Bill Wright - A Man In Love - Midtown

Tsu Tomatoes

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Former Norfolk Village attendee Chris 'The Teacher' Forrest was sure that this record was called "A Man In Love With His Handicapped Son"...

I'd sell you mine, Neil, but you couldn't afford it :lol:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

i take it you missed the one on ebay i got outbid went for more than i thought it would

mark

Sooooooooooooooo cheap and such a 'miss' @ $218 (or just over £100). What a record when you consider the price other so mediocre records go for nowadays.

'A man in love is handicapped some... he's blind and foolish, he's deaf and dumb' ... f*ck all to do with 'no handicapped son' !!!!

Brian :lol:

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

I sold a copy from a recent list at £100.00....had one call on it.......

Where were you?

Chris

Chris

Where are the so called experts when such a stunning record comes up for sale? All chasing mediocrity!

Social source share

Chris

Where are the so called experts when such a stunning record comes up for sale? All chasing mediocrity!

:P

Was always a steady fifteen quider. It won't have even been on the radar for some.

Now it's over a ton there'll be a few taking notice!

But let's not tell 'em all how good it is... until Neil gets his copy eh!

:no:

:lol:

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

:P

Was always a steady fifteen quider. It won't have even been on the radar for some.

Now it's over a ton there'll be a few taking notice!

But let's not tell 'em all how good it is... until Neil gets his copy eh!

Sean

What a record, had it for sooooo many years, starts to make me feel old. Just an absolutely mind blowing track that so knocks many of the currently so called 'in-demanders' of today into a corner, it doesn't even bear thinking about - total quality.....and then some. Soul at it's ultimate .... but there again date stamped after 31 December 1969 so it's bound to be 'disco shite'. Right on brother and all that!!!

Social source share

Sean

What a record, had it for sooooo many years, starts to make me feel old. Just an absolutely mind blowing track that so knocks many of the currently so called 'in-demanders' of today into a corner, it doesn't even bear thinking about - total quality.....and then some. Soul at it's ultimate .... but there again date stamped after 31 December 1969 so it's bound to be 'disco shite'. Right on brother and all that!!!

Right on Brian!

Seriously, it is fabulous. The vocals, the lyrics, the vibe, the whole thing.

Just an awesome Soul record.

Total Quality.

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Right on Brian!

Seriously, it is fabulous. The vocals, the lyrics, the vibe, the whole thing.

Just an awesome Soul record.

Total Quality.

So right Sean

Our so called 'Soul Brothers' clear the floor when this is played, yet jump to their feet when they hear 'The Snake'. Once again 'right on soul brother ... keep the faith' ... oh dear!!

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

did it come out on Smoke City first ?

Not sure Simon ... await to be advised. Have mine on Midtown.. had it for some 15 years or so. Happy to be further educated on this!!

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

did it come out on Smoke City first ?

New one on me. Always had it on Midtown.

I have to say Bill is one of those Atlanta artists who'se never turned in a duffer ever. All of his records are good, including this one which is probably the best of 'em all. Think I got six or seven by him, all worthy records, especially if you like deep.

Social source share

Quality tuneage BUT gotta say that it's been going for bigger bucks for a while now (at least 8+ years) and even when it it was cheap in the Thorne era, it wasn't easy to come across (if that makes sense?).

.............................as luck would have it, I have just come across a couple of good quality record collections with some fantastic 45's in them, this included! As I already have it, it is now for sale, so Neil you can expect a PM from me real soon :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

New one on me. Always had it on Midtown.

I have to say Bill is one of those Atlanta artists who'se never turned in a duffer ever. All of his records are good, including this one which is probably the best of 'em all. Think I got six or seven by him, all worthy records, especially if you like deep.

Yeah I think the Midtown stuff was Smoke City first , John A may be able to confirm :thumbsup:

Social source share

.............................as luck would have it, I have just come across a couple of good quality record collections with some fantastic 45's in them, this included! As I already have it, it is now for sale, so Neil you can expect a PM from me real soon :unsure:

Cheers

Steve

Just spoken to Neil - deal done :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...Think the only one of Bill's to have come out on Smoke City was:

25: Everything Looks Good (Ain't Good) - Vocal and Instrumental

...and I'm pretty sure that was a second release, the first being on Momentum 7107. The vocal was subsequently reissued on Midtown 109, with "You Can't Let Your Left Hand Know (What The Right Is Doing)" on the other side.

I think that "Man In Love" is actually an older recording than the Midtown release (1984 issue date) would suggest. It doesn't sound that different to his 1974 Note classic (also on Columbia) "How Can I Hit The Ball (When You Won't Let Me Bat)".

Agree with all who have remarked what a quality artist he is...

Social source share

Can't Let Your Left Hand Know did come out on Smoke City 110. I held a copy in my hand at Beatin' Rhythm in Manchester a few years ago. I left it as I felt paying £50 for a record I essentially already had (albeit on Midtown) was excessive.

The date on my Midtown copy of A Man In Love says 1978.

Must mention his Tragar 45, You Got A Spell On Me, a tremendous sixties screamer.

Social source share

Can't Let Your Left Hand Know did come out on Smoke City 110. I held a copy in my hand at Beatin' Rhythm in Manchester a few years ago. I left it as I felt paying £50 for a record I essentially already had (albeit on Midtown) was excessive.

Must mention his Tragar 45, You Got A Spell On Me, a tremendous sixties screamer.

Thanks for that Gareth .. now did I see "A man in love " too :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Sorry, I was having a funny five minutes - the P date on my "Man In Love" is also '78 - I acquired it in '84, and that's the date I was looking at on my sleeve.

In my defence I have a cold... whistling.gif

Social source share

...and the B side- great deep thumbup.gif

Social source share

Got my midtown on ebay last year about 40 quid terific soul 45. Not too much interest in that auction copy realy I was very suprised. But it did take me about 2 years to get this 45.

Sean is right these things are knocking about and you just have to be patient but as soon as the price goes up suddenly a flury of activity and everybody starts wanting it.

The tragar one seems a rarer 45 ? I've seen one scratchy copy that I passed on.

The tuska one goes for quite a lot of money but is certainly not his best.

Social source share

Yeah I think the Midtown stuff was Smoke City first , John A may be able to confirm :thumbsup:

I'm sitting here in B'ham Alabama with the great Bill Wright. Bill left the music scene in the early 80's to raise a family, we are now in the final stages of realeasing new music from 10/14 studio in B'ham. Bill says that Midtown was first, started by him in Atlanta, GA., he later started Smoke City in B'ham after moving there. Bill is astounded by the comments from soul music lovers response to his music, but as his new producer I tell him he should not be. His music is good and pure down home soul. We are in the final stages of starting a myspace page and we have original clean 45's for sale. :(

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

I'm sitting here in B'ham Alabama with the great Bill Wright. Bill left the music scene in the early 80's to raise a family, we are now in the final stages of realeasing new music from 10/14 studio in B'ham. Bill says that Midtown was first, started by him in Atlanta, GA., he later started Smoke City in B'ham after moving there. Bill is astounded by the comments from soul music lovers response to his music, but as his new producer I tell him he should not be. His music is good and pure down home soul. We are in the final stages of starting a myspace page and we have original clean 45's for sale. :(

Great to hear from you :thumbsup:

I have sent you a P.M.

Welcome to the Mad House

You may be should put a post in the intro part of the Forum to let every body know you are here.

Merry Christmas

Social source share

• 9 years later...