The Hytones) to warm up.

Happy Days :wave:

Social source share

Always remember one night before Parr Hall, Cong rang to say he had broken down on the M6 on his way up and said he needed a hammer, a torch and a spanner

So me, my mrs and my mate Dunc drove 20 miles from Wigan with a toffee hammer, a torch with no batteries and a 2&1/2" spanner!!!!

We finally found him hiding in the bushes at knutsford services because he had seen the uniform on the AA man who had to help him and panicked

So we handed him the useless tools and drove away

Well we hid for 20 minutes just watching him look at each thing completely confused, before we sorted him out ( his starter motor had stuck )

Cracking Times

Wasnt Parr Hall also the event that the channel 4 reporters attended???

Social source share

Barry, I used to bump into Smokey a lot at Lowton but since i stopped going i only see him now n again at the odd nighter. Still as daft as a brush, nothing changes :thumbsup:

Steve

The only times I come across Smokey recently have been the times he and his mates have turned up for do's that Kev (Edwards), ex-Carlton, Smiths et al, have put on - still a very charismatic fella, it's funny how people with a history on this scene tend to have that.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert