Ike Turner

Guest Paul

• Replies 47
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Ignoring all the other stuff regarding Tina, the man was a true Musical Genius. Glad I saw him at the Jazz cafe earlier this year... & got him to sign my copy of New Breed.

RIP Ike.

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Got to agree with Tony and other peoples comments---he will be sorely missed--a lot of comments will be based on the opinions that will come from -"That Film"-- but the guy has a long musical history,and i,ve spoken with folks who saw him at The Twisted Wheel etc. --he was a class act.

Another one joins that great band in the sky(i,d love a front row ticket--once they,ve sorted out the rehearsals!!!)

R.I.P. IKE

Tony Coleby

Another one of the black music's trailblazers has left the stage

RIP Ike

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Gordy --right on --as i said earlier -you got it --let,s hope the film don,t influence too many people

Tony Coleby

R.I.P. Ike

On every news site/channel except Sky.

They'll probably have one sentence later on saying "wifebeater who played music dies" or summat....

He was a bad man yes, but name me a famous musician who's squeaky clean.

Gordy

Social source share

Black musical icon, bit of a flawed genius but they tell me its a thin line..........

Claim to fame will be (hopefully) the fact that he wrote & recorded what is commonly regarded as the 1st rock n roll record............ :huh:

"Rocket 88" (might have been a collaboration with Jackie Branston not sure)

RIP Ike the Kings just lost their Rhythm :huh:

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

He was a bad man yes, but name me a famous musician who's squeaky clean.

Gordy

CliffRichard? :huh:

Actually rumour has it that he's a Thatcher supporter so... Can pondscum be squeeky clean?

Social source share

Gordy --right on --as i said earlier -you got it --let,s hope the film don,t influence too many people

Tony Coleby

I can't discount his musicianship - Ike Turner was one of the greats, and a trailblazer in R & B. But please, the man did beat his wife (as did James Brown, by the way), and one can't just ignore that. Not just beat Tina, but nearly killed her on several occasions. There's just no excuse for that. Where are the "Soul Sisters" on this topic?! Hello? Will the Women Soul Sourcers PLEEEZE step up? Comments?

Social source share

CliffRichard? :lol:

Actually rumour has it that he's a Thatcher supporter so... Can pondscum be squeeky clean?

CR is allegedly a singist , not a musician .......

Ike Turner's two contributions to black music .....

Firstly , for utilising the statement " Beat me baby , 8 to the bar " , to good effect in his music .....

But unfortunately , despite whatever musical credibilty he had , he will be sadly remembered mainly for what he did to Tina ......

" I'll beat you baby , when I've had 8 at the bar " .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

I can't discount his musicianship - Ike Turner was one of the greats, and a trailblazer in R & B. But please, the man did beat his wife (as did James Brown, by the way), and one can't just ignore that. Not just beat Tina, but nearly killed her on several occasions. There's just no excuse for that. Where are the "Soul Sisters" on this topic?! Hello? Will the Women Soul Sourcers PLEEEZE step up? Comments?

I don't know what you are asking from us.

As I see it the two are not linked, you can appreciate the mans musical genius without condoning behaviour in his personal life.

I don't think anyone is saying he was a fantastic husband and a great role model for men.I certainly haven't read anything that makes excuses for his behaviour, they are just paying homage to his musical talent which was, without doubt, great and influential.

Helen

A woman soul sourcer...

BTW domestic violence is not only perpetrated on women and is in fact a hidden and taboo issue for many men and people in same sex relationships.

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Ignore all that stuff about Tina?

Bollox, the man was a knob sack and any one thinks its ok to systematically beat a woman is a dog turd!

Fook his music and fook him.

Spot on.

Social source share

Bollox, the man was a knob sack and any one thinks its ok to systematically beat a woman is a dog turd!

==============

Gotta love you Si :lol:

His musical legacy is outweighed by the fact he beat up women IMO. I have no respect for a man like that!!

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Black musical icon, bit of a flawed genius but they tell me its a thin line..........

Claim to fame will be (hopefully) the fact that he wrote & recorded what is commonly regarded as the 1st rock n roll record............ :thumbup:

"Rocket 88" (might have been a collaboration with Jackie Branston not sure)

RIP Ike the Kings just lost their Rhythm :lol:

Rocket 88 was credited to Jackie Brenston, but is reported to be Ike Turner & His Kings of Rhythm. Still open to conjecture as to whether it really is the 1st rock n' roll record (1951), as "The Fat Man" by Fats Domino dates from 1949.

Another good musician bites the dust.......shame he was a nasty bastard of a woman beater (lowest of the low IMO) and cokehead.

"Sixfoot deep, Mountain High..............."

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest posstot

Rocket 88 was credited to Jackie Brenston, but is reported to be Ike Turner & His Kings of Rhythm. Still open to conjecture as to whether it really is the 1st rock n' roll record (1951), as "The Fat Man" by Fats Domino dates from 1949.

Another good musician bites the dust.......shame he was a nasty bastard of a woman beater (lowest of the low IMO) and cokehead.

"Sixfoot deep, Mountain High..............."

ive seen my mom get a beating from her husband...but he was a great joiner....and my late wifes father was an international rugby player in his day..and he's a self righteous lying cerniving grief abusing bastard.....ike turner was a great,historically renowned musician...still a wife beatin' hot headed low down dirty bastard.

rest in peace...tell me the feck why..

it aint what you do...in life...its the way that you do it. :thumbsup:

Ike Turner is dead...aint no big thing!!......

Social source share

Jackie Brenston was the Kings of Rhythm sax player. He was chosen to sing "Rocket 88" by Ike. so, yes, "Rocket 88" is Ike.

I feel sorry for the lot of you that cannot seperate art from the non-artistic life of the artist. I think you would be throwing A LOT of records away if you staunchly held true to this "I cannot like the art of a bad person" if we heard what our favorite artists were up to behind closed doors. We know of Ike's indescretions because his victim had a voice and a story that so many people wanted to hear. What about the ones we dont know about?

Aside form that, Ike was a pioneer of R&B...one of the architects of soul music...an amazing musician. Who do we have to thank for overdriven guitar? Ike. Who do we have to thank for the arrangement of the modern pop song(along with james brown of course)? Ike. who do we have to thank for one of the first self contained R&B revues? Ike. To say "f*** Ike" and still claim to be a fan of R&B is a contradiction. Yes we ALL know of his dark side...but the music he made is amazing and cannot be dismissed because of his personal actions. Art is art no matter who made it.

Social source share

Ike Turner. Musical genius? Not in my book.

Misogynist and wife beater? Yes. The lowest of the low in my estimation.

Sorry he has died, but he is not sorely missed by me.

Couldn't agree more.

I don't think we should separate the art from the artist and his context. Any art form (music, literature, films, painting, etc) its madeby a human being, as far as I know, and must be understood as a product of the artist and his relation with his enviroment.

So, we can say he was a good musician (far from being a genius, imo), but we also have to state that he was a "#$&&/() who beated his wife. Is as simple as that.

We should never separate the product from the producer.

Cheers...

Edited by Dante
Social source share

Jackie Brenston was the Kings of Rhythm sax player. He was chosen to sing "Rocket 88" by Ike. so, yes, "Rocket 88" is Ike.

I feel sorry for the lot of you that cannot seperate art from the non-artistic life of the artist. I think you would be throwing A LOT of records away if you staunchly held true to this "I cannot like the art of a bad person" if we heard what our favorite artists were up to behind closed doors. We know of Ike's indescretions because his victim had a voice and a story that so many people wanted to hear. What about the ones we dont know about?

Aside form that, Ike was a pioneer of R&B...one of the architects of soul music...an amazing musician. Who do we have to thank for overdriven guitar? Ike. Who do we have to thank for the arrangement of the modern pop song(along with james brown of course)? Ike. who do we have to thank for one of the first self contained R&B revues? Ike. To say "f*** Ike" and still claim to be a fan of R&B is a contradiction. Yes we ALL know of his dark side...but the music he made is amazing and cannot be dismissed because of his personal actions. Art is art no matter who made it.

I must say that I in no way condone what he is alleged to have done.

Problem Is that there are other artists believed to have a similar trait, but may be closer to peoples hearts.

Where do you draw the line.

Together they made Brilliant music, and helped to shape our Soul Scene.

I do have their records in my collection and enjoy listening to them.

I felt that I had to comment on an such an amazing recording career as Ike & Tina Turner.

Anything else beyond that would be unfair for me to comment on.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Mint

975 posts
Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:59 AM
Ike Turner was a seriously talented musician/arranger/songwriter/talent scout, who played piano on recordings sessions from the age of 12. He used put on live shows in the 50's/60's/70's that were the hottest around at the time (the Stones once refused to go on for over an hour after Ike & Tina had opened for them in LA in the early 70's). Yet sadly because of a successfull hollywood movie and Tina's version of the 'Ike and Tina' story, all people will remember him for was he used to beat the crap out of Tina Turner.....
I met Jimmy Thomas (who you all know on here) some years back, who was a singer in the 50's and 60's on Ike's show before and during Tina's time, and was one of the few people who remained friends with both of them after their split. I asked him what he thought of the movie 'What's Love Got To Do With It', and he said simply 'That's Tina's version of what happened'. He said some of it was true, a lot wasn't. For instance, that in the movie it looked like Tina (when she was Annie Mae Bullock) was an innocent country girl that Ike plucked from the crowd at one of his shows, then 'corrupted' and exploited her singing talents. But Tina was already going out with one of Ike's band members and had a child by him, before she hooked up with Ike....
As for the beatings (and someone on here said she was almost beaten to daeth a few times, how do you know that????)Laurence Fishburn (who plays Ike in the Movie) is a lot bigger and more intimidating than Ike. Ike was actually a small skinny whippersnapper of a guy while Tina was a wiry country girl, who was well able to take care of herself from what I've heard and read from band members and singers with the revue. These people (male and female) were on the road with the revue, and there's not a lot you can hide over months long tours and shows. Yet none of them saw Ike beat up Tina, or signs that she had been beaten up.
Women are been beaten up and covering it up successfully, all over the world. And I think any man that beats a woman should be hospitalised.
I don't know what really happened between Ike and Tina, but neither does anybody on here.
Ike Turner has been judged and convicted by a Movie, and Tina's book (one side of the story). Any one of us can be accused of anything, but I hope to get a fair trial before I'm convicted....
Social source share

Guest posstot

it is about seperating what people do...and who they are...for that reason i do dance to records that have ikes input on them and enjoy them...doesnt mean i should like the ignorant peice of shit...art is art...a fist is a fist...a kick is kick!!

Social source share

what about the dozens and dozens of doo wop artists that were heroin addicts?chances are, since they were addicts, they probably robbed people, possibly assaulted people to ge money for their habit...does that mean their records were bad? No. Luther Ingram employed a manager that made Peter Grant look like a nun. Luther and his manager were criminals involved in all sorts of organized crime, does that make his records bad? No.

James Brown had many public indescretions, does that make his music and what he did for soul not valid? No. I am through with trying to make my point. But I have to admit a lot of views in this thread are self serving and self righteous. R&B music would have not gone where it had gone without Ike, plain and simple.

Edited by McLemore
Social source share

Just heard reports that Ike Turner has died, age 76, at home in San Marcos, CA. Paul Mooney
-By a coincidence, recently, I'd been listening, on my portable CD player, to some of his, and Tina's work; will they play 'funky Mule' at his funeral??

Sad news, but we do, at least, have his recordings, like, for example, the original recording of 'I idolize you'; real deep, down and dirty, bluesy song..

R.I.P Ike; you were a real hip guy

Social source share

anyone got a soundfile of Rocket 88 ( I think thats what it's called), credited with being one of the first rock n roll records.

It`s by Jackie Brenston Chalky, don`t have a soundfile but I am sure you will find one while browsing. It´s believed toi be the first record that changed from 78 to 7". It is "available" in both formats (for the first time back in the day) and the 7" is/was worth a lot of money. Very much sought after by R&B and serious Rock`n´Roll collectors.

Marc

Social source share

It`s by Jackie Brenston Chalky, don`t have a soundfile but I am sure you will find one while browsing. It´s believed toi be the first record that changed from 78 to 7". It is "available" in both formats (for the first time back in the day) and the 7" is/was worth a lot of money. Very much sought after by R&B and serious Rock`n´Roll collectors.

Marc

cheers Marc, just found it on youtube....

Social source share

Just heard reports that Ike Turner has died, age 76, at home in San Marcos, CA.

Paul Mooney

Quote from Ike in one of yesterdays free London papers-

"Sure I slapped Tina, and punched her to the ground a few times too. But I never beat her,"

No? Oh, that's all right then.

No great loss IMO.

Social source share

Being a wife beater doesn't make the music crap. It is possible to appreciate the music created, whilst despising the wife beating.

What's better Ike, his faults, his music? Or to have stayed away and never made any music?

Tina Turner's level of superstardom is down to a number of factors. Talent and hard work, clearly being a couple. That effort and her history of abuse in a country like America, made her what she is today.

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

Being a wife beater doean't make the music crap. It is possible to appreciate the music created, whilst despising the wife beating.

What's better Ike, his faults, his music? Or to have stayed away and never made any music?

Tina Turner's level of superstardom is down to a number of factors. Talent and hard work, clearly being a couple. That effort and her history of abuse in a country like America, made her what she is today.

I don't think anyone has said that being a wife beater made the the music crap.

This isn't a concert review - the guy is dead and the natural thing to do unless were going to be extremely narrow minded is to pass comment on what we know of how he lived his life.

I would have been happy for his life to have been a whole lot shorter, but no one obliged.

Social source share

I don't think anyone has said that being a wife beater made the the music crap.

This isn't a concert review - the guy is dead and the natural thing to do unless were going to be extremely narrow minded is to pass comment on what we know of how he lived his life.

I know and we've said he was very talented for the music he created and very much a shit for knocking Tina about. But the two are different things, was the point.

Social source share

the guy is dead and the natural thing to do unless were going to be extremely narrow minded is to pass comment on what we know of how he lived his life.

But what do we know? - We have heard one side of the story - it was made into a film so it's the gospel truth then?

You also make the mistake of judging him by our cocooned cushy values- this is man who witnessed lynchings - one obituary said of his own father.

What I do know - for a fact - is he played a major part in creating the music I have spent my whole life listening to; he brought Howlin' Wolf and Bobby Bland their first exposure and made some fantastic music with his own revue.

R.I.P

Mike

Social source share

But what do we know? - We have heard one side of the story - it was made into a film so it's the gospel truth then?

You also make the mistake of judging him by our cocooned cushy values- this is man who witnessed lynchings - one obituary said of his own father.

What I do know - for a fact - is he played a major part in creating the music I have spent my whole life listening to; he brought Howlin' Wolf and Bobby Bland their first exposure and made some fantastic music with his own revue.

R.I.P

Mike

driven bye the guitar he was a genius[was the film one sided?] p.foster

Social source share

R.I.P

Mike

I've witnessed some pretty nasty things, or more usually the aftermath of them, but I don't go home and beat my wife up.

Please don't presume that I share the "cocooned cushy values" you speak of. I have my own set of values.

Anyway, I've expressed my views and it's about that time of night when I post things I end up regretting, so I'll call it a day on this one.

-Kev

Social source share

Guest SoulBoogieAlex

Ike may have been abbusive, but anybody who invents R&R on his way to Sun studios on the back of a car stalled at highway 61 deserves a little tribute. Ike was one of the greatest guitar players out there. On par with Johnny Guitar Watson if you ask me.

Edited by SoulBoogieAlex
Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

CR is allegedly a singist , not a musician .......

Malc Burton

He plays the guitar...

(Trust me, I got dragged out to one of his concerts back in the early 80s by a then girlfriend. He was better than I expected, but he wasn't even in the same room as The Tower of Power).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert