Value For El Anthony?

Guest stromberg

Guest stromberg

and no, I am not thinking of "We've been in love too long", but the rather nice "That's what my lady says" on the Star-Vue label,

any ideas on the price of this one?

many thanks, folks,

best,

stefan

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest stromberg

Paid about 8 for mine from voices back in the early 90s at SouL Essence.

is this still the going rate or a case of those bargain stories I better not hear :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest stromberg

no far from it :D think Steve is rubbing it in a bit. One on the bay earlier this year for over $600 :P

guess which fool bought it and is now wondering if he totally overpaid this record.. :thumbsup::ohmy:

Social source share

Paid about 8 for mine from voices back in the early 90s at SouL Essence.

Hi Steve,

If you fancy making a tidy profit on your £8 investment (triple your money) i have the cash waiting :thumbup:

Great record which share's the main squeeze backing if my memory is correct? ( on the asbach when i got in last night,so still a bit fuzzy headed)

I think it is a hard one to find been looking for a while now, not sure about $600 but then i only pay as little as i can being a right tight arse with my money,or just careful as some might say :D

I'm sure Boba can let us know a bit more about this tune and it's history and availability etc

cheers

Andy Mann

Social source share

Guest stromberg

Hi Steve,

If you fancy making a tidy profit on your £8 investment (triple your money) i have the cash waiting :D

Great record which share's the main squeeze backing if my memory is correct? ( on the asbach when i got in last night,so still a bit fuzzy headed)

I think it is a hard one to find been looking for a while now, not sure about $600 but then i only pay as little as i can being a right tight arse with my money,or just careful as some might say :D

I'm sure Boba can let us know a bit more about this tune and it's history and availability etc

cheers

Andy Mann

I already asked Boba about it and he never found a copy in Chicago :thumbup:

not sure about the same backing as Main squeeze, though..

Social source share

I already asked Boba about it and he never found a copy in Chicago :D

Like i said i was on the brandy last night so Main Squeeze might not be right, maybe lift this hurt or all i need is someone like you by syl Johnson these always confuse me at the best of times

Anyway i think you have a great and maybe rare 45 which i wish i had like so many others

Enjoy

Andy :thumbup:

Social source share

I already asked Boba about it and he never found a copy in Chicago :lol:

Yeah, it doesn't have the same backing as main squeeze. I have an acetate of the track I got from the producer Stormy (same guy as on Twinight) but haven't found an original. Probably all the stock is in the UK. Even the first star-vue one is hard to find (and great), I think people should pick that one up from the little bit of stock that is floating around before it dries up. El Anthony was a member of the Passions on Tower, from Gary, IN., they changed their name to the New Day when he left and was replaced. The backing girls on the record are the lovelites. The first lacindy title by el anthony turns up in chicago but I've also never found the second lacindy title. Dante says he had the second star-vue title once.

Social source share

Lovely tune!

I seem to recall that there's another version of "That's What My Lady Says" (also, I think, on Star-Vue) if i'm not mistaken.

:D

I know The Artistics had an LP track of the same title, but that's not what I'm thinking of.

Help me out someone!

Gary Cape brought the El Anthony track out earlier this year on a wicked comp "South Side Soul Survey".

I've another nice El Anthony 45 - also on Star-Vue - but can't recall the title for the life of me!

Sean

Social source share

anyone got the full Star-Vue listing?

It was Clarence Johnson's Label, Chalky, he'll have the list I bet :D

Off the top of my head:

Teques - "If I Could" / "Why Must It Be"

Brighter Side Of Darkness - "He Made You Mine" pts 1&2

Brighter Side Of Darkness "Because I Love You / Oh Baby"

El Anthony "Sweet Jo Ann"

El Anthony "That's What My Lady Says"

Any more?

Sean

Social source share

It was Clarence Johnson's Label, Chalky, he'll have the list I bet wink.gif

Off the top of my head:

Any more?

Sean

Is he on here :D:P

Your slipping mate, you forgot two flip sides :D

Social source share

Yeh, well I'm trying to write a proposal at the moment and I don't have the mental Bandwidth to do both, 100%.

I'll leave the flipsides to you mate!

Must get this Bugger written befor the X Factor Final!

laugh.gif

Will You Wait and Crying Without A Reason :P

X-Factor :D The Departed for me on Sky movies at 9!

Social source share

It was Clarence Johnson's Label, Chalky, he'll have the list I bet :D

Off the top of my head:

Any more?

Sean

What is "he made you mine"?

There is a johnny thompson record on the label.

Social source share

whats the details of the Johnny Thompson Boba?

I've seen it on ebay a couple of times, it was on a plain red version of the label without the nice label art or logo. i didn't write down the info but can get it from someone who has the record if you need me to try to get the info. It wasn't good either, sort of random funky soul.

I see the brighter side of darkness record "he made you mine" is the a-side of the magic touch 45. Sean, are you saying that it did come out on star-vue with a part 2 on the flip, or was that a mistake? Thanks.

Social source share

I see the brighter side of darkness record "he made you mine" is the a-side of the magic touch 45. Sean, are you saying that it did come out on star-vue with a part 2 on the flip, or was that a mistake? Thanks.

Hi Bob, big fan of "Brighter Side Of Darkness" (ever since I bought "Love Jones" as a lad) and I'm aware "He Made You Mine" came out on Magic Touch but I also read somewhere (was it Robert Pruters book???) that it came out (or was scheduled to come out) on Star-Vue.

I thought I'd include it in the 'top of my head' list but I can't verify it for sure.

A bit like my theory of 'the other version' of "That's What My Lady Says". Any thoughts on that by the way?

One things for sure the output of the label was a bit thin... and the numbering implies there are unlisted releases.

Would certainly love to know for sure.

Sean

Social source share

Hi Bob, big fan of "Brighter Side Of Darkness" (ever since I bought "Love Jones" as a lad) and I'm aware "He Made You Mine" came out on Magic Touch but I also read somewhere (was it Robert Pruters book???) that it came out (or was scheduled to come out) on Star-Vue.

I thought I'd include it in the 'top of my head' list but I can't verify it for sure.

A bit like my theory of 'the other version' of "That's What My Lady Says". Any thoughts on that by the way?

One things for sure the output of the label was a bit thin... and the numbering implies there are unlisted releases.

Would certainly love to know for sure.

Sean

I doubt that it was recorded for star-vue, just because the group had pretty much broken up by the star-vue "oh baby" 45. If you listen to the oh baby 45, it actually has the vows / major iv on it as the harmony backup (listen to it, it's older guys). The magic touch 45 was a reformed version of the group.

Social source share

I doubt that it was recorded for star-vue, just because the group had pretty much broken up by the star-vue "oh baby" 45. If you listen to the oh baby 45, it actually has the vows / major iv on it as the harmony backup (listen to it, it's older guys). The magic touch 45 was a reformed version of the group.

more specifically, the backup was 2 of the majors plus wayne readus, of the original breed / people's choice...

Social source share

I've seen it on ebay a couple of times, it was on a plain red version of the label without the nice label art or logo. i didn't write down the info but can get it from someone who has the record if you need me to try to get the info. It wasn't good either, sort of random funky soul.

If it's no troible mate, wouldn't mind knowing the details.

Social source share

Guest stromberg

I don't recall seeing one for sale anywhere else for sometime.......although memory not what it used to be rolleyes.gif

thanks for all the replies, I take it then that it is quite a rare record that doesn't turn up very often and does not really have a "book price"..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert