• Replies 30
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest topcatnumpty1

My fave record of all time,i,ve had both(with Mike Terry credited and the earlier one where he,s not mentioned) as far as i was aware it was only bootlegged on a black and white Mary Jane lookalike about 1977 ish---but i,m old and senile now and may be wrong!!!

Regards

Tony Coleby

That's correct, I have the Label Variation with no credit to "Mike Terry" on the Label, I will check the Matrix and Post.

MaryJane_P-1005-A.jpg

Social source share

My fave record of all time,i,ve had both(with Mike Terry credited and the earlier one where he,s not mentioned) as far as i was aware it was only bootlegged on a black and white Mary Jane lookalike about 1977 ish---but i,m old and senile now and may be wrong!!!

Regards

Tony Coleby

Yes it was bootlegged like this (black and white) in 1977. I remember seeing an original at WIgan, so I coloured in the red bits to make my boot look like an original :lol: This was obviously just before I saw the evils of bootlegging and went to OVO.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

That's correct, I have the Label Variation with no credit to "Mike Terry" on the Label, I will check the Matrix and Post.

MaryJane_P-1005-A.jpg

Should have a Nashville Matrix stamp

Yes, as Ted correctly states,

Originals do have the "Nashville Matrix" both sides.

Nashville_Matrix.jpg

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

omng

Yes it was bootlegged like this (black and white) in 1977. I remember seeing an original at WIgan, so I coloured in the red bits to make my boot look like an original :lol: This was obviously just before I saw the evils of bootlegging and went to OVO.

:) Seem to recall doing that myself Steve - about the same time too! Not the same record. Feckless youth and all that - good times though.

Social source share

Guest Rich Walker

Does anyone have a clip of this? Think i've only heard the Fred Bridges version...

Thanks,

Rich.

*** Sorry my bad, I found one in RefoSoul.

Edited by Rich Walker
Social source share

Remember buying this at Soul Bowl for £6 (those were the day my Friends :) )

Certainly were, I remember my first trip to Kings Lynn, Travelled through the night to be there early.

I was like a Kid in a Sweet Shop, all that lovely Original Vinyl, multiple copies too. :lol:

I went a few times, but that first time I was in Awe, I'll remember it forever, Happy Days. :thumbup:

Social source share

That 'looks' proper to me. I had half a dozen (or more) of these early/mid 70's and that 'looks' just like 'em!

The only Boots knocking around at the time (or soon after - 76/77) were Black & White 'photocopy type labels.

However, these days, with Colour Printers and Colour Laser Copies that could easily be a 'mock up' job on a Carver (or a Colour Copy on a Pressing) so think I'd be very wary because the scan does not show the Nashville Matrix stamp... or at least I can't see it on my monitor.

Went to a guys house recently and he'd quite a few Top Rarities, mounted in frames, on his Record Room wall (Mel Britt / Cecil Washington / Don Gardner / Billy Woods etc.).

They looked amazing... but they were lasers stuck onto old Pop and C&W 45's... purely for effect!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Don't like the fact that the checks don't go to the edge, the black ring around the label, seperating the worn looking white from the pristine white! Looks a bit iffy to me.

Social source share

Don't like the fact that the checks don't go to the edge, the black ring around the label, seperating the worn looking white from the pristine white! Looks a bit iffy to me.

WOULD IT HELP IF I SAY THE LABEL IS NOT A STUCK ON PAPER ONE

BUT ITS MOULDED ON

THE RING YOU SEE SEEMS TO BE WHERE ITS MOULDED OVER A RAISED PORTION OF THE VINYL

WAZZ

Social source share

Mines moulded label/vinyl with nashville matrix on both sides.

P1005B then (1005) 95 on Tell Me side.

P1005AX 95 plus.. a former owner...Geoff Stevens decided to scratch his name in run out ..on Baby Dont You Weep.

Hope any of this info helps Wazz.

Yes, EITHER 95 was used OR 77 for Small Independant Detroit Labels,

According to >>> ANORAKS CORNER <<< "Nashville Matrix"

Invaluable Information on Anoraks Corner - (PRESSING PLANTS) :thumbup:

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Does anyone have a clip of this? Think i've only heard the Fred Bridges version...

Thanks,

Rich.

*** Sorry my bad, I found one in RefoSoul.

Fred Bridges?,different records me thinks!!

Social source share

Mines moulded label/vinyl with nashville matrix on both sides.

P1005B then (1005) 95 on Tell Me side.

P1005AX 95 plus.. a former owner...Geoff Stevens decided to scratch his name in run out ..on Baby Dont You Weep.

Hope any of this info helps Wazz.

HELLO NICK,

WHAT YOU DESCRIBED IS WHAT I GOT EXEPT FOR THE NAME, THE ONLY THING DIFFERENT IS MINE IS CREDITED TO MIKE TERRY AND YOURS AINT, SO WHAT ARE WE SAYING IS MINE OK OR NOT THANKS FOR THE INFO

WAZZ.

Social source share

HELLO NICK,

WHAT YOU DESCRIBED IS WHAT I GOT EXEPT FOR THE NAME, THE ONLY THING DIFFERENT IS MINE IS CREDITED TO MIKE TERRY AND YOURS AINT, SO WHAT ARE WE SAYING IS MINE OK OR NOT THANKS FOR THE INFO

WAZZ.

hi WAZZ

I HAVE TWO COPYS ONE CREDITED TO MIKE TERRY SAME AS YOUR HAS NASHVILLE MAINS STAMP ONLY DIFFERENCE I CAN SEE IS THE ONE I HAVE DOE`S NOT HAVE THE RING AROUND THE OUT SIDE LIKE YOURS ,THE CHECKERED PATTERN REACHES TO THE END WILL PUT A SCAN UP

MINES UP FOR SALE @ £225 :lol:

BEST STEVE T :thumbup:

Edited by steve thomas
Social source share

"Nashville Matrix" clearly Visible, plus the large centre cuts clean through the red & white

checks with no white crescent. Exactly like the Non "Mike Terry" Credit variation.

MaryJane_P-1005-A.jpg

JUST CHECKED ALL MY MARY JANE`S ALL HAVE NASHVILLE MAINS STAMP BUT LAST 3 1007 A / 1008 & 1009 /1010 & 1010 &1111 ALL HAVE ARCHER STAMPS ...NOTE NONE HAVE THE OUTER RING LIKE WAZZ COPY MAYBE DIFFERENT PRESSING PLANT ? WILL SCAN ALL LATER

HOPE THIS HELPS STEVE T

Social source share

As far as I can see, the printing on this label has been made using the "dot matrix" system. Look at the letters, they are made up of tiny dots, as if the label has been scanned from a book, then printed out and stuck onto a white label 45. It wouldn't surprise me if this is just a vinyl carver 7" which someone has stuck a home made label on. :lol:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

It wouldn't surprise me if this is just a vinyl carver 7" which someone has stuck a home made label on. :lol:

I think you're right, Sebastian as I suggested on post 15.

It doesn't have Nashville Matrix yet it DOES have a very dodgy looking scratched on Matrix... and a Lazer Copy style label... so I'd say it's a 'Boot'.... even though it 'looks' like a proper one at first glance!

What's the history of the record? Who owned it previously (UK? US?)... and was it dirt cheap?

Social source share

I think you're right, Sebastian as I suggested on post 15.

It doesn't have Nashville Matrix yet it DOES have a very dodgy looking scratched on Matrix... and a Lazer Copy style label... so I'd say it's a 'Boot'.... even though it 'looks' like a proper one at first glance!

What's the history of the record? Who owned it previously (UK? US?)... and was it dirt cheap?

HELLO,

THE HISTORY, WELL I BOUGHT IT OFF A WELL KNOWN BRITISH DEALER, NOT GOING TO SAY WHO, BOUGHT IT ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO FOR £20, BEEN IN A BOX I NEVER OPEN SINCE I BOUGHT IT TO BE HONEST I WAS SURPRISED WHEN I OPENED THE BOX LAST WEEK WHAT WAS ACUALLY IN THERE, MUST HAVE A GOOD SORT OUT I THINK,

WAZZ.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert