• Replies 25
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Gavin Page

Spot on Steve!

First time the Rotherham lads heard Sam play it down at Essence we started throwing things in the direction of the decks!

It's kind of a tradition now, whenever Sams on!

laugh.gif

Can I join in next time please !

God I hate this record shout.gif

Social source share

Can I join in next time please !

God I hate this record shout.gif

I LOVE IT!!!!

My Trojan Horse into the modern scene!! I knew all along that all you lot really wanna do is dance around your manbags. Had 6 between me and Dave Withers. Sam probably got it off us and I think Butch bought a copy too.

Did I laugh!! Until I saw last night's finishing price on JM's site.

ROD

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

I bet you did mate :thumbsup: What did you let go for can you remember ?

Man Bag's fooking great :):lol::D

Forgot to say, Bob Cosby sends his regards.

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

I think £70. It was unbelievably catchy but it reminded me of Gonzales too at the time. Yes,say hello to Bob for me. Did he buy a copy off me. He was always moaning that I sold stuff to other people before him but Im sure he got a few worthwhile things from me as I didn't really play favourites apart from maybe Dave the Dentist who was my dentist and the first time he forgot the novacaine did tend to concentrate my mind on things he might like!!!

ROD

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

I think £70. It was unbelievably catchy but it reminded me of Gonzales too at the time. Yes,say hello to Bob for me. Did he buy a copy off me. He was always moaning that I sold stuff to other people before him but Im sure he got a few worthwhile things from me as I didn't really play favourites apart from maybe Dave the Dentist who was my dentist and the first time he forgot the novacaine did tend to concentrate my mind on things he might like!!!

ROD

Never heard Bob play it, so I don't think so :thumbsup: Not really his bag I would have said ?

Yeah I remember him moaning at you when I came with him once. It was the time we got the Jerry Waren 12s :lol:

Mind you he is always moaning :)

Social source share

I LOVE IT!!!!

My Trojan Horse into the modern scene!! I knew all along that all you lot really wanna do is dance around your manbags. Had 6 between me and Dave Withers. Sam probably got it off us and I think Butch bought a copy too.

ROD

Rod, you should change your id to modernsoulsucksexcepttrueimage

Social source share

I didn't really play favourites apart from maybe Dave the Dentist who was my dentist and the first time he forgot the novacaine did tend to concentrate my mind on things he might like!!!ROD

Well that would certainly focus the mind :shhh:

I thought your namesake - The Dearglove was the first out of the traps with it at Yarmouth? :thumbup: It's all very hazy now - to be truthful it was all very hazy back at the time....but I know those Yorkshire boys would never throw anything at Rod - they were on their prayer mats doing "bows" in front of him :yes:

I really can't stand true Image either, but let's not completely hijack Trevski's thread......I also got some bargains out of the Afflicks Palace stall - came along with Sammy several times. Gavin can't remember did you come along with me and Mick the Con when we went to that record fair in Manchester and the M1 was snowed in? It was just after Xmas one year. I know there were three in the car - Mick the Con was there, because he bought one record for £3, and I thought what a waste of a day for him (it took ages to get there and back - one record - £3 :thumbup: ) - but I cannot remember who the 3rd person was.

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Well that would certainly focus the mind :shhh:

I thought your namesake - The Dearglove was the first out of the traps with it at Yarmouth? :thumbup: It's all very hazy now - to be truthful it was all very hazy back at the time....but I know those Yorkshire boys would never throw anything at Rod - they were on their prayer mats doing "bows" in front of him :yes:

I really can't stand true Image either, but let's not completely hijack Trevski's thread......I also got some bargains out of the Afflicks Palace stall - came along with Sammy several times. Gavin can't remember did you come along with me and Mick the Con when we went to that record fair in Manchester and the M1 was snowed in? It was just after Xmas one year. I know there were three in the car - Mick the Con was there, because he bought one record for £3, and I thought what a waste of a day for him (it took ages to get there and back - one record - £3 :thumbup: ) - but I cannot remember who the 3rd person was.

Yes mate and a few weeks later we went to Rob Smiths.

No Mick that time.

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

Yes mate and a few weeks later we went to Rob Smiths.

No Mick that time.

I think he spent up in Manchester and was still broke :thumbup:

Remember going to Rob Smith's Madhouse in Hurts Yard.....yes that was just you and I then. Saw Rob Smith last at Lifeline - he hasn't changed. No hair now but otherwise the same.

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

I think he spent up in Manchester and was still broke :thumbup:

Remember going to Rob Smith's Madhouse in Hurts Yard.....yes that was just you and I then. Saw Rob Smith last at Lifeline - he hasn't changed. No hair now but otherwise the same.

Sorry for Jacking this thread !

No hair, I can not picture that :thumbup:

Social source share

Spot on Steve!

First time the Rotherham lads heard Sam play it down at Essence we started throwing things in the direction of the decks!

It's kind of a tradition now, whenever Sams on!

laugh.gif

This is true! :thumbsup:

Co-incidenlty I've re-discovered this review from an old 'Xmas' related mag - I thought it was topical:

True Image - "I'm not over you" (Super Smash UR 1324)

Comes hurtling out of the speakers at about 75 mph, a careering mix and match of New York City's "I'm doing fine now" and Harold Melvin's "Satisfaction guaranteed", well, near enough not to worry.

The lead swaps and changes like an all night sitting in the House of Commons as it busies along.

That wouldn't be too surprising if this hailed from Philly or New Jersey, but Bill Wright and Thomas Stewart wrote this and the label's based down in Selma, Alabama. Nothing like a traditional Southern side, but a great racey slab of group soul

No offence intended, but I wonder if the 'writer' still has the same thoughts on this record?

Social source share

This is true! laugh.gif

No offence intended, but I wonder if the 'writer' still has the same thoughts on this record?

Probably not John, but to be fair I don't think the writer had ever heard 'Gonzalez' at the time he did the review.

Redkon he was too deep into that 'Detroit / Northern' stuff to have even heard "Haven't Stopped Dancing Yet".

:thumbsup:

Social source share

This is true! :lol:

Co-incidenlty I've re-discovered this review from an old 'Xmas' related mag - I thought it was topical:

True Image - "I'm not over you" (Super Smash UR 1324)

Comes hurtling out of the speakers at about 75 mph, a careering mix and match of New York City's "I'm doing fine now" and Harold Melvin's "Satisfaction guaranteed", well, near enough not to worry.

The lead swaps and changes like an all night sitting in the House of Commons as it busies along.

That wouldn't be too surprising if this hailed from Philly or New Jersey, but Bill Wright and Thomas Stewart wrote this and the label's based down in Selma, Alabama. Nothing like a traditional Southern side, but a great racey slab of group soul

This is why I don't go a bundle on some of the soul mags- you'd get a more realistic review in "The Sun" :D

Anyway Bill Wright is a legend so enough of this, even if I don't like True Image - Is the B side a deep soul gem?

Merry Xmas

Steve

Social source share

Now where were we.....ah yes...True Image, I love this record for exactly what is, as far as I'm concerned.... a great dance record, so there :thumbup: ...... :lol: .......I really do love dancing to it yes.gif

Social source share

For the 'record'... can anyone name the mag (and if you dare - the writer) in which this review originally came from?

The year by the way was - 1992 :lol:

Jeez John, where did those 15 years go?

It was Rodders in the 'Christmas Hamper' issue of VTFS as I recall!

Think he also belatedly tipped "If I Lose Your Love" (Johnnie Taylor) in the same issue.

Crackin little Mag.

Where's the 2007 issue Rod? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert