There's That Beat - Issue 6

Soul-slider

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Totally agree with everyone's comment here, this is the best soul read around and Issue 6 is as good as if not better than all the previous issues, well done Dave, Jason and all the other contributors.

Some great feature this issue but the best feature for me is the Willie Tee article, it doesn't seem 5 minutes since we saw him belting out his classics at Cleethorpes but now sadly deceased, really thankful that we had a chance to see the likes of Willie Tee, Hoagy Lands and other artists before they go that big soul party in the sky.

I still have new copies of issues 1 to 6 inclusive but if you want any let me know soon as they are going quick, £6.50 a copy (£5 + £1.50 p+p).

Regards

Alan

Spot on.......absolute Quality magazine yes.gif

Social source share

Guest veep1296

Hi Alan,

Dave has sold all Issue 3s and may be grateful of your spares as he tries to work out an affordable reprint run.

Must be the "Wisner" article!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Issue six landed last Saturday with me...a couple of handsome dudes in Philly eh!! Twas wonderful indeed. !!

Me too enjoyed Willie Tee in particular...id forgotten about the Margie Joseph 45 connection..must dig it out!

Hope you & Judy are keeping well.

Keep your eyes open for those "Sons of Glendower" !

Regards

David

Social source share

Got to agree 100%, what a fabulous magazine, Great for anoraks & dare I say "Normal Soulies" but you know what I mean. I read it after getting Issue 4 for a friend & after reading every single word, was hooked. I immediately signed up & got Issue 6 within a few day & now I'm waiting for Issues 1-5 to arrive on back order. :lol:

Well done Dave & of course Bev, Carry on the good work,

Spot. :thumbup:

Social source share

Hi Alan,

Dave has sold all Issue 3s and may be grateful of your spares as he tries to work out an affordable reprint run.

Must be the "Wisner" article!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Issue six landed last Saturday with me...a couple of handsome dudes in Philly eh!! Twas wonderful indeed. !!

Me too enjoyed Willie Tee in particular...id forgotten about the Margie Joseph 45 connection..must dig it out!

Hope you & Judy are keeping well.

Keep your eyes open for those "Sons of Glendower" !

Regards

David

Hi Dave,

Bev has already contacted me about issue 3 but unfortunately I'm down to my last copy and that is partially spokenv for, I have had a really big run on all copies recently.

The Wisner article was top notch mate, but then again all the articles have been brilliant.

I see what you mean about the handsome dudes in Philly, Chris Anderton & Shifty with Val Shiveley surely thats a trio not two............ oh you meant you and Dave. Hey I'm envious you must have had a great time there, to visit the famous Frankford Wayne Studios must have been awesome mate.

Judi is fine, hope you and Janet are well.

Hopefully see you soon.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

I have also got copies of issue 6 if any want a copy ??? i will be out and about with them or just drop me a line and i can stick one in the post..Also got a few issue 5 and others left...

Yes great read indeed and nice feedback...All the best for xmas to to Dave/Bev and onwards and upwards with the fanzine...

Steve

Social source share

Mine landed yesterday plus two promotional copies so will be having an easy to enter Email competition on the show www.starpoitradio.com over the next couple of weeks to win the two extra copies that Mr Moore so kindly sent, as ever superb magazine, packed with interesting stuff, just loved 'The Dynamics' item, well written, well put together and just about the best magazine out there.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Thanks for the feedback guys, always good to know what people are thinking. Have to say, when I saw Jason's final graphics on the Wille Tee piece, put together with Colin Dilnot's geat text and John Ridley's 45 scans it really did look and read fantastic. I'm sure Mr Turbinton would have been pleased with the end result. It also brings home how much of a group effort it is to produce each feature. Great work/contributions by all concerned for sure. Rest assured we're busily burrowing/beavering away to bring lots more soul stories to the pages and we're always looking for people to put forward ideas for future features and contribute in any way they like.

Also have to give a shout out to all the people who distribute the magazine too. Great sterling work by fellow fans that is greatly appreciated.

For people who are lookinmg to complete the set as they are published, we now have Issues 1,2,4 and 5 back in stock but in limited numbers. Issue 3 is sold out and we can't reprint. Issues 4 and 5 will shortly be sold out and we can't reprint these Issues either. (Lesson learned on my part there). Future issues will be available though aplenty.

Onward and Upward.

Social source share

Thanks very much for the compliments everybody! I'm really glad that our publication is so well-received! It feels good to take all my years of graphic design training and experience and finally put it toward a subject that I'm passionate about. It also feels great to do a little writing from time to time. Didn't know I had it in me!

I also appreciate the compliments about the Dynamics as well. Fred "Sonny" Baker of the Dynamics is absolute salt of the Earth and he remembers almost everything and everybody. Listening to the names he drops is simply amazing to fans of Northern Soul music. His connections are endless. And as I stated in the article, he randomly "recited" the lyrics to "Lady In Green" by the Magnetics and it sounded like pure poetry. What a sharp guy, so I've got to give him some credit for making me privy to some fantastic and detailed information, which allowed me to write some great content. Plus the pictures of the group are to die for!

Dave and Bev and I are obviously out here trying to make a go of it financially, and that's fine, but the satisfaction of the readers and the real fans of this music is what truly gives us a rush! We're soul fans first and foremost. When we get the oppportunity to speak to people like Weldon A. McDougal III, Jimmy Wisner, Mike Terry and others we absolutely can't wait to share that information with all of you. And when all the text, record scans, artist photos and other little bits come my way, I promise to pull out all the stops on the graphics side and present it to you as best as I possibly can. It's the least we can do for all these great people and records we discuss in the magazine.

Thanks again everyone! We'll keep doing our best for you!

-Jason

PS. We are seriously low on Issue #4, so if you're thinking about ordering, you better hurry! Once it's gone, it's gone!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert