What Other Okeh Titles Don't Exist

boba

I know people on here will know this, since I'm sure people tried to run this label. I'm pretty sure the following two titles don't exist:

7200 - Major Lance - Think Nothing About It / Its Alright

7338 - Cheers - Can't Let You Do It / I'm Glad I Waited

Are there any other soul titles on the label where catalog number / artist / title is known but the record was not actually issued? Thanks.

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I know people on here will know this, since I'm sure people tried to run this label. I'm pretty sure the following two titles don't exist:

Are there any other soul titles on the label where catalog number / artist / title is known but the record was not actually issued? Thanks.

also, if these two titles don't exist, they must be known because of okeh catalogs or records? if so, why are some of the other numbers unknown? Thanks.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

7180 - Major Lance - Hey Little Girl/Um Um Um Um Um Um (presumably an earlier version! the ledgers say 'release cancelled')

7238 - The Vibrations - Gina/The Story Of A Starry Night (copies may exist as it was 'withdrawn' rather than 'cancelled'...)

..are the only two I can add. The other missing numbers would genuinely seem to have not been released, or even allocated possibly...

TONY

Social source share

7180 - Major Lance - Hey Little Girl/Um Um Um Um Um Um (presumably an earlier version! the ledgers say 'release cancelled')

7238 - The Vibrations - Gina/The Story Of A Starry Night (copies may exist as it was 'withdrawn' rather than 'cancelled'...)

..are the only two I can add. The other missing numbers would genuinely seem to have not been released, or even allocated possibly...

TONY

Thanks for the info. Tony, do you know if the 2nd cheers 45 exists as a recordings somewhere? Thanks.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Thanks for the info. Tony, do you know if the 2nd cheers 45 exists as a recordings somewhere? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that the tapes are still in Columbia's vault. There's also an unissued track:

Good Time Girl (mx CCO 6980 - recorded May 2nd 1969)

...which comes from the Okeh 7331 session. The other two tracks for 7338 would seem to be from a totally different session, and that single was scheduled for release on November 11th 1970.

I'm glad I looked all this up for you - I hadn't made the connection between these Cheers and Little Ben and the Cheers, although I suppose it's a fairly obvious one when you think about it!

Social source share

I'm pretty sure that the tapes are still in Columbia's vault. There's also an unissued track:

...which comes from the Okeh 7331 session. The other two tracks for 7338 would seem to be from a totally different session, and that single was scheduled for release on November 11th 1970.

I'm glad I looked all this up for you - I hadn't made the connection between these Cheers and Little Ben and the Cheers, although I suppose it's a fairly obvious one when you think about it!

Yeah, the cheers are from altgeld gardens (housing just south of Chicago), which is where the emotions, lovelites, dynamic heartbeats / wasters, ralph johnson, debonairs on ping, and a bunch of other groups are from. I have the number of one of them, I haven't called it yet but I'll do an interview eventually. Those two modern records by Yohon on Mary Carol are by one of the cheers.

I'd love to eventually hear those unreleased cheers cuts on okeh, I hope they come out on something someday.

Thanks.

Social source share

Cheers, Tony laugh.gif:D

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yeah, the cheers are from altgeld gardens (housing just south of Chicago), which is where the emotions, lovelites, dynamic heartbeats / wasters, ralph johnson, debonairs on ping, and a bunch of other groups are from. I have the number of one of them, I haven't called it yet but I'll do an interview eventually. Those two modern records by Yohon on Mary Carol are by one of the cheers.

I'd love to eventually hear those unreleased cheers cuts on okeh, I hope they come out on something someday.

Thanks.

...Me too. Not half as much as I'd like to hear the 6 unissued Artistics Okeh tracks, mind you!

LB and the C's "Beggar Of Love" is such an incredible record. Surely I can't be the only person to think so...

Social source share

...Me too. Not half as much as I'd like to hear the 6 unissued Artistics Okeh tracks, mind you!

LB and the C's "Beggar Of Love" is such an incredible record. Surely I can't be the only person to think so...

hi Tony,need to pick your brains if that's ok.

Is there any truth that KEN WILLIAMS(and the Babysitters) recorded "Get to know ya", (written by KW, later recorded by Bobby Treetop),for an OKEH session?.

Later it was released on Spectator,,KEV.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Is there any truth that KEN WILLIAMS(and the Babysitters) recorded "Get to know ya", (written by KW, later recorded by Bobby Treetop),for an OKEH session?.

I'll let you know tomorrow if I can access any research that will be able to answer your questions, Kev...

Social source share

Spent YEARS trying to find the Major Lance, Bob, before I realised it didn't come out. Doh!

Awesome version.

It DID come out in Europe though. French Columbia EP or similar (if memory serves me right).

Anyone confirm?

Sean

Social source share

Spent YEARS trying to find the Major Lance, Bob, before I realised it didn't come out. Doh!

Awesome version.

It DID come out in Europe though. French Columbia EP or similar (if memory serves me right).

Anyone confirm?

Sean

I think it did come out on a US jukebox EP actually, Robb K posted a scan of it on soulfuldetroit recently, Lew Stanley had it for auction a while back and I think someone has (or had recently) it on gemm.

Some of those unreleased artistics cuts were on ebay maybe a year or two ago as 10" acetates, one went for like a grand I think.

Social source share

You could always ask Ken himself - his website has his contact details as well as a partial discog and listing of some of the songs he's written. Including "Wait till I Get to know ya"

A-dish-A-tunes

It makes interesting reading too!

I reckon a few of us on here should be able to more than double his 'discography' listings though as there's quite a lot of titles missing that even I can see :shades:

Social source share

I think it did come out on a US jukebox EP actually, Robb K posted a scan of it on soulfuldetroit recently, Lew Stanley had it for auction a while back and I think someone has (or had recently) it on gemm.

Some of those unreleased artistics cuts were on ebay maybe a year or two ago as 10" acetates, one went for like a grand I think.

You're right Bob about the US EP.

I saw it on eBay a couple of years ago.

From memory Butch got it.

Still seem to think there's a European one... but it's been a long day!

Also, remember the Artistics Acetates.

Didn't bid though.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Doesn't appear to be the case - at least, not if it was recorded as either "The Babysitters" or "Ken/Kenny Williams and the Babysitters". I can access info on any group who recorded on Okeh (but not too many solo singers, unless they recorded as a group as well e.g. Billy Butler and the Chanters/Enchanters/Four Enchanters). If this was recorded for Okeh as "something something and the somethings" it would appear in the information that I have.

Sorry!

TONE

Social source share

I was always under the impression.

Ken Williams - Wait Till I get to know you.. was a "Tailor-made"

by the same person who gave us the that horrid record using the backing track of Flirtations - Change My Darkness into light - There was a spate of "tailor mades around 76-ish. It's a bit of a blurrr now, perhaps someone can jog my memory or correct me on it..

Black labels if I remember right..

Social source share

I was always under the impression.

Ken Williams - Wait Till I get to know you.. was a "Tailor-made"

by the same person who gave us the that horrid record using the backing track of Flirtations - Change My Darkness into light - There was a spate of "tailor mades around 76-ish. It's a bit of a blurrr now, perhaps someone can jog my memory or correct me on it..

Black labels if I remember right..

its on a white label John,double sided demo.

Got a feeling that "he who should'nt be mentioned" may have had something to do with it?,,KEV.

Social source share

• 5 months later...

Is this the same as The Players tune on MINIT???

Social source share

Is this the same as The Players tune on MINIT???

I wouldn't know, as it doesn't exist... nor does a recording of it? It would be great to know if a recording did, I'd love to hear it.

I doubt it would be the players song, though, because the players record is an answer record to their own record "he'll be back".

Social source share

its on a white label John,double sided demo.

Got a feeling that "he who should'nt be mentioned" may have had something to do with it?,,KEV.

found out the Ken Williams "Get to know ya",is taken from master tapes originally owned by the Festival records boss.Done as a demo for Bobby Treetop.

Later released as a batch of 200 in '79 on the Spectator label,by the then owner of the master tapes, who shall remain nameless :thumbsup: .

Sorry Boba,nothing to do with Okeh :D .

Social source share

These scans might be of interest lads, bought this from my mate Ian from Aberdeen. It`s a US 7inch single that plays at 33. Great picture cover and all the small cards that would be used within the jukebox on the back cover..... It`s got " think nothing about it " on it. Ian bought it for this track, he was very kind and sold a copy to me.

post-2620-1213211942_thumb.jpg

post-2620-1213212205_thumb.jpg

post-2620-1213212290_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert