Tom Jones

Some time ago I spoke to a guy at an all nighter who informed me that a couple of Tom Jones records were played on the scene. I could only think of Playing Hide and Seek & The Only One is this true. If so are they worth anything?

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Some time ago I spoke to a guy at an all nighter who informed me that a couple of Tom Jones records were played on the scene. I could only think of Playing Hide and Seek & The Only One is this true. If so are they worth anything?

"Stop Breaking My Heart" was played c. Yate era - indeed, I think it might have been one of Clarky's picks. Great record that I'd be glad to hear anytime, anywhere...

Not worth more than a fiver, mind you. And it was issued twice on Decca, too...

Social source share

I seem to recall a couple of his records getting played - I think Tony is correct on his post, but can't remember the others. A lot of his stuff has a bit of a soul edge to it - particularly some of the intros. Not sure any of em are worth anything - they were mass produced weren't they.

Social source share

"Stop Breaking My Heart" was played c. Yate era - indeed, I think it might have been one of Clarky's picks. Great record that I'd be glad to hear anytime, anywhere...

Not worth more than a fiver, mind you. And it was issued twice on Decca, too...

I seem to recall that " SBMH " getting plays around 72 / 73 .....

An absolute storming intro , and creditable vocals all the way through : A+ side ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

I seem to recall a couple of his records getting played - I think Tony is correct on his post, but can't remember the others. A lot of his stuff has a bit of a soul edge to it - particularly some of the intros. Not sure any of em are worth anything - they were mass produced weren't they.

TJ's version of JR Bailey 'Love, Love, Love' is definitely worth a listen too.

Paul Capon

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tom made a fair fist of Ronnie Love's "Chills And Fever", too. and I like the things he did with Johnny Bristol in the mid 70s, "I've Got Your Number" and "Memories Don't Leave Like People Do"...

Social source share

in addition to those mentioned already, there's a good versions of Dr John's 'Right Place, Wrong Time', 'Mohair Sam', 'Venus', 'Ain't No Sunshine', 'See Saw', 'Hard to Handle'. plus the first side of the '13 Smash Hits' LP (aka 'Fever Zone' in the US) is all reasonable soul covers ('Get Ready', 'Hold On I'm Coming', etc).

'Hide and Seek', 'the Lonely One', and 'Looking Out My Window' still my favourites though...

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Just can't believe any of this - what the f*ck has Tom Jones got to do with soul music...and I'm Welsh. Please don't confuse any 'backing track' with SOUL.

Where are we going to?

Perhaps nice enough music but definitely NOT soul.

Brian :lol:

Social source share

Just can't believe any of this - what the f*ck has Tom Jones got to do with soul music...and I'm Welsh. Please don't confuse any 'backing track' with SOUL.

Where are we going to?

Brian :thumbsup:

I don't see why a TJ song can't be a soul record. If the vocal are soulful and the backing is soulful then to me it qualifies. So TJ is a successful pop singer who has sung some soul records. What is the problem with that?

Paul

Social source share

Where are we going to?

Brian thumbsup.gif

Depends how you define SOUL I guess. To me you don't have to be black to be soulful. TJ's tone power and quality of voice is fantastic. His ICBTN is as good as Ben E King's. It's clear by the volume of 'soul' covers he did he was very influenced by 'soul' music and he would (and has) define himself as an R and B artist.

He's at least as soulful as Tony Galla if white artists are acceptable and if not why not?

Not sure what you being Welsh has to do with it either?

Social source share

Think you all must have cloth ears if you think Tom Jones is soulful... :lol: I agree with Brian...and I'm only Welsh by marriage :D

Oh yes Motown wanted to sign him, songs were written for him that ended up being sung by the Four Tops....thank God for that is all I can say rolleyes.gif

Northern Soul maybe.....soulful...NO :lol: I don't thinking that shouting soul records loudly means that you're a soul singer IMO

Edited by reg
Social source share

His version of Can't Break The News is far superior to Ben E King's yes.gif

Until playing the clip , I had not heard TJ's version ......

Thank god for BEK .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

I don't see why a TJ song can't be a soul record. If the vocal are soulful and the backing is soulful then to me it qualifies. So TJ is a successful pop singer who has sung some soul records. What is the problem with that?

Paul

mellow.gif I AGREE............ OBVIOUSLY NOT LISTENED TO TOM JONES......... HES GOT A SOULFUL VOICE.......... SHAME HIS CHILLS N FEVER WAS A FLOP I LOVE IT................. NOT TO MENTION I CANT BREAK THE NEWS................

BETTY

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Just like to mention, too, that Tom's killer ballad, "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" (which was a hit), shows that soul is not about where you're from or how well and how often your records fill a floor. Even the great Charles Hodges couldn't undercut TJ on that one...

Social source share

I've not read the whole thread but, and it may have been pointed out earlier, Otis Redding was quoted as saying that Tom Jones was the most soulful singer on earth.

I for one won't argue with that, at the time it was quoted.

Check his early albums out - Ten Bob on boot sales all over the UK.

Social source share

Also I think that, as a point of social (Wigan) history, it should be pointed out that anyone that used to attend Wigan Early Sessions [prior to the Oldies Night] around the Nutty Boy 'Madness'/'Selector' period, like I did (Bus from Wire/Bees Knees/ Get twatted by the Punks and the Wigan Town Lads for yer pennies outside whilst you were waiting)...'It's Not Unusual' sounded Fuckin' Brilliant over that sound system.

Six stone, piss wet through, penniless, bruised, and after being cash-raped by the Wigan Town Lads, still a lad that got in, you just moved over to the right hand door [non-membership] - 'No pushin' at the back please' (cos the Town Lads used to nick your membership card) and paid an extra 25p.

No Hilda Woods, which didn't fulfill your night, but them floorboards were yours - and still are - I have four in me Mams airing cupboard. :thumbup:

Social source share

Where are we going to?

Brian :thumbup:

Brian,

In this eternal debate about what is and isn't soul, one of the most interesting things to look at is the Bill Board and Cash Box Soul / RnB Charts from the 60's.

Remember, these charts were based on what the BLACK AMERICAN listening and buying public were getting into at the time.

Very few WHITE AMERICAN artists , let alone white artists from outside the US , made the Soul Charts from 1964 on.

You can bet that if a "pop" record made the soul charts around that time, then black radio DJ's and black listeners were accepting it as bone fide SOUL music. In a sense, this was the ultimate accolade!

When Tom Jones' "Its Not Unusual" was first released in the US , it instantly received heavy rotation on black radio stations and it duly shot straight to the upper reaches of the Bill Board soul chart. Their black listeners thought Tom was black !!!

So much so that Vee Jay Records immediately rush released a cover version of it by the greatest soul group of all time, the mighty mighty Dells !!! Tom's original won out of course and smashed to the top of pop and soul charts , and the rest, as we say , is history!

But note that , as soon as Tom toured the states , and black radio DJ's realised he was white , they dropped it ....

As I say, everyone should take time out to look at these soul charts and you'll see why acts such as the Righteous Bros and the Young Rascals had several soul chart entries. These acts had real soul credibilty among black listeners.

Even a couple of the Stones' early big hits like "Satisfaction" made the soul charts !!! Spencer Davis Group "I'm A Man" went high on the Soul charts in '67 ... and so on.

And the same principle applied in the 70's when the US soul music scene and black culture was reflected by the legendary syndicated TV show "Soul Train". The first white pop artists to appear on Soul Train were David Bowie and shortly after Elton John - Philadelphia Freedom is a fantastic homage to the Philly Sound !!!!

Make your own conclusions !

Social source share

Where are we going to?

Brian!

Welsh or not, if you don't get it....you just don't get it mate.

Johnny Vanelli, Paul Anka, Dean Parrish, Bobby Paris...da di da....they were Welsh too ay? :thumbup:

Edited by Barry
Social source share

But note that , as soon as Tom toured the states , and black radio DJ's realised he was white , they dropped it ....

I must pick up on this valid point btw - it still goes on - we gave a young four piece band a spot at one of our Soul Nights at the Dome in Brum mid 90's - Eternal - 3 black girls and Jamies missus, 'Louise' - all went fine until the expectant US tour.... when Eternal came home to roost, strangley Louise was offered a solo deal - Black America didn't take too kindly to the band not being all black.

I'm not eulogising here, that was the whole script.

So, from Isley Bros albums with surfers on to, in reality, buy out clauses for white girls in an 'expected' black bandette - has Rosa Parks steel borne fruit, at least in the music industry?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert