Young Movers Need Pride

An appeal to the board...

As a young twenty something, I first started coming on here because I genuinely believed this was the only place to come for a kid like me, enthusiastic to get into the scene, to learn, appreciate, get tips on tunes, and generally discuss the music I love with likeminded soulies.

However the longer Im here the more I get put off by the fact I come on every day and rather than be excited about the discussions that go on, I get downtrodden by the fact the scene is full of old sceptics, cynics, score settlers, grudge bearers, back stabbers and generable miserablism.

Every thread I open seems to be about some long held grudge that has come to fruition via internet sniping rather than actual real life discussion. While there are many threads that fill me full of enthusiasm and pride at being part of this beautiful thing, the many that I have to trawl through full of hate, spite, namecalling and petty bickering make me think: Do I really want to actually be part of this "scene" and carry on playing and promoting the tunes I love or will being part of such a negative environment eventually wear me down into a similar cynical stage to the point where I'm more concerned about one upmanship than actually appreciating and passing on the music I love so much?

I worry about my current generation when I go to do's and am approached by snakes from all sides, told certain people are useless, only interested in justifying their collections, dont pay attention to current dancefloor feelings, too interested in flogging commerical shite than keeping the scene "real" (whatever that means these days..) Thats why rather than getting into the UK nights I feel more drawn to the continent that has less argumentative bullshit and more people prepared to enthuse about the music than the politics.

Thank f*** I dont listen to any of them and tread my own path, because if I did I'd be fifty before I'm twenty five.

So to those who think internet name calling and vulturing is a progressive pastime; think about us young ones who are being put off by the elitism, attitude and negativity we encounter on the scene and on boards like this.

You're killing our enthusiam and killing the future of a scene you've worked so hard to sustain through all these years. I dont want to look at my elders with disdain at the fact they spend more time slating others than promoting that they love. Remember that passion and new found enthusiam you once felt and dont get bogged down with internal bickering that kills the scene amongst those who should be keeping the flame burning.

Love and hope.

Dont destroy that you love.

A Rusholme Ruffian.

Edited by whatkindoflady?
Social source share

• Replies 63
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest edsuede

As a young twenty something, I first started coming on here because I genuinely believed this was the only place to come for a kid like me, enthusiastic to get into the scene, to learn, appreciate, get tips on tunes, and generally discuss the music I love with likeminded soulies.

However the longer Im here the more I get put off by the fact I come on every day and rather than be excited about the discussions that go on, I get downtrodden by the fact the scene is full of old sceptics, cynics, score settlers, grudge bearers, back stabbers and generable miserablism.

Every thread I open seems to be about some long held grudge that has come to fruition via internet sniping rather than actual real life discussion. While there are many threads that fill me full of enthusiasm and pride at being part of this beautiful thing, the many that I have to trawl through full of hate, spite, namecalling and petty bickering make me think: Do I really want to actually be part of this "scene" and carry on playing and promoting the tunes I love or will being part of such a negative environment eventually wear me down into a similar cynical stage to the point where I'm more concerned about one upmanship than actually appreciating and passing on the music I love so much?

I worry about my current generation when I go to do's and am approached by snakes from all sides, told certain people are useless, only interested in justifying their collections, dont pay attention to current dancefloor feelings, too interested in flogging commerical shite than keeping the scene "real" (whatever that means these days..) Thats why rather than getting into the UK nights I feel more drawn to the continent that has less argumentative bullshit and more people prepared to enthuse about the music than the politics.

Thank f*** I dont listen to any of them and tread my own path, because if I did I'd be fifty before I'm twenty five.

So to those who think internet name calling and vulturing is a progressive pastime; think about us young ones who are being put off by the elitism, attitude and negativity we encounter on the scene and on boards like this.

You're killing our enthusiam and killing the future of a scene you've worked so hard to sustain through all these years. I dont want to look at my elders with disdain at the fact they spend more time slating others than promoting that they love. Remember that passion and new found enthusiam you once felt and dont get bogged down with internal bickering that kills the scene amongst those who should be keeping the flame burning.

Love and hope.

A Rusholme Ruffian.

:lol::unsure: Well done for putting this thread on - in my view it's a pretty accurate take on SOME of the more visible and vocal elements of our scene me thinks!

However, the reality of any scene is that there will always be politics (good and bad)! Just take some consolation from the fact that the scene is now so big and varied that no one cliche owns it - just take from it want you want and not what others try to persuade you into thinking you need!

Despite the impression that SOME threads on here give, our scene is still full of decent, grounded folk of all ages who genuinely love this music and who welcome others without first wanting to examine their record collections, etc!!! :thumbup:

Social source share

biggrin.gif:unsure: Well done for putting this thread on - in my view it's a pretty accurate take on SOME of the more visible and vocal elements of our scene me thinks!

However, the reality of any scene is that there will always be politics (good and bad)! Just take some consolation from the fact that the scene is now so big and varied that no one cliche owns it - just take from it want you want and not what others try to persuade you into thinking you need!

Despite the impression that SOME threads on here give, our scene is still full of decent, grounded folk of all ages who genuinely love this music and who welcome others without first wanting to examine their record collections, etc!!! :lol:

Also let's not forget that the Northern Soul scene has always been full of cantankerous characters - it's part of the nature of what has always been an elite scene.

When anyone came onto the scene in the early 70's they were automatically classed as 'Divs' or 'Wallies'. It was like a form of induction or baptism by fire into a scene, which, despite what you read on here, doesn't suffer fools gladly. Maybe it's because the Northern scene requires a bit of passion and dedication and that idealogy continues to this day as can be evidenced by this very forum.

Also despite the harshness of some of the contributors on here, most people I think have a healthy respect for each other. It's 'the devil you know' and the 'he's a twat but he's OUR twat' type of syndrome....... :shades:

All that's happened, is that Soul Source and the Internet has provided a means of people actually airing their views to all and sundry instead of just at various events or via fanzines, as in the past. So naturally the loudest, most controversial and most obnoxious ones among us tend to get in there quick LOL! :thumbup:

Ian D

Social source share

What an absolute load of cack!

The "Soul Source" for a start is full of experienced DJ's, Collectors, Dancers and Soul Fans who span five generations of Northernsoul music so you will always get a mixed opinion on every thing.

Northernsoul is NOT about the internet, it is not about words it is not about opinion it is not about threads and who said this and who said that and it is not about listening to mp3 files sat alone in your bedroom in-between playing Command and Conquer!

The Northernsoul Scene is about Allnighter, not some over inflated egotistical train spotter with more records than he could ever play nor is it about listening to their opinions. The day I find my self dancing along side a DJ or a dealer will be the day I value their opinion or record choice.

"Old sceptics, cynics, score settlers, grudge bearers, back stabbers and generable miserablism". That is a small insignificant part of our scene that gets more coverage than it deserves due to the internet. Soul Source is great but it is as fake as a Tranny's fanny!

The only thing of any worth on this forum is the vast depth of knowledge, don't ever listen to or get wrapped up in any ones opinion coz they are all toss pots..................... except e of course me :unsure:

Get the sen to Midelton that's where its happening not on the internet.

Edited by ImberBoy
Social source share

wise words from a youngster..very refreshing but do not be put off because of internet forums...personally i think a lot of things are said via a keyboard that maybe wouldnt face to face...its one of the drawbacks of tinternet and not just soul sites let alone this one !...although the majority do not necessarily hold those views posted

over the years ive been a regular in many different scenes as music is everything...and whether it be scooter do,a reggae night where im the only white face,drum and bass,stomping in a somerset field all night with a load of ravers or your high st rnb/funky house shit you cannot beat a northern crowd when you are out and about,the most polite and passionate bunch ever where the music is all that counts...this is all that matters at the end of the day

Social source share

Love and hope.

A Rusholme Ruffian.

===================

I really agree with a lot of your sentiments, but despite that the 'miserable cynic' in me can't help wondering about your timing? :lol:

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Love and hope.

A Rusholme Ruffian.

Well, very interesting stuff. COULD YOU TELL US WHY ITS AN ANONYMOUS POST? You articulate 'young thing'. :lol:

Social source share

Well, very interesting stuff. COULD YOU TELL US WHY ITS AN ANONYMOUS POST? You articulate 'young thing'. huh.gif

:lol: Lets examine the facts, whooo lives in a body like this ?

He/she says "carry on playing and promoting the tunes" so could be a DJ or Promoter ? Or maybe a producer of some sort ?

He/she has a bit of a persecution complex & admits to being downtrodden , "I get downtrodden"

He/she admits to enjoying getting one over on someone !

"or will being part of such a negative environment eventually wear me down into a similar cynical stage to the point where I'm more concerned about one upmanship than actually appreciating and passing on the music I love so much?"

But the biggest clue lies in the line "As a young twenty something"

So lets add up all the clues, whooo lives in a body like this ??

Please welcome the one & only real life peter pan Mr Ian Levine (rapturous applause)

:lol: Ooops, I'm turning into one of these said cynical bullies !

Just a joke, honest :huh::lol:

Social source share

Love and hope.

A Rusholme Ruffian.

You only joined yesterday,you get bored easy or what :lol: wheres Rusholme?.

Social source share

I don't think anybody's opinion should be trashed as absolute cack, unless it's absolute cack of course.

we are a wide church & mudslinging has been going on since day one. I'm of the opinion that

everybody should keep the odd defamatory epithet up their sleeve, 'cos one never knows when one might be tempted to 'draw the sword'. here's a few to be going on with, thanks to sir thomas urquhart of course:

prattling gabbler, lickorous glutton, freckled bittor, mangy rascal, shite-a-bed scoundrel, drunken royster, sly knave, drowsy loiterer, slapsauce fellow, slabberdegullion druggel, lubberly lout, cozening fox, ruffian rogue, paltry customer, sycophant-varlet, drawlatch hoyden, flouting milksop, jeering companion, staring clown, forlorn snake, ninny lobcock, scurvy sneaksby, fondling fop, base loon, saucy coxcomb, idle lusk, scoffing braggart, noddy meacock, blockish grutnol, doddipol-jolthead, jobbernol goosecap, foolish loggerhead, flutch calf-lolly, grouthead gnat-snapper, lob-dotterel, gaping changeling, codshead looby, woodcock slangam, ninny-hammer flycatcher, noddypeak simpleton, turdy gut and shitten shepherd.

Macca.

Social source share

:lol: Lets examine the facts, whooo lives in a body like this ?

He/she says "carry on playing and promoting the tunes" so could be a DJ or Promoter ? Or maybe a producer of some sort ?

He/she has a bit of a persecution complex & admits to being downtrodden , "I get downtrodden"

He/she admits to enjoying getting one over on someone !

"or will being part of such a negative environment eventually wear me down into a similar cynical stage to the point where I'm more concerned about one upmanship than actually appreciating and passing on the music I love so much?"

But the biggest clue lies in the line "As a young twenty something"

So lets add up all the clues, whooo lives in a body like this ??

Please welcome the one & only real life peter pan Mr Ian Levine (rapturous applause)

blush.gif Ooops, I'm turning into one of these said cynical bullies !

Just a joke, honest :huh::lol:

See you are back on form :lol:

And as for downtrodden, it is your place as a SS LAAS eunoch to be trodden on so get over it, its your job, nobody said it was going to easy :lol: That dance floor hasn't been tended to for a few weeks since you have been away so get back to SS LAAS until your chores are done :lol:

QoFxx

Social source share

Hi Rusholme Ruffian,i too am from Manchester..Please make yourself known to us,always nice to meet new soul folk in the same area....Some of the posts get get the most coverage are not above love love love,just like sensational news items and the like...The good points about this forum and the decent people on it really do outway the other stuff..Just avoid it,you can tell from most post titles if its gonna be positive or not...I think one of the big topic of the last week was just that in a strange way...Some people got answers they have been asking for a long time,Kirsty got an email from and a few gifts for a charity...Public relations back on track :thumbup: ...I don't thinks its any different to the last 20 years,its just that its more in your face because of the internet forums...I know people who say far worse things about people off-line and so its light relief on here sometimes...Drop us a pm Rusholme Ruffian...

Steve

Social source share

me thinks its an imposter posing as a young voice of reason! :thumbup:

nah, I dont, and I think she's got a bloody good point. Must admit, some of her points have crossed my mind too. :thumbup:

Jayne.

Social source share

Not sure myself Pete...I am sure the Ruffian from Rusholme will tell you in the introduction box :thumbup: ...

Well it's hard to be proud of a scene if it becomes full of people behaving like to$$ers how ever much you love the music...maybe thats what she's getting at...

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Young Movers Need Pride!

what the hell does this sentence mean, nothing as far as I can tell, I reckon it's an anagram!

What or who are "young movers"? Why do they need pride?

It is an anagram Pete... :thumbup:

"Everyone's odd impugner."

"Survey open-minded ogre."

"O My! On dried-up revenges."

"Moody revenges in prude."

"Greedsome envy in proud."

"Moody revenger up snide."

"Very doomed up sneering."

"Guy or even-minded poser."

"Moody, undeserving peer."

"Sorry! Up even-minded ego."

"O My! Serene VIP underdog."

"Greedy 'n' viperous demon."

"Nervy or unimpeded egos."

"Spy or even-minded rogue."

"O My God! Pure nerd envies."

"God! Viperous enemy nerd."

"Envy up or one-sided germ."

"Dopey or deserving menu."

"Domineer envy super dog."

"Dodgy, uneven or premise."

"Envy up or desired gnome."

"Is moody revenger up end."

"Green-eyed spiv or on mud."

"Goody! Vein supreme nerd."

"Dire egos envy up modern."

"Everyone promised dung."

"Nosy, impure, odd revenge."

"Pseudonym or I revenged."

"Younger or peeved minds."

"I'm dopey, sound revenger."

"Proven younger misdeed."

"I revenge noddy supremo."

"Envy so murdered pigeon."

"Everyone presuming odd."

"Deprive good enemy runs."

"Giddy me or uneven poser."

"Sure dying peeved moron."

"I'm proved, dense younger."

"Very nor unimpeded egos."

"Remedy on proved genius."

What am I doing.. I should be studying!

Social source share

bleedin' ell Joan you have toooo much time on your hands :thumbup::D

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

It is an anagram Pete... :D

blah blah blah blah blah blah

studying? i think you might need a couple of weeks in the priory joan

:thumbup:

you seem to be having delusions that you are dylan thomas

:huh:

good weekend was it?

Social source share

LOL!!.. :thumbup: ..

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Bored today then Joan :thumbup::D

QoFxx

Social source share

Yep, could you please do us an intro in the intros forum. Ta.

Oh and as far as I know the soul scene's been full of bickering and arguing for years - anything which involves people, money, egos, personality clashes etc will always have that side. The internet incarnation is just a reflection (albeit an intensified one) of that. I doubt it's going to change now and I doubt it's going to completely self destruct because of it. You just have to take it or leave it and get involved as deeply (or not) as you want.

Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

"Old sceptics, cynics, score settlers, grudge bearers, back stabbers and generable miserablism". That is a small insignificant part of our scene that gets more coverage than it deserves due to the internet. Soul Source is great but it is as fake as a Tranny's fanny!

The only thing of any worth on this forum is the vast depth of knowledge, don't ever listen to or get wrapped up in any ones opinion

FECKIN' CLASS FUNNY REMARKS :thumbup::thumbup::D:huh::lol::lol:

Edited by FrostyJak
Social source share

Anagram Genius strikes again!

Social source share

I too am a youngster and relatively new to the scene and if there is one bit of advice i can give you about Soul Source it would be, ignore all the old people and just listen to me and you will go far :thumbup: but dont ask me anything about the music cos i know nafff all and thats when you have to talk to the old people but only then :thumbup:

Bearsy

Social source share

I too am a youngster and relatively new to the scene and if there is one bit of advice i can give you about Soul Source it would be, ignore all the old people and just listen to me and you will go far :ohmy: but dont ask me anything about the music cos i know nafff all and thats when you have to talk to the old people but only then :thumbup:

Bearsy

Oi you, we'll have less of that, get back home, us girls are waiting for our cocktails biggrin.gif

QoFxx

Social source share

You only joined yesterday,you get bored easy or what :ohmy: wheres Rusholme?.

hi ken

Rusholme is in manchester , if you want a good curry it is where the curry mile is located. very student oriented area as it is close to the university.

also been no sign of a reply since the original post :thumbup:

mark

Social source share

We do all know that Rusholme Ruffians is a song by The Smiths, right?

:thumbup: Heaven knows ?

Reading all this, I'm miserable now :lol::thumbup:

:ohmy: Or is that an admition of guilt Pete biggrin.gif ?

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

We do all know that Rusholme Ruffians is a song by The Smiths, right?

Also the word Miserablism ( "A generable miserablism"). A song by the pet shop boys. I don't think its a real word, although i'm sure I'll be suitably embiggened by a member who says it is. :thumbup:

Social source share

nah, I dont, and I think she's got a bloody good point. Must admit, some of her points have crossed my mind too. :lol:

Jayne.

==================

I think she makes some excellent points, it's just I like to know who I'm agreeing with. An intro from the young lady wouldn't go amiss and would add some credibility to her statement. As I said earlier her timing just seems a little suspect, considering what's been said on here over the last week or so. :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

she made some good points and would like her to introduce herself. But like many said too many on here or wherever who think because we are young we can't be accepted is it a net thing because i would wonder how many people can go up to someone on the scene and slag them off or do they have to talk about them behined there back.

I never listen to a lot of people cause there is a few i know on this scene who are nice and even i had been out and had the few who come to speak to me they appriciate i am out there to support it at my age if others don't it will die because we won't want to carry it on when certain people won't give us the respect

Social source share

Rusholme Ruffian :lol:more like lord Lucan :thumbup: How many more different accounts can he have on this site.... :thumbsup: ...

Looking forward to meeting this ruffian indeed...

Mmmm...a very"mature" post from someone so young...and Mr Manchester Cato doesn't know her from Adam....nor do I :thumbup: although maybe PaulB can account for Morrissey's mate as he used to hang around those parts and is around the same age.

Unless the poster comes on here and identifies themself I would take this posting with a large dose of salt.

Edited by reg
Social source share

Mmmm...a very"mature" post from someone so young...and Mr Manchester Cato doesn't know her from Adam....nor do I :lol: although maybe PaulB can account for Morrissey's mate as he used to hang around those parts and is around the same age.

Unless the poster comes on here and identifies themself I would take this posting with a large dose of salt.

WELL SAID REG. :lol: Loads of you agreeing with a pseudo youngster, posing under a fictitious name and not prepared to identify themselves. Just about sums it all up really. :lol:

Social source share

WELL SAID REG. :lol: Loads of you agreeing with a pseudo youngster, posing under a fictitious name and not prepared to identify themselves. Just about sums it all up really. :lol:

Dont care who posted it, whether it's a pseudo youngster or not, the post contained some good points.

I wouldn't agree with a statement based upon knowing who made it.

Jayne.

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

...and Mr Manchester Cato doesn't know her from Adam....nor do I :thumbsup: .....

But if the poster is anonymous how do either of you know you don't know her? Do you know that you don't know her or do you know that you don't know if you know her? Or are you not sure?

Let me put it another way - Is she a known unknown or an unknown unknown?

Arrrrgh - it's him!

6_21_080306_rumsfeld.jpg

Social source share

Try the mod scene theres no bickering or sniping on those forums, everyones really friendly.

I was thinking just that,maybe i am going to the wrong things,out every weekend both

mod and soul nights and end up having a brilliant time,i am sure there are all kinds of negative things going on,like there is in life generaly. I see friends, hear the best music

in the world and dance my arse off every weekend,but thats me! i love the music and thats all i hear, if you find people like that ,dont listen just dance.I know lots of the

younger ones on the scene (i am not one of the younger ones ) now they did say

the had negative reaction from some old soulies,me thinks that may come down to jealousy ,tell them to --ck off and find people who are there to enjoy biggrin.gif or be like

me and become a mod, you know it makes sense :( dont let anything put you off,because if you like the music,you will never look back.

Here endeth the lesson , now help me down of my soap box youngster :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert