Denbo

• Replies 26
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Anybody else got one of these by Varetta Dillard with the silver 'odd-shaped' triangular centre?

never seen or heard of a germany release (which doesn't mean there isn't one) but german 45 never had small centers, always big ones...

'triangular center' sounds more like an exotic one, e.g. australian???

Social source share

never seen or heard of a germany release (which doesn't mean there isn't one) but german 45 never had small centers, always big ones...

'triangular center' sounds more like an exotic one, e.g. australian???

No, it's definitely German and it looks fantastic, especially in mint condition.

The vinyl quality is the same as UK but the 'exotic' triangular centre looks amazing.

No picture sleeve.

And why would the Aussie RCA 7" fetch £100? What's so special about the Aussie 45? Is it upsidedown or something? :thumbsup:

Social source share

No, it's definitely German and it looks fantastic, especially in mint condition.

The vinyl quality is the same as UK but the 'exotic' triangular centre looks amazing.

No picture sleeve.

And why would the Aussie RCA 7" fetch £100? What's so special about the Aussie 45? Is it upside down or something? :D

Probably because the population of Australia in the 60's was less than 10 million , that is, less than half what it is now, the music scene was absolutely tiny compared to even the small European countries like Holland and Belgium and the pressing runs of records were so small as to be almost negligible , all the evidence points to a couple of hundred at most (if that) of items like the Sapphires "Gonna Be A Big Thing " on Ampar or the Metros "Since I Found My Baby" on RCA or Patrick Bradley on Ampar or the Jackie Day EP on W & G. The Gloria Scott 45 on Casablanca remains ridiculously tough, and then you have perhaps the biggest prize of all , Billy Wood's "Let Me Make You Happy" on Aussie A & M ....

Social source share

No picture sleeve.

And why would the Aussie RCA 7" fetch £100? What's so special about the Aussie 45? Is it upsidedown or something? :D

any chance of a scan? i honestly can't remember ever seeing a german triangle center 45, the ones i've seen that had such a center turned out to be either non-german or some odd EP...

Social source share

Is the triangular centre part of the disc or is it a later addition?

Looks like its a 'chocolate metal middle' to me.

No, it's an integral part of the record.

Another thing, did you notice how the triangular centre is NOT equal on all sides. Can't remember the mathematical terminilogy for that last comment?

Social source share

No, sorry it doesn't. Why?

Because if it had, it would've been pressed in Norway. Very often during the 60s, records pressed in Norway used to have german labels on them.

The copy you posted up with the plastic tri-centre looks like the german RCA Elvis Presley 45s that I have. The edges of the plastic on the centre are melted into the vinyl/label.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

any chance of a scan? i honestly can't remember ever seeing a german triangle center 45, the ones i've seen that had such a center turned out to be either non-german or some odd EP...

The German triangle centre things are large hole centres but the have little round indents into which these triangle centres fit.

Social source share

The German triangle centre things are large hole centres but the have little round indents into which these triangle centres fit.

Kind of true but I wouldn't want to dislodge one for fear of damaging the paper label, which are easily equal in quality to the UK labels.

Social source share

Because if it had, it would've been pressed in Norway. Very often during the 60s, records pressed in Norway used to have german labels on them.

The copy you posted up with the plastic tri-centre looks like the german RCA Elvis Presley 45s that I have. The edges of the plastic on the centre are melted into the vinyl/label.

It's definitely German as it has 'Made in Germany' very neatly pressed into the runout grooves, unlike the UK labels.

As for the little blobs 'melted' into the vinyl / label. I'm not so sure that's entirely correct. If you hold the 45 up to the light, you can just see a tiny gap, which means to me that the triangular centre is most probably designed to be carefully pushed out, if need be. Not that I would, for fear of damaging the paper label.

Social source share

As for the little blobs 'melted' into the vinyl / label. I'm not so sure that's entirely correct. If you hold the 45 up to the light, you can just see a tiny gap, which means to me that the triangular centre is most probably designed to be carefully pushed out, if need be. Not that I would, for fear of damaging the paper label.

I had a closer look at my Elvis 45s and you're right, the little blobs aren't melted into the vinyl, but they were definitely put there during the manufacturing process by some kind of machine.

I also have one 45 which has got its centre removed and you can clearly see the "gaps".

Social source share

I had a closer look at my Elvis 45s and you're right, the little blobs aren't melted into the vinyl, but they were definitely put there during the manufacturing process by some kind of machine.

I also have one 45 which has got its centre removed and you can clearly see the "gaps".

Also, take a closer look at the triangular centre. It's not symmetrical from all three sides. One side has a slight difference, suggesting it is the 'base' of the triangle.

Look at us, what a pair of nerds :rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert