Jim G

• Replies 63
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Exemplary principle? Wanting to chop the f*** cables at Newport 65!?

A slight lapse of judgement on Pete's part. No, let's make that a considerable lapse. And let's all be glad that, on that occasion, his desires were not fulfilled.. :lol:

Social source share

we have this thread regularly these days, and theres always the royalty issue that gets brought up

But how many of you who tout the "we must keep it real" banner and also dj, promote etc, check that the venue you are using is PRS licensed ????? Ive brought this up many a time and no one ventures into it, i do because i practice it,

If not your not only breaking the law but defrauding the artist, so what is PRS

Performing Rights Society

The Performing Right Society (PRS) is a non-profit membership organisation which collects licence fees from music users, PRS then distributes the money to its members, the writers and publishers of music, and to affiliated societies worldwide.

This is regardless of whether the music performed is live or by recorded means - be it from a television, a jukebox, or through the internet.

Who needs a PRS Music Licence?

- Any location or premises where music is played and can be heard by the public.

- Any premises outside the home, from clubs to concert halls, from discos to dentists' waiting rooms, and from trains to take aways.

- Usually, the proprietor/manager of the premises is responsible for obtaining a PRS Music Licence.

Is a PRS Music Licence required by law?

Yes.

The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 means that if you use copyright music in public, you must first obtain permission from every writer or composer whose music you intend to play. In the UK, they represent these copyright owners, so a PRS Music Licence gives you the legal permission to play just about any copyright music in the world repertoire. A PRS Music Licence is required regardless of the ownership of any other type of licence.

How long does copyright last?

In the UK, copyright generally lasts for a period of 70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the author, writer dies. If the music originates from outside the European Economic Area (EEA), the copyright lasts for as long as the music is protected by copyright in its country of origin, provided that the length of time does not exceed 70 years.

So by my estimate there are still a lot of tune's around in copyright that are played on the Northern Scene, so the old "the artist or writer wont get owt after all this time" doesn't stand up does it,

So to have real vinyl is one thing (i must admit originals only for me)

We at the friendship have ensured that the venue is PRS registered yes the amount that gets through is probably paltry but hey go the distance and play the tune document it and file it with PRS........ give the people their dues no matter how small

P.S. it doesnt matter what format its played in either CD, MP3, boot, it's the tune that counts, once it is played royalties are due. :ohmy:

Geeoooooordie

Edited by geordiejohnson
Social source share

we have this thread regularly these days, and theres always the royalty issue that gets brought up

But how many of you who tout the "we must keep it real" banner and also dj, promote etc, check that the venue you are using is PRS licensed ????? Ive brought this up many a time and no one ventures into it, i do because i practice it,

If not your not only breaking the law but defrauding the artist, so what is PRS

Performing Rights Society

The Performing Right Society (PRS) is a non-profit membership organisation which collects licence fees from music users, PRS then distributes the money to its members, the writers and publishers of music, and to affiliated societies worldwide.

This is regardless of whether the music performed is live or by recorded means - be it from a television, a jukebox, or through the internet.

Who needs a PRS Music Licence?

- Any location or premises where music is played and can be heard by the public.

- Any premises outside the home, from clubs to concert halls, from discos to dentists' waiting rooms, and from trains to take aways.

- Usually, the proprietor/manager of the premises is responsible for obtaining a PRS Music Licence.

Is a PRS Music Licence required by law?

Yes.

The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 means that if you use copyright music in public, you must first obtain permission from every writer or composer whose music you intend to play. In the UK, they represent these copyright owners, so a PRS Music Licence gives you the legal permission to play just about any copyright music in the world repertoire. A PRS Music Licence is required regardless of the ownership of any other type of licence.

How long does copyright last?

In the UK, copyright generally lasts for a period of 70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the author, writer dies. If the music originates from outside the European Economic Area (EEA), the copyright lasts for as long as the music is protected by copyright in its country of origin, provided that the length of time does not exceed 70 years.

So by my estimate there are still a lot of tune's around in copyright that are played on the Northern Scene, so the old "the artist or writer wont get owt after all this time" doesn't stand up does it,

So to have real vinyl is one thing (i must admit originals only for me)

We at the friendship have ensured that the venue is PRS registered yes the amount that gets through is probably paltry but hey go the distance and play the tune document it and file it with PRS........ give the people their dues no matter how small

Geeoooooordie

And herein lies another urban myth. The one that says that you fill out these forms and cheques for 15p go winging their way across the Atlantic to the needy soul heroes. :lol: Sorry it's not like that.....The reality last time I checked was that ALL of the proceeds were divied up amongst the great and the good in that particular weeks top 20. So the Spicey Girls etc :ohmy: get the dosh and poor old Sam Williams still gets diddley squat.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

And herein lies another urban myth. The one that says that you fill out these forms and cheques for 15p go winging their way across the Atlantic to the needy soul heroes. :lol: Sorry it's not like that.....The reality last time I checked was that ALL of the proceeds were divied up amongst the great and the good in that particular weeks top 20. So the Spicey Girls etc :ohmy: get the dosh and poor old Sam Williams still gets diddley squat.

Shame... how mislead you are, i did say the amount is paltry but, its actually about a 100th of a penny that gets spread across the tunes that are registered as played, but not many people are going to waste any time doing that ...but then if they did maybe it may be more than 100th of a penny :D

Geeooordei

Social source share

Shame... how mislead you are, i did say the amount is paltry but, its actually about a 100th of a penny that gets spread across the tunes that are registered as played, but not many people are going to waste any time doing that ...but then if they did maybe it may be more than 100th of a penny :ohmy:

Geeooordei

Geordie they gave up trying to track down these old artists years and years ago - I repeat the money from listings goes to the artists in the current chart NOT all the obscurios that gets played everywhere. It's unfortunate but true, unless someone can tell me that the system has completely changed in the last 5 years, which I doubt. So your 100th of pennies don't make the original writers etc. they line the pockets of todays top 40 artists. You still want me to write them all down and submit them?

Social source share

ouch your a little touchy, :ohmy:

what you may have read to what actually happens is not the same, contact the prs...they actually have a decent web site...or read the original post it actually explains what the prs do its not the top 20 tunes etc if it was how come bobby womack and co still get royalties for tunes written performed as the valentinos (his own words very recently)

My dig is at the originals only brigade...like i say im one of them but i do go the extra mile.and try to do right.

hey dont loose sweat over it, its only music nobodys preaching

Geeoooordie

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert