Guest markus gora

• Replies 9
  • Views 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

just purchased this fab record....after a long,long search... :rolleyes: has anyone detailed information about the singer,the label etc....???

it's jamaican, right, the singer and the label? I have it on some US issue from the 80s I think, I forget the name of the label but run by Jamaicans in NY I think.

Social source share

post-1927-1197581875_thumb.jpg

Also appears on this label.......

Soul Vibes reissue was done in the mid to late 90s in NY, supposedly from the mastertapes.....according to the supplier at the time...

Cheers Girth

That is such a cracking label Gareth (Rahted, not Soul Vibes). I've never heard of it as a label, only as a Jamaican swear / cuss word. What a stunning, majestic record though, I'll never part with my Micron copy.

Jordi

Social source share

Guest markus gora

post-1927-1197581875_thumb.jpg

Also appears on this label.......

Soul Vibes reissue was done in the mid to late 90s in NY, supposedly from the mastertapes.....according to the supplier at the time...

Cheers Girth

soul vibes ? never heard of this label,did they release more like this....i got mine on the micron label-here's the scan...

post-6616-1197628684_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

soul vibes ? never heard of this label,did they release more like this....i got mine on the micron label-here's the scan...

Micron is the first issue, bought mine as a new release from Record Corner in 1974 (or was it '75, I'm having a mare with my dates today...).

To save you worrying over whether there are any more hidden Jamaican soul gems on Mircron, I'm pretty sure the answer is 'no' - the other 20-30 tunes that I have on the label are all reggae, as are all the ones that I've heard, which I don't have...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I think that W.King Cole and Billy Cole is the same person.

As I've said on here before, they are not the same person.

Billy Cole's real name is Winston Francis. He had numerous hits in Jamaica with groups like the Shades and the Techniques, before starting his solo career c. 1968 on Studio One.

He moved to the UK in 1973 after nearly having a hit with his version of "California Dreaming". "Extra Careful" was recorded here in the UK and released here first. I have a white label test pressing of the Power Exchange 45 with the artist credit written in as 'Winston Billycole'...

Lastly and perhaps most importantly, they don't even sound remotely alike. Winston Francis has a sweet voice, more than slightly in the vein of Nat King Cole (to Confuse the issue!). W King Cole, whose only record I'm pretty sure "I Wonder Why" was, sounds much rougher and more akin to, say, Teddy Pendergrass.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert