Help Please - Vinyl Scratches

Guest angf

Does anyone know of anybody who can help to clean up vinyl and attempt to take out scratches? Or is there a product out there that anybody can recommend?

Thanks

Social source share

• Replies 37
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Does anyone know of anybody who can help to clean up vinyl and attempt to take out scratches? Or is there a product out there that anybody can recommend?

Thanks

Low grit wet and dry and rub hard 'til smooth..........you won't hear any scratches...or anything else :yes:

Social source share

Thanks

Over the years, people have found many ways of neglecting Vinyl.

If it has spent time witout a cover, which is one of the more common things to happen

you can help by carefully cleaning the Vinyl obviously making sure the Label doesn't get wet.

If it is a U.K. PRESS sometimes a visually scratched record plays extremely well considering.

U.S.A. copies to a similar possibly slighly lesser degree if they are Vinyl.

I have some U.K. records that look terrible but sound almost perfect.

If it is a U.S.A. Styrene and has suffered Needle Burn it may look O.K. but play Terrible,

Nothing can be done to Improve a record that has Needle Burn as far as I am aware.

Cleaning is Always worth a try, it may not be the scratch, but dirt that is the problem.

Mild Soap & Water, I have used the Antibacterial Wipes, & In extreme cases basic Toothpaste which is of course a Mild Abrasive.

Always washed thoroughly afterwards. The Toothpaste can dull the records shine if over used.

A clean soft toothbrush also Invaluable and cheap to buy.

Try cleaning a record of no value first though.

The things that some people have Inflicted on Vinyl records are far worse than gently trying to clean it.

Fortunately I have only had to clean a handful of records in this way, mainly, Junk Shop/Car Boot casualties.

The Antibacterial Wipe, then Soap & Water usually does the trick on a Dirty Record.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I have used Mr Sheen furniture polish on dirty records - spray on (mind the labels) and rub/wrk in the grooves in a swirly motion to work into the grooves. Then immediately play the record and see how much dirt come up out of the grooves - repaeat untill it plays clean. This wont fix deep scratches but appears to allow the stylus needle perhaps to sit lower in the grooves. Also I have heard a friend using Mr Muscle window cleaner in a similar fashion.

I have fixed a record that jumps/skips by pressing down and holding a bit of pressure lightly on the stylus head as it travels over the skip.

I have also used one of those nice quality pencil rubbers to clean up a dirty looking lable - dont use on the paper ones though or on the styrene ones - or use with care.

Its all a bit hit and miss and yes you can either make the record worse of damage the stylus. Could be worth a try if you have nothing to loose.

One thing I would like to try and solve is how to get rid of an edge warp - I have a Darrell Banks "Im the one who really loves you" on a Mint- Vinyl UK Stax demo with an edge warp that is bad enough that the disc wont play without the stylus bouncing off.

Ray

Social source share

If its jumping because of a scratch try lightly scraping a needle/pin through each affected groove under a magnifying glass to recut the path that the stylus follows (angle the needle at about 45 degrees and go in both directions over scratch ....be careful...it can go horribly wrong if you 'cross' grooves by accident :wicked:

It generally works effectively enough to enable the record to play....if you dig too deep by accident you can sometimes hear a slight noise when the stylus passes over the spot, but considering the speed of the rotation it's usually hardly noticeable (especially for DJing)

Same method can be used for slight ticks dues to scratches, bubbles etc in vinyl.

As with previously mentioned methods...try it on an inexpensive record first of all.

Social source share

Ok, listen to someone who knows. I have been in record sales for 20 years and in that time I have come across many ways to clean up vinyl and some times greatly reduce the click of scratches, although it is totally impossible to remove scratches completely.

To clean up records to as clean as you can possibly get them, the best substance to use is 'Isopropanol' This is the alcahol base that is used in CD cleaner, record cleaner ect. If you go to a chemists and ask for some and tell them you are using it to clean records with, they may sell it to you in it's purist form. Failing that, use CD cleaner, it does the same job but the mix is weaker so not quite as effective. Isopropanol gets rid of such problems as finger marks, spilt drinks, hiss and minor crackles on vinyl and does not damage vinyl at all, but it MUST NOT be used on acetates or emidiscs as it will completely destroy them to the point of being non playable. The best way to use it is to put the record on a turntable and set the turntable going at 45rpm. Tip a little of the Isopropanol from the inside of the disc to the outside of the disc making a spiral on the record. Now take a clean soft cloth and putting your finger on the label of the record start to wipe the record with the cloth keeping the record turning with the finger on the label. Work from inside to outside pressing down firmly with the cloth and keeping the record spinning with your finger until the record is dry. Now try playing the record and if it is not to your liking, repeat the process.

To remove scratches as much as humanly possible the best way is to wet the tip of your finger with spit and rub as hard as you can over the scratch until your finger starts to burn with the friction, stop and do it again. You will feel and maybe see bits of dirt coming from the record and some from your finger. This process actively rubs the scratch down as if using rubbing compound, but with no damage to the record. Repeat until the best result is met. Another way is to scratch the scratch with your fingernail across the scratch not with it, you will feel the edges of the scratch when you do this and this is what causes the click, If you scratch the edges down with your fingernail, until it feels smoother, this usually reduces the click, but obviously not get rid of the click or the scratch completely.

Believe me, the above methods DO work if done correctly.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Social source share

Thanks

wd40 spay lots on and play the record with the speed turned up high and the maximum weight on your needle
Social source share

quite a few years ago now i got Chubby & the Turnpikes "I Didn't Try" - i waited a year or so to get it since Pete Smith had listed it at £50 and then it was going for over £200 - i was determined to get one under £200. So when i finally did i was very disapointed that it had 3 clicks at the start. now these clicks were opposite the fingersnaps at the start - so it went "fingersnap, click, fingersnap, click, fingersnap, click". If the clicks where on the 'snaps' it wouldnt be that bad. But as i had waited sooooo long for it, i didnt wnt to return it - so i got the 45 under the kitchen sink tap and had a go at the bad area with my toothbrush...the clicks went and it was then perfect :ohmy:

Edited by Dave Abbott
Social source share

Is it OK to use Isopropanol based products on styrene records? OR just vinyl?

Thanks.

Hi, I have tried it on loads of vinyl records, not really sure about styrene though. Try it an a worthless record first just to test it. I should imagine it will be ok though, it has never done any damage at all to anthing that I have tried it on except for acetates.
Social source share

Iron it under a damp tea towel. Practice first!

Oh yes gotta practice! I first tried this with a very badly warped copy of Chubby Checker you just don't know on UK Cameo and managed to shrink the record from a seven inch to six lol. Since then I've got the hang of it and it does work just use a low heat! :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest soulwaxusa

If dirt is causing surface noise the best method for deep cleaning a record is to cover the record completely with Glass Plus (not on the label of course) . Don't know if they sell it in the UK but they do here in the States. It's similar to Windex (although I have not tried Windex). Now what you do is play the record wet. Don't use a new needle as it may damage the needle over time!!! If the moment you start playing the record you hear an improvement in sound then play till the end of the disc (if not stop and you can discontinue). After playing the disc wet carefully rinse off the remainder solution carefully with water (be mindful of the label) and play again. You should hear a dramatic improvement in sound if dirt was the cause of surface noise. You may have to repeat this process a few times. I have seen dramatic results using this method. I've had mint records play with noise and then I use the process and they play like a mint record should. Likewise I've had off condition records play better using this as well. This will only enhance the play if dirt in the grooves is the culprit! Your needle digs out the deep dirt with the solution while playing the disc. Try it on a cheap record first. Do not use your new $200 stylus either!!! The process works!!! Better than any of those professional VIP cleaner machines. Don't know if it works on LP's as I only use this on 45's!

Social source share

With regards "dirty" records, heard recently that glue applied evenly over the entire playing surface, allowed to dry and then peeled off works a treat. Not tried this myself and I can't remember if a special sort of glue was required. Hopefully "jacksprat" will see this and explain more fully, 'cos he told me in the first place. As with other posters I would also suggest trying any cleaning method on an inexspensive record first.

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Ok, listen to someone who knows. I have been in record sales for 20 years and in that time I have come across many ways to clean up vinyl and some times greatly reduce the click of scratches, although it is totally impossible to remove scratches completely.

To clean up records to as clean as you can possibly get them, the best substance to use is 'Isopropanol' This is the alcahol base that is used in CD cleaner, record cleaner ect. If you go to a chemists and ask for some and tell them you are using it to clean records with, they may sell it to you in it's purist form. Failing that, use CD cleaner, it does the same job but the mix is weaker so not quite as effective. Isopropanol gets rid of such problems as finger marks, spilt drinks, hiss and minor crackles on vinyl and does not damage vinyl at all, but it MUST NOT be used on acetates or emidiscs as it will completely destroy them to the point of being non playable. The best way to use it is to put the record on a turntable and set the turntable going at 45rpm. Tip a little of the Isopropanol from the inside of the disc to the outside of the disc making a spiral on the record. Now take a clean soft cloth and putting your finger on the label of the record start to wipe the record with the cloth keeping the record turning with the finger on the label. Work from inside to outside pressing down firmly with the cloth and keeping the record spinning with your finger until the record is dry. Now try playing the record and if it is not to your liking, repeat the process.

To remove scratches as much as humanly possible the best way is to wet the tip of your finger with spit and rub as hard as you can over the scratch until your finger starts to burn with the friction, stop and do it again. You will feel and maybe see bits of dirt coming from the record and some from your finger. This process actively rubs the scratch down as if using rubbing compound, but with no damage to the record. Repeat until the best result is met. Another way is to scratch the scratch with your fingernail across the scratch not with it, you will feel the edges of the scratch when you do this and this is what causes the click, If you scratch the edges down with your fingernail, until it feels smoother, this usually reduces the click, but obviously not get rid of the click or the scratch completely.

Believe me, the above methods DO work if done correctly.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Through work i get small containers of spray cleaner, called polarclean. It is produced to clean spectacles. This contains 'Isopropanol' and seems to work very well on dirty or slightly scratched records, we also produce a non scratch, lint free cloth which are great and even better cos I get it all free :rolleyes:

QoFxx

Social source share

:rolleyes: people have forgot to say isopropanol is highly inflammable keep away from naked flames or fag's iv'e used it for years you could get it from boots chemist not sure now i now get it from a chemical distributer just of the m62 jnc 27 that was a few years ago and i got 2.5ltr for 15 pounds not bad to say boots charged a fiver for 250m plus its the best thing for cleaning grimy records
Social source share

With regards "dirty" records, heard recently that glue applied evenly over the entire playing surface, allowed to dry and then peeled off works a treat. Not tried this myself and I can't remember if a special sort of glue was required. Hopefully "jacksprat" will see this and explain more fully, 'cos he told me in the first place. As with other posters I would also suggest trying any cleaning method on an inexspensive record first.

Cheers Paul

I have heard this before Paul (although not tried it personally) was told to 'paint' the record with PVA glue, allow to dry and 'flex' the disc to remove the glue - theory is that the dirt has stuck to the glue and lifts out of the grooves :rolleyes:

M.

Social source share

I think I'll stick to my trusty plastic nail brush and soap tongue.gif

Wet the brush and add a little soap, liquid or a bar works the same, then simply brush around the grooves holding the record at an angle so as not to wet the label and rotate it around while brushing, then wash it off under a running tap. Dry it off and that usually does the trick!

It seems to work just as good as most methods mentioned above.

I don't really know what advantage is to be had by using isopropanol - can anyone elaborate on this?

Of course, it will only remove the dust and ground in dirt, it can't remove scratches, but I have managed to stop jumping records by holding a bit more pressure on the top of the arm above the stylus in the faulty area - which sometimes cuts the scratch out. (As mentioned above)

Social source share

I think I'll stick to my trusty plastic nail brush and soap tongue.gif

Wet the brush and add a little soap, liquid or a bar works the same, then simply brush around the grooves holding the record at an angle so as not to wet the label and rotate it around while brushing, then wash it off under a running tap. Dry it off and that usually does the trick!

It seems to work just as good as most methods mentioned above.

I don't really know what advantage is to be had by using isopropanol - can anyone elaborate on this?

Of course, it will only remove the dust and ground in dirt, it can't remove scratches, but I have managed to stop jumping records by holding a bit more pressure on the top of the arm above the stylus in the faulty area - which sometimes cuts the scratch out. (As mentioned above)

The advantage of using isopropanol is that is also also removes any grease i.e. fingerprints ect. and can remove minor scratches if applied correctly. The other benefit is that it evaporates quite quickly so there's no need to rub it dry as much as soap and water which could possibly cause damage if not rubbed with a soft enough cloth. The substance is used professionally in many industries usually for cleaning purposes, I know that it used to be used in the printing industry for cleaning the ink from the printing plates after the printing process. Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

Guest franky m

A remote controle probe combined with an electron microscope should remove any small particles or damage to the playing surface of the 45 ...with care.. :lol:

Social source share

:lol: people have forgot to say isopropanol is highly inflammable keep away from naked flames or fag's iv'e used it for years you could get it from boots chemist not sure now i now get it from a chemical distributer just of the m62 jnc 27 that was a few years ago and i got 2.5ltr for 15 pounds not bad to say boots charged a fiver for 250m plus its the best thing for cleaning grimy records
Maplins sell it 7Quid for 400ml aerosol,11 Quid for 1ltr can(search site for isopropyl)comes with material safety data sheet
Social source share

The best way to remove a scratch/click/jump is obviously to first isolate where the offending dig is, then use your thumb nail, but work back along the groove, against the direction the vinyl spins on your deck.

The damage to the vinyl normally, due to differing directions both the vinyl and the stylus take, leaves any offending damaged vinyl standing out right to left

Sounds dangerous maybe, but it works, just be careful.

Social source share

One thing I would like to try and solve is how to get rid of an edge warp - I have a Darrell Banks "Im the one who really loves you" on a Mint- Vinyl UK Stax demo with an edge warp that is bad enough that the disc wont play without the stylus bouncing off.

Ray

Ray,I have a turntable which has a screw on centre piece,this covers the label completely and does the trick whilst the record is playing.Its a Project,though I mostly use Technics.Maybe you could adapt the centre to use on another turntable?

Regards,

Howard :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert