Ronnie Mcneir - Sitting In My Class - Deto

Ronnie Mcneir - sitting in my class - Deto  

Posted in the following cats/tags.... tags: Forum Clips  Refosoul Rare and Northern Soul Clip library - v4.1 .. view refosoul post

Can we at Soulsource establish the authenticity of this disc,boot then who and why add the bongo`s.cheers Ken

post-1986-1197949011_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 38
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I have one with the arrow across the middle, but I'm sure that's a boot too, i checked in JM's boot guide a while ago.

Mark, I thought that one was a (semi) legal repress, with the instr. on the other side. There's a more amateurish 70's boot with "Isn't she a pretty girl" on the other side and poor sound quality - that's the one scanned above - they couldn't "curve" the print at the bottom of the label!

Social source share

If ya`gonna`boot something,wouldnt you boot the same track?.

Remember Mat Wright playing the 'Bongo' version and announcing it

as an un-issued alternate take!

Never aware that it had been issued/booted and this is the first Ive seen of that label scan,

Far too amateurish for a proper release though - its soo easy to curve text!

M. :thumbup:

Social source share

Remember Mat Wright playing the 'Bongo' version and announcing it

as an un-issued alternate take!

Never aware that it had been issued/booted and this is the first Ive seen of that label scan,

Far too amateurish for a proper release though - its soo easy to curve text!

M. :thumbup:

Could be local issue,like the Natrual four on Boola Boola.......so first issue then :lol:

Social source share

Is this a seventys boot then?

Cant believe ive never seen it before if thats the case, and its only maybe 5-6 yrs ago that I heard the Bongo version.

A boot of what exactly :thumbup:

Social source share

In which case rarer than Major Distributed copies then laugh.giflaugh.gif:D Must be "2k's worth" :thumbup:

IMHO the Bongo`s are a very piss poor attempt at making people think just that!!

Ah - but was it so easy 30 years ago?

Look at your box for the answers! :lol:

Sounds not unlike one of those windup Monkeys we had when we were kids.

:D

Social source share

Ronnie McNeir - Sitting In My Class B/W Isn't She A Pretty Girl - Deto DS 2878 'Nashville Matrix' stamped in deadwax with the delta number DS 2878 and the number 95 etched to the right of 'Nashville' ident. Hope this help's to clear up what a first generation authentic first press original looks like, as Hippo said was bootlegged on a look - a - like pressing with Vocal and Instrumental of 'Sitting In My Class' perhaps Ken's example was lifted from the session tape where the bongo's were added and pressed in the 70's? Ronnie McNeir has a website I think so maybe he would be able to clear this one up or at least tell us how many takes were done at the original recording session?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

post-1475-1197974816_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1197975292_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Ronnie McNeir - Sitting In My Class B/W Isn't She A Pretty Girl - Deto DS 2878 'Nashville Matrix' stamped in deadwax with the delta number DS 2878 and the number 95 etched to the right of 'Nashville' ident. Hope this help's to clear up what a first generation authentic first press original looks like, as Hippo said was bootlegged on a look - a - like pressing with Vocal and Instrumental of 'Sitting In My Class' perhaps Ken's example was lifted from the session tape where the bongo's were added and pressed in the 70's? Ronnie McNeir has a website I think so maybe he would be able to clear this one up or at least tell us how many takes were done at the original recording session?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Send him a link Mark :thumbup: be nice to know for sure...........2k v £20 :lol:

Social source share

Not much help, but I remember this recording coming out, with the bongos etc.

It was definately during the late 70's :thumbup:

But I never really got to know who was behind it, who either pressed it up or imported it or whatever.

I don't think you'd get much out of Ronnie McNeir though, I recall a mate of mine in the mid 80's (ish), who did quite a bit of writing in fanzines at that time getting a rather nasty phone call from Ronnie himself, wanting to know about the bootleg and who was behind it - I assume he was referring to the boot of the original recording though, not the one Ken is asking about.

Needless to say, my mate couldn't really help him :lol:

Social source share

The version with the bongos cameout in late 76 and we all hated it at the time as it wasn't the version we knew. The second one, the lookalike, came at least a year later. That had previously unissued instrumental version on the back. As to where they came from - I reckon they may have both been legit due to the use of mastertapes.

Social source share

Not much help, but I remember this recording coming out, with the bongos etc.

It was definately during the late 70's yes.gif

But I never really got to know who was behind it, who either pressed it up or imported it or whatever.

I don't think you'd get much out of Ronnie McNeir though, I recall a mate of mine in the mid 80's (ish), who did quite a bit of writing in fanzines at that time getting a rather nasty phone call from Ronnie himself, wanting to know about the bootleg and who was behind it - I assume he was referring to the boot of the original recording though, not the one Ken is asking about.

Needless to say, my mate couldn't really help him :shhh:

Ronnie is one of the nicest guys , I always meet him back stage when he is over here in the uk with the fourtops , the first time I met him I took my boot and he was happy to sign it and in fact we sang the track together and my wife sue filmed it on my phone. I will Email him and ask any Questions or Hopefully he may come on here.

post-2690-1198007668_thumb.jpg

Social source share

If ya`gonna`boot something,wouldnt you boot the same track?.

Sorry mis-read your post. Didnt mean to offend.

I didn't notice to be honest, I haven't played in in donkeys ears! :ohmy:

And yes mine is the bongo mix! Bought in late 70s.

Edited by paup-ine
Social source share

Got something back off Ronnie`s team.

Hi Kenneth,

I'm Ronnie's publicist. Ronnie is not a computer person but I can tell you this about 'Sitting In My Class"...Ronnie first recorded that song for Deto when he was around 17 years old. It made a little noise in and around Detroit and then it died. Ronnie pretty much forgot about it until around 1985 while doing a gig in the UK. The audience started yelling out for him to do 'Sitting In My Class", he was stunned but the audience was rather persistent so he stopped his band and did the song on his on. After the show someone came up to him with a 45 to sign.....Ronnie didn't have a clue that record was out after almost 20 years...as far as we know, every copy out there is a bootleg. I can also tell you Ronnie has never received a dime from the sale of the song. However it made him a Northern Soul Star and he has always been very appreciative for the support and love of his UK fans.

Hope that helps,

Millicent

Thanks Millicent/R Mcneir Ken.

Social source share

Ronnie didn't have a clue that record was out after almost 20 years...as far as we know, every copy out there is a bootleg. I can also tell you Ronnie has never received a dime from the sale of the song.

So did Ronnie never know of the original De-To release? Suppose he wouldn't be the first artist to be the last to know :lol: ...so did the two boots come from the producer? Label owner?

Social source share

Chalky told me the other day that he literally bumped into one of the members of The Professionals in Detroit a few months ago and when Chalky asked him about That's Why I Love You, the guy told him that he didn't even know it had been released even locally in Detroit.

That's correct Pete , Craig Westwood was with me in Bert's place a bar In Detroit when Joe asked me if I knew that guy standing over the far side of the room , I said no , Joe said Thats steve and he had a group called The Professionals , well I got all Exited and said call him over , as he approached I started to sing " Girl I really love you " he said Man how you know that , he was shocked that I knew this track , He told me he did not know that it had been released , although he was often told He's group had a 45 out but he's never even seen a copy of the 45. I told him it was massive over here and again he was taken back and surprised.

Social source share

I remember the pressing not having the classroom bells intro that was on the so called original. Cleethorpes WG / 76 big record at the time along with the likes of Little Joe Cook (Against my will????) The pressings were coming so fast they even got the titles wrong.

Ed

By the way, great story about the Professionals. Priceless.

Social source share

I remember the pressing not having the classroom bells intro that was on the so called original. Cleethorpes WG / 76 big record at the time along with the likes of Little Joe Cook (Against my will????) The pressings were coming so fast they even got the titles wrong.

Ed

By the way, great story about the Professionals. Priceless.

Not sure why they did that Against My Will pressing because it had already been pressed as I'm Falling In Love With You Baby!

Social source share

Got something back off Ronnie`s team.

Ronnie pretty much forgot about it until around 1985 while doing a gig in the UK. The audience started yelling out for him to do 'Sitting In My Class", he was stunned but the audience was rather persistent so he stopped his band and did the song on his on. After the show someone came up to him with a 45 to sign.....Ronnie didn't have a clue that record was out after almost 20 years...

That sort of ties in with the phone call my mate had around that time doesn't it?

(see my earlier post)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert