Guest Brian J

• Replies 35
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

You can say what you like about Ian Levine and his music/film but if he hadn't had the foresight to film all of these people there would be no record of them whatsoever - look at all the artists who've passed away since the release of the film - Ray Pollard, Freddy Butler, Emanuel Laskey, The Carstairs, Jackie Day, Bobby Sheen, the list sadly goes on and on

"> Edited by Pete S
Social source share

You can say what you like about Ian Levine and his music/film but if he hadn't had the foresight to film all of these people there would be no record of them whatsoever - look at all the artists who've passed away since the release of the film - Ray Pollard, Freddy Butler, Emanuel Laskey, The Carstairs, Jackie Day, Bobby Sheen, the list sadly goes on and on

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Always remember hearing our kid spinning his material way back in 1971.

A great and true Legend.......I will be spinning his records in memory.

THANK YOU MR RELF.........R.I.P.

post-6164-1197216044_thumb.jpg

Social source share

">

Social source share

">

Social source share

I've said before that the historic importance of SWONS will increase as time passes and more of us pass away.

Bob Relf became very ill soon after the filming and for several years he spent a lot of time in hospital.

At least he died peacefully at home with his mother who had cared so well for him.

I'll miss him as a friend and a client.

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

Edited by Paul
Social source share

From the website www.millbrand.com

BOB RELF passed away on Wednesday, November 21st, at the home he shared with his mother in Bakersfield, California. He was aged 70.

Bob had been ill for several years and had received loving care from his mother Idabelle Craft who is 89 years of age. Her remarkable strength comes from her strong faith.

Robert Nelson Relf was born in Los Angeles on January 10th, 1937. He is best known for his hits with Earl Nelson as Bob & Earl (most notably "Harlem Shuffle" which was covered by many including The Rolling Stones) but he was also a gifted writer and a staff producer for Randy Wood's Mirwood label, headed by A&R chief Fred Smith. In their attempts to emulate the Motown sound, they unwittingly created their own Mirwood sound which was enhanced by the dramatic arrangements of James Carmichael.

Relf's solo career wasn't very successful but he was highly regarded by soul fans who treasure his recordings - particularly "Blowing My Mind To Pieces" which is one of the most popular 'northern soul' soul hits of all time.

He used the pseudonym 'Bobby Garrett' for two Mirwood singles in 1966. The catchy "I Can't Get Away" became a 'northern soul' favourite in the UK and was used to advertise Kentucky Fried Chicken on national TV. Also popular with 'northern soul' fans is "My Little Girl" which was the flip side of the neglected ballad "Big Brother".

"Blowing My Mind To Pieces" was recorded in 1968 at Ray Charles' RPM studios in Los Angeles. Relf wrote the song (without credit) which was issued on Trans-American on the flip side of "Girl You're My Kind Of Wonderful". "Blowing My Mind To Pieces" became so popular that it was reissued - and bootlegged - in 1973 to satisfy the huge demand.

A 'new' version of the song was recorded in 1975 by an unknown impostor masquerading as 'Bob Relf'. The man behind the bizarre scam was Simon Soussan, an infamous bootlegger turned producer. The original version is available on dozens of compilations and has been featured on videos, DVDs and TV broadcasts.

In the early '70s Relf worked with Barry White who was then on the verge of major stardom. As youngsters they had sung in groups together and White had played piano on "Harlem Shuffle" back in 1963. Relf wrote and produced for White and for several of his acts including Love Unlimited, Gloria Scott and White Heat. One of Relf's finest songs, the haunting ballad "Bring Back My Yesterday", was recorded by Barry White in 1973 on his ground-breaking album I've Got So Much To Give.

Millbrand acquired publishing and master rights to "Blowing My Mind To Pieces" in 2004 and took actions to recover income from previous unauthorised uses. Just before Relf passed away, Millbrand MD Paul Mooney confirmed that "Blowing My Mind To Pieces" is scheduled for its first legal reissue to tie in with a new movie which features the song.

Social source share

Very sad news indeed, Bob's recordings are some of my favourites of all time, they never seem to age, my favourite being My little girl swiftly followed by Girl, You're my kind of wonderful. Like Pete's already mentioned the artists we saw on SWONS are probably the only memories we will have of ever seeing them.

Best

Alan

Social source share

Grim news indeed. As with many on here, Blowin' My Mind To Pieces was one of those immediate impact sounds that got me onboard at the tender age of 14. We owe him a lot. RIP Robert.

M

p.s. Fully agree with Pete's comments. I still watch SWONS from time to time.

Edited by macca
Social source share

From the website www.millbrand.com

BOB RELF passed away on Wednesday, November 21st, at the home he shared with his mother in Bakersfield, California. He was aged 70.

Bob had been ill for several years and had received loving care from his mother Idabelle Craft who is 89 years of age. Her remarkable strength comes from her strong faith.

Robert Nelson Relf was born in Los Angeles on January 10th, 1937. He is best known for his hits with Earl Nelson as Bob & Earl (most notably "Harlem Shuffle" which was covered by many including The Rolling Stones) but he was also a gifted writer and a staff producer for Randy Wood's Mirwood label, headed by A&R chief Fred Smith. In their attempts to emulate the Motown sound, they unwittingly created their own Mirwood sound which was enhanced by the dramatic arrangements of James Carmichael.

Relf's solo career wasn't very successful but he was highly regarded by soul fans who treasure his recordings - particularly "Blowing My Mind To Pieces" which is one of the most popular 'northern soul' soul hits of all time.

He used the pseudonym 'Bobby Garrett' for two Mirwood singles in 1966. The catchy "I Can't Get Away" became a 'northern soul' favourite in the UK and was used to advertise Kentucky Fried Chicken on national TV. Also popular with 'northern soul' fans is "My Little Girl" which was the flip side of the neglected ballad "Big Brother".

"Blowing My Mind To Pieces" was recorded in 1968 at Ray Charles' RPM studios in Los Angeles. Relf wrote the song (without credit) which was issued on Trans-American on the flip side of "Girl You're My Kind Of Wonderful". "Blowing My Mind To Pieces" became so popular that it was reissued - and bootlegged - in 1973 to satisfy the huge demand.

A 'new' version of the song was recorded in 1975 by an unknown impostor masquerading as 'Bob Relf'. The man behind the bizarre scam was Simon Soussan, an infamous bootlegger turned producer. The original version is available on dozens of compilations and has been featured on videos, DVDs and TV broadcasts.

In the early '70s Relf worked with Barry White who was then on the verge of major stardom. As youngsters they had sung in groups together and White had played piano on "Harlem Shuffle" back in 1963. Relf wrote and produced for White and for several of his acts including Love Unlimited, Gloria Scott and White Heat. One of Relf's finest songs, the haunting ballad "Bring Back My Yesterday", was recorded by Barry White in 1973 on his ground-breaking album I've Got So Much To Give.

Millbrand acquired publishing and master rights to "Blowing My Mind To Pieces" in 2004 and took actions to recover income from previous unauthorised uses. Just before Relf passed away, Millbrand MD Paul Mooney confirmed that "Blowing My Mind To Pieces" is scheduled for its first legal reissue to tie in with a new movie which features the song.

Seem to recall hearing Bob's -Blowing my mind to pieces at the Doncaster Top Rank in the early seventies then buying the yellow boot . In my all time top ten fave records and having the SWONS video i echo

the sentiments of everyone else regardings Ian's work.

Social source share

Guest franky m

">

Social source share

Very sad news, indeed! Seems I was living only a few miles from him and didn't even know it! "BMMTP" was one first soul tunes I ever heard and secured my obsession with rare soul. After hearing how close he was to me, I'd have loved the chance to thank him in person. Shame it's too late.....

Social source share

Guest CliftonHall1

Just heard of the sad death of Bob Relf, who died in Bakersfield, California,

on November 21, aged 70 years.

MASSIVE loss to the Rare Soul Scene, i'll have to dig my "Blowin" copy out and have a cuddle.

Living in Bakersfield CA?, wish i had known passed by on way to Vegas some time back and came across a little book store with, yes, floor to ceiling 45's in the back room. William Powel, Jerry Fuller issues, etc etc. Made up for saddle sore ride but further hit in Lancaster.

Bakersfield birth place of Marilyn Monroe.

Toodle Pip.

Social source share

Dave Godin's Deep Soul Vol 4 CD contains Bob and Earls "Don't Ever Leave Me."

Certainly very poetic following this news.

Thanks for the memories.

RIP.

Dave was a massive fan of theirs and showed a lot of people, myself included, that Bob & Earl were much more than purveyors of stunning dancers, they were true artists at any form of soul music. He got to speak with both of them and passed on his and our admiration for them directly.

Social source share

Hello,

Bob and his mother had only lived in Bakersfield for less than two years, during which time he was housebound or in hospital. Prior to that they lived in Diamond Bar which is where the SWONS footage was filmed.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Very sad news, indeed! Seems I was living only a few miles from him and didn't even know it! "BMMTP" was one first soul tunes I ever heard and secured my obsession with rare soul. After hearing how close he was to me, I'd have loved the chance to thank him in person. Shame it's too late.....

Agree with you Mike sad news was so close now so far!

DJ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert