Wand 70s Releases

Picked up Philadelphia Story ' If You Lived' on Wand - Nice ballad/group 45. Got me thinking which was the last Wand 45 to be released on the Black/White 60s label and then in turn the red & 'Patterned' label thru the 70s. Was this a change in distribution / picking up 45s from other labels? (The 45 mentioned has the Roadshow logo on). I sometimes think we forget the 70s releases of labels like Wand. Anyone for more favourites/tips/info?

Best

Rich

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Picked up Philadelphia Story ' If You Lived' on Wand - Nice ballad/group 45. Got me thinking which was the last Wand 45 to be released on the Black/White 60s label and then in turn the red & 'Patterned' label thru the 70s. Was this a change in distribution / picking up 45s from other labels? (The 45 mentioned has the Roadshow logo on). I sometimes think we forget the 70s releases of labels like Wand. Anyone for more favourites/tips/info?

Best

Rich

Think I just about got em all, and there are loads of good ones....though I have never seen the 2nd Reflection 45 or the second Lee Charles 45, and think these might not exist :P The label printed both b&w and multi coloured "picture of sick" logos in parallel for a long time, with represses etc making it all more confusing. Would have to check, but I think the b&w ones go up to about 11250 ish with the Independents, although there are plenty of earleier "sick" logo ones.

Wand was an indie and had it's own distribution company Scepter / Wand. Their distribution was very hit and miss with a number of releases only being distributed in one city to try them out. If they flopped that was it. This goes some way to explaining why some titles are hard as nails to find and others not so.

Social source share

Guest howieparis

I always loved the Idependents 'I Love You Yes I Do' on Wand 11252 (black & white label)

sorry can't do souldfiles at the mo' but will come back on it, if anybody's interested...

there are loads of copies on ebay, both the black & white and the 'red patterned' ones

dog-cheap btw.... CHOON :P

Howie

Edited by howieparis
Social source share

Think I just about got em all, and there are loads of good ones....though I have never seen the 2nd Reflection 45 or the second Lee Charles 45, and think these might not exist :P The label printed both b&w and multi coloured "picture of sick" logos in parallel for a long time, with represses etc making it all more confusing. Would have to check, but I think the b&w ones go up to about 11250 ish with the Independents, although there are plenty of earleier "sick" logo ones.

Wand was an indie and had it's own distribution company Scepter / Wand. Their distribution was very hit and miss with a number of releases only being distributed in one city to try them out. If they flopped that was it. This goes some way to explaining why some titles are hard as nails to find and others not so.

Here's the full Wand discography.

https://solidhitsoul.com/wandlabel3.html

As far as Wand 70's sounds are concerned, the monster in waiting is Clara Lewis "Needing You" ... it continues to get overlooked on the northern scene ... even after it's famous appearance on the classic Disco Gold LP in a longer dance mix ...

The Clara Lewis record will come to haunt many a collector if they don't grab one now ... the intriguing thing is whether this was ever issued with a different flipside .. I think the discography is erroneous in this regard in that it lists the Clara Lewis record as vocal & instro whereas I'm led to believe that it only exists as vocal only with one side mono & one stereo ... anyone ?

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

The "sick" on the label is in fact the froth on the top of a cup of cappuccino, seeking to reflect the label's hip and uptown heritage, but really just looking like a pile of sick.

I was in Amsterdam nearly twenty years ago and walking through the part of town near the National Gallery in the middle of the night (as you do). On Veemarktstraat was a record shop which looked fascinating: peering in through the door you could see lots of US 45s stuck on the wall, several of which were of the orange 70s Wand variety. I remember wondering if they included things like Will Hatcher etc. Went back the following day and came back with a great haul of general soul records, including about ten copies of Will Hatcher on Wand, Bobby Harris's Turntable 45s, all the Theola Kilgore records, loads of things on Sound Stage 7 and Seventy 7 and a few of the Canadian/Jamaican albums by the likes of Glenn Ricketts. Happy days.

Social source share

Here's the full Wand discography.

https://solidhitsoul.com/wandlabel3.html

Do you want me to fill the gaps in and correct the ones which aren't quite right? :lol:

It's a good start though....Steve

Off the top of me head 11277 is J Kelly & premiers - top sweet soul also came out on Roadshow. In fact it has a Roadshow matrix number but a Wand 'sickie' label.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Yes, great version Sebastian, but Ultra High Frequency's version is one of the greatest Philly records ever !!! wink.gif

Like the south shore commission, this is actually a chicago group that recorded in philly. Danny Johnson, later of the Chilites, was a member.

Social source share

Thanks for the info Steve (amongst others) - Have wondered about some of the releases. And some great 45s out there - thanks for the posts guys.

LTG Exchange / General Crook (Now there's a talent!) always nestle in my 'often' played pile. Not heard the Lee Charles or the Reflection 45s tho.

Many thanks

Rich

Edited by harrogatesoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert