Otis - Lest We Forget

Rob Moss

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

This shows how time passes by so very quickly.

Thirty years ago I wrote an Otis Redding tribute for Black Echoes to mark the tenth anniversary of his tragic death. Sometimes it seems like yesterday.

I always remember the date because he died on my tenth birthday.

Rest in peace, Otis.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Otis was the reason I got into Black American music, thanks in no small part to my ex mod uncle lending me his LP collection - I was hooked the moment the needle hit the first track.

Legend.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Otis Redding was one of the greatest 'soul' singers and is still sorely missed.

That's 50% true, Rob - he's still sorely missed, yes, but Otis was not merely 'one of' the greatest soul singers ever - he was THE greatest, and he always will be...

I still play something by him at least every few days, and was in fact listening to the brilliant 'Tell The Truth' album just over 12 hours ago. I have no doubt that I shall be commemorating his passing during the day today with more Otis tunes...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Otis was the reason I got into Black American music, thanks in no small part to my ex mod uncle lending me his LP collection - I was hooked the moment the needle hit the first track.

Legend.

One of the best soul singers of all time.

Come to me and I've been loving you too long two of my all time fav Otis tunes

Edited by Sister Dawn
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

What a year 1967 had been for Otis.

He headlined the "Hit The Road Stax" tour to Europe along with Booker T, Sam & Dave, Eddie Floyd, Carla Thomas et al.

Then that groundbreaking performance at the Monterey Pop Festival.

And by Christmas GONE!

Agree with those who said he had THE definitive soul voice. Sometimes more like a beautiful instrument than a voice!!

MB

Social source share

Agree with all that's been said here, a true soul singer.

I saw the Stax revue at the Finsbury Park Astoria (later the Rainbow), fabulous show, I can still see Otis striding up and down the stage.

One of the endearing things about him was the way he got the lyrics wrong when he covered other people's songs, but that added charm to his versions.

I remember hearing I've Been Loving You Too Long for the first time in 1965, just been packed up by a girl I really liked. Record knocked me sideways. And Respect still takes me back to the clubs of that era.

I can remember when I saw the headlines about his death, a very sad moment for soul music.

Social source share

That's 50% true, Rob - he's still sorely missed, yes, but Otis was not merely 'one of' the greatest soul singers ever - he was THE greatest, and he always will be...

No argument from me on that point Tony! Otis sleep on.

I still play something by him at least every few days, and was in fact listening to the brilliant 'Tell The Truth' album just over 12 hours ago. I have no doubt that I shall be commemorating his passing during the day today with more Otis tunes...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

wilson pickett was just as good as Otis if not better

...Wilson Pickett was almost as good as Otis. Lots of other great singers were almost as good as Otis. I could easily fill a small book with the names of people who were almost as good as Otis....

...But nobody - and I really DO mean nobody - was 'better'. Not James Carr, not OV Wright, not Bobby Womack, not Pickett, not anybody. Anyone who says differently needs to listen again, and listen properly this time... :thumbsup:

Social source share

I agree, there was only one Otis.

With the passing of time it's easy to forget how young he was and how tragically short his life was. He accomplished an awful lot in a very short time and his influence can still be felt today.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

...Wilson Pickett was almost as good as Otis. Lots of other great singers were almost as good as Otis. I could easily fill a small book with the names of people who were almost as good as Otis....

...But nobody - and I really DO mean nobody - was 'better'. Not James Carr, not OV Wright, not Bobby Womack, not Pickett, not anybody. Anyone who says differently needs to listen again, and listen properly this time... :lol:

I'm sure I agree with you Tony... although our dear (late) friend Dave thought different.

I remember him telling me about his encounter with Otis many years ago. He said... "Lovely guy... but no great shakes as a singer!..." (not a patch on James Carr etc.)

I nearly fell off me pint o' Guiness!

You've mentioned four of the finest voices ever on this planet, but, I agree, Otis was certainly up there with 'em.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest 45s and 33s

Otis died before I was born but his music has made a massive impact on my life. Not the most graceful mover on stage but his voice dripped pure emotion.

Ali

Social source share

...But nobody - and I really DO mean nobody - was 'better'. Not James Carr, not OV Wright, not Bobby Womack, not Pickett, not anybody. Anyone who says differently needs to listen again, and listen properly this time... yes.gif

OK Tony, got my tin hat on, sitting under the desk as I write this and have all the curtains closed. Just never got Otis, now Marvin maybe :yes:

Social source share

...But nobody - and I really DO mean nobody - was 'better'. Not James Carr, not OV Wright, not Bobby Womack, not Pickett, not anybody. Anyone who says differently needs to listen again, and listen properly this time... yes.gif

=======

dont agree with you one ounce..

pickett just as soulful on the ballads and FAR more exciting live!

Social source share

Otis Redding...what can one say...for such a young man...what an incredible voice.....my father was a big Otis Redding fan...and owned several of his records and LPS....all these really influenced my love for 60s soul music...what i loved about Otis was his style and delivery especially on the track "Love Man..pure Southern Gospel..,...still remember my parents being shocked by the news of his death.....Delxxx

Social source share

No argument with that at all from me. They were some who were nearly as good, like the above and David Ruffin and Levi Stubbs too, but Otis just was the epitome of soul singers for me.

Social source share

I've said it on here before but I always wondered how his career would have developed if he was still alive(along with Sam Cooke of course)

Can anyone imagine a show with Otis, Sam and Marvin on the stage, all at he same time.

Think that line up could be a little bit magical. biggrin.gif

Social source share

I didn't realise it was the aniversary but how spooky...I started reading "The Otis Redding Story" by Scott Freeman this morning by complete coincidence.

To slightly deviate from the debate about whether he was the greatest Soul singer or not, I interviewed Dan Penn for manifesto amd he said he snuck into the "Sweeet Soul Music" - Arthur Conley recording session and that to his mind Otis was the best record producer he had ever seen in action. Dan has an incredible eye for details, he told me that what he remembers about the Wilson Pickett sessions with Rick Hall was how the very clean carpets at the studio were throwing up dust because Wilson was stomping his feet so hard while singing,and he can be quite a caustic critic too, so for him to say that Otis was the best producer ever is some compliment. Dan Penn wasn't exactly a slouch at making records himself was he?

In the book Bill Graham, the famous San Francisco promoter, is quoted as saying that Otis was simply the best peformer he had ever seen on stage too.

Social source share

Listened to Otis Blue this afternoon - glad someone started a thread.

Not only a great loss as a performer / producer - but also knocked the stuffing out of Stax Records... they never really recovered from his loss did they?

Social source share

Otis was the greatest and most talented soul singer ever. Ben is a remarkable gentleman(he was the trumpet player BTW), saw him in what could possibly be the worlds greatest wedding band a couple months ago at a wedding here in Memphis(in addition to Ben, there was Skip Pitts on guitar and John Gary Williams on vocals) if you have ever heard him personally tell the story of the plane crash, it is quite an experience to hear him tell it...

also a curious fact about the crash that never gets brought up, but it is down right spooky...the opening act for the last show before the crash was a garage band called The Grim Reapers...

Edited by McLemore
Social source share

Agree with all these comments. He was already massive by 1967, & most of the glitterati of the rock world were in absolute awe of him. Bob Dylan is supposed to have written 'Just Like A Woman' for him, showing him the chords to the song backstage at the whiskey-a-go-go in LA before he'd even recorded it himself. What might have been...

Social source share

Otis was the greatest and most talented soul singer ever.

I would definitely rank him in the top three. Flanked by Sam Cooke & Jackie Wilson.

I remember watching one of those Atlantic documentaries with Otis Redding's brother, recounting how Otis used to win the local talent contest every week. And due to segregation his (white) manager Phil Walden used to listen to the show in the car parked out front.

Booker T saying how he played piano on Otis's audition 'These Arms of Mine' at Stax and was concentrating more on listening than playing. Still an awesome track imo.

Rogers Redding was in tears by the end of the interview and Phil Walden said he had contemplated suicide and still cry's over Otis Redding, such was the shock and the loss. Very sad.

Who else could have turned Hippies on to Soul? Sad that he never got to hear 'Dock of The Bay' finished. Last words to Phil Walden "Gotta earn that dollar"

"> Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

I would definitely rank him in the top three. Flanked by Sam Cooke & Jackie Wilson.

I remember watching one of those Atlantic documentaries with Otis Redding's brother, recounting how Otis used to win the local talent contest every week. And due to segregation his (white) manager Phil Walden used to listen to the show in the car parked out front.

Booker T saying how he played piano on Otis's audition 'These Arms of Mine' at Stax and was concentrating more on listening than playing. Still an awesome track imo.

Rogers Redding was in tears by the end of the interview and Phil Walden said he had contemplated suicide and still cry's over Otis Redding, such was the shock and the loss. Very sad.

Who else could have turned Hippies on to Soul? Sad that he never got to hear 'Dock of The Bay' finished. Last words to Phil Walden "Gotta earn that dollar"

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

hate to upset anybody but he did not do a thing at all for me.tried in the beginning,tried in the middle and even now 30 plus years in nada.
Why should your personal viewpoint and taste upset anybody? Would have been nice to hear a slightly more detailed championing of your own heroe's and the case for their elevation above Otis Redding.
Social source share

Why should your personal viewpoint and taste upset anybody?

Agree with that. :thumbsup:

Would have been nice to hear a slightly more detailed championing of your own heroe's and the case for their elevation above Otis Redding.

Disagree with that. This it the Otis 'Lest We Forget' thread. Not the Otis was crap, this lot were better and here's the reason why thread... :ohmy:

Social source share

AT 4039 'Respect' by Otis Redding was the first proper soul record I ever bought.

Eventually I got around to playing the other side and I recall thinking 'What the f**k is this music?'

It's practically controlled my life ever since!

Social source share

For me Otis is the reason i`m here...he started it all when i played my Dads Otis Lps, still the king and those tunes still make my spine tingle...

Just the other day i played a few tunes off the same Lp...(My Dad hasn`t noticed it missing!!) and had the same feeling in my soul i had 20 odd years ago when i played stuff like "Down in the valley", "Cigerettes and coffee" "A change is gonna come", "Thats how strong my love is" etc etc...

Chris

Social source share

Agree with that. :huh:

Disagree with that. This it the Otis 'Lest We Forget' thread. Not the Otis was crap, this lot were better and here's the reason why thread... :huh:

Understand exactly what you are saying and yes, you are right, I think memorium threads should be treated as tribute only sections. The trouble is, instead of respecting that principal, there are always going to be people who flippantly disregard it....

Which raises a good question.

For instance if it was a prominent english soul fan who died and there was a tribute thread on here, would posts questioning his real commitment to the music be left on? I somehow doubt it.

So why should a site dedicated to Soul Music allow posts (On a tribute thread) that diss one of the music's acknowledged greats?

Perhaps we ought to use this opportunity now to ask that the site creates a new rule for tribute threads.

Social source share

Understand exactly what you are saying and yes, you are right, I think memorium threads should be treated as tribute only sections. The trouble is, instead of respecting that principal, there are always going to be people who flippantly disregard it....

Which raises a good question.

For instance if it was a prominent english soul fan who died and there was a tribute thread on here, would posts questioning his real commitment to the music be left on? I somehow doubt it.

So why should a site dedicated to Soul Music allow posts (On a tribute thread) that diss one of the music's acknowledged greats?

Perhaps we ought to use this opportunity now to ask that the site creates a new rule for tribute threads.

These kind of questions are best asked in the Members Feedback (Tech Area) Section.

Welcome to Soul Source btw, perhaps I could ask you to post an intro thread in the intro section, as is customary.

Thanks. :huh:

Social source share

Curtis Mayfield got me into Northern Soul.

Otis Redding got me into Soul.

I bought a double LP on Atlantic "Best Of Otis Redding", the one where his face is made up from newspaper bits with the red and white gatefold sleeve. I bought it as I thought at the time (in my early 20s) that "I Can't Turn You Loose" and "Love Man" were Northern tracks! His voice blew me away and now I know and love deep soul too.

Gordy

Social source share

These kind of questions are best asked in the Members Feedback (Tech Area) Section.

Welcome to Soul Source btw, perhaps I could ask you to post an intro thread in the intro section, as is customary.

Thanks. :huh:

Will do, great site by the way.
Social source share

40 bloody years wow where'd that all go?

Sad times, I was starting serious revising for "O" levels when OR died

Not getting into a debate about how good OR was or any comparisons just this..........

Listen people listen

I'm gonna sing you a song

About a man who lived good

but he didn't live too long

He was born in Macon, Georgia

A poor boy without a dime............................

Fantastic song by William Bell on lt blue Stax "Tribute To A King"

Think that says it all

40 bloody years OMG :huh:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert